Game Mechanics Choosing Character Classes at Character Creation

Should we ask red on his profile repeatedly to add this into the game?

• Total voters

Czar

Official Terrarian
I honestly dont like having to go around collecting things for my summoner character. This suggestion is just something i would like to have, so i dont have to be a warrior to get the other classes. Choosing a class would affect nothing other than starter items
------------------------
Now, when you are creating a character, instead of staring out with his/her name, you would choose which class they would have. Warrior, Ranger, Mage, or Summoner.
--------------------------------
Here is what i would like the classes to start out with.
(/------\)
Warrior:
A copper short sword
A copper axe
A copper pickaxe
10 torches
(/------\)
Ranger:
A wooden bow
15 wood arrows
A copper axe
A copper pickaxe
(/------\)
Mage:
Magic wand
2 mana stars
15 torches
7 mana potions
A copper axe
A copper pickaxe
(/------\)
Summoner:
Slime staff
2 mana stars
5 mana potions
20 torches
A copper axe
A copper pickaxe
-----------(/------\)-----------​
Feedback would be nice.

Last edited:
A slime staff for mage? Wouldn't that be better in the summoner starting item?
How about another mana consuming weapon. I would say water bolt but its too op for starting out a game , i think they would need to add a magic weapon that deals like around 7 damage
Other than that its a good idea

No, I am against this.
Terraria has no 'classes' like RPG games have, because its not an RPG.
The 'classes' are the damage types, and they get amplified by certain items, not by a 'class'
If you simply want to chose what item you start with it would make things a lot more easier, which is not fun.
Sorry, but no support.

Thats great
Also the op should state that choosing a class wont affect anything other than starter items.[DOUBLEPOST=1412894000][/DOUBLEPOST]
No, I am against this.
Terraria has no 'classes' like RPG games have, because its not an RPG.
The 'classes' are the damage types, and they get amplified by certain items, not by a 'class'
If you simply want to chose what item you start with it would make things a lot more easier, which is not fun.
Sorry, but no support.
The difference between RPG classes and this suggestion is that in RPG's the class you choose affects stats,appearance and such. This is just affecting starter items

There are no wooden axes. Also, this makes the game impossible because you don't start with a pickaxe. How about this:
1. Switch the Mana Potion values of the mage and summoner.
2. Switch wooden axe to copper axe, and add copper pickaxe.
3. Change the wooden broadsword to a copper shortsword.
4. Summoner should have slime staff.
5. Give Mages the Magic Wand. It's the second one in the thread.

Also you should gain classes as the game goes on:
These are earnable classes:
(/------\)
Destroyer of Eyes (Gain after you defeat Eye of Cthulhu)
Starts off with eye of Cthulhu mask
Iron broadsword
Wooden Armor
2 Heart Crystals
(/------\)
Skeleton of Doom! (Gain after you defeat Skeletron)
Starts off with Skeletron mask
Light's Bane
Golden Armor
3 Heart Crystals
(/------\)
Brainy! (Gain after you defeat brain of Cthulhu)
Starts off with Brain of Cthulhu Mask
Gold broadsword
Iron Armor
2 Heart Crystals
(/------\)
Hardcore! (Gain after you defeat Wall of Flesh)
Starts off with Wall of Flesh mask!
Breaker Blade
Demonite Armor
5 Heart Crystals
(/------\)
Computer-Wise! (Gain after defeating 1 mech boss)
Starts off with (The mech boss you defeat) mask
Excaliber
Hallowed Armor
7 Heart Crystals
(/------\)
Plants of the World! (Gain after defeating Plantera)
Starts off with Plantera Mask
True Night's Edge
Chlorophyte Armor
10 Heart Crystals
(/------\)
Fishy! (Gain after defeating Duke Fishron)
Starts off with Duke Fishron Mask
Terra Blade
Turtle Armor
15 Heart Crystals

Yeah that actually throws it to more of an RPG side
Although... Unlocking stuff for character creation when advancing in the game is a good idea it would just be eye candy though

This definitely needs a few changes: pickaxes need to be added, the mage needs to start with a magic weapon (not a summoning weapon), the summoner should get the slime staff and a mana star so they could actually use it (though this might be too powerful for the beginning of the game), the ranger should get a small supply of arrows, there's no reason for any of them to get torches, and there's no such thing as a wooden axe.

If you fix everything wrong with it though, this could be a good idea;)

I really don't think we should do that, Terraria really doesn't have your typical RPG classes, it is do what you want.

Terraria has no set classes. As a main-ranged you can use melee weapons if needed to do so (or if you just want to). While I do like playing entire playthroughs with a single class in mind, I did also enjoy playing the sort of "jack of all trades" class. As such, I do also enjoy changing my class by time to time or even midway. Having a fixed set of classes does not fix grinding, if anything it kills the freedom the player has to use the set of gears they want.

Terraria has no set classes. As a main-ranged you can use melee weapons if needed to do so (or if you just want to). While I do like playing entire playthroughs with a single class in mind, I did also enjoy playing the sort of "jack of all trades" class. As such, I do also enjoy changing my class by time to time or even midway. Having a fixed set of classes does not fix grinding, if anything it kills the freedom the player has to use the set of gears they want.
Well, no, you could get any items you want, but this is just what your character would start out with

Pass. We were meant to only start off with the bare essentials. Axe, pick, and short stabby weapon. You can select your 'profession' whenever you obtain the gear, otherwise, your class is pioneer.

Well, no, you could get any items you want, but this is just what your character would start out with
All this does is save you about 10 seconds of time for melee and ranged. I think a better solution is to add in earlier magic and summonor stuff. Wood tier stuff.

Back
Top Bottom