Blocks & Decoration ⦉ Life, Death, and Blood Candles ⦊

Zyraphim

The Destroyer

⟜⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⊸ 🛆 ⟜⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⊸

Rainbow_Life_Candle.png

Life Candle

Peace Candle + 5 Luminite Bars @ Ancient Manipulator OR Peace Candle transmuted after Moon Lord

Disables all spawns, including critters and trapped NPCs. Bosses, statue enemies, and Old One's Army enemies will still be able to spawn. Just like Peace and Water Candles, a Life and a Death Candle placed together with cancel each other out. Functionally identical to Journey's 0x spawn rate.

⟜⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⊸ 🛆 ⟜⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⊸

Death_Candle.png

Death Candle

Water Candle + 5 Luminite Bars @ Ancient Manipulator OR Water Candle transmuted after Moon Lord

Increases spawn rates to the highest possible in Terraria. When placed in towns, the spawn rate of critters will be massively increased. Functionally identical to Journey's 10x spawn rate.

⟜⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⊸ 🛆 ⟜⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⊸

Blood_Candle.png

Blood Candle

Torch + 3 Hellstone Bars @ Work Bench

Nullifies the safety of walls. Allows enemies to spawn inside player-made structures. Useful for decorating farms or arenas or if you hate the Angler and want zombies to spawn in his house.

⟜⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⊸ 🛆 ⟜⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⊸

Last edited:
Seeing that they're post-ML, I'm ok with it. The effects are very, very strong, but you're postgame, so it's not like you need to be concerned about it. However, I don't think the Death Candle giving you 10x spawn rates is a good idea. In general, I don't like adding Journey Mode features into regular gameplay.

It's a bit humourous that candles' names are quite the opposite of what they are doing.

Do the candles deserve to be that far in game progression though?

You see, the Life Candle is actually just a really strong scented candle that makes mobs want stay at home, relax, hang out with the boys, and they don't have to become a pile of meat because of you! This is the definitely, absolutely, 100% real and thought out reason that I most definitely did not make up 5 minutes ago. The candles can be moved to whatever stage of progression Re-Logic sees fit, but I chose post-Moon Lord because this is quite OP.

Seeing that they're post-ML, I'm ok with it. The effects are very, very strong, but you're postgame, so it's not like you need to be concerned about it. However, I don't think the Death Candle giving you 10x spawn rates is a good idea. In general, I don't like adding Journey Mode features into regular gameplay.

And I don't like that mapmakers can't utilise cool features that the game already has in regular gameplay without compromising and needing the player to be in Journey with specific settings. Ideally, we would have a "command block" equivalent, but that would be too large of a request so I'm settling for the next best thing.

And I don't like that mapmakers can't utilise cool features that the game already has in regular gameplay without compromising and needing the player to be in Journey with specific settings. Ideally, we would have a "command block" equivalent, but that would be too large of a request so I'm settling for the next best thing.
It's a shame, but personally I prioritize playthrough balance over mapmaking tools.

This is a pretty neat idea, though I'm not one to play for much longer after Moon Lord. The Death Candle specifically would be beneficial to map builders who need enemy / critter based resources to complete their builds outside of a Journey Mode world. Much of that farming time could be significantly decreased.

Bosses, statue enemies, and OOA enemies will still be able to spawn.
I'll admit I forgot about the Old One's Army so I've been scratching my head on the acronym "OOA" for a bit too long. Probably could add a footnote or something that clarifies its definition.

Last edited:
Sorry, I'm just a little bit confused about the Blood Candle. Does that mean that enemies can spawn in front of player-placed walls? Or does it mean that standing in front of player-placed walls won't stop monsters from spawning? Because if it's the latter, the Shadow Candle already does that. If it's the former... I guess it's ok? It would allow you to place walls in farms without harming their effectiveness, but a lot of farms use walls to narrow down or eliminate spawn locations, so it has really limited use cases, unless I'm thinking about this the wrong way.

I'll admit I forgot about the Old One's Army so I've been scratching my head on the acronym "OOA" for a bit too long. Probably could add a footnote or something that clarifies its definition.

I edited it now

Does that mean that enemies can spawn in front of player-placed walls?

Yes and I changed the description of the Blood Candle for better clarification

but a lot of farms use walls to narrow down or eliminate spawn locations, so it has really limited use cases, unless I'm thinking about this the wrong way.

Not sure about other farms, but I know that lava does a much better job at spawnproofing in a standard volcano farm than walls. Can I know which farms use walls for spawnproofing? Genuine question.

Not sure about other farms, but I know that lava does a much better job at spawnproofing in a standard volcano farm than walls. Can I know which farms use walls for spawnproofing? Genuine question.
Many farms built underground fill the bottom half of the screen with walls instead of just using lava, so as to better prevent the spawning of flying enemies like bats. I will admit that I'm not extremely well-versed in Terraria's spawning mechanics, so it's entirely possible that walls are not necessary for this, but I've seen many, many farms use walls.

There are some genuine farms that do require background walls, but there are people who don't know lava is better. I have had to help out a lot of people who would add walls to the bottom of their AFK farm as well as lava, sticking for genuine situations there are some like Dinochess' AFK money farm does require one

Many farms built underground fill the bottom half of the screen with walls instead of just using lava, so as to better prevent the spawning of flying enemies like bats. I will admit that I'm not extremely well-versed in Terraria's spawning mechanics, so it's entirely possible that walls are not necessary for this, but I've seen many, many farms use walls.

Well, you learn something new every day. Next time you build a farm, just fill the bottom with lava. Saves you a lot of time.

There are some genuine farms that do require background walls, but there are people who don't know lava is better. I have had to help out a lot of people who would add walls to the bottom of their AFK farm as well as lava, sticking for genuine situations there are some like Dinochess' AFK money farm does require one

I see. In that case, yes, the Blood Candle wouldn't be used for anything. Regardless, it's still a good tool for builders and mapmakers.

Back
Top Bottom