tModLoader Calamity Mod

What would you like me to create more of?

• NPCs (enemies, house NPCs, etc.)

Votes: 1,170 19.4%
  • Bosses

Votes: 2,451 40.7%
  • Items (Accessories, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 1,586 26.4%
  • Vanity (furniture, armor sets, etc.)

Votes: 438 7.3%
  • Mineable Stuff (Ores, Blocks, etc.)

Votes: 372 6.2%

• Total voters
I will, when I get the ores done. (I should've mentioned that I sprite very little on Fridays and Sundays, and Saturdays I don't sprite at all.)

Great! Don't rush yourself though. If all the ores and the Slime God aren't done by tomorrow I can always release a "stealth patch" later on to implement them after tomorrow's update.

New summon works pretty well.
105600_screenshots_20160824125509_1.jpg

To give an idea of new items that still need sprites here we have them. Aside from resprites these are the only new things that need to be done.

Items:
  1. Blood Clot Staff sprite. Summons a blood clot to fight for you.
  2. Teratoma sprite. Summons the Hive Mind.
  3. Accretion Disk sprite. Auto-thrown boomerang that emits a star-shape blast of more projectiles when enemies are near.
  4. Spatial Lance sprite. Spear that fires a spatial beam that can split into more spatial beams on enemy hit.
Minions:
  1. Blood Clot. Looks like an undulating blob of floating blood.
Enemy NPCs:
  1. Dark Heart. Looks like a corrupt version of the crimson shadow orbs. Summoned by the Hive Mind.
Armor sprites:
  1. Victide armor sprite sheets.
Tried to make this as detailed as possible as I have to go to work in 5 minutes.

After looking at the current plaguebringer sprite, non-offense to the spriter, but its actually pretty terrible.
The sprite's pretty anti-aliased and the shading's pretty cluttered. The sprite has no less than 100 colors, and its a nightmare to work with. It'll take me a bit to simplify the sprite's colors.
[EDIT]: 112 colors.
I'm still gonna keep the sprite faithful, but it certainly needs some changes.

After looking at the current plaguebringer sprite, non-offense to the spriter, but its actually pretty terrible.
The sprite's pretty anti-aliased and the shading's pretty cluttered. The sprite has no less than 100 colors, and its a nightmare to work with. It'll take me a bit to simplify the sprite's colors.
index.php
I WILL EAT ALL OF YOUR FREE TIME AND I AM VERY DIFFICULT TO ANIMATE!
No wonder it took so long to animate (parts) of it then.

ue9hgUs.png

Here's my "edited" version, added some details here & there to give the sprite more depth without cluttering it.
Before i animate it, i'd like to know what you would want to be added or changed.
My only complaint is the "Stinger" part of it. Making the base of the stinger smaller and raising it up a bit would make it look much better in my opinion.
EDIT: and the long green tentacles were really neat IMO as well, maybe add those back too. Again just my opinion, Drew and the others have the final word.

ue9hgUs.png

Here's my "edited" version, added some details here & there to give the sprite more depth without cluttering it. (from 112 to 10 colors)
Before i animate it, i'd like to know what you would want to be added or changed.
Definitely a big improvement, it could benefit from some more colors tho. I know it'd be more work, but I think the problem in the first place was it's posture. What if the thorax hanged down more and had a stinger pointing outwards more akin to the hornet sprite as opposed to the queen bee sprite of a horizontally shaped backside?

When spriting, usually your cap of colors should be 12 for most sprites. (characters should never go over 8 for example, the smaller the sprite, the less colors it should use.)
You should also remember that this is it's "Charging forwards" animation, but i'll see what i can do.
I'll wait for more responses to see what the consensus will be.

When spriting, usually your cap of colors should be 12 for most sprites. (characters should never go over 8 for example, the smaller the sprite, the less colors it should use.)
You should also remember that this is it's "Charging forwards" animation, but i'll see what i can do.
I'll wait for more responses to see what the consensus will be.
A lot of bosses and larger sprites break that rule, the destroyer has +50 colors to name one example. Adding 2-3 more gray colors and dithering them would make it look a lot better. Also I didn't realize it was in it's charging animation, my b

Comparison:
I30HJuU.png
WZRNS51.png

The color count is 14. I kind of just freeballed the whole thing so it's still not perfect by any means, but you get the point

Last edited:
Took some of @SnugBoat 's ideas and expanded the color pallete to 14 colors.
wF2pFHD.png

It really does make all the difference.
Instead of using it for dithering, i used it for details to make it look like more than just three balls.
[EDIT] @Mechantera
the tentacles are still there, just smaller. THe ones on the stinger however, are a lot bigger.

Took some of @SnugBoat 's ideas and expanded the color pallete to 14 colors.
wF2pFHD.png

It really does make all the difference.
Instead of using it for dithering, i used it for details to make it look like more than just three balls.
[EDIT] @Mechantera
the tentacles are still there, just smaller. THe ones on the stinger however, are a lot bigger.
I meant I liked the longer tentacles (please don't take this out of context :p) on the boss.
Also, WHOA that looks nice.

Back
Top Bottom