Game Mechanics A new reforge for summoner class

McCorkleM

Terrarian
All the other classes have unique reforges or modifiers that make that class stronger. Like how Melee has the Legendary reforge, Ranger has Unreal, and Mage has Mythical and Mystic. "Ruthless" as the best Summoner reforge doesn't seem as special or unique to the class like the other major class reforges. I know Summoner can also get some Mage modifiers but Ruthless being the best for summoner doesn't feel as impactful.

Last edited:
I’ve struggled to come up with a unique modifier type for summoner staves for a long while. Melee gets size bonuses, ranged gets projectile velocity bonuses, and magic gets mana efficiency bonuses, but what would be unique to summoners?

First idea I had was making summons take up less slots, but the math behind that got weird because you get into fractional slot occupancy and before you can even see the benefits of it you have to already have hardmode levels of slot counts.

Second idea was a twist on the first, making it so you can get 1 or 2 “free summons” from a reforged staff (i.e. summons that don’t occupy a summon slot).

Third idea was aggro range, where minions could be made to chase after enemies at a longer distance from the player.

But just now I thought of a tag-damage multiplier, where a summon with the appropriate boost to their staff could get greater tag damage on whipped enemies than what the whip used would normally provide (10%, 20%, etc.).

Summoner class has been getting a lot of attention for a while now but this is the most obvious piece missing from the puzzle. But like many others pointed out, I also struggle to come up with a reasonable and useful reforge for summoner class. Balancing could be an issue.

All the other classes have unique reforges or modifiers that make that class stronger. Like how Melee has the Legendary reforge, Ranger has Unreal, and Mage has Mythical and Mystic. "Ruthless" as the best Summoner reforge doesn't seem as special or unique to the class like the other major class reforges. I know Summoner can also get some Mage modifiers but Ruthless being the best for summoner doesn't feel as impactful.

So what are you suggesting here? What would the reforge do?
that is something im still unsure about. Some bonuses could be movement speed increase for the summons, more damage, increased summoning speed, or summons could crit more. If you have any more ideas please let me know, thanks!

that is something im still unsure about. Some bonuses could be movement speed increase for the summons, more damage, increased summoning speed, or summons could crit more. If you have any more ideas please let me know, thanks!
The only issue though is that with menacing for accessories, legendary for Whips, and Mythical/Ruthless for staves all of that is pretty much covered.
Unfortunately I don't currently have any ideas, but I look forward to seeing what others think and where the suggestion goes!

Hi there @McCorkleM I have combined your two threads into one. We don’t allow “repost” threads or duplicate threads. :)

This is an interesting conundrum. Summon staves do not gain much (or any) benefit from increases to crit chance, speed, knockback or reduced mana cost. Obviously the solution is to increase stats that actually do matter to the minion. Most minions don't really benefit from moving faster, because most minions already move quite fast. Increases to minion attack speed could work, although some minions have physics or special rules that limit how beneficial this is, like the Flinx, Desert Tiger, and Spider. I think tag damage increases have potential, but it would need to be balanced carefully; there's a reason most whips do very small amounts of tag damage.

An easy solution might be to just keep Ruthless, remove the knockback penalty, and add a QOL perk:

Fabled
+18% damage
-100% mana cost

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom