Biomes & Nature Balancing the Corruption/Crimson

neoselket

Ice Queen
Ever since the introduction of the Crimson, the Corruption has been fading away. Why? Because the Crimson is basically a recolored Corruption with overpowered items. Except for mages, the Crimson is the most commonly used biome for playthrough due to it's blatant OPness. This suggestion is my attempt to fix it.
First off, you're probably thinking "but the enemies in the crimson are stronger than the corruption enemies, so it's balanced!" No. The Crimson enemies are somewhat more powerful than the Corruption ones, but the rewards are far better than anything you can obtain in the Corruption, and it also makes things like the moon events, all bosses, etc.
much easier than in corruption playthroughs.

Now, ichor is WAY more powerful than not only cursed flames, but all other player-inflicted debuffs. This is ridiculous. Currently, ichor decreases enemies' defense by 20, so you deal 10 extra damage to them each hit. Also, ichor affects more enemies than cursed flames. To fix this, i would increase the DPS of cursed flames to 8,(and increase the other DOT effects to match) and increase the duration by 10 seconds. Also, for each point of damage an enemy takes from cursed flames makes them deal 1 less damage. As for ichor, i would reduce the duration to 5 seconds, make it only affect as many mobs as cursed flames currently does, and make it reduce defense by 10 rather than 20. Think it's too weak now? currently, the best DOT(damage over time) debuff, frostburn, only does 6 damage per second, whereas ichor makes each attack deal 10 more damage, and you can easily hit an enemy more than once per second.

Next, the Vampire Knives. These things not only do decent damage, but they constantly heal you at a rate that renders health potions completely uneccesary. Before you say that the scourge of the corruptor does more damage, look at this:

the SOTC may seem to have more damage, but it actually has less DPS than the vampire knives. the main projectile, which lacks homing, deals roughly 64 damage. it then splits into 2-4 tiny eaters, which deal roughly half that. so, each one (we'll average it out and say there's 3) deals about 32 damage. 3x32+64=160 damage per click, without defense or criticals.
vampire knives deal about 29 damage each. it can shoot 4-8 projectiles, so we'll average that out to 6. if each projectile deals 29 damage, then 6x29=174 damage per click, without defense or criticals.

so on average: 160 SOTC damage per click, 174 VK damage per click.

now, if each of them shoot the least number of projectiles:

SOTC: 2x32+64=128
VK: 4x29=116

and if each of them shoot the maximum number of projectiles:

SOTC: 4x32+64=192
VK: 8x29=232

now, if we combine the totals of all of these:

SOTC: 480
VK: 522

and the vampire knives have healing, but the SOTC doesn't. also, the homing of the SOTC only works if the main projectile hits something. if it flies off into space, it won't home. also, each projectile might home into a different enemy, and deal less damage. however, the vampire knives spread, so can hit many different enemies and at short-medium range(i.e, the size of the screen) can be much more effective. and all that's without ichor(crimson) and cursed flames(corruption). plus the lifesteal of the vampire knives. and if you aim slightly off of a mob that is flying, than at least some of the vampire knives will hit it, but the main scourge projectile will not, resulting in no homing or damage at all. Yet more evidence of the VK's superiority is the fact that it has lower usetime than the scourge.

is the scourge better than the terra blade?

scourge: 64 damage
terra blade: 88 damage

now, imagine that all possible forms of each weapon hit the enemy. so each projectile, and the terra's blade.

terra blade: 88+88=176
scourge of the corruptor: 32x4+64=192

but that's only if the scourge gets the maximum number of projectiles spawned. if it gets the least:

scourge: 32x2+64=128

if it gets in the middle:

scourge: 32x3+64=160

so only one time out of 3 will it deal more damage. over a distance, the scourge is better for single enemies, but the terra blade pierces and so is better for groups. so the scourge is better than the TB and VK for just wandering around, but the TB and VK are better for moon events.

See? the vampire knives are WAY better. So to balance them out with the scourge, the scourge's homing eaters should deal the full damage of the original projectile. to nerf the vampire knives, they should only do 25 damage per knife, but the healing percentage should be increased to 10%. Also, they should heal a smaller percentage the closer the user gets to full health. Either that or just have a maximum of 6 knives per use.

Next, ichor torches. They can be placed underwater like cursed torches, but that doesn't even make sense. Why even make torches out of blood? It makes sense with cursed torches, as "even water can't put the flame out", but there isn't even any logic in making torches out of blood in the first place other than to match it up with the corruption, which is obviously weaker.

Now, there are some things the corruption has that the crimson doesn't. currently, the crimson is more than compensated for this, but if it's nerfed, it's going to need some compensation. therefore, i suggest a crimson variant of deathweed, bloodweed, used for crimson item crafting. Also, i suggest a worm tooth alternate, spider legs. It would drop from blood crawlers.

Last edited:
I suggest making the crimson even with the corruption too. I'm pretty sure there's lots more stuff you can write about. :)

I support the Corruption Crimson balancing. Cursed Inferno however also needs a buff, since ichor is supperior. How about Cursed also reduces damage by 20? Ichor reduces defense, so Cursed should reduces damage.

wow, i thought that a suggestion nerfing the crimson would get tons of hate, but apparently not! and i've incorporated your ideas in too.:)

Personally I find that the Crimson gear isn't really overpowered and doesn't need a nerf, for instance I have plenty of reasons to use other gear over Vampire Knives. Corruption is pretty underpowered though, so buffs are good. Personally I'll always take Crimson over Corruption, just because I like the theme more.

Back
Top Bottom