PC Challenge idea help needed

Sheba

Official Terrarian
Hey guys,

it's been over a year since I played Terraria and I decided it's time for a second playthrough. The first time, I did a large world playthrough and just tried kinda everything, though mostly played summoner, apparently spending over 200 hours according to steam.

Now, to give myself a different experience, I decided I want to try a themed challenge thing in a normal world, but I'm not sure if my challenge ideas are really doable even in normal. Since I know lots of people did impose restrictions upon themselves for fun in Terraria before, I wanted to ask for advice which of my two ideas is better or if they both suck.

Idea 1: Bee-Challenge
- Bee/Wasp/Hornet weapons only, before they are aquired, wooden weapons are allowed.
- Free accessory choice, but the Honeycomb must always be included once it's aquired.
- Only allowed mount is the bee mount.
- Only building with wood and hive walls, never stone, like a real bee.
- Everything that looks like cloth armor is allowed.
- First wings must be the bee wings, upgrades are allowed but the bee wings must then take up the vanity slot.
- I would give myself the Hive Pack from an expert world upon reaching hardmode because, well, I think hardmode will suck.

I forsee huge damage problems with this, since the hornets would be my only summon. Pre-hardmode should be completely okay (I killed WoF with Beenades more than once in my first playthrough), but hardmode will be a nightmare as the only weapon I will get - if I even make it that far - is the Wasp Gun and that thing doesn't even scale with the Hive Pack. So I would be mainly stuck with pre-hardmode weapons. Is this doable for a pretty bad player?

Idea 2: Ice-Challenge
- Ice-themed weapons only.
- Base must be built in the snow biome (yay, blizzards...) and mainly out of snow/ice.
- First wings must be Frozen Wings, which must at least remain in a vanity slot later when better wings are doable.
- Ideally this would take place in a world where the spawnpoint is in a snow biome, but that doesn't seem to happen in large worlds?
- The Flurry Boots, Blizzard in a Bottle and Ice Mirror must be used; the equivalents (like Hermes Boots) are not allowed. Crafting the frost-items into other things later is okay, though - no accessory restrictions beyond the initial accessory use.
- Only Rudolph allowed as mount... so might as well not use any, I didn't even get him in my first playthrough.

I think I have a lot more damage options here than with the bees, though having only the Frost Hydra as summon is tough, since that means no summons before Plantera and also no mobile summons ever. I never used ice-weapons before (I spent my entire pre-hardmode in my first playthrough with an Enchanted Sword and a Beekeeper), so I don't know how well this would work out, either, though at least I do get some weapons in hardmode. Also no clue how horribly annoying having a snow biome base during blizzards will be - I don't like underground bases much and would build on the surface.

Anyone with any advice? I also gladly take advice on world size - I loved my large world, but it was really, really large and annoying to get anywhere even with all the good mounts. Small worlds feel really small, though, and I hate having harpies on me close to the ground. I I think would definitely need to take a large world for the bee challenge as I wanna build a hive attached to a living tree as base and having harpies around me while doing that would be horrid.

Thanks for any input. :)

The ice challenge is far more doable for a full playthrough, whereas the bee idea would be very difficult once you get a little bit into hardmode because of the lack of items. Frostburn arrows will be your friend, especially early on.

Well if large is too big and small to small, medium seems like the best choice after all.
Okay there, Dr. Seuss.

The ice challenge is far more doable for a full playthrough, whereas the bee idea would be very difficult once you get a little bit into hardmode because of the lack of items. Frostburn arrows will be your friend, especially early on.

Okay there, Dr. Seuss.
You've found my rhymes, and you bear a grudge, but you've phased through my ego, not even a smudge.

The bee challenge items are made quite clear, bit it's far too challenging, balance not near.

The ice challenge seems to hold true, while it seems a bit tough I'd not leave feeling blue.

There's always expert, if given the choice. It's quite a fun time, I think you'd rejoice.

Thank you so much for the help!

Well if large is too big and small to small, medium seems like the best choice after all.

You've found my rhymes, and you bear a grudge, but you've phased through my ego, not even a smudge.

The bee challenge items are made quite clear, bit it's far too challenging, balance not near.

The ice challenge seems to hold true, while it seems a bit tough I'd not leave feeling blue.

There's always expert, if given the choice. It's quite a fun time, I think you'd rejoice.
I tested the medium and found it not right - it's not about width, it's about height.
I need it to be far until reaching space since I don't like Wyverns fly straight into my base.
The advice sounds great, I shall then go with ice. I'm not a fan of Expert, it's not very nice.
(This was really bad, sorry, I'm not a native English speaker...)

That's what I figured would be the case, thank you for the confirmation. I really hope I can do it without Frostburn arrows, actually - I'm very, very, very bad with bows. I've got a bad vision impairment and already need to play on 800x600 resolution and sadly half the time, I am looking for my cursor since I just lose sight of it despite having already made it super-visible. Any weapon that requires ammo is therefore very bad for me as that ammo often goes flying into nowhere instead of into the enemy and 800x600 means that all enemies come pretty close to me anyway, so I'm usually better off with close combat. It's also why I ended as a summoner last time - the minions do their job without me needing to see anything.
Ice it shall be then! Maybe I'll just make a never-going-hardmode world for the bees one day then just to build a cool hive base.

I'm making a horrible double post because I have another question:
Now that I have decided on doing an ice challenge, I'm desperately trying to have the natural spawn in a snow biome to match my theme. However, after 50 large world generations - which took most of my day - I still haven't managed to get one. I checked the seed thread here and a lot of people got snow biome spawn seeds, but seemingly only in small and medium worlds.
Can anyone confirm that it's impossible to get one in a large world in the current patch version? Gonna go crazy at this rate...

I'm making a horrible double post because I have another question:
Now that I have decided on doing an ice challenge, I'm desperately trying to have the natural spawn in a snow biome to match my theme. However, after 50 large world generations - which took most of my day - I still haven't managed to get one. I checked the seed thread here and a lot of people got snow biome spawn seeds, but seemingly only in small and medium worlds.
Can anyone confirm that it's impossible to get one in a large world in the current patch version? Gonna go crazy at this rate...
While completely possible, it's completely unfair. Try using a seed to get ice as your lair.
As far as I know it's in experimental features, and it can bring you the craziest of creatures.

While completely possible, it's completely unfair. Try using a seed to get ice as your lair.
As far as I know it's in experimental features, and it can bring you the craziest of creatures.
I searched for seeds but had no luck. No large snow-spawn worlds, so I am still stuck.
I even found a mod which searches for seeds, thinking it could find me the snow that I need.
It has many options, like dungeons in blue - but it still can't find seeds with ice under you.
I also need Corruption to taint my ground as I'm not good with gore from the Crimson around. :/

I don't see how the Bee-Challenge would work as there's not enough reliable bee (and wasp) related weapon and accessories.

Perhaps you should try to do an Animal-Challenge where you're only allowed to use animal related gear,
which would increase the longevity of the challenge than limiting yourself to (an already limited) bee related gear.

I don't see how the Bee-Challenge would work as there's not enough reliable bee (and wasp) related weapon and accessories.

Perhaps you should try to do an Animal-Challenge where you're only allowed to use animal related gear,
which would increase the longevity of the challenge than limiting yourself to (an already limited) bee related gear.
First a blade of mandibles is yours
Then bust down your orbs doors.

With a dealer of arms you get a shark
And to queen be you must embark

With the flesh wall down and mech bosses near
You should grab some spider gear

Like a summoner keep this trend
Until a spider brings planteras end.

Grab some pygmys, tiki armor, and a phirina gun
Strike fishron till he's done.

Your last gear gain is a flarion
Now go make the moon lord gone!

I have an idea of this interesting challenge,
though I am quite skeptical if it ever going to work.

The Miner Challenge:-
+You could only use pickaxes (and drill) as weapon
+Saw maybe allowed (removing it would give extra challenge)
+Bomb and dynamite, but no nades
+Any armour (Logically you would only use melee armour)
+*Extra challenge: Only mining armour
+Flare gun perhaps (Since it doesn't count as a ranged weapon as it have it own unique damage which
isn't effected by range boasting staff and would make sense for a mine to carry)
+*Maybe no mount allowed other than the Drill Containment Unit
+*Maybe it an underground only challenge

*Just putting this here: fishing is allowed
[doublepost=1540050102,1540049973][/doublepost]

Grab some pygmys, tiki armor, and a phirina gun
Strike fishron till he's done.

I pretty sure pygmys aren't animal.

Wow, this thread now took off! Awesome!
(Meanwhile, ten worlds later, still no snow-spawn for me...)

I wanted to do bees specifically since in RL I actually really care about wasps (yeah, weird, I know; I'm even allergic but they're super-fascinating animals) and the bee stuff is the closest thing to that in Terraria. Okay, I also care about bunnies, but that only makes me NEVER use bunnies as weapons, so...
I'm pretty sure I'll go with ice at this point, but I just cannot find the world I need for it... I just made another and started in a world totally flooded ugh lol, but no snow biome for me...

As for animals in general, that IS a good idea, but I feel like I pretty much did a lot of that challenge last time when I was summoner. That's basically all the animals as main sources of damage.

The Miner Challenge:-
Pretty sure that would work for most of the game but the bosses would be hell. Even Queen Bee would be tough, but imagine beating the Cultist or the Moon Lord with such short-ranged weapons... Flare Gun would be a must, but that's likely just as sucky in hardmode as my Bee idea...

Pretty sure that would work for most of the game but the bosses would be hell. Even Queen Bee would be tough, but imagine beating the Cultist or the Moon Lord with such short-ranged weapons... Flare Gun would be a must, but that's likely just as sucky in hardmode as my Bee idea...

I would most likely be "set the boss on fire and run like hell until they burn challenge"

Pickaxes does do mediocre damage.
Bomb and Dynamite do decent damage pre and early hardmode (with some collacteral damage)
Flask could help a bit.

Half this thread is like a nerdy mating call...

Anyway, I was going to point you out to The Terraria Seed Project, but it looks like you already know about it.
One thing I'd like to know is how much you've used it to search for your snow world, as I can't figure out if you mean you've searched a heck of a lot and couldn't find one, or if you couldn't find the option to check for a snow spawn (it's under Phase 3, btw).

I'm trying this mod for the first time myself because I would very much like to spawn in such a world (didn't even know it was possible to spawn outside forest), but sadly my computer is quite slow (it's fine playing, but world gen is so slow). If I find one, I'll post here. :nursegrin:

EDIT: Holy hellfire, success after 30 minutes! :nurseeek: And to be sure, I just generated a world using this seed with the parameters large, normal, corruption: 0511550183

Hope this satisfies your challenge, and good luck! :nursewink:

Another EDIT: Randomly found another while looking for a good world to build in: 1165201549

Doesn't look good for building, sadly, but it might be an alternative for your challenge!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom