Game Mechanics Auto Select Tools based on their capabilities.

SzGamer227

Spazmatism
What exactly do I mean by this? Allow me to explain: You know that "Auto Select" button that you may have seen or used before? Essentially what it does is automatically select items from your inventory based on what your cursor is hovering over. For example, if you're hovering it over a block, it will select the first pickaxe it finds in your inventory, or pull out a Glow Stick or Flare Gun when holding your cursor in water or away from the player. All in all, it is an incredibly convenient feature that Terraria has, but it I've thought of a way to make it even better.

Instead of blindly selecting the first available tool in your inventory, it should select appropriate tools based on your item's capabilities. The first tool in your inventory always takes priority, but if it doesn't have enough range to reach where your cursor is hovering, or enough pickaxe power to mine whatever it is, it would do a quick check of the rest of your inventory to see if there is another tool that does fulfill those requirements. Having to switch between your fastest pickaxe and the one you carry around in case you need to mine harder materials is a minor inconvenience when you're exploring in pre-Hardmode, and with the difference in range seen between the Shroomite Digging Claw, the Picksaw, and the Spectre Pickaxe, this would be very useful for general mining, since using Auto Select would pick the tool that matches the distance that you are trying to mine from. It would provide the same kind of minor convenience that the new Quick Heal potion offers, and make the smart decision instead of the first one it thinks of.

TLDR version:
If you have multiple tools with different capabilities, using the Auto Select button will select a tool that can get the job done instead of just selecting the first one it finds. If you're default pick doesn't have enough power, it will look for a stronger one before attempting to break that block. It will do the same for their range.

If this needs more explaining, feel free to leave a comment and I'll try to explain it better. Feedback is appreciated.

Well, this thread is awfully old, but I recently had a very similar idea. The problem of deciding between the range and mining speed of Shroomite Digging Claw / Picksaw / Spectre Pickaxe back in 1.2 is still present in 1.3, but with Shroomite Digging Claw / Luminite Pickaxe / Laser Drill.

All three tools have their reasons to be used, yet Auto Select will only choose the first one in your inventory, in every single case. This feature should be made smarter to choose a pickaxe that has both sufficient range and pickaxe power.

I think it would also be nice if this feature chose faster tools, even if they both meet the requirements to mine a block. One example would be using a Nightmare Pickaxe to mine dirt, but a Molten pickaxe to mine stone. They have the same range, and both tools have enough pickaxe power to mine those blocks, but the game should be able to tell that a Nightmare Pickaxe would be faster on dirt due to its superior speed.

Back
Top Bottom