PC Any way to disable On-Screen Keyboard?

Xylia

Terrarian
Hello!

While I realize why we have an On-Screen Keyboard, I'm wondering if there's any way to disable it? I do not play Terraria with a gamepad, but yet I still get the OSKB which obscures the entire playing area while I enter names for chests when it really isn't necessary.

Is there a way to turn it off if I have no plans on using a controller?

Sounds like a bug to me. @Leinfors?

I will note I do have a gamepad (I don't think it is X-input, though... not sure how to test that) attached to my computer, but yet I do not wish to use it for playing Terraria.

Perhaps it is detecting there's a gamepad available and it just assumes I wanna use it?

There are/have been some technical issues with the virtual keyboard popping up at unwanted times. It should NOT be popping up if your Gamepad is not in active use. However, if you have a Gamepad hooked up, its possible your system is receiving some sort of message telling it to remain active from the controller. Do any of the other Gamepad input UI features pop up, like the buttons at the bottom of the screen telling you what each button does?

There are/have been some technical issues with the virtual keyboard popping up at unwanted times. It should NOT be popping up if your Gamepad is not in active use. However, if you have a Gamepad hooked up, its possible your system is receiving some sort of message telling it to remain active from the controller. Do any of the other Gamepad input UI features pop up, like the buttons at the bottom of the screen telling you what each button does?

My gamepad is very, very basic. It's actually a Playstation2->USB adapter (it shows up as a "MP-8888 USB Gamepad") with a PS2 Dualshock connected to it. And AFAIK, there's no programs actively reading it, and when I bring up the gamepad calibration screen, I don't see anything lighting up, or the crosshair moving or anything.

In fact, my gamepad does NOT show up on games that only know how to read Xbox360 controllers, so I assumed it was a D-input gamepad. It's an older one, I had these adapters for at least 5 years now, perhaps longer.

So my suggestion is to add an option within Options that says "Enable Gamepad" which could be turned to OFF to make the game stop reading the gamepad entirely, but that's just my suggestion.

@Xylia, I know this is almost ancient history at this point, but we found a bug which was causing Virtual Keyboard to crop up when you had no Gamepad attached (it was really obscure, but would have been consistent for those who experienced it).

Let me know if the issue is fixed for you; I had pursuing an option for "Enable Gamepad", as you said, but if this solves the problem, then I don't think we need to follow up on that option.

Okay now THAT is customer service, lol.

I opened Terraria and loaded up a save where I could get to a container, and...

It works! Or shall I say the Virtual Keyboard no longer pops up on my screen when attempting to rename it (and yes, it was consistent for me, like 100% of the time). Awesome!

Glad to hear it!

The bug was only replicable for us when we fiddled with the new Zoom/UI Scale features. It ONLY happened at very specific screen resolution settings, which is why it only happened to a handful of people (but consistently).

Once we had it easily replicated, it was easy to fix. :)

Back
Top Bottom