Items Clentaminator could use an update, or a buff

I can only really speak on behalf of the money sink, while I do playthroughs where I purify my world I do not dig often. I usually put the time into getting the Rod of Discord then I will purify the world. I did some in-game testing and I genuinely do not see the money sink if you invest time into making the prices cheaper
pair this with easy to obtain buffs that reduce ammo cost and you can easily make that solution last, testing it with 5 platinum resulted in 5555 solution
Yes, I know that it is cheaper if you acquire the discount card, and max out the Steampunker's happiness. My point is those steps shouldn't be necessary to make the Clentaminator viable. The Discount Card is a fairly rare drop, and Pirate Raids do not occur frequently, and Pirate Maps do not drop super frequently as well. I understand that you are trying to be helpful, and I appreciate that. All I'm trying to say is that these steps would be required to a lesser extent if the Clentaminator was buffed, or if the solutions were made cheaper. I don't really know why anybody would complain about this system being made into less of a grind. There's nothing bad about making the Clentaminator a more accessible solution to what is likely a common problem in Worlds.

The most that is done to contain the spread of Crimson or Corruption at the start of the game are the Sunflowers placed on the outskirts. If my options are to either waste multiple hours of my time digging hellevators to prevent the spread of Crimson or Corruption, or to waste tons of money to contain the spread of Crimson or Corruption, then the system is not very well balanced. I should not be forced into choosing whether or not I want to waste my time or my resources in order to keep my world looking nice. Terraforming can be expensive, while not being so expensive that it is completely unviable without having to grind out tons of money.

The theoretical lowest cost of solution is roughly 9 Silver, with maximum happiness, and the Discount Card. Getting the Discount Card typically requires a lot of grinding, so it isn't exactly a consistent or reliable means of reducing the cost of solutions. Even with the theoretical lowest cost, roughly 11 solution per gold coin is still quite expensive.

Following your point about ignoring the spread of Corruption or Crimson, if you are trying to argue that the best way to deal with the system of Biome Spread is to ignore it, then it obviously isn't a good system at all.
How much time are you willing to put into cleansing a biome? If none then you can simply ignore it, I don't see how that's a bad system. The system doesn't force you to cleanse biomes, you can just ignore, I don't see that as a flaw it's just the ability to have variety in playthroughs. With the price at 9 silver you can get as much solution as I shown above. That is a lot of solution, you're absolutely getting your money's worth especially if you use ammo reduction buffs. I don't see 1 platinum coin as a lot of money, you can easily achieve that in a playthrough. Even if you're not using the discount card you're able to obtain 800+ solution that is also perfectly reasonable amount of solution for just the 1 platinum coin.

Past unnecessarily expensive biome cleansing, it is only useful for artificial biome creation, which can already be done by placing infected blocks into an isolated biome.
Not just creating artificial biomes, the ability to swap between biomes is immensely useful especially since it can do it through walls. I also like using the clentaminator to locate the jungle temple as it is very good for lighting up the map.

Yes, I know that it is cheaper if you acquire the discount card, and max out the Steampunker's happiness. My point is those steps shouldn't be necessary to make the Clentaminator viable.
I still think it is completely fine, if you don't wanna put in the effort of moving some NPCs around sure. You can still get 600+ solution from a single platinum coin. I think it's absolutely fair that if you wanna put time into something then you should be rewarded for a cheaper price/more solution.

I don't really know why anybody would complain about this system being made into less of a grind. There's nothing bad about making the Clentaminator a more accessible solution to what is likely a common problem in Worlds.
It's mainly because I don't think it needs a change, making the clentaminator less grindy doesn't really solve the issue that I've seen with it in this thread. If you want to "buff" the clentaminator then I would suggest maybe a potion that makes you ethereal for a short period to pass through blocks, I personally didn't have a huge trouble with clentaminating spaces since I had a Rod of Discord. If you have a less rng dependent RoD then people could see less of those infamous tunnels that people complain about

I really don't understand how you telling me that I should grind out money in order to make the Clentaminator useful proves that the Clentaminator isn't an unnecessarily massive money sink, but whatever. I already spend enough time grinding things such as the Biome Keys, snd Souls, and yes, even money. You seem to think that my point that using the Clentaminator is obscenely expensive is invalid because YOU are willing to waste multiple hours grinding out bosses for money. The fact that "Terraforming is supposed to be expensive" is a stupid argument, because it is so insanely expensive that compared to other solutions, such as destroying infected parts of my world, using the Clentaminator is nowhere near as effective. You don't seem to understand that already with the 2 Platinum Coin price for the Clentaminator, just about any other possible method of halting the Crimson or Corruption is more cost-effective. It is quite literally more cost-effective for me to take a Missile Launcher and create 4000+ Mini Nukes and destroy any part of my world that has Crimson or Corruption in it. The fact that "Terraforming is expensive" doesn't make it a good system, instead it makes a completely unviable system when compared to any other method of dealing with Crimson or Corruption. Saying that I should farm out money to make the Clentaminator effective doesn't do anything but prove my point that the Clentaminator is a money sink.
because YOU are willing to waste multiple hours grinding out bosses for money.
Ha-ha, multiple hours? Are you serious?
A few MINUTES, and that's only if you haven't had piles of coins before, which is not uncommon in Terraria.

I'm not arguing that you have to grind long and hard like farming something like Rod of Discord, I'm arguing that you have to spend literally 5 minutes to earn enough money to keep the world clean enough for the entire playthrough.
Do you think all items should cost 10 copper coins each?

Last edited:
because YOU are willing to waste multiple hours grinding out bosses for money.
Ha-ha, multiple hours? Are you serious?
A few MINUTES, and that's only if you haven't had piles of coins before, which is not uncommon in Terraria.

I'm not arguing that you have to grind long and hard like farming something like Rod of Discord, I'm arguing that you have to spend literally 5 minutes to earn enough money to keep the world clean enough for the entire playthrough.
Do you think all items should cost 10 copper coins each?
You obviously don't understand my side of the argument, and wish to act as though all of my points are invalid. There is no further point in discussing this with one another. Feel free to act as though you have won the argument, though. Obviously you're just SO much better at the game than I am, and you can snap your fingers and conjure up as many platinum coins as you need. You seem very close minded, and don't seem to care about the game being more accessible to people who don't have as much time to waste on the game as yourself. Funny how all of my points are invalid to you, but the moment I make a statement against one of your points you be a baby about it, and act as though I'm ruining the game by requesting that something has its price lowered by a slight amount.

Last edited:
Honestly I agree with others here. It's really not as bad as you're making it seem. We've given you suggestions, you choose not to use them, that's not our, or the games fault.

This is a grindy game, sometimes you have to do the unthinkable, grind.

Honestly I agree with others here. It's really not as bad as you're making it seem. We've given you suggestions, you choose not to use them, that's not our, or the games fault.

This is a grindy game, sometimes you have to do the unthinkable, grind.
Saying that something should be left unchanged because "the game is grindy" is a pointless argument. There is quite literally nothing wrong or bad about making an, as you said already grindy game less grindy. Also yes, other suggestions have been made, but each of them only highlight the problem with the Clentaminator, which is the sheer amount of grinding required to make the item useful. The grinding required for the Clentaminator isn't a good kind of grind, either. It adds nothing but an extra layer of time-wasting to an already time consuming process. Keeping the game that way seems very pointless.

Also, the aftermath of purifications is sometimes.. painful to look at.
Honestly, I think the biggest problem is having to dig holes to deal with the biomes. I would like it much better if you could access all of the biome blocks from natural caves. I do realize, as @Heath04🌳 pointed out, that you can use the RoD. However, there are still places where you have to dig holes.

You obviously don't understand my side of the argument, and wish to act as though all of my points are invalid. There is no further point in discussing this with one another. Feel free to act as though you have won the argument, though. Obviously you're just SO much better at the game than I am, and you can snap your fingers and conjure up as many platinum coins as you need. You seem very close minded, and don't seem to care about the game being more accessible to people who don't have as much time to waste on the game as yourself. Funny how all of my points are invalid to you, but the moment I make a statement against one of your points you be a baby about it, and act as though I'm ruining the game by requesting that something has its price lowered by a slight amount.
Ha-Ha. You think I've never gone through the game?
I've gone through Terraria many times and I have NEVER had a money problem, at least so big that I couldn't afford a Clentaminator.
You can get 40+ gold coins for a single BoC/EoW with almost instant hardmode kills and no need to craft a summon item until all hearts/spheres are destroyed, and after that you can kill the Queen Bee, who provides almost the same amount of money and whose summon item is extremely easy to obtain. It only takes three platinum coins to ensure the world is sufficiently clean throughout the playthrough, which takes no more than five minutes to obtain. That said, the methods I've written about are by no means the best in hardmode, and as new stages come along there are new and effective ways to earn more money.

I've gone through Terraria many times and I have NEVER had a money problem, at least so big that I couldn't afford a Clentaminator.
You can get 40+ gold coins for a single BoC/EoW with almost instant hardmode kills and no need to craft a summon item until all hearts/spheres are destroyed, and after that you can kill the Queen Bee, who provides almost the same amount of money and whose summon item is extremely easy to obtain. It only takes three platinum coins to ensure the world is sufficiently clean throughout the playthrough, which takes no more than five minutes to obtain. That said, the methods I've written about are by no means the best in hardmode, and as new stages come along there are new and effective ways to earn more money.
Thanks for once again proving you do not understand the point of this thread, or what I am trying to say. I'm going to actually stop talking now, unless you have an even worse response later on. Also, please stop putting words in my mouth. Please and thank you! Also, if we're bragging about our achievements here, then I've beaten the Zenith Seed. :p

Thanks for once again proving you do not understand the point of this thread, or what I am trying to say. I'm going to actually stop talking now, unless you have an even worse response later on. Also, please stop putting words in my mouth. Please and thank you! Also, if we're bragging about our achievements here, then I've beaten the Zenith Seed. :p
Answer me with facts, answer me point by point.
I say facts, you just keep saying the same thing.

Answer me with facts, answer me point by point.
I say facts, you just keep saying the same thing.
The only fact that you have presented me with is that if I want to use the Clentaminator effectively then I should grind out money, which is one of the exact problems mentioned in my original post. That doesn't particularly mean anything towards the argument. Other people have presented me with options, which to their credit are correct. None of yours have gone past putting words in my mouth or telling me to grind out for money. Nothing is gained from having the solutions be expensive, other than pointless grinding which is simply a huge waste of time. Also, yes you keep brushing off the grinding as some sort of necessary gameplay element, when to me, the grind is the problem. What more do you want me to say?

Lets tone it down a little bit, the disucssion is getting a little heated and I think the thread is starting to get sidetracked. I think its best if we stop talking about "Money is easy to get, this isn't a problem".

Yes there are ways to make an endless amount of coins effortlessly, with a little preperation. You are correct, but what OP is suggesting is that there be an option for a more... organic process - To reduce the grind for a more casual approach.

It is intentionally expensive, but suggestions and criticisms are welcome so long as they are respectful.

The only fact that you have presented me with is that if I want to use the Clentaminator effectively then I should grind out money, which is one of the exact problems mentioned in my original post. That doesn't particularly mean anything towards the argument. Other people have presented me with options, which to their credit are correct. None of yours have gone past putting words in my mouth or telling me to grind out for money. Nothing is gained from having the solutions be expensive, other than pointless grinding which is simply a huge waste of time. Also, yes you keep brushing off the grinding as some sort of necessary gameplay element, when to me, the grind is the problem. What more do you want me to say?
I've said all in past posts.

I don't like grind myself, but it's one thing when it's really long and torturous, but it's another thing when it's, if present, it's in a very small amount.

Okay, better just end it here.

Honestly I agree with others here. It's really not as bad as you're making it seem.
The problem is, it is as bad.

Unlike other in-game grinds, this particular one is a really stupid IRL Perception check.
You either know exact cleansing ranges AND are savvy enough with in-game coordinates to utilize that knowledge AND capable of opening 100% Surface+below map AND capable of spotting that goldern single tile on minimap (because patrolling whole Large world is... let's say, for people with too much free time) which is about to ruin everything - or you're not.

From my point of view, the only solution under current set of circumstances is:
1. Right from the spawn grab infamous Cacti Armor + Sword.
2. Grab some Sunflowers along the way. I believe, 8 is a bare minimum (2 per evil biome spot, up to 2 evil biome spots, each biome might get splitted by something or have a cave you'd like to protect or have other types of potential spreading spots).
3. Nosedive into nearest hole and hope that you'll get both enough Iron for Minecart tracks (rough estimation for Large world: well over 16k Tracks, woohoo!) and enough Bestiary completion to get Molecart.
4. Reveal WHOLE Surface, look for lowestmost surface spot (including bottoms of lakes but excluding Crimson/Corruption chasms). Place Sunflowers on the way to and fro.
5. Start making a... how do you call it in English... sanitized zone? Two rows of Minecart tracks slightly below lowestmost spot of Surface, Molecart digs 4 tiles high tunnel so 8 tiles total. Pray that you aint getting extremely bad Deserts which might need you to dig thousands of sand blocks on the way.
6. Only after you've finished securing your Surface you can actually start playing the game as it meaned to be played.
7. Eventually, Dryad would arrive. Waste surplus cash on cleansing powder - and 100% clean the surface + finish sanitized zone in already-present evil biomes.
8. HAAARDCOOOOOOORE HARDMODE!
9. Contain with extra Sunflowers or purge with powders surface Good & Evil biomes as needed ASAP.
10. Continue playing as it was meaned to be played, knowing that you won't have to drop the world you've invested so much into just because of some bad game mechanics which punishes the player when it's too darn late to fix anything.

One step left or right from this sequence - and you either end up with too much surface junk to purge (while being under pressure already because pirates and the like don't ask for consent, and biomes are spreading) or (if you DO have too much free time to waste) are eventually forced to participate in unfun "spot the spot" minigame... worldwide.

I'm not asking to remove the mechanics completely.
Since it backfires in a long run (and is very easy to miss a point of no return unless you're preparing for it from Day 0) and as it's really pacebreaking to deal with its consequences,
Give Us Convenient Tool To Deal With It Cthulhu Dammit !!

Unlike other in-game grinds, this particular one is a really stupid IRL Perception check.
You either know exact cleansing ranges AND are savvy enough with in-game coordinates to utilize that knowledge AND capable of opening 100% Surface+below map AND capable of spotting that goldern single tile on minimap (because patrolling whole Large world is... let's say, for people with too much free time) which is about to ruin everything - or you're not.

2. Grab some Sunflowers along the way. I believe, 8 is a bare minimum (2 per evil biome spot, up to 2 evil biome spots, each biome might get splitted by something or have a cave you'd like to protect or have other types of potential spreading spots).
3. Nosedive into nearest hole and hope that you'll get both enough Iron for Minecart tracks (rough estimation for Large world: well over 16k Tracks, woohoo!) and enough Bestiary completion to get Molecart.
4. Reveal WHOLE Surface, look for lowestmost surface spot (including bottoms of lakes but excluding Crimson/Corruption chasms). Place Sunflowers on the way to and fro.
5. Start making a... how do you call it in English... sanitized zone? Two rows of Minecart tracks slightly below lowestmost spot of Surface, Molecart digs 4 tiles high tunnel so 8 tiles total. Pray that you aint getting extremely bad Deserts which might need you to dig thousands of sand blocks on the way.
6. Only after you've finished securing your Surface you can actually start playing the game as it meaned to be played.
7. Eventually, Dryad would arrive. Waste surplus cash on cleansing powder - and 100% clean the surface + finish sanitized zone in already-present evil biomes.
9. Contain with extra Sunflowers or purge with powders surface Good & Evil biomes as needed ASAP.
10. Continue playing as it was meaned to be played, knowing that you won't have to drop the world you've invested so much into just because of some bad game mechanics which punishes the player when it's too darn late to fix anything.

One step left or right from this sequence - and you either end up with too much surface junk to purge (while being under pressure already because pirates and the like don't ask for consent, and biomes are spreading) or (if you DO have too much free time to waste) are eventually forced to participate in unfun "spot the spot" minigame... worldwide.

Since it backfires in a long run (and is very easy to miss a point of no return unless you're preparing for it from Day 0) and as it's really pacebreaking to deal with its consequences,
  1. Let it go ham until hardmode.
  2. Obtain Clentaminator and Solution
  3. Create hellivators on each side of world evils.
  4. Walk into the world evil until the first hellivator is just offscreen.
  5. Dig another hellivator.
  6. Repeat #4 until you're om the other side of the world evil.
  7. Flap your wings until you run out of flight time, spray the Solution while you glide down. Do it once on the left and once on the right of each hellivator.
  8. Done.
Takes me about an hour or so to do? Maybe? Maybe 2 hours or so. It's worked 10/10 times for me, it's easy, relatively quick, and borderline garunteed, so I'm not sure why others can't use this tactic.

You're vastly over complicating this process and I think the main issue with corruption spread is the HUGE amount of misinformation on how spread/how to deal with it. Over the years you'll hear so many different times on what you should do, how you should contain spread, the width of the hellavators, and so much more. It really isn't all that complicated. How I would go about this process is:

Pre-Hardmode - You spawn into the world and maybe block some of the evil with sunflowers or just use blocks of wood, they both work the same. If I'm trynna stop spread on grass then I just place down 3 blocks of wood and that prevents it. If you wish to stop spread entirely then you would dig hellavators that are 3 tiles wide on the biomes that you wish to stay safe. Say you want your jungle to stay safe, I will put 2 hellavators on the edge of the surface jungle and dig down to hell, 3 tiles wide, no less no more. With these hellavators, add ropes to the evil side (if it's the jungle then add rope to both sides) to prevent thorn growth and spreading to the other side of the shaft, unless it is the jungle then you only need these ropes to go down to the underground layer. I personally only target the jungle and oceans, everything else I couldn't really care about but if you want you can do so for you base as well. You do not need to cleanse at this stage, that would be really silly since when you enter hardmode it will be corrupted again anyway. Just ignore it, you've prevented spread and it's fine.

Hardmode - Now that hardmode has begun and the V has been placed what I would suggest is
A. If you haven't made hellavators (you don't need to) just craft holy water, it's really easy to make and you can make it a soon as you get into hardmode. Throw the holy water down on both sides of the jungle/on the beach of the ocean (don't really need it on both sides of the ocean sometimes since the Dungeon can act as a natural barrier for that ocean). You've now protected those and made them safe.
B. If you have made hellavators then there's a chance that the crimson/corruption has hit your jungle, as of 1.4.4 this is no longer a big deal. If Hallowed has hit your jungle then your jungle is unaffected you just won't have a surface hallowed (or a very small surface hallowed) which can just be made by purchasing hallowed seeds from the Dryad and making it or making holy water.

The reason why you don't really care about the other biomes is because you want your desert evil/hallowed in hardmode, you don't get any benefit of a pure desert and you get light/dark shards out of a evil/hallowed desert. If you made your base in the desert or have a Pylon, it can be kind of frustrating but you can use sunflowers to make the pylon work and add some base defense. For the snow biome, only ice can be corrupted so that makes it really easy to clear the spread, especially on the surface snow biome.

After you've defeated a mechanical boss you can easily just go into that section that you've cleared from everything else and clear out that section. Once you've cleared everything out in that area then you don't need to worry about it ever again. If you're going for 100% purification, this isn't going to be an easy task nor should it be easy. It's a hard achievement for a reason. Please stop cleansing with purification powder, that just ISN'T what you're supposed to use that for and you're making the game harder for yourself for no reason.

I'm mildly amused by the fact how many people would like to pretend to be dumbfounded (or dumbfolded? What's the proper English word for that?) just to justify unnecessary tedium they accidentally backed.
Like I'm begging to remove evil biomes completely or something.
I've witnessed this level of miscommunication only once - and I've worked at Wargaming for 5.5 years, I've seen really weird stuff...
Please stop cleansing with purification powder, that just ISN'T what you're supposed to use that for and you're making the game harder for yourself for no reason.
Reading skill check failure too. The powder have very peculiar spot in the sequence I've described. Maybe instructions that detailed are still unclear. May-be I have to speak slow-er. Ve-ry-slow.

I have no intent to write a more detailed response since I don't see what in my text caused so much confusion - and noone bothered to ask for clarifications prior to going all-out.

Note to moderation team, just in case: how am I expected to react in a situation where the theme gets derailed by people with "I don't need Quality of Life here so noone should have it" attitude?

Last edited:
I support the idea of reducing costs for solutions for clentaminator, but with the condition that Moon Lord has been defeated. This is analogous to slowing down the spread if you beat Plantera.

Reading skill check failure too. The powder have very peculiar spot in the sequence I've described. Maybe instructions that detailed are still unclear. May-be I have to speak slow-er. Ve-ry-slow.

I have no intent to write a more detailed response since I don't see what in my text caused so much confusion - and noone bothered to ask for clarifications prior to going all-out.
You've stated that you should use powders to cleanse, I simply stated that isn't a good idea since powders are not good for cleansing corruption. While what you state is very much exaggerated, it still very clearly states that you should use powders.

where the theme gets derailed by people with "I don't need Quality of Life here so noone should have it" attitude?
If you've read of my posts here you can see they're all on theme and does not follow that attitude. What I would suggest is just restate yourself like I'm doing, preferably in a polite manner, and address what I got wrong about your statement.

Back
Top Bottom