Cannonball Pumpkin Moon Arena (efficient and effective way of beating the event without traps)

DicemanX

Brain of Cthulhu
I created a number of trap-based Moon autofarms previously, but those farms are very resource intensive and not so easy to build. I also frequently see a lot of requests for help with the Pumpkin Moon event, so I decided to show how one can build a really simple arena and reach the final wave very quickly.

In the video below I use Sharknados to reach a record final wave time of 10:20pm, and for some follow-up fun with mechanical bosses. However, even with weaker minions (or no minions at all) the player can still reach the final wave before midnight due to the power of the almighty cannon. Therefore, this is one of the most effective and easiest approaches to the Pumpkin Moon. Sure some money has to be invested initially in cannonballs, but there's an immediate return on that investment after the night is over since each night can net 10-15 platinum after selling all the drops.

Video:

zmqQxFq.jpg

The cannonball semi-autofarm:

ZfiBSIM.jpg

Farm Essentials:

The platform up top has one cannon oriented directly upwards, with no obstructions above or below the cannon. This allows the cannonballs to be fired upwards, and those cannonballs will then fall back down to the ground below. During the Pumpkin Moon event cannons will continuously pierce all Pumpkings above the player and hit all the Mourning Woods that accumulate directly below the player.

The platform near the bottom of the arena is the spawn surface, and is 37 tiles below where the player is positioned during the event. The short length of the spawn surface ensures that the mobs and event bosses spawn very close to where the cannonballs hit. Lava covers the ground 84 tiles to the left and right of the player's position to block all spawns beyond the spawn surface, and the ground below the arena is filled in to the depth of 47 tiles from the player's position to block spawns there.

Finally, the player platform has dungeon spikes to the left and right. When the event bosses start showing up the player should move towards one of the spikes and take damage from it continuously. This will override most projectile damage from Pumpkings and Mourning Woods, but to survive the Dungeon Spike damage it is important to wear armor and accessories that boost defense as high as possible. A full set of defensive potions are advisable as well. I like to wear the Star Veil to make the damage less frequent.

The Dungeon Spike will not block most of the contact damage from Pumpkings, but because the cannon kills Pumkings so quickly, the hearts they drop will be more than sufficient to keep the player alive. In fact the later events are easier to survive because of all the Pumpkings on screen.

The arena also offers regeneration buffs via the campfire and heart lantern.

Strongly Recommended Potions/Food:

Wrath Potion (to boost minion damage by 10%)
Summon Potion (+1 to the number of minions)
Endurance Potion (prevent 10% of the damage)
Ironskin Potion (+8 defense)
Regeneration Potion (speeds up player regeneration)
Pumpkin Pie (boosts to regeneration, defense, and minion damage)

Other Recommended Potions:

Lifeforce Potion (boost health by 20%)
Heartreach Potion (easier to grab fallen hearts from pumpkings)
Inferno Potion (forms a ring of fire around the player and adds to damage)
Thorns Potion (damages Pumpkings back when hit)

Recommended Gear/Accessories:

Note that the suggested gear is to maximize final wave time and gold earned from the event. Weaker gear can be sufficient to reach the final wave quickly, so use your strongest available armor and accessories, and your strongest minions. Focus on defense, because damage and crit chance boosts on gear have no impact on cannon damage. The cannon already does massive damage, so your main goal should be to survive using the best defensive gear, and possibly add minions if you can.

When using armor and accessories that boost minion damage, note that the damage a minion does is established at the time of summoning, not afterwards. This means that you should always remove minion damage boosting gear after the minions have been summoned in favor of defensive gear. The exception to this is armor and accessories that increase the number of minions you have.

Here's a list of the most powerful gear to aim for if you want to set record final wave times:

Summon Staff:

Ruthless Tempest Staff

Armor:

Spooky Armor set
Tiki Armor set

Accessories:

Starting Set (before summoning minions):
Menacing Necromantic Scroll
Menacing Papyrus Scarab
Menacing Hercules Beetle
Menacing Destroyer Emblem
Menacing Avenger Emblem

1st swap (after summoning 7 minions):
Menacing Pygmy Necklace

2nd swap (after summoning all 9 minions):
Warding Necromantic Scroll
Warding Papyrus Scarab
Warding Pygmy Necklace
Warding Ankh Shield
Warding Star Veil

Protocol for summoning 9 most powerful Sharknados and maximizing player defense:

1) Wearing Spooky Armor and the first set of accessories listed above, drink a Summon Potion and a Wrath Potion, eat Pumpkin Pie, and then summon 7 Sharknados (150 damage each) using a Ruthless Tempest Staff.
2) Swap in a Menacing Pygmy Neckalce for a Menacing Destroyer Emblem and summon an 8th Sharknado.
3) Swap in the Tiki Armor set for the Spooky Armor set and summon the 9th Sharknado.
4) Swap in the Warding accessories listed above.

World Download:

The chest in the arena is loaded with cannonballs, potions, and boss summon and pumpkin moon summon items. To reach the arena, input A6 at the teleporter hub.

http://www.filedropper.com/dicemanxultimatehubworldv64

Last edited:
Holy cannonballs! :eek: Actually, an upturned canon (+ Star Veil) is how I finally managed to dispatch Skeletron Prime in my re-playthrough earlier this year. They don't get enough love, really. Good job.

Can we just clarify a few things about canons and cannonballs?:
  • They can piece an unlimited number of enemies? (Until it strikes a solid block and explodes.)
  • They can not critically strike.
  • Their base damage is increased by wrath potion and equipment modifiers like "menacing" (+4% damage)?
  • Size of explosion area? (Upon hitting the ground.)
  • Maximum fire rate of cannon? I averaged ~160 shots per minute (~2.7 per second).
  • Balls cost 15 silver each. So at above rate, that's 24 gold per minute (game hour).
  • So ~1440 balls needed for a full night (1 and a half stacks) at a cost of just over 2 platinum.
So you got to last wave before 12:00 midnight with just a canon? What was your best time for that? I managed 11:27 on my only run. But that was after I'd brutalised your arena a little (narrowed the spawn platform, opened up the space above it and removed teleporter). Didn't quite have optimal gear and didn't use thorns or inferno.
Terraria 2015-01-09 06-17-25-39.png
Did you experiment with different (even smaller) spawn platform widths? And with more open spawn area above it? (Obviously your decorations don't have a major blocking effect).

It might be an idea to include a little safety platform underneath the main area, where you can stand to stop spawns, in case of running out of balls or some other eventuality (Edit: where the spike isn't an option...?), to avoid being repeated slaughtered by the remainder of the event (until morning finally breaks).
In fact the later events are easier to survive because of all the Pumpkings on screen.
Indeed. This is why 'fighting' more bosses is not always harder, especially if summoning in earlier game bosses that damage block too (not talking about any of your vids, sir). Taking continual damage from Pumpkings is definitely helpful in negating the Wood's attacks; I found that sitting on a spike was wholly necessary to survive the Flaming Wood volleys (in the intermediate waves particularly).

Edit: Oh, and 10:20pm, is that definitely a new (world) record for PM? Congrats on breaking your old times! ;)

Holy cannonballs! :eek: Actually, an upturned canon (+ Star Veil) is how I finally managed to dispatch Skeletron Prime in my re-playthrough earlier this year. They don't get enough love, really. Good job.

• They can piece an unlimited number of enemies? (Until it strikes a solid block and explodes.)
  • Their base damage is increased by wrath potion and equipment modifiers like "menacing" (+4% damage)?
  • Maximum fire rate of cannon? I averaged ~160 shots per minute (~2.7 per second).
  • Balls cost 15 silver each. So at above rate, that's 24 gold per minute (game hour).
  • So ~1440 balls needed for a full night (1 and a half stacks) at a cost of just over 2 platinum.

Some good info compiled here!

From my brief tests it doesn't seem as if menacing modifiers or boosts to damage from things such as avenger and destroyer emblems affect cannon damage. By extension the Wrath potion might not impact damage either. When I use a statue to summon a hostile mob and use a cannon on it, the damage does not increase as significantly as it should when I transition from no accessories to those that add +20% damage via menacing reforges, +22% for avenger/destroyer emblems, and +10% from potions. I see roughly the same range of damage values instead.

So you got to last wave before 12:00 midnight with just a canon? What was your best time for that? I managed 11:27 on my only run. But that was after I'd brutalised your arena a little (narrowed the spawn platform, opened up the space above it and removed teleporter). Didn't quite have optimal gear and didn't use thorns or inferno.

Thorns and Inferno might actually be interfering with cannon damage - I should run some tests without using those potions. 11:27pm is a great time for cannon only - I managed times of 11:50pm-12am when running my own tests. I think narrowing the platform area is the key to better times since it saves a bit of time in the early waves when killing weaker mobs is important for progression.

Indeed. This is why 'fighting' more bosses is not always harder, especially if summoning in earlier game bosses that damage block too (not talking about any of your vids, sir). Taking continual damage from Pumpkings is definitely helpful in negating the Wood's attacks; I found that sitting on a spike was wholly necessary to survive the Flaming Wood volleys (in the intermediate waves particularly).

It is possible to evade most/all of the Wood damage by putting down some blocks in a vertical corridor where the player is instead of using the spike. But then Pumpkings might do enough damage to kill the player - I tried this approach initially since I wanted to avoid using spikes, but even with a massive armor set-up it was difficult to survive

Edit: Oh, and 10:20pm, is that definitely a new (world) record for PM? Congrats on breaking your old times! ;)

The autofarm record is 10:59pm currently, but this cannon farm is only a "semi" autofarm since it requires buttons to be held down. The Horseman's Blade farm might beat the 10:20pm time - haven't made any effort to try yet.

View attachment 19981
Did you experiment with different (even smaller) spawn platform widths? And with more open spawn area above it? (Obviously your decorations don't have a major blocking effect).

It might be an idea to include a little safety platform underneath the main area, where you can stand to stop spawns, in case of running out of balls or some other eventuality (Edit: where the spike isn't an option...?), to avoid being repeated slaughtered by the remainder of the event (until morning finally breaks).

:eek::eek::eek::sigh:

very interesting ideas, well done ;)Diceman! although the damage of cannon is inferior to bunny cannon, but it can penetrate, this is very important to your new set up. i think, the biggest disadvantage is its huge:D cost.

very interesting ideas, well done ;)Diceman! although the damage of cannon is inferior to bunny cannon, but it can penetrate, this is very important to your new set up. i think, the biggest disadvantage is its huge:D cost.

I still need to try the Bunny Cannon out - even though it won't hit Mourning Woods it might prove to be much more effective in the later waves to kill groups of Pumpkings faster. Alternately I could try both cannons, putting the bunny cannon below the cannon and switching to it when a large group of pumpkings appears (using the CTRL key allows for switching between ammo faster than equipping/holding ammo).

The only problem with the bunny cannon is that the ammo is a pain to get. Cannon ammo might be expensive for the duration of the event (over 2 platinum) but you get a massive return on that investment so the cost is not really an issue :).

I still need to try the Bunny Cannon out - even though it won't hit Mourning Woods it might prove to be much more effective in the later waves to kill groups of Pumpkings faster. Alternately I could try both cannons, putting the bunny cannon below the cannon and switching to it when a large group of pumpkings appears (using the CTRL key allows for switching between ammo faster than equipping/holding ammo).

The only problem with the bunny cannon is that the ammo is a pain to get. Cannon ammo might be expensive for the duration of the event (over 2 platinum) but you get a massive return on that investment so the cost is not really an issue :).
:Dhaha, yes you can get a massive return on that investment, but i think you should catch the bunnies one by one, it's really..:sigh:.. i think, in fact, mutiplayer will be better in this case. i did some tests in older versions, let me look some pictures for you.

OK, made some improvements to the Cannon Arena. Here are the results:

Cannon ONLY:

KffAHLi.jpg

11:03 final wave time with only cannonball damage. No traps or minions used.

Cannon + 9 Ravens:

nTnu1vO.jpg

New record for an AFK farm! Ravens are better than Sharknados.

This farming run generated the following amount of money after selling off all the drops:

K7XnbVi.jpg

24 platinum + 31 gold from 9 minutes of farming. That's a rate of around 162 platinum per hour!

I will be posting a video of Pumpkin Moon farming, and I'll include the updated Cannon Arena in the video.

I was not able to get much from this because there was too little enemies at the beginning. Then the mourning wood came out, and the flaming wood destroyed me. There was no pumpking around to get health back, so i had to dodge them. The wood still managed to trap me and kill me. The pumpkings didn't help at all. I had everything said in the main thread, and they just killed me.

I was not able to get much from this because there was too little enemies at the beginning. Then the mourning wood came out, and the flaming wood destroyed me. There was no pumpking around to get health back, so i had to dodge them. The wood still managed to trap me and kill me. The pumpkings didn't help at all. I had everything said in the main thread, and they just killed me.

Did you use the dungeon spike? Sitting on it blocks projectile damage, so the Woods cannot touch you, just like you see in the video. Also, are you on PC or console/mobile, and if you're on PC are you in multiplayer/playing on a server?

This farm works well for other PC players exactly as shown in the video, so we should be able to figure out what went wrong in your attempts. Incidentally, the Pumpkin moon event usually starts slowly and really picks up the pace once you're past the first few waves. However it is critical to block spawn areas below the spawn platform, since the spawns can initiate 45 tiles below the player's position and the spawn surface is only 36 tiles below the player. Check to see if there are any caverns (minimum 3x2 areas) underneath the farm, or just shift the farm up so that the lava is 45 tiles below the player's position.

I'm on PC, the spikes also don't work! They block the greek fire, but the flaming wood just comes right through and kills me!
I'm also on a desert, so any caverns should be blocked out by sand
If i TOUCH the spikes, then my health is drained all of the time!

I'm on PC, the spikes also don't work! They block the greek fire, but the flaming wood just comes right through and kills me!
I'm also on a desert, so any caverns should be blocked out by sand
If i TOUCH the spikes, then my health is drained all of the time!

You need to be constantly on the spike in the fourth wave onwards. You'll also need to have enough defense (around 60-70 at least, which can be achieved with warding reforges) to avoid taking too much damage; using a cross necklace helps a lot. Once you reach wave 7 the health will be replenished very often since the pumpkings die pretty quickly with constant cannon-fire.

Here's an updated video and farm by the way (skip to 7:20):

I use adamantite armor and warding accessories, including the cross necklace, in the run where I use the cannon only. How do your runs compare to what you see in the video?

Good stuff, looks like another winner. I just don't like making my guy sit on a spike. It's bad enough all of my toons have nightmares about slimes, I don't think they could handle a spike in the butt for that long without breaking. lol

I did it this time!
I didn't make it before midnight, though.
But I found my flaw: I was using Tiki stuff for minions, and the minions didn't help much.
So I switched to damage accessories and Beetle (shell) armor.
Also slow at the beginning, but at wave 15 there were like 20 kings on me! I also didn't die!
And a few changes to your own design:
Platform is smaller
Teleporters to the platform (my arena is next to a straight drop and a cliff)
Didn't use the cannon until the M. W.
Teleporter from the bottom platform to the top.

Buffs:
Wisp
Seedling (pet, did nothing but look awesome)
Sharknado (one)
Heart Lantern
Campfire
Beetle Endurance (stacked to whatever)
Regeneration

I just added the teleporters before the last time I did it. It worked perfectly! I used the Flairon before MW came, and the enemies came through the teleporters and died! I also got to the Final Wave at 12:25 AM. So close!!
Thanks for showing me this, and I hope this works with the Frost Moon.

I just added the teleporters before the last time I did it. It worked perfectly! I used the Flairon before MW came, and the enemies came through the teleporters and died! I also got to the Final Wave at 12:25 AM. So close!!
Thanks for showing me this, and I hope this works with the Frost Moon.

Probably not. Ice Queens probably won't move into the cannon's firing area. Same with the Elf Copters.

Back
Top Bottom