Aesthetical Annoyances

Yvori

Terrarian
Hello Terrarians! I recently got back into playing the game, and I've noticed a few visual inconsistencies and weirdness that drives me absolutely mad... Or just things that I would like to change in a sprite pack or something if I had more artistic skill than a Pet Rock... Which I don't.

This got me thinking - are there any sprites (blocks, npcs, enemies, items, icons, UI - anything with a visual) in Terraria that you would like to see changed, fixed, etc., and are there any parts of the aesthetics that really irk you?

Here are some personally glaring things I came across over my playthroughs:

Presumably Bugs:
-Magic Hat with Twilight Dye: when coming to a stop, the stationary void texture seems to "skip" a little. This is the only item I've seen this on, I think. (Dunno if it's been fixed yet, though - posted about it somewhere ages ago) Upon getting Twilight Dye, I've found this appears to be fixed. However, the texture still skips if you turn around with any vanity item. This is strange, since it's supposed to stay still while you move, and turning is a form of moving.
EDIT: Actually, I was wrong. It wasn't the Magic Hat, it was the Wizard Hat, and the problem is very much still there and annoying as heck.
-Tax Collector's Hat: Vanishes hair much like the Umbrella Hat used to in earlier versions. Makes any character wearing it look completely bald, to my knowledge.
-Familiar Clothes are not dyable. Yes, you can change the color manually, but you also can't apply fancy dyes like shifting sands and the like, as far as I can tell. Oh, except the hair... For some reason you can dye that with anything even though we already have specialized hair dyes...?

Things I'd like changed:
-We've had monster, character, npc, and item sprite updates, I say now it's time to move old blocks into the new age. Some blocks are fine here, others... not so much. Of course, this would be a lot of work.
-The Shark Statue and its inventory icon look NOTHING like the other statues. This is bizzare.
-Hive looks like a block in the inventory, but isn't. You instead need a hive wand to place it. I don't know what else it could look like, though...
-The Mysterious Cape, Gi, and multiple other dark clothes are barely affected by most dyes, especially darker ones, at all.
-When just falling with wings equipped and hidden, the wings will appear. Might be unpopular opinion here, but I'd like to see it where the wings only show up if you're actively using them to fly or to slow your fall. No button pressing, wings stay hidden. It'd be nice for cloak wearers.

Superbly Nitpicky Things:
-Statue bases seem to have a random number of layers. I don't see any rhyme or reason as to why some have up to 3 base segments while others have 2 or 1. Probably me just being a bit ocpd but whatever.
-There is no Crimson variant of Night's Edge or Deathweed - they're still purple regardless.
-Female Characters' legs without any armor on look very out of proportion to the rest of their body because for some inexplicable reason they're a pixel thinner than the males' despite their upper body proportions being exactly the same. They look almost like they'd fall over due to being too top-heavy.
-Female Characters don't get a cool trenchcoat starter style like the males. This one is unforgivable. The trenchcoat is amazing.

So, yeah, there's my 3 AM tired ramble out of the way. I feel like I should mention that despite the numerous weird things I see here and there, I absolutely love Terraria's artstyle, especially the newer one with added detail and having (mostly) removed the solid black outlines on everything. Pixel art in general is wonderful, and I'm glad to see many games, especially indies, re-adopting it.

Last edited:
-When just falling with wings equipped and hidden, the wings will appear. Might be unpopular opinion here, but I'd like to see it where the wings only show up if you're actively using them to fly or to slow your fall. No button pressing, wings stay hidden. It'd be nice for cloak wearers.
I would love it if they changed this. My wings always get in the way of my cape.

I have huge problems with atmosphere and monsters. For example, I really hate whan I get to see things like Wraith, Zombie, Demon eye and Possesed armor in Hallow during night. An solution would be to make hallowed (+ crimsoned and corrupted) versions of these monsters, like how it's done with mummies and pigrons. And these are just few monsters, many more of them should have redesign.
Same for some blocks and some walls. For example, stones that got gems in them - they can't be converted by Hallow, Crimson and Corruption, which make them look awful. Honestly, these blocks should be removed from game. I also hate to see mud in Hallow. Something as dirty as mud should not have place in pure dreamland.
Pots are also the problem - they should be converted into hallowed\crimsoned and corupted pots.
Spider walls is something I hate - they look really bad in underground Hallow and should have reskinned versions (along with spiders themselves)

You mentioned blocks. The standard wood texture, as well as Ebonwood, (placed tiles, not world generated tree tiles) could do with a texture update. (And wall variants, I guess.) While you can make a good looking house or build with wood blocks, they could look a lot better.

Adding on to your thing on female legs, they don't have the small arms that female NPCs have.
Some blocks (mostly the old ones) have black outlines, while every other block has softer outlines. (Nim's Soft Pack fixes this)
The Nurse Pants force your legs to be tan white, and if those "tights" are taken away, they don't fit on female characters. Given that it is a skirt and pair of high heels, that should be corrected.
Pretty much everything in Kai's Tweaxtures should be put in to fix consistency and make Halloween costumes more believable.
Most helmets, such as the Gold Helmet, should show the alt hair so you can see a bit of your hair.
Familiar clothes should be renamed and retextured based on the style (ie Male Style 4 Shirt: Familiar Coat)
Vanity accessories for the head should be visible with a hat on.
When wearing a robe or dress, your leg armor is hidden.

Also, the things concerning player appearance are going to be part of a big suggestion regarding vanity.

As a cap user, I completely agree with the cape rant

I never liked how the biome changed to mushroom even though its just a 100 block runway of mushroom blocks. It changes the entire background, making it look like the entire sky was blocked by mushrooms. But am I the only one who does that for Truffle? Anyone?

Also, sometimes on mobile there is a tiny tan line between the torso and legs. I CANT STAND IT ANY LONGER

Back
Top Bottom