NPCs & Enemies 2 NPC Ideas!

BeMagnificentt

Terrarian
Monster Hunter

The Monster Hunter will function like the angler. She will give quests to go out and kill certain enemies to retrieve their "remains" quests look something like this:
- " Go out and get a Vulture Remains"
giving her the remains will give you a prize, such as unique weapons. Remains have a 100% drop chance ( while youre on the quest )

Prequisets:

- Have defeated 6 bosses ( includes Lepus and Turkor )
- Have defeated 20 different enemies ( defeating 2 demon eyes only count as one entry but defeating a demon eye and a slime counts as 2 )

when attacked, she will use a bone shaped sword to attack the enemy

Zoologist

The Zoologist will provide a player with the Biocodex. The Biocodex is a book that whenever you kill a monster or get killed by one will add its entry to the book. The entry will show monster stats, drops, rarity, and a short description of it. Pretty much the wiki. Example:

- Green Slime: 14 health, 6 damage, no defense. A good way to get gel! These slimes will not attack you unless its night time. either way, have you tried eating it? No? okay.... they spawn on surface biomes and are weaker than most of their cousins.

The Zoologist will also sell a variety of Eggs, which spawn critters.

when attacked, the Zoologist will will use a magical spell to make all critters nearby become hostile torwards attackers, the critters dont have much health ( more tan they usually do) and do low damage by themselves, but together can make up a nice little horde.

Monster Hunter

I'm not sure about this one, her quests sound an awful lot like those tedious "kill 20 zombies" sorts of things.

One suggestion that I think will make it more exciting, in my opinion at least, is to have special enemy variants spawn when she gives a quest. She gives a quest to slay a vulture miniboss, which now starts spawning in the desert as soon as the quest begins. The vulture miniboss would drop its remains, which would be turned in for treasure.

- Have defeated 6 bosses ( includes Lepus and Turkor )

Do you intend to make this exclusive to the mobile version? Also, can't those two bosses only be summoned during their respective holidays? It's a kind of weird thing to add.

Zoologist

This one just seems kind of unecessary. If anything, that sounds more like a functionality we could give to the Guide NPC. The critter eggs are an interesting idea, though.

I'm not sure about this one, her quests sound an awful lot like those tedious "kill 20 zombies" sorts of things.

One suggestion that I think will make it more exciting, in my opinion at least, is to have special enemy variants spawn when she gives a quest. She gives a quest to slay a vulture miniboss, which now starts spawning in the desert as soon as the quest begins. The vulture miniboss would drop its remains, which would be turned in for treasure.

Do you intend to make this exclusive to the mobile version? Also, can't those two bosses only be summoned during their respective holidays? It's a kind of weird thing to add.
i meant like one enemy so it will be like " go get a antlion remains" and yo would only need one. nevertheless your idea is way better than mine so im changing it lol.

and the includes turkor and lepus part isn't exclusive, its just they also count for the 6 total, you don have to fight them, they just add an extra killed boss, same as how lepus can spawn dryad ( i think )

and the guide already has a function, plus i would like to keep the critter eggs in so they would be gone because they wouldn't fit with the guide. i guess maybe the dryad could take them? idk. but the zoologist was going to have extra functions like be able to explain biomes but i thought it would be too extra.

I would lower the remains drop rate to 5 or 10, as then you would have to grind a little bit to retrieve them

If you got a fishing quest and the first fish you caught was the quest fish it wouldn't make for a very interesting quest

But otherwise you have my full support

Oh good, this is certainly something I was interested in. I would honestly combine the two, resulting in an NPC that has a keen interest in the different monsters out there. Perhaps refine the concept a bit more?

1. Let's start with the quests, shall we? Expand on what you've suggested so far.
a) Standard gather quests which asks you to hunt down regular mooks and enemies for their drops/remains. These could offer the more common rewards like Hunter and Dangersense Potions, pocket change, and other minor loot
b) Hunter quests which have you track down new subspecies using only clues of the general location being given by the NPC's ramblings. These might offer better rewards like Accessories and Tools.
c) Mystery quests or surprise quests. These would be the real attraction, I think. These would be the unique enemies, your minibosses, the likes of Mimics and Nymphs with high HP and defense. The NPC will tell you about rumors of an unidentified monster along with what the source was doing at the time, and your job is to figure out what the key trigger is. A successful endeavor will see the player get to engage the enemy monster and earn some unique vanity and monster themed weapons.

2. The Bestiary side. True, some of this could be given to the Guide and Dryad, but... what if the NPC's inventory depended on how complete the player's monster experience is? Either one time gift on milestones, or new items in stock. It would likely be based on number killed, rather than banners, though I imagine showing and registering the banners would have its own reward as well as the trophies for the bosses.

3. Lore - Sure Terraria is lacking in story. We have a natural progression in the bosses, but .. we really don't know why this has happened. This MIGHT actually be able to dovetail with the Mystery Quests as well, if the Terraria staff is so inclined. I'm proposing that some of the mini-bosses have Tablets which share the tale of Terraria, or perhaps you're tracking down locations, and are attacked when you discover them by whatever monsters made it their home. You can bring these back to the NPC and a library will be available that have snippets on the history of Terraria, studies of the different mobs, etc. Give context behind some of the events that happen, that sort of thing. Of course, the mystery quests wouldn't be a one-time thing.

Oh good, this is certainly something I was interested in. I would honestly combine the two, resulting in an NPC that has a keen interest in the different monsters out there. Perhaps refine the concept a bit more?

1. Let's start with the quests, shall we? Expand on what you've suggested so far.
a) Standard gather quests which asks you to hunt down regular mooks and enemies for their drops/remains. These could offer the more common rewards like Hunter and Dangersense Potions, pocket change, and other minor loot
b) Hunter quests which have you track down new subspecies using only clues of the general location being given by the NPC's ramblings. These might offer better rewards like Accessories and Tools.
c) Mystery quests or surprise quests. These would be the real attraction, I think. These would be the unique enemies, your minibosses, the likes of Mimics and Nymphs with high HP and defense. The NPC will tell you about rumors of an unidentified monster along with what the source was doing at the time, and your job is to figure out what the key trigger is. A successful endeavor will see the player get to engage the enemy monster and earn some unique vanity and monster themed weapons.

2. The Bestiary side. True, some of this could be given to the Guide and Dryad, but... what if the NPC's inventory depended on how complete the player's monster experience is? Either one time gift on milestones, or new items in stock. It would likely be based on number killed, rather than banners, though I imagine showing and registering the banners would have its own reward as well as the trophies for the bosses.

3. Lore - Sure Terraria is lacking in story. We have a natural progression in the bosses, but .. we really don't know why this has happened. This MIGHT actually be able to dovetail with the Mystery Quests as well, if the Terraria staff is so inclined. I'm proposing that some of the mini-bosses have Tablets which share the tale of Terraria, or perhaps you're tracking down locations, and are attacked when you discover them by whatever monsters made it their home. You can bring these back to the NPC and a library will be available that have snippets on the history of Terraria, studies of the different mobs, etc. Give context behind some of the events that happen, that sort of thing. Of course, the mystery quests wouldn't be a one-time thing.
oh wow nice ideas ill add them to te other thread i made

oh wow nice ideas ill add them to te other thread i made
Hi there @BeMagnificentt, we'd rather not have duplicate threads here, and I see that you've made another thread for the Monster Hunter NPC suggestion. Now you've got two - this thread and the other (https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/npc-idea-monster-hunter.62489).

So either, let's close the new one and you can edit this one to include all the details you want. Or let's edit this thread to be for the Zoologist NPC suggestion only and you can keep the other thread as the Monster Hunter suggestion.

Hi there @BeMagnificentt, we'd rather not have duplicate threads here, and I see that you've made another thread for the Monster Hunter NPC suggestion. Now you've got two - this thread and the other (https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/npc-idea-monster-hunter.62489).

So either, let's close the new one and you can edit this one to include all the details you want. Or let's edit this thread to be for the Zoologist NPC suggestion only and you can keep the other thread as the Monster Hunter suggestion.
yea i was trying to delete this tread but didnt know how. is there a way to delete this one? if there isnt ill just edit it to be zoologist

yea i was trying to delete this tread but didnt know how. is there a way to delete this one? if there isnt ill just edit it to be zoologist
It can't be deleted. I can lock it. But if you need a thread for the Zoologist suggestion, it's better to edit this one to be it, than to start a new thread.

Back
Top Bottom