Game Mechanics balance the bosses so that it is easier for melee

Do you think i make a valid point

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AME

Terrarian
So when i did an expert mode playthrough as a melee character with a bunch of steam friends i noticed that a lot of the bosses tend to be hard in the earlier stages of the game mostly because they can fly,teleport and such forth it really makes it so that those characters die a lot quicker and that's it really so bye i guess

Using pure melee is going to get you killed very quickly regardless of the boss. You need melee weapons with range in order to defeat the bosses; either a ranged melee weapon (e.g. a yoyo, Enchanted Boomerang) or a melee weapon that fires projectiles (e.g. Night's Edge).

That melee isn't really melee has been discussed at great length elsewhere, so I will not rehash everything that was previously said. There are two things stopping pure melee being viable:
  • Defence: The difference between different class armour sets is so low it's barely worth taking into consideration. Melee armour sets would need their defence increased massively to give it an advantage and allow for proper tanking.
  • Knockback: All but one boss, plus many enemies, are immune to knockback. You can hit them as hard or as much as you like, and they're just going to keep on coming.
You'll need to address those points to make pure melee more viable.

Also please note that a suggestion post is expected to actually provide a suggestion or solution. ;)

Last edited:
every class have their prices, despite ranged having enormous damage, they have to always suplly themselves on ammo and have inventory space for them (if you use many different kinds), magic costs the mana replacement, which becames something really bad with time, you have to be supllied with mana potions and probably will need a mana flower as well, now the melee, if you use only swords and not any kind of weapon, your range will be really short, but think among, there are melee weapons that aren't sword styled, and you can get them early game, look at the boomerangs, the thorn chackram is really strong and can be obtained really early, or you can use flails, some spears (some are really long), you can obtain the beam sword and starfury early too, so melee users have some help already

every class have their prices, despite ranged having enormous damage, they have to always suplly themselves on ammo and have inventory space for them (if you use many different kinds), magic costs the mana replacement, which becames something really bad with time, you have to be supllied with mana potions and probably will need a mana flower as well, now the melee, if you use only swords and not any kind of weapon, your range will be really short, but think among, there are melee weapons that aren't sword styled, and you can get them early game, look at the boomerangs, the thorn chackram is really strong and can be obtained really early, or you can use flails, some spears (some are really long), you can obtain the beam sword and starfury early too, so melee users have some help already

That's a balance problem in and of itself. If a type of weapon is nearly unusable then that weapon is Underpowered. It means that type of weapon should be buffed. Swords individually can be buffed. Suggesting that melee is fine because using those Melee in name only is workable is exactly the wrong way to go about balance. Most people who want to go whole hog on melee don't want to stand far back, they want to be weaving in and out, and killing things in a reasonable time while using those swords. The Keybrand is in my opinion the best example of horribly underpowered weapons. It can be gotten in the dungeon after beating plantera. It does 72 base damage. The Vampire Knives are also in the Post-Plantera dungeon. The Dungeon Knives being one of the best weapons in the game doesn't actually make the KeyBrand any better. The Keybrand needs more damage, the Vampire Knives don't need additional buffs. The good thing about how disconnected weapons are from each other is that they can be balanced individually.

Well, I beat expert Skeletron with a yo-yo, expert WoF mostly using a Bee Keeper (which only releases projectiles when the blade itself hits), and I even beat the Destroyer with a Ball O' Hurt, once (no joke!). Unless we're literally only talking about non-projectile swords, most bosses can be beaten with melee.

I used to think things were biased against melee in early game until I realized how many non-sword melee weapons there were. And besides, the main issue with attacking a boss at point blank is contact damage, and yet most early bosses have no other means of attack. So... you can't realistically rebalance them in that way.

Using pure melee is going to get you killed very quickly regardless of the boss. You need melee weapons with range in order to defeat the bosses; either a ranged melee weapon (e.g. a yoyo, Enchanted Boomerang) or a melee weapon that fires projectiles (e.g. Night's Edge).

That melee isn't really melee has been discussed at great length elsewhere, so I will not rehash everything that was previously said. There are two things stopping pure melee being viable:
  • Defence: The difference between different class armour sets is so low it's barely worth taking into consideration. Melee armour sets would need their defence increased massively to give it an advantage and allow for proper tanking.
  • Knockback: All but one boss, plus many enemies, are immune to knockback. You can hit them as hard or as much as you like, and they're just going to keep on coming.
You'll need to address those points to make pure melee more viable.

Also please note that a suggestion post is expected to actually provide a suggestion or solution. ;)
The Night's Edge does not fire projectiles. You must be thinking of the True Night's Edge.

I'll be honest, with how Terraria works, melee is a tremendously under powered IMO compared to both range and magic when it comes to bosses, why? Cause all but ONE boss is immune to knockback.

This problem isn't really seen on normal enemies where knockback comes into play, Range and Magic usually come with relatively low knockback to compensate for being able to use them at a safe distance. Melee weapons however need you to be up close and personal to hit or precise accuracy less you want your weapon to take a vacation (Looking at you Flails and Boomerangs), exactly why knockback is important. A good way to see this problem is expert mode specifically pre-hardmode. Using melee only in expert pre-hardmode is absolutly horrendous, why? Cause I tried. Enemies like EoC and QB are suddenly ten times harder than it needs to be and WoF needs some serious out of the box thinking and BS to circumvent.

It's honestly why most of the amazing melee weapons you see fire some sort of projectile or are ranged in some way or manner. It's one of the things that Terraria does wrong which is quite sad given how melee was viable during the days before 1.1, after that with the game filled with huge damage dealers and massive attacks, melee just felt overshadowed by its ranged counterparts. Honestly no amount of buffing would change anything IMO as the massive defense melee armor give isn't all that helpful, what we do need however is a rework of the melee system in general.

In my opinion Expert Mode was made to have people not stick to certain damage classes but find the easiest way to tackle the next boss.
I found that some setups, be they melee, ranged, magic or summoning, were worthless against certain bosses, so I mixed it up during my playthrough, choosing the easiest way to kill every boss. Sometimes I'd run around as a ranger, sometimes I'd switch to a mage, sometimes I'd have my minions take the boss down.

Although I do admit that I think Melee is the most useless out of the four, because one doesn't really want to get hit at all in Expert Mode. For that reason I did not use it, ever. So I guess you do have a point. :p

The Night's Edge does not fire projectiles. You must be thinking of the True Night's Edge.
I stand corrected. Thanks! :)
I remember using Night's Edge on WoF, which is why I thought it had sword beams... I must have been riskier than I remember.

I don't think this is necessary. I've beaten every boss in prehardmode with hammers (Yes, the tools you break walls with). You can also use Yoyos, Spears, Flails, Boomerangs, they all work too, and they still count as melee. A few swords are quite powerful as well (Bee Keeper/Starfury, I'm looking at you...), the Amazon yoyo can be obtained really early on and it's crazily powerful... There are still many options for melee.

I don't think this is necessary. I've beaten every boss in prehardmode with hammers (Yes, the tools you break walls with). You can also use Yoyos, Spears, Flails, Boomerangs, they all work too, and they still count as melee. A few swords are quite powerful as well (Bee Keeper/Starfury, I'm looking at you...), the Amazon yoyo can be obtained really early on and it's crazily powerful... There are still many options for melee.

The problem with most of the examples you provided is that most are ranged/magic/summon weapons that do melee damage. I don't think this should be the goal of balancing the melee weapons. My sword shouldn't remain UP just because these "melee" weapons exist.

Path of Exile has the same problem, "Melee" spells are currently rather powerful, and on meta. However, most builds that use actual melee spells are at best workable up until a certain point, and almost all of them suffer immensely from either not having enough damage to kill in a time efficient manner or not having enough defenses and health to survive. Some people say Melee is fine, but in reality it's just the "Melee" spells/weapons that are fine, Melee, as in being able to hit things with swords and such, and go in and get up close isn't. It doesn't necessarily need to be through armor or bonuses to Melee damage, and that's probably exactly the wrong way to go about it, however, something does need to be done, as most of the useful later game "Melee" stuff is simply a set of no ammo/no mana ranged weapons. I feel that swords at all levels should be buffed, but I can't actually make that change.

I think that most people don't want Melee to be defined by these "Melee" items, especially not when throwing is so useless in the late game, I really think that quite a few of the no mana "Melee" weapons should be used to expand the throwing class, like Shadow Knives, or Vampire Knives, and both of these should be reworked to be more useful as consumable items rather than what they are now.

The problem with most of the examples you provided is that most are ranged/magic/summon weapons that do melee damage. I don't think this should be the goal of balancing the melee weapons. My sword shouldn't remain UP just because these "melee" weapons exist.

Path of Exile has the same problem, "Melee" spells are currently rather powerful, and on meta. However, most builds that use actual melee spells are at best workable up until a certain point, and almost all of them suffer immensely from either not having enough damage to kill in a time efficient manner or not having enough defenses and health to survive. Some people say Melee is fine, but in reality it's just the "Melee" spells/weapons that are fine, Melee, as in being able to hit things with swords and such, and go in and get up close isn't. It doesn't necessarily need to be through armor or bonuses to Melee damage, and that's probably exactly the wrong way to go about it, however, something does need to be done, as most of the useful later game "Melee" stuff is simply a set of no ammo/no mana ranged weapons. I feel that swords at all levels should be buffed, but I can't actually make that change.

I think that most people don't want Melee to be defined by these "Melee" items, especially not when throwing is so useless in the late game, I really think that quite a few of the no mana "Melee" weapons should be used to expand the throwing class, like Shadow Knives, or Vampire Knives, and both of these should be reworked to be more useful as consumable items rather than what they are now.
Exactly, at this point and time the viable "melee" weapons are all ranged in some sort of way. I'd be fine if Ranged Melee weapons were very powerful but making that the only viable option isn't right in my opinion. Most people use items like flails, boomerangs and the ever popular yo-yo's yet the true close ranged weapons such as spears, and swords get shafted. This isn't much a problem in hardmode, but it is a big one in pre-hardmode and even more evident in expert where being AWAY from the enemy is where you want to be. Between Melee,Range,Magic and Summoner melee just doesn't shine well between its counterparts, sure all three are perfectly balanced in my book in late game but getting there with melee is a painful journey the other 3 classes don't have to deal with as much.

That's actually very true and I do like the idea of a "True Melee", so to speak. But how would they make True Melee viable again?

The thing is, there are actually several things Re-logic could have done to make actual melee viable, such as dash attacks(think Shield of Cthulhu but with piercing), strong DoT, lingering clouds(like chlorophyte partisan), and even just flails. Flails and punching weapons such as the Sunfury and the Chain knife are great medium-length true melee weapons, but Re-logic completely ignored them and proceeded to add 6,925 machine gun swords. The most powerful flail in the game is the flower pow, which unfortunately shoots projectiles. The golem fist is the most powerful true melee punching weapon, and it works great against bosses. If Re-logic had actually added more spears, punching weapons, and flails, as well as a couple other things i mentioned, actual melee would be viable.

Off-topic: Mihn just got the 9,696th post in this section. Well done.;)

Also:
index.php

Back
Top Bottom