1. For issues you find with the Switch and Console releases, please follow this link and give as much detail as possible. This is the speediest way to get info to Pipeworks and get a hotfix in the works.
    Dismiss Notice

[Bug] More Options Editing Error - XXS_Auditor

Discussion in 'Forum Help & Feedback' started by darthmorf, May 14, 2017.

  1. darthmorf

    darthmorf Party Girl

    I was attempting to edit the CC# 48 thread, however when I click 'more options' chrome displays this error:

    I did a little testing, and this issue only occurs in CC posts - I assume it is something to do with the fact that they're front-paged. The issue doesn't occur in Chromium or Edge either.
  2. Tunnel King

    Tunnel King Administrator Staff Member Administrator

    The history for the CC #48 post shows that you edited it at the same time as your post above. I can edit it without an issue.

    The threads aren't moved or altered when they are 'front-paged'. There's simply a field set in the properties for the thread to make them an 'article', which is a particular 'view' of the database. That's really all the 'front page' is - an alternative presentation of the same information you see in the default forum index page.

    Are you still having this issue?
    darthmorf likes this.
  3. darthmorf

    darthmorf Party Girl

    I can edit using the popup window, just not on a new page through the 'more options' button. That is when the error occurs.
  4. Tunnel King

    Tunnel King Administrator Staff Member Administrator

    The 'more options' works for me, though I am using Firefox.

    eta: I fired up Chrome (gag) and got the same error as you.

    We'll need to have @Skiphs look into this.
    Last edited: May 14, 2017
    darthmorf likes this.
  5. Everest

    Everest Mechanic

    It's been a month, and I'm sure this issue has (technically) been solved (EDIT: back in Chrome 59 and I'm wrong). Nonetheless, I feel like explaining the issue here.

    After doing a little research, this seems to have been an issue with Chrome 57+ that was resolved with Chrome 58 (hence the issue is now technically solved). This explains why OP wasn't having issues when using Chromium versus Chrome: it was a different version that either didn't have a flawed XSS auditor, or had a fixed XSS auditor.

    "What's this 'XSS auditor' thing?"

    Simply, the XSS auditor is a function in Chromium (and therefore Chrome) that attempts to identify malicious code (specifically, certain forms of XSS) being sent in the parameters of HTTP requests and blocks responses where it thinks the malicious code was injected into the server's response. More specifically, if your browser submits a form with a malicious script and the server responds with a page that contains that same malicious script, the XSS auditor rejects the server's response as it assumes that the code that was "injected" is malicious and could be harmful to the user.

    This happens when you hit the "More Options..." button because that button submits what you have written (which is HTML when using the Rich Text Editor) so it can be shown again on the page that shows more options.


    I decided I should also identify specifically what Chrome was misidentifying as malicious. I couldn't get any of my posts (I actually only tried ATCF lol) to trigger it after downloading Chrome 57, so I quoted CC 59 and hit the "More Options..." and that successfully triggered the error.

    From there, I started taking out parts of the post. I took out the user content as that seems to change between posts and would therefore not cause an issue with all CC posts--and I was right. Then I started taking out parts of the start of each CC (which is the same) until the error didn't happen.

    I narrowed the error down to this paragraph:

    I was confused at first. What's odd about that paragraph? The only special bit about it is the link, but other parts of the CC intro have links and don't cause the issue. So I narrowed down further, and found the single issue (in this case) that caused the auditor to block the response:

    The link in the quote above points to a part of the forum using a url with HTTPS.

    Specifically, any BB Code URL that points to 'https://forums.terraria.org/' and any path following it would cause the XSS auditor to incorrectly block responses.

    Why? I dunno. Somebody at Google messed up.


    I'm going to put my own personal opinion and say there's no need for the forum staff (specifically the lovely Skiphs) to do anything about this. The lengths they have to go in order to fix this bug with an older version of Chromium (even more, not the forum) is not worth it.

    I even found a fair workaround in Chrome 57: toggle into the BB code editor (the button in the upper-right) and then hit "More Options...". You'll land on the page you want in the rich text editor, as you'd like. The reason this works is because XenForo submits BB code when you're in the BB code editor, and the XSS auditor doesn't look for BB code as a form of XSS, and therefore doesn't consider the HTTP request's paramters to be malicious.

    I'm also going to say that this should, by far, NOT cause people to make forum links point to HTTP instead of HTTPS. As a general guideline, I reccommend that all links to the forum should point to the HTTPS protocol for the forum's URL.


    Oops, went off topic, back to working on ATCF 2
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
    Tunnel King and darthmorf like this.
  6. darthmorf

    darthmorf Party Girl

    Some pretty solid troubleshooting there!
    Thanks for the tips on how to work around it. I'll edit this post to confirm if the issue is still a thing for me.