Game Mechanics Cap the max momentum damage of all Jousting Lances to 5,000 so that you can't abuse that to one hit dungeon guardian

But for the 1% that do, it is an OP and broken "mechanic" aka bug that needs to be fixed
imo it is really not relevant for pretty much all unrestricted "normal" playthroughs, as normal weapons work just fine and abusing such a thing kind of ruins your fun in boss fights. I can certainly see the appeal in fixing the infinite speed tube exploit but that really just... isn't relevantly broken for any single player save. Perhaps you could argue that it ruins multiplayer but 1. I've never actually seen this get used and 2. public multiplayer servers are few and far between anyways; this game is still primarily single player.

imo it is really not relevant for pretty much all unrestricted "normal" playthroughs, as normal weapons work just fine and abusing such a thing kind of ruins your fun in boss fights. I can certainly see the appeal in fixing the infinite speed tube exploit but that really just... isn't relevantly broken for any single player save. Perhaps you could argue that it ruins multiplayer but 1. I've never actually seen this get used and 2. public multiplayer servers are few and far between anyways; this game is still primarily single player.
the fact it exists is why it needs to be fixed. Infinite damage exploits, difficult to set up though they may be, is clearly unbalanced and must be fixed, so a cap would solve this problem

Man, why? Just leave it as is. It's funny, ridiculously impractical, and far from the optimal way to kill the Dungeon Guardian.
the fact it exists is why it needs to be fixed. Infinite damage exploits, difficult to set up though they may be, is clearly unbalanced and must be fixed, so a cap would solve this problem
Considering that lances have been in the game since 1.4 and this has never been patched out, despite being very well-known and documented, it's safe to say the devs don't consider it unbalanced.

Man, why? Just leave it as is. It's funny, ridiculously impractical, and far from the optimal way to kill the Dungeon Guardian.
Its Op and clearly a mistake.

Considering that lances have been in the game since 1.4 and this has never been patched out, despite being very well-known and documented, it's safe to say the devs don't consider it unbalanced.
Now that might be true, putting it in a similar place to the hoik. But that doesn't make it any more balanced. It still SHOULD be fixed, even if they refuse to...

Its Op and clearly a mistake.

Now that might be true, putting it in a similar place to the hoik. But that doesn't make it any more balanced. It still SHOULD be fixed, even if they refuse to...
Ok, then. I'm going to explain exactly why I disagree that it's unbalanced.

This is Mappy's video explaining how to make a Dungeon Guardian farm using the Jousting Lance. At a glance, we can see that it requires a Bottomless Honey Bucket, hoiking, several teleporters, bubble blocks, the Inner Tube (but NOT the Mollusk Whistle), and dummy ghosts. The setup is very specific, can only be done in Hardmode, takes over a minute to actually reach top speed, and requires the Mechanic to be freed, meaning it cannot be done on a world that the Dungeon Guardian still exists in.

This is the simplest method to do this glitch, one that Mappy said is "sweat-free," and it requires a lot of game knowledge and more than one exploit. It's safe to say that absolutely nobody will stumble upon this in their playthroughs; in fact, it's safe to say that absolutely nobody will even think to do this without indication that it's possible. The barrier to entry, both in accessibility and convenience, is pretty damn high. And for what, to one-shot the Dungeon Guardian and get a Bone Key? When you could also just kill the Dungeon Guardian without it, with much less setup and possibly even faster overall depending on which weapon you used?

But maybe you could use this setup to cheese bosses? No, I don't think that's very feasible either. Bosses aren't going to sit there and let you build up speed for a minute. In lower difficulties, this setup isn't at all easy enough for it to be preferable for killing bosses, and on higher ones, you'd still be better off making an actual build and fighting the boss normally. There are quite a few bosses it wouldn't work on at all. Plantera doesn't get close enough in phase one, Lunatic Cultist doesn't get close to you at all, trying this on the Pillars would just result in you getting swarmed by enemies, and Moon Lord also doesn't get within jousting lance range of the player until all three eyes are downed. Not to mention that you'd have to rebuild the entire setup every time. And all of this is assuming that people would even want to do this; I'd imagine most players would rather fight bosses "legit."

In short, this exploit may output the highest damage in the game, but it's highly impractical, extremely specific, time-consuming, requires knowledge of several exploits, leaves the player a sitting duck, and doesn't work on the endgame bosses. There's a reason it's only used to kill the Dungeon Guardian. I cannot call for the removal of something this silly. Just leave it alone.

If you are just using it in single player, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to use this. I think that the contraption could be easily be destroyed in multiplayer, so even if you could somehow build it, it would be useless.

Idea (which I figured I would bring back to this thread), the cap should be 4 times their base damage (rather than an arbitrary number for all the lances). Maybe even x8? But that is already PLENTY in my opinion.

Jousting lance instakills are anything but a dominant strategy, in order to set it all up you need to make a massive time investment which could already be spent on making multiple hoik loops to kill DG that way. It is a novel concept and way too complicated to be considered a better idea than other existing and proven methods.
It is already a waste of time, I do not understand why it should be capped.

Back
Top Bottom