Game Mechanics Balancing Restored HP with Potion Sickness

Theo

Official Terrarian
All of us use potions, whether it is during an intense event or boss fight, or at times that you can't afford the Nurse's healing. Some of them heal little HP (I am looking at you, mushroom) while others heal more (greater healing potion). My point is, the potion sickness debuff is the same on all means of healing. Whether you restore 15 HP or 150 HP, it is always for one -utterly torturing- minute. So, I'd like it to be shorter for lesser potions and longer (or the same) for greater potions. That would give us the following:
  • 15 HP restored - 15-second potion sickness
  • 50 HP restored - 30-second potion sickness
  • 100 HP restored - 1-minute potion sickness
  • 150 HP restored - 1.5-minute potion sickness
A banner made by @darthmorf
potion sickness.png

Copy and paste this to your signature:
Code:
[URL=http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/balancing-restored-hp-with-potion-sickness.6636/][IMG]http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?attachments/potion-sickness-png.13646/[/IMG][/URL]

Last edited:
As if a lot of people aren't already annoyed by the 1-min with Greater Healing pot. :sigh:

This makes all potion equal in hp healed/time, and thus nulls the reason why you would even bother with greater healing pot, except for the slots it saves. Not much of a use then.

Yeah, This would be cool. Support. (it also means I don't need to worry when I accidentally eat a mushroom I picked, up during a boss fight)

Yeah, This would be cool. Support. (it also means I don't need to worry when I accidentally eat a mushroom I picked, up during a boss fight)
You don't have to worry about that either. Ever since 1.2.4 was added, potions used from 'H' hotkey is automatically chosen depending on your health. I'm not sure about the ranges for each, but just know that smart potioning is already implemented. This is an unnecessary nerf on Greater Healing Potion, if you can't notice it.

You don't have to worry about that either. Ever since 1.2.4 was added, potions used from 'H' hotkey is automatically chosen depending on your health. I'm not sure about the ranges for each, but just know that smart potioning is already implemented. This is an unnecessary nerf on Greater Healing Potion, if you can't notice it.
What about the console version? No hotkeys there.

What about the console version? No hotkeys there.
And, this justifies your nerfing of Greater Healing Potions? Explain that to me how that works? This will only reduce health/time regen in the end-game. Put in another way, this makes Greater Healing pots worse, not better. And GHP is just barely making ends meet during end-game. What you are suggesting will ruin balance, not implement it.

I have to agree with Flakmaster on this one. The greater value potions are meant to actually be better. With this, having 3 lesser healing potions is just as good as 1 greater healing potion, and that isn't how potions are supposed to work.

Basically, here you have something that makes you have as much healing power against the first EoC fight as you do against a mech.

I think that the max should be 1 minute, that will make the normal greater healing potion worth as much as it is now while also making sure that it is worth it to upgrade your potions.

As if a lot of people aren't already annoyed by the 1-min with Greater Healing pot. :sigh:

This makes all potion equal in hp healed/time, and thus nulls the reason why you would even bother with greater healing pot, except for the slots it saves. Not much of a use then.
GHP would still be better. While it is true you heal the same amount with this idea, with GHP, you do heal faster short-term.

You could have 5 HP left and heal by mushroom for the minute and a half for 150 HP. But 10 seconds in you only have about 20 HP and you could be hit by something, like a Pumpking Scythe, for overkill damage. But if you had healed with the GHP instead, you'd have survived the attack, as you get that minute and a half's worth of healing instantly.

I'd like something like this, though without increasing GHP's potion sickness duration. It would give lesser healing items more purpose out of combat. Instead of using up a superior potion better used in combat, you could spend a few seconds and heal just as much with inferior healing items without having to wait out a whole minute. Superior healing items would be better for needing health right NOW with weaker items healing little by little over time.

GHP would still be better. While it is true you heal the same amount with this idea, with GHP, you do heal faster short-term.

You could have 5 HP left and heal by mushroom for the minute and a half for 150 HP. But 10 seconds in you only have about 20 HP and you could be hit by something, like a Pumpking Scythe, for overkill damage. But if you had healed with the GHP instead, you'd have survived the attack, as you get that minute and a half's worth of healing instantly.

I'd like something like this, though without increasing GHP's potion sickness duration. It would give lesser healing items more purpose out of combat. Instead of using up a superior potion better used in combat, you could spend a few seconds and heal just as much with inferior healing items without having to wait out a whole minute. Superior healing items would be better for needing health right NOW with weaker items healing little by little over time.
While GHP would remain more beneficial than the others with this, it still means less HP recovered per minute with pot use compared to how it is now. I don't see the nerf as something beneficial to the game. A different type of scaling might work, but not one so linearly disadvantaged.

Back
Top Bottom