Items An item that enables infinite flight for limited flight mounts

I understand why you want this, since it would be nice to be able to use whichever mount you like most without sacrificing any stats, but all of the limited flying mounts have different physics. Honeyed Goggles give a different kind of flight than Dark Mage's Tome (although whether or not DMT is a "flying mount" is arguable), which is different from the Gelatinous Pillon, which is different from the Scaly Truffle and Reindeer Bells. I fear that if their physics weren't changed to match the flight physics of infinite flight mounts, then the Cosmic Car Keys (or Witch's Broom if you're not on Classic) would still be preferred by the majority of players just out of familiarity, and if their physics are changed, then it wouldn't feel like the same mount anymore. I suppose this is all conjecture, and we wouldn't really know until the feature was in the game and we could see how it worked, but still.

I understand why you want this, since it would be nice to be able to use whichever mount you like most without sacrificing any stats, but all of the limited flying mounts have different physics. Honeyed Goggles give a different kind of flight than Dark Mage's Tome (although whether or not DMT is a "flying mount" is arguable), which is different from the Gelatinous Pillon, which is different from the Scaly Truffle and Reindeer Bells. I fear that if their physics weren't changed to match the flight physics of infinite flight mounts, then the Cosmic Car Keys (or Witch's Broom if you're not on Classic) would still be preferred by the majority of players just out of familiarity, and if their physics are changed, then it wouldn't feel like the same mount anymore. I suppose this is all conjecture, and we wouldn't really know until the feature was in the game and we could see how it worked, but still.
Damn, I didn't think of that. That's a pretty good point, though I don't think of it feeling the same will really affect anything, as limited flying mounts aren't really used all that much either way, whenever you get one you are either about to enter hardmode, or in hardmode with wings

I also thought of a way to attain it, like shimmering the Mech Kit post-moonlord so it doesn't have much impact on gameplay.

I may have missed something, but don't see anything in the original post that mentions speed or physics, just duration. Their flight duration in the code is just a number, which would be trivial to change with an accessory and wouldn't cause any further issues aside from potential balance.

I may have missed something, but don't see anything in the original post that mentions speed or physics, just duration. Their flight duration in the code is just a number, which would be trivial to change with an accessory and wouldn't cause any further issues aside from potential balance.
You're right that it wouldn't cause issues on the game side, but I was talking about the player side. Having infinite flight with the Gelatinous Pillon would necessarily feel different than having it with the Cosmic Car Key, because the Pillon has fastfall and can't hover. I don't even think this suggestion is bad, just raising a potential issue that might come from it, that being that most of the limited flight mounts would still not have as good flight as the infinite flight ones because of the differences in physics. My fear is that it's a lose-lose situation, where keeping the physics results in the mounts still going unused due to being outclass by other mounts that just feel better, but changing the physics to have them be on-par with the others would result in a loss of identity.

You're right that it wouldn't cause issues on the game side, but I was talking about the player side. Having infinite flight with the Gelatinous Pillon would necessarily feel different than having it with the Cosmic Car Key, because the Pillon has fastfall and can't hover. I don't even think this suggestion is bad, just raising a potential issue that might come from it, that being that most of the limited flight mounts would still not have as good flight as the infinite flight ones because of the differences in physics. My fear is that it's a lose-lose situation, where keeping the physics results in the mounts still going unused due to being outclass by other mounts that just feel better, but changing the physics to have them be on-par with the others would result in a loss of identity.
Why would their physics need to be identical? I'm not sure I'm following. All the proposed item would do is make their current method of flight infinite. As for being worse than mounts like the UFO or the Witch's Broom, I honestly think that's already its own problem, and don't really see what an item that could grant them infinite flight has to do with it. If, at the very least it narrows the gap between the two styles of mounts, that sounds like it could only a positive.

Why would their physics need to be identical? I'm not sure I'm following. All the proposed item would do is make their current method of flight infinite. As for being worse than mounts like the UFO or the Witch's Broom, I honestly think that's already its own problem, and don't really see what an item that could grant them infinite flight has to do with it. If, at the very least it narrows the gap between the two styles of mounts, that sounds like it could only a positive.
I'm clearly not communicating my point well, and for that I apologize. I'm not saying that they NEED to have identical physics. I'm saying that the decision to either change their physics or leave them the same both come with potential downsides. One of those potential downsides is being inferior to another mount, which is the problem we have now, and the other downside is losing the movement that gives the mount its identity, therefore removing a portion of the reason to use the mount. If infinite flight for all flying mounts were implemented, a choice of whether or not to change the physics would have to be made, and while the obvious (and, in my mind, preferable) choice would be to not change the physics, this would mean that some flying mounts are inarguably inferior to others due to having worse physics, and while you obviously don't have to care if you're doing things optimally, it does matter to some, especially if said infinite flight is unlocked for all mounts at the same time. Why use an infinitely flying Pigron mount, for example, when the Witch's Broom can be gotten at the same time and has better physics and speed, as well as the ability to stay still in the air? The other option - the standardization of physics - is not a good option either, because every mount would feel the same, meaning that for mounts like the Gelatinous Pillon and Reindeer Bells, which have different movement than other flying mounts, you would lose that individuality, which is less of a mechanical problem and more of a game feel problem. If the winged slime mount isn't falling fast and bouncing, then are you really using the winged slime mount?

Again, I'm not saying that this is a bad suggestion, nor am I saying that if it were implemented, mount physics should be made identical while flying. All I'm doing is pointing out the potential issues that may arise from this suggestion being implemented, in the two ways I see it being done. For the record, if I were a game dev and I were to implement this suggestion, I would do as you say and just set the flight duration to infinite for all flying mounts. Sure, some of them would still be worse than others, but to me, that's much less of a problem.

I'm clearly not communicating my point well, and for that I apologize. I'm not saying that they NEED to have identical physics. I'm saying that the decision to either change their physics or leave them the same both come with potential downsides. One of those potential downsides is being inferior to another mount, which is the problem we have now, and the other downside is losing the movement that gives the mount its identity, therefore removing a portion of the reason to use the mount. If infinite flight for all flying mounts were implemented, a choice of whether or not to change the physics would have to be made, and while the obvious (and, in my mind, preferable) choice would be to not change the physics, this would mean that some flying mounts are inarguably inferior to others due to having worse physics, and while you obviously don't have to care if you're doing things optimally, it does matter to some, especially if said infinite flight is unlocked for all mounts at the same time. Why use an infinitely flying Pigron mount, for example, when the Witch's Broom can be gotten at the same time and has better physics and speed, as well as the ability to stay still in the air? The other option - the standardization of physics - is not a good option either, because every mount would feel the same, meaning that for mounts like the Gelatinous Pillon and Reindeer Bells, which have different movement than other flying mounts, you would lose that individuality, which is less of a mechanical problem and more of a game feel problem. If the winged slime mount isn't falling fast and bouncing, then are you really using the winged slime mount?

Again, I'm not saying that this is a bad suggestion, nor am I saying that if it were implemented, mount physics should be made identical while flying. All I'm doing is pointing out the potential issues that may arise from this suggestion being implemented, in the two ways I see it being done. For the record, if I were a game dev and I were to implement this suggestion, I would do as you say and just set the flight duration to infinite for all flying mounts. Sure, some of them would still be worse than others, but to me, that's much less of a problem.
I agree with all of that, I just don't know how that issue would be arising. It seems like it's already here in full force, regardless of how much flight time the limited-airtime mounts have. Giving them infinite flight can't possibly make the problem  worse, all it can really do is slightly lessen the gap, which sounds like a positive here.

As for making them all have the same physics, I have no idea why that was even on the table, but yes, it would remove the identity of some mounts. I don't even think it's all that necessary anyway, personally.

Back
Top Bottom