Official Announcement regarding changes to conversations (private messages)

Anyone with a 'Re-Logic' banner under their name is who we consider a 'developer', even if they don't work on the software part of it. All of them work hard to make Terraria successful, for the past, present and future.

Redigit and Cenx do watch what is happening with the forum. They read reactions to update announcements, they keep up with suggestions. Any time either of them show up as online, they get besieged with posts on their profiles, and they respond to some of them. You might not always see them, but they are watching regularly. The forum staff (mods and admins) also frequently point out things of interest and importance to them.

There are also official Discord, subreddit, Facebook/Instagram and yes, even X/Twitter communities that are still quite active and that they try to keep up with, all on top of actually working on the game. I think it's mostly safemanda's job to keep up with that and keep it coordinated.

Loki was a moderator on the old forum, and became part of Re-Logic later on. He is more likely to be seen because he's the one who compiles the content for the State of the Game posts and handles the merchandise announcements. Leinfors was also a moderator before joining the team to oversee QA. They've been more visible because they are used to being visible and accessible.

The developers are most definitely engaged and invested in the Terraria community here.

Anyone with a 'Re-Logic' banner under their name is who we consider a 'developer', even if they don't work on the software part of it. All of them work hard to make Terraria successful, for the past, present and future.
basically what i was trying to say. mods and admins might not be considered devs but the creators and other people on the terraria/re-logic team are

Do I write code or make art (Lizard King painting aside lol)?

Nope.

Beyond that, I can assure you that I am involved in almost everything else, regardless of whatever title anyone may have. We are a small company and thus, many hats must be worn.

So many things happen behind the scenes that make more public things possible. Most folks see the SOTG or whatever other posts and assume that’s it. That’s more like 5%.

If we want to get into perhaps the most “development focused” aspects of my role, I run all of our third party relationships- including being the production liaison/producer from our side in regards to what goes on with mobile/console/crossplay and so on.

I worked directly with Valve and the TML team to make that a reality on Steam (long story short, it’s a very custom/bespoke thing).

Testing, balance conversations, etc - done all of that more times and for more hours than I can count. Everyone at Re-Logic gets a voice on such things.

Hell, I’ve even had a strong role in setting the story and art direction for the graphic novel.

So I guess it’s what you choose to define as “developer”. That said, I am always very clear that I do NOT code or art.

Regardless, I keep tabs everywhere - here, discord, socials, etc - because being aware of what is going on is only smart. I just wish I had more time to interact as I did in the past… but the busier we become, the less that exists, sadly.

As for heritage, I’ve been active in this community as a member, moderator, community manager, and then my current role since June 2011. TCF was built to a large extent by myself, Skiphs, and the awesome former TO staff that made the journey with us.

tldr; whatever you want to make of what I do, the team is quite aware of what is going on :)

Just wanted to give some context given the line of questioning.

Nope.

Beyond that, I can assure you that I am involved in almost everything else, regardless of whatever title anyone may have. We are a small company and thus, many hats must be worn.

So many things happen behind the scenes that make more public things possible. Most folks see the SOTG or whatever other posts and assume that’s it. That’s more like 5%.

If we want to get into perhaps the most “development focused” aspects of my role, I run all of our third party relationships- including being the production liaison/producer from our side in regards to what goes on with mobile/console/crossplay and so on.

I worked directly with Valve and the TML team to make that a reality on Steam (long story short, it’s a very custom/bespoke thing).

Testing, balance conversations, etc - done all of that more times and for more hours than I can count. Everyone at Re-Logic gets a voice on such things.

Hell, I’ve even had a strong role in setting the story and art direction for the graphic novel.

So I guess it’s what you choose to define as “developer”. That said, I am always very clear that I do NOT code or art.

Regardless, I keep tabs everywhere - here, discord, socials, etc - because being aware of what is going on is only smart. I just wish I had more time to interact as I did in the past… but the busier we become, the less that exists, sadly.

As for heritage, I’ve been active in this community as a member, moderator, community manager, and then my current role since June 2011. TCF was built to a large extent by myself, Skiphs, and the awesome former TO staff that made the journey with us.

tldr; whatever you want to make of what I do, the team is quite aware of what is going on :)

Just wanted to give some context given the line of questioning.
from the way you explained it, it makes your job seem both incredibly difficult and incredibly fun at the same time
but thank you for the context good sir/ma'am/croissant/whatever you identify as, have a very nice day

Nope.

[...]
I learnt in my first semester of Software Engineering study that not only programmers are contributing to developing. There are many other roles that are development even if that role does not code, e. g. marketing, time planning, management, communication, ... What Loki said above confirms that development is much more than writing the code.

Edit: Moved from Official - Let's hear your forum improvements! to here due to moderator's request:
I think that people who were longer on the TCF shall get bigger PM limits due to the time passed. This still controls the PM rate but lets archiving.

Last edited:
man this update hit my game dev group, HHH, REAL FLIPPIN HARD.
first we had to move to discord, but then my school blocked it, and now guess what
Screenshot 2024-04-22 1.46.54 PM.png

Has this update done anything good for the forums so far?
I know that it may still sting, and I’m sorry if the abrupt nature of the change added to that. I truly do apologize if the rollout wasn’t executed as well as could be - personally I had concerns if we gave a notice of the change then there would be tons of new convos made with extra recipients while the limit was still 16. If I could go back in time and give a week or two notice first, I would, and I apologize for that. The change would still absolutely be needed though. I regret if anyone felt snubbed or slighted by the sudden announcement, and it’s something that I’ll learn from for the future.

But I want to try and answer this as genuinely as possible. Yes, the change has done good, as it’s made it so these forums aren’t being used as an unmoderated private chat program anymore. We may have to agree to disagree on whether the change was needed, and I don’t want to reactivate or dredge up any futile discussions in which we start going in circles again, so I’ll leave it at that, but although I do still firmly stand by everything I said in my first post on why these changes were needed, I wanted to take the opportunity to apologize for the execution, insofar as the lack of a notification period.

I still don't feel right about the comparison that was used for this.
A speed limit? No, that would be something like making it so you can only post a certain amount per day or something like that, this is more like putting a roadblock after a specific point in the road, and the speed limit comparison doesn't really work even for what I described, because a speed limit doesn't enforce itself.

As for the change itself, no point trying to argue with you about it, only thing you'll even consider is if Relogic directly tells you to change something about it.

I still feel like moderating them is better
And how does that fix people using them like a private chat, which was the main reason this change was implemented in the first place.
I still don't feel right about the comparison that was used for this.
I feel like your missing the point of the comparison.
If a road did not have speed limit signs and then some were added because some cars were going above the limit, is it a punishment?

That is the clearest example I can think of. Limitations are indeed often part of punishment but they are not one in the same, context is the defining aspect.
It would be a punishment if we gave warnings, probations or individual limits to those we believed to be abusing the system.

Is this 'Criminal Underworld' an exponentially expanding ring?

A character limit feels like throwing a damp cloth on a fire if so, it can be circumvented by just starting another conversation. A character limit doesn't moderate what is said in these threads either.

Otherwise, a conversation in breach of what the forums are intended for could be policed within reach of staff, a blanket ban on a certain number of words disproportionately affects those following the rules, there aren't so many of these rule breakers compared to those who follow them

Back
Top Bottom