Weapons & Equip Axe of Regrowth is too OP and should be nerfed, here is why

TurboClide

Terrarian
See, there are several reasons:
  • You can get this thing literally pre-Boss.
  • This Axe has pretty good speed and the highest Axe Power possible - 150%.
  • This thing also works for Herbs collection, Growing Grass on Dirt and automatically places Acorns when cutting a Tree without consuming Acorns.
  • This Axe crafts with couple of simple jungle ingredients, Staff of Regrowth and Copper Axe which has 35% of Axe Power.
What in my opinion would fix this issue:
  • Cut Axe Power in half: from 150% to 75%. It makes more sense, because we are using worst Axe in the game for crafting literally the best Axe in the game.
  • Now consumes Acorns from the inventory. While cutting Gemcorn Trees automatically places the most prioritized Gemcorn in the Inventory.
Why this is needed:
  • C'mon, this is pre-Boss thing. In one of my Playthrough I got it in first 2 hours, and it was Master Mode.
  • This thing crushes all of Terraria's Axe progression into dust. You make not like my idea, but let's be honest. This thing is too OP.

The upcoming Axearang gives the Axe of Regrowth some actual competition now so I don't think it really matters.
If I had to nerf it, I'd add some kind of post-boss material to the recipe so it can't be obtained very early.
To be fair, getting the Staff of Regrowth is completely RNG anyway. I've had a few playthroughs where I've never found one.

• This thing also works for Herbs collection, Growing Grass on Dirt and automatically places Acorns when cutting a Tree without consuming Acorns.
  • This Axe crafts with couple of simple jungle ingredients, Staff of Regrowth and Copper Axe which has 35% of Axe Power.
  • Cut Axe Power in half: from 150% to 75%. It makes more sense, because we are using worst Axe in the game for crafting literally the best Axe in the game.
  • Now consumes Acorns from the inventory. While cutting Gemcorn Trees automatically places the most prioritized Gemcorn in the Inventory.
Why this is needed:
  • C'mon, this is pre-Boss thing. In one of my Playthrough I got it in first 2 hours, and it was Master Mode.
  • This thing crushes all of Terraria's Axe progression into dust. You make not like my idea, but let's be honest. This thing is too OP.
Axe progression isn't really a thing to begin with, as there are no trees that require anything over a copper axe, nor any benefits from getting wood faster. At most, you just save time, and I definitely wouldn't say shaving a few seconds cutting/planting trees is "OP", so I don't personally see the issue with "axe progression" ending pre-boss.
There was never a reason to care about upgrading your axes after a certain point, besides having the properties of a hammer combined with an axe.

Only potential nerf I could see is the acorn thing, but it's still a matter of saving some time when you're... getting basic materials and gems.

Why this is needed:
Do you have any idea how hard the vines are to get?

It's not like there's super trees. we have gem trees but that's about it. why does it matter? I like the idea of making an awesome axe that'll last me the whole game.
if they added hardwood or trees that would require a greater axe power then I would understand nerfing it, but as it is I don't think it's necessary.

I agree that preserving axe progression isn’t that important, but the fact the Axe of Regrowth made Lucy the Axe almost irrelevant is a problem. Before 1.4.4 getting Lucy was a good reason to fight Deerclops, but now the only reason to do the fight is to get Chester (and maybe the Houndius Shoootius or Weather Pain).

To fix this I would nerf the Axe of Regrowth to have the same stats as the Meteor Hamaxe. This would create a choice between cutting down trees fast with Lucy or the convenience of not replanting acorns with the Axe of Regrowth. Then in Hardmode I would add a Chlorophyte upgrade to the Axe of Regrowth and have the Steampunker sell the new Axearang. Same choice between speed and convenience, just later in the game.

Last edited:
As others have said, it doesn’t need to be changed now that axerangs are coming as competitors. If it did need a nerf though, I’d suggest adding the Pwnhammer to its recipe and changing to the Hammaxe of Regrowth. This would make to total number of tools you carry around late game be only two (hammaxe of regrowth and pickaxe) instead of the possible four (axe, hammer, pickaxe, staff of regrowth).

Terraria's axe progression deserves to end pre-boss. There is absolutely no value to slowing down the chopping of wood beyond that point. In what way is the Axe of Regrowth "overpowered?" What does this do beyond save time?
Are you serious?

This thing has very high speed and Power, and also replants acorns for free. It outclasses every single Axe in the game. It is Overpowered.
But I do like idea to make its crafting recipe harder without changing its quality.

Hard? Bro, I've been playing Terraria from 2012, I can kill Man Eaters blindfolded with Copper Shortsword on Master Mode. It's not that hard, don't exaggerate. Even shurikens can deal with those.
I'm not saying that killing Man Eaters is hard, I'm saying that it's tedious and annoying to farm them for vines.

Are you serious?

This thing has very high speed and Power, and also replants acorns for free. It outclasses every single Axe in the game. It is Overpowered.
But I do like idea to make its crafting recipe harder without changing its quality.
It’s speed is less than most drills, but it’s ranger is more than enough to compensate I guess.

the Axe of regrowth is where the two communities of Team Trees and Team Axe meet, there's no need to further the divide. Not having your acorns spent when chopping allows you to plant more trees elsewhere, it is not "overpowered" it's a single-player game most of the time, and your world at that. when it's multiplayer at least you don't have to worry about not replanting for your friends.

but at the end of the day, we all know why you want it nerfed. it's because the reaver shark got nerfed.

As eeveryone alredy stated this idea is bad as there is no meaning to axe progression beyond shaving off some time on cutting and replanting trees. Axe of regrowth serves mainly reducing number of tools by changing staff of regrowth and axe into one.
I’d suggest adding the Pwnhammer to its recipe and changing to the Hammaxe of Regrowth. This would make to total number of tools you carry around late game be only two (hammaxe of regrowth and pickaxe) instead of the possible four (axe, hammer, pickaxe, staff of regrowth).
II really like your idea, i'm ussually not carring a hammer and when i need one i'm forced to craft a wood one, this would solve this mild annoyence in elegant way

Back
Top Bottom