Weapons & Equip Accessory - Tails

Xemgoa

Plantera
So we have wings that allow us to fly for an amount of time, why not have tails as an accessory? The idea is that this would have useful applications like wings-- Not as another vanity costume. Let's turn our attention from vanity and more to functionality please.

Tails work like utility, when equipped the player will have a tail that can do various things for the player.

Several suggestions as what the tail can do is:
  • A monkey tail that extends item grabbing from behind, grabs items when their within range and adds to the players inventory.
  • A dove tail that allows free flight, hold the jump button when flying, and you can hover about into any direction, using the directional buttons. Flight time still depends on the wings, and do not allow infinite flight.
  • A cat tail that lets you walk on the surface of back wall, certain foreground surfaces that players cannot stand on, and climb up surfaces.
  • A dino tail that acts like a club, automatically swinging at enemies who come into reach and knocks them back.
  • A dog tail (for aesthetics) that the speed at which it wags depends on your health, the lower the slower.
  • A platypus tail that just knocks back enemies a small distance.
  • A Demon tail that inflicts a weak but short lived curse on enemies that comes into reach (Works like poison for a short duration)
  • A eyeball on a tail that works like half-as-effective spelunker potion so long as the accessory is equipped.
  • A tiger tail that induces a constant hunter effect, so long as the accessory is equipped
  • A Spider-monkey tail that works like a grapple, but allows you to cling to different objects (Like trees)
  • A Lizard tail that breaks off, drawing enemy attention away from the player. Will grow back slowly.
  • A Porcupine tail that works like thorns when the enemy attacks from behind.
Credit to: Krasunir for suggesting

Tails can be procured through crafting from using specific material from just average everyday gains, with the exception of a tail bone; which can be procured from creatures that have a tail.

E.g., Turtle tail - combined with turtle shells, some ore of a pre-hardmode material, and a few tail bones to craft this utility accessory.

Last edited:
I could work with the "grab things from greater range" thing, but that's really about it. Letting it attack on its own is kind of stretching the definition of an accessory, and considering you're giving it a weapon but it becomes less effective, that's basically just a damage buff.

The speed buff thing just seems annoying.

To be honest, I don't think very many people would be willing to give up an accessory slot for this. As the above folks have said, probably better to keep as a vanity item.

I'd rather see tails as vanity.

Um, how about we stop with the vanity and add more functionality? :3 The idea was to add something functional. I suppose a few tails can be for vanity.

Aw. No credit.
Also,

I don't think that'd work without adding another two/three slots (equip, vanity and dye or just vanity and dye).

Agreed, also credit added.

Why PC only? Everyone does that and it's very annoying as mobile and console will (eventually) get it. I agree with @Pinelord

That is all I could think of, if the developers decide to take this suggestions, then they can go crazy across a variety of consoles.

I could work with the "grab things from greater range" thing, but that's really about it. Letting it attack on its own is kind of stretching the definition of an accessory, and considering you're giving it a weapon but it becomes less effective, that's basically just a damage buff.

The speed buff thing just seems annoying.

To be honest, I don't think very many people would be willing to give up an accessory slot for this. As the above folks have said, probably better to keep as a vanity item.

Well, I want it to be a functional accessory idea. I'm getting kinda tired of vanities. I follow a "functionality over fashion". Looking good will always come second in my book. (Which kind of alludes my idea of wearing tuxedos feels like a cardinal sin to me.)

Besides, if you don't experiment with it and find the applications for this idea rather then immediately dubbed it to be a vanity item, you won't find much use for it indeeed.

I think that since animals mostly have tails for balance, maybe it should increase crit chance? You're getting better accuracy, because you're balanced, so you can hit their weaker spots easier.

EDIT: @Blue Pyro, you do realise that this is a suggestion? Even if it's tagged as PC only, it doesn't necessarily matter because let's be honest, there's not much chance for it to be added anyway.

So? That doesn't mean you should put a PC tag on it

Alright, but let's get back on topic.

I think that since animals mostly have tails for balance, maybe it should increase crit chance? You're getting better accuracy, because you're balanced, so you can hit their weaker spots easier.

See? Someones experimenting the applications for tails.

I like this idea, I'm adding it.

I agree with the other people here that the tails should probably be vanity accessories, but for functionalitites..
Increasing the item vacuum range would be useful, but honestly ─ how many times did you see an animal that's neither a snake nor a monkey grab something with its tail? Also, it'd have to have some kind of animation where you reach out with the tail or something, which wouldbe hard to make and probably look stupid.
What'd be more reaslistic would be a jump height increase (though we already have the Shiny Red Balloon), or perhaps a jump speed increase.

Aw. No credit.
Also,

I don't think that'd work without adding another two/three slots (equip, vanity and dye or just vanity and dye).

EDIT: yay thanks
Why would we need new slots? Tails could work like any other accessory, and vanity tails like any other vanity accessory. We don't need any new slots.

I agree with the other people here that the tails should probably be vanity accessories.
Of course, increasing the item vacuum range would be useful, but honestly ─ how many times did you see an animal that's neither a snake nor a monkey grab something with its tail?
What'd be more reaslistic would be a jump height increase (though we already have the Shiny Red Balloon), or perhaps a jump speed increase.

Why would we need new slots? Tails could work like any other accessory, and vanity tails like any other vanity accessory. We don't need any new slots.

...Um, it's a video game? It pulls some from realism, and some from non-realism? A lot movies, cartoons and video games have characters with tails who could use it as an extra appendage.

I would hate for the tails to be subject to being just a vanity item, rather than having uses like the wings.

...Um, it's a video game? It pulls some from realism, and some from non-realism? A lot movies, cartoons and video games have characters with tails who could use it as an extra appendage.

I would hate for the tails to be subject to being just a vanity item, rather than having uses like the wings.
Yeah, but (as I just added to my previous post) it would look a bit strange unless we add an animation of the tail pulling items in, which would probably be hard to implment and probably wouldn't look to good either.
I'd really go for the jump speed increase if we need a functionality ─ I don't there are any other items that increase jump speed, so it'd be nice to have this. Also, some kind of cat tail could probably be combined with the Tiger Climbing Gear or the Master Ninja Gear.

Also the Frog Leg.

Honestly, if you want this to have an actual chance as a non-vanity item, we need a good reason to use it. Like I said before, the only part of the OP that I really agree might be good is the extended item range thing, and even so I wouldn't be willing to give up an accessory slot for that. I don't think just adding stat boosts like +crit chance is going to help either, because there are a lot of other accessories that buff stats.

Yeah, but (as I just added to my previous post) it would look a bit strange unless we add an animation of the tail pulling items in, which would probably be hard to implment and probably wouldn't look to good either.
I'd really go for the jump speed increase if we need a functionality ─ I don't there are any other items that increase jump speed, so it'd be nice to have this. Also, some kind of cat tail could probably be combined with the Tiger Climbing Gear or the Master Ninja Gear.

Oh, yes. Good point ^^; But the point is the attempt it anyway, tweak and make additions or removals, till it looks just right. I like that in people who just make it anyway, work on it for a bit longer while people play with it, and the people suddenly find that it is useful. Rather then just completely refute it without experimenting with it to make it something unique.

...Hm... Increased jump speed and can latch to walls? I like that idea.

Also the Frog Leg.

Honestly, if you want this to have an actual chance as a non-vanity item, we need a good reason to use it. Like I said before, the only part of the OP that I really agree might be good is the extended item range thing, and even so I wouldn't be willing to give up an accessory slot for that. I don't think just adding stat boosts like +crit chance is going to help either, because there are a lot of other accessories that buff stats.

You have a legitimate point, but you honestly can't leave it all to me to figure out something you may like since I don't know you and I can't read you mind. Take a look through the posts! some are suggesting and trying to make this work at least. I like what their doing!

Why not pitch in some ideas that could make this work? It helps towards it =)

I'd imagine there would be multiple types of tails, so perhaps each one comes with different bonuses along with the crit chance. Most of the functionalities could probably be achieved just by having multiple types of tails from different kinds of animals.

Also the Frog Leg.

Tell that to the Avenger, Destroyer, Mage, Warrior and Archer emblem.

EDIT: @NiraExecuto, I was going to talk about that but then I realised that you're right, I'm stupid. You could just put them in the vanity slots for accessories :indifferent:

Last edited:
I'd imagine there would be multiple types of tails, so perhaps each one comes with different bonuses along with the crit chance. Most of the functionalities could probably be achieved just by having multiple types of tails from different kinds of animals.
Sounds like a plan. But we'll need a few different possible functionalities for that.

Also, I just realized that tails could make for some really wierd stuff ─ imagine a tail sticking out between heavy Hallowed Armor, or from below a Robe, or imagine a tail accessory with the Mermaid Tail. I guess some equipment items would have to suppress tails to not make it look awful.

Sounds like a plan. But we'll need a few different possible functionalities for that.

Also, I just realized that tails could make for some really wierd stuff ─ imagine a tail sticking out between heavy Hallowed Armor, or from below a Robe, or imagine a tail accessory with the Mermaid Tail. I guess some equipment items would have to suppress tails to not make it look awful.

...Perhaps the Vanity side of tails match the armor your wearing in terms of texture and color palette?

Sort of OP. Try to add actual stats and how to obtain the different tails

...That's broad, cryptic and does not help in the slightest. Why not pitch in some ideas to help make it functional? Otherwise... I'm going to have to look into finding any information if I might have posts like these can be deleted.

Edit: But obtaining them, hm... I'm not sure. I'll delve into that.

I always assumed there would just be a hole in the armour where it protrudes.

Not a finished suggestion technically, still working on it.

Well, we could stick with the Vanity and Functional tails can either mimic the texture and color palette of the armor your wearing... or live with it standing out a bit.

Back
Top Bottom