A Powerful Minishark alternative

When Starting a new world I always seem to follow the same pattern of weapons up until Hardmode. In terms of Ranger that consists of: metal bows —> space gun —> minishark —> bees knees. With a few other weapons every so often. Somehow though, one weapon seemed to sneak under my radar. The Paintballgun

In order to obtain the Paintball gun you will have to do the following:

have 7 NPCs: Guide, Merchant, Dye Trader, Arms dealer, Nurse, Demolitionist, Angler
have suitable housing for the painter to arrive
Kill him. This can be done with drowning on PC and console or with lava if obtainable.
repeat step 3 until You get your prize

The paintball gun has a 10% drop chance from the painter so it should not take long till the weapon drops.

The weapon has many advantages over the minshark but also has some disadvantages.

Minishark.
- 6 base damage per shot
- insanely fast
- 33% chance not to use ammo
- 4% crit chance
- no Knockback
- auto fire
- low effort. cost 35 gold.
- 7 velocity
- can be upgraded In Hardmode
- Straight firing.

Paintball Gun
- 12 damage
- fast
- No ammo usage
- 11% crit chance
- Extremely Weak Knockback
- 3 round burst
- high effort. Free... if the painter means nothing to you.
- 10 velocity
- bears little to no use in Hardmode
- arching projectiles.
- plus 100 points for style. :cool:

Both weapons gain increases with the Unreal prefix and the shark tooth necklace is recommended.

If your looking to start a Ranger playthrough a bit differently then why not give it a shot

Thank you for coming to my TED talk

Last edited:
Personally I absolutely hate the various weapons NPCs drop. I mean, what a waste of space, considering you have to purposely do the opposite of what logic dictates to obtain them. They should just sell the damn things so more than 1% of the playerbase uses them.

Personally I absolutely hate the various weapons NPCs drop. I mean, what a waste of space, considering you have to purposely do the opposite of what logic dictates to obtain them. They should just sell the damn things so more than 1% of the playerbase uses them.

I think this is something I have to agree with. I hadn’t a clue about any npc drops for the longest time and I’d say that goes for a lot of new players to terraria. The only really way to obtain it is by stumbling into it by chance which isn’t very likely.

I think the game just needs a way to kill NPC's easier. Technically Rotten Eggs do damage to NPC's, but nowhere near enough to kill them. If there was a way like a certain type of ammo to damage NPC's, that'd be really nice. And a great way to get revenge on the Angler...

I think the game just needs a way to kill NPC's easier. Technically Rotten Eggs do damage to NPC's, but nowhere near enough to kill them. If there was a way like a certain type of ammo to damage NPC's, that'd be really nice. And a great way to get revenge on the Angler...
Try boulders. You can make them at a tinkerers workshop with stone.

Killing your own NPCs is a bit counterintuitive, considering that a player (Specially a new one) would expect to not be rewarded by getting their NPCs killed.

Another strangely powerful NPC weapon is the Exotic Scimitar, which is more powerful than most swords obtainable without defeating bosses.

I don't think it's auto fire. It shoots in burst then you have to click it again in order to shoot again. At least for me.

Back
Top Bottom