Terraria: Otherworld Changing of the Guard: An Update from Otherworld

Status
Not open for further replies.
But that is what they do every time something big causes a delay.

What they do is explain the delay, then assure us that spoilers/updates will start back up soon, then go radio silent for a minimum of 4 months, and come back to explain the delay, assure us that spoilers/updates will start back up soon, then go radio silent again.

I feel like most people aren't so much frustrated with how long the game is taking to release, we all want a good solid game, and are willing to wait.

The frustrating part is when they assure us of improved/increased communication, then utterly fail to communicate for long periods of time. And that this hasn't happened just once, or even twice, but multiple times.

What they do is explain the delay, then assure us that spoilers/updates will start back up soon, then go radio silent for a minimum of 4 months, and come back to explain the delay, assure us that spoilers/updates will start back up soon, then go radio silent again.
4 months isn't even that long, especially in game development. Expecting consistent updates in a shorter amount of time is pretty high of an expectation.

4 months isn't even that long, especially in game development. Expecting consistent updates in a shorter amount of time is pretty high of an expectation.

I 100% disagree. In the original post

• Scope: We will be working with Pipeworks to examine the entire game, from top to bottom, to see how it fits with our high expectations and core vision for this project.
  • Timing: As we know more about the specifics of timing, etc and/or have fresh spoilers to share, we absolutely will - though expect the "quiet period" to go on just a bit longer while Pipeworks gets ramped up and we actually have new things to show.
  • Impact on other work: Pipeworks will staff up appropriately so that the Otherworld workload does not have any impact on the timing/quality of the Terraria 1 Console/Mobile/Switch launch
  • Other Changes: We will be doing a full refresh of all of the Otherworld public-facing locations (Website/Twitter/Facebook/etc.) - including a revamp of the logo itself :cool:As these are completed, we will be sure to let you know so that you can check things out!

Any point in the last 4 months a simple post along the lines of. "We've gotten about "x" way through examining the game, we're expecting to begin working with artists on the logo revamp soon! Exciting times! Stay tuned!"

It takes 5 min to post something, and goes along ways towards keeping people engaged. Simply put, it's about making the effort to show that you understand the frustrations of those waiting, and that even if you really can't reveal anything, you're acknowledging the issue, and doing something, regardless of how small, towards it.

Where has anyone said they do not understand the frustrations of waiting? We feel it too - by a factor many times over.

Game development doesn't play well with simple statements like "we are X% through Y" - it is not a straight path, it is a winding road. As the OP stated, it is gonna take time - and it will take the time it takes - to fully assess everything and point the ship in the right direction.

When we have more to share, we absolutely will. Rest assured that progress is being made - not that it will placate the desire for more detailed information. :)

Where has anyone said they do not understand the frustrations of waiting? We feel it too - by a factor many times over.

Game development doesn't play well with simple statements like "we are X% through Y" - it is not a straight path, it is a winding road. As the OP stated, it is gonna take time - and it will take the time it takes - to fully assess everything and point the ship in the right direction.

When we have more to share, we absolutely will. Rest assured that progress is being made - not that it will placate the desire for more detailed information. :)
A game developer dreads set backs more than the fans do because they're at the front of it all trying to figure out the problem and finding a solution that will fix it as to not disappoint the fans. Unless the developer is named EA. Then they just copy pasta and call it good, then release DLC to finish their incomplete game. lol

I'm just glad they explained what happened when they already had a solution in progress before they released a statement. I'm also glad it's nothing financial related that set it back.

In the mean time, I'm going to play Stellaris. Maybe create a Re-Logic space empire and conquer the galaxy.

I 100% disagree. In the original post

Any point in the last 4 months a simple post along the lines of. "We've gotten about "x" way through examining the game, we're expecting to begin working with artists on the logo revamp soon! Exciting times! Stay tuned!"

It takes 5 min to post something, and goes along ways towards keeping people engaged. Simply put, it's about making the effort to show that you understand the frustrations of those waiting, and that even if you really can't reveal anything, you're acknowledging the issue, and doing something, regardless of how small, towards it.
It may take 5 minutes to post something, but it sure doesn't take 5 minutes to make something worth posting. That's honestly the simplest way to put it.

Now stop poking them for the love and let them finish their work please. Every bits grain of sands only sits there as it is being toss back in the ocean, all the sands is not refine to its shapes to give other sands take its shapes to be smooth. Such as the glasses on the beach no one bother the glass nor did anything on them, but they let the shore and the ocean takes care that giving them the most refine shines as pepbles glass that is refine to be perfection. If you do not let the natrual order take care in time then your patient is shorter then you thought to be even its hours, days or years man patient does not have no matter what, so let your patient extend to enternal of that time, if you do not how do you forgive yourself for not being patient that long or to be it. Know that when the time come the come shall be completed, so always hope for the developer to finish the game before enternal comes.

I feel like most people aren't so much frustrated with how long the game is taking to release, we all want a good solid game, and are willing to wait.

The frustrating part is when they assure us of improved/increased communication, then utterly fail to communicate for long periods of time. And that this hasn't happened just once, or even twice, but multiple times.

I fully agree with this. I'll say it again: I am absolutely not complaining about the game itself being delayed whatsoever. It's an unfortunate situation, but I very much appreciate how hard it is to make games. Every game hits at least a few bumps on the way to release, and I would much rather have a good game later than a bad or mediocre game now. They should take all the time they need and then a little more for extra polish.

My only minor complaint regarding Re-Logic itself is how they have no problem giving us frequent updates when things are going well, but go silent for months straight when things aren't. It is no way "entitlement" to expect as much communication in the bad times as the good, and I strongly resent the idea from others on this forum that our curiosity about the project and fan interest is only valid when Re-Logic feels like talking. If it's cool to want news/trailers/spoilers/whatever when they want to stoke the consumer fires, it's just as cool to want info at times like this, and nobody calls "entitlement" when things are going smoothly with developers happily talking and fans eagerly listening. If anything, to expect us to be receptive when there's good news, but also to be happy with nothing in the bad times, is being entitled. Or at the very least, it's an all too common double-standard, this sure isn't the first such situation where I've heard the same unjustified claims of entitlement from fellow fans of some game or another.

It's not that we have absolutely nothing else to do with our empty lives and need constant updates in and of themselves, the problem is just that we're apparently only supposed to be interested when it's convenient. Multiple updates a month back when Otherworld was proceeding well, and silence for about half a year per stretch since it got rocky. Personally, it's the double-standard that bothers me more than the silence itself, and by a wide margin.

Thous who complain does not cherish others but themselves, if your complain wants there is nothing to bring nor speed the time for it does not help anyone in spirit, but only want bring themselves to sin not do so what the person complain about what they want. As it has its story I could say who to tell a story could be true or not, but know this, be patient of the person that who tells a story, listen careful to every words and think thoughly long ans possible in way like meditation so listen and thinkfully to be wise with words.

I fully agree with this. I'll say it again: I am absolutely not complaining about the game itself being delayed whatsoever. It's an unfortunate situation, but I very much appreciate how hard it is to make games. Every game hits at least a few bumps on the way to release, and I would much rather have a good game later than a bad or mediocre game now. They should take all the time they need and then a little more for extra polish.

My only minor complaint regarding Re-Logic itself is how they have no problem giving us frequent updates when things are going well, but go silent for months straight when things aren't. It is no way "entitlement" to expect as much communication in the bad times as the good, and I strongly resent the idea from others on this forum that our curiosity about the project and fan interest is only valid when Re-Logic feels like talking. If it's cool to want news/trailers/spoilers/whatever when they want to stoke the consumer fires, it's just as cool to want info at times like this, and nobody calls "entitlement" when things are going smoothly with developers happily talking and fans eagerly listening. If anything, to expect us to be receptive when there's good news, but also to be happy with nothing in the bad times, is being entitled. Or at the very least, it's an all too common double-standard, this sure isn't the first such situation where I've heard the same unjustified claims of entitlement from fellow fans of some game or another.

It's not that we have absolutely nothing else to do with our empty lives and need constant updates in and of themselves, the problem is just that we're apparently only supposed to be interested when it's convenient. Multiple updates a month back when Otherworld was proceeding well, and silence for about half a year per stretch since it got rocky. Personally, it's the double-standard that bothers me more than the silence itself, and by a wide margin.
That's a perspective I've not thought of before. I don't 100% agree with you though. I'm not sure it's a double standard as much as just good public relations. People have amazingly long and detailed memories for the bad things, but readily forget the good times. If you have even a short stretch of bad news that can often linger for long after you get it fixed. In turn that bad news can give a game the reputation that it should be avoided even after things are fine. Reporting on troubled development without a clear answer for what's going to fix it can and has killed games even after being fully released. It's not as simple as they just don't want to tell you the bad news when their very livelihood is on the line.

It's not that we have absolutely nothing else to do with our empty lives...
No no, let's be honest here, this IS the problem of all the complainers.
Like I said many times before, no one has the right to even complain about/demand anything, for reasons I've mentioned a few posts earlier. The fact that people do is just because they have nothing better to do. If they had productive lives they'd go do something useful instead of 'waiting' for something that, in a worse case scenario, might not even get here.
I highly doubt ReLogic only wants you to be interested when it conveniences them, but even so, you can't expect them (nor any other developer studio) to give you information when there's no information they have or even want to give. What's going on behind the scenes during development is their business, not ours. And to my knowledge they never made any promises to us about the amount of info we'd get or release dates and whatnot.

Perhaps it's nice of people to care about ReLogic's progress on the game, but in the end I feel their caring is rather selfish and hollow, at least for the majority, because people just want to get their hands on the game and play it. I wouldn't call that a genuine interest, at least not for the developers' well-being. People just want the final product, and thanks to the continuous growth of this sickening age of instant gratification people expect it as soon as possible, without unnecessary waiting.
In other words, people are spoiled.

Call me cynical, but that's how I see it.

I've also never seen any 'frequent updates' on T:OW, so there hasn't been a sudden change here. It's not like we got treated on new info every week, after which they suddenly stopped. As far as I know the past years have spawned 3 short videos and a few screenshots and that's it.

If someone wants a fast version of all this thread:
Devs: We're going to do this but it will take time
Person 1: TAKE TIME?
Person 2: yes
Person 1: this is shameful
Person 2: no
Person 1: *emits a theory*
Admin, mod, dev etc.: no it's not that, we told you it would take time and that's all there is to it

*repeat*

We players all have too much time to spend... Who has an interesting theory about the game instead? :dryadsmile:

If someone wants a fast version of all this thread:
Devs: We're going to do this but it will take time
Person 1: TAKE TIME?
Person 2: yes
Person 1: this is shameful
Person 2: no
Person 1: *emits a theory*
Admin, mod, dev etc.: no it's not that, we told you it would take time and that's all there is to it

*repeat*

We players all have too much time to spend... Who has an interesting theory about the game instead? :dryadsmile:
Yeah, this is pretty much what reading this thread feels like.

Dear Developers,

We know we ask too much from you and we appreciate that you been working hard, I know time is against you and your clock. While I try talk some sense (even thou I went insane here and there), but trying claim down the crowds, this is why I try entertain people for seconds and doing memes also talking some wise words for them. I hope your game progress is flowing finest clean river it can flow for people to have fun and enjoy the game. Let good words encouragment bring you and your spirits to not faulter in your path while you still doing programing.

As we will try and wait as long as possible and hope for good hope you will finish the game so many dieing fans or other people will imbrace the enjoyment of your game that will express in every way emotions that will set them like fireworks or set them like claim good ocean sea. In the behalf, the children (age of 12-15) do enjoy the challegen in first terraria, so let this game be a blast for the people in regions and countries.

Мелькнула мысль: чем дольше разработчики молчат, тем глубже они пересматривают игру. Видимо нас ждет совсем другой "other world"
GT: Flashed the thought: the longer the developers are silent, the deeper they revise the game. Apparently we are waited by absolutely other "other world"

I hope Otherworld doesn't do the Terraria thing of barring access to the Blocks at the very edge of the Map & instead lets us modify & terraform ALL of the Map, entirely.

I can't express strongly enough how much I HATE being barred from the Map Edge blocks in Terraria Maps & never allowed to do what I want with them... especially in the case of trying to Bomb the Edges of the Map looking for hiding Corruption/Crimson, which includes right under the Ocean where ya could then never be able to 'replug' the hole in the Ocean Bottom ya were forced to make & never again being able to have a natural looking Ocean. & no I don't wanna hear it that I coulda Clementator'd the Map Edge Blocks... blowing stuff up is the funner way to clean up the World of the Infestation. Hence see how Terraria's Map Edge block blocking interferes with Sandbox Play by interfering with options for choosing how ya wanna play.

Please don't repeat this mistake with Otherworld. Us OCD peeps will love you if ya do this.

EA is not a developer, they are a publisher who has bought many developer studios and turned them all into publisher friendly yes men factory's. the difference is like this, a publisher makes money, a studio makes art. The studio is the means by which the publisher makes money, usually the publisher is how a studio is funded. While the following is not literal it makes the point. Developer does 90% of the work, the publisher gets 90% of the money.

EA is not a developer, they are a publisher who has bought many developer studios and turned them all into publisher friendly yes men factory's. the difference is like this, a publisher makes money, a studio makes art. The studio is the means by which the publisher makes money, usually the publisher is how a studio is funded. While the following is not literal it makes the point. Developer does 90% of the work, the publisher gets 90% of the money.
I though Re-Logic is self-publishing and developing. So I don't get what you're saying.

quoted the wrong post steampunker called EA a developer.

how cool is that !!
by:me:naughty:

Attachments

• Screenshot (42).png
    Screenshot (42).png
    440 KB · Views: 622
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom