Other Community Suggestion Thread: A Compilation of Suggestions

Lynxical

Plantera
This is going to be a FULL COMPILATION OF SUGGESTIONS from a server I'm in, jotting down ideas from other people as well as myself, feel free to add your own! This is so we can have a cohesive thread of suggestions

Armor:
  • Ninja armor is just bad, for being from King Slime it does nothing and is easily outclassed.
  • Ninja armor is stuck in an awkward area, it's supposed to be early game, but the set bonus is so bad you can swap out the chestplate for a Gi while retaining the same defense and better stats. Increase the defense of every piece by 1, this gives it a total defense of 12, instead of 9, increase the crit chance on each piece from 3% to 4%, for a total of 12% crit, and replace the set bonus with a weaker version of the Shadow armor set bonus (50%, instead of 75%), or a weak dash. Why? Because you have to actively go out of your way to get this armor. Crystal Assassin is a VERY good armor because while it doesn't have the best stats, it's global damage and houses a dash, which is pretty good. You have to kill King Slime 3 times (2 times on Expert) MINIMUM for this armor, it SHOULD be the strongest for its tier.
  • Fossil armor is incredibly weak, it's the only armor you're able to get for Ranger until Necro.
  • Instead of increasing the damage of the chestplate from 5% to 10%, make the chestplate give a Flat 1 Ranged Damage. This WILL NOT AFFECT AMMO DAMAGE, meaning the damage ends up being a 5%~ damage increase for most Ranged Weapons at this stage. This is because if we take a Gold Bow, which does 11 damage, and Wooden Arrows, which does 5 damage, we end up at 16 damage, add +1 and we get 17 damage, which is about a 7% increase in damage. I'd also increase the crit of each piece from 4%->5%, for 10% crit total, just to help it be a stepping stone into Necro armor for longer, as it IS from the Underground Desert. Or you could just make a new armor before Necro but that's lame.
  • Crimson armor is weird, on paper, it seems good, but in reality, it takes over 15 seconds to start beating a Band of Regeneration. It is utterly outclassed by everything at this stage.
  • The easiest buff here is to quadruple the health regen, which makes it start beating a Band of Regen much earlier, at around 5 seconds, but this mechanic is frustrating because it relies on not getting hit. Instead, I'd replace it with 1.5hp/s and 10% increased maximum health. The reason I suggest this is because Shadow armor provides 15% crit, while Crimson only gives 9% damage. So I thought opting more into the defensive aspect would be fitting for it. Band of Regen is 1hp/s, Regen Potion is 2hp/s, 1.5hp/s and 10% health (40 extra health at 400 health) would be reasonable at this stage since you're giving up damage, movement speed, etc. from other armors available at the same stage.
  • Pre-Hardmode Ore armor is... weird, the progression for the Ore armor is just janky and bad.
  • Copper: 6 defense
  • Tin: 7 defense
  • Iron: 9 defense
  • Lead: 11 defense
  • Silver: 13 defense
  • Tungsten: 15 defense
  • Gold: 16 defense
  • Platinum: 20 defense
  • As we can see, the ore progression of defense makes very little sense, with Copper barely being better than some wood armor. My change would simply be shifting some values around, making it so every tier gains EXACTLY 3 defense, you could also make earlier armors like the Copper-Iron tier is cheaper than the Silver-Gold tier
  • Copper: 6 defense->10 defense
  • Tin: 7 defense->11 defense
  • Iron: 9 defense->13 defense
  • Lead: 11 defense->14 defense
  • Silver: 13 defense->16 defense
  • Tungsten: 15 defense->17 defense
  • Gold: 16 defense->19 defense
  • Platinum: 20 defense, unchanged
Weapons:
    • Enchanted Sword: Reduce Beam Timer from 45->40, gains a small aura (enough to let it hit behind)
    • Terragrim: Gains 10 Armor Penetration, redo the slash animation to be much larger, can be shimmered from Enchanted Sword
    • Toxikarp: Inflicts Venom over Poison, damage increased from 43->50
    • Sky Fracture/Crystal Serpent: Increase the velocity by 50%-100%
    • Gladius: Immunity frames changed from Static->Local
  • Enchanted Sword is pretty mid, especially since there are a lot more weapons that are not only more common but simply better.
  • Terragrim is bad, it has terrible range, and amazing DPS, but unsafe to the point where you can't use it effectively without getting hurt, it needs a shimmer craft, and it needs to be larger.
  • Toxikarp is bad, it's a single-target weapon where the bubbles move upward, making dealing with enemies below or even to the side of you frustrating. There are just better options to choose from.
  • Sky Fracture and Crystal Serpent suffer the same fate of pathetic velocity, it straight up needs to be easier to aim these weapons.
  • Gladius needs Local Immunity to not screw itself over.
Accessories:
  • Hero Shield/Frozen Shield: Fix the rarity from Pink to Yellow (please?)
  • Upgrade for Magma Stone during Hardmode, some sort of Power Glove+Magma Stone which can be turned into Fire Gauntlet when you combine it with an Avenger Emblem. Could be called "Hellfire Glove" or something
Misc:
Shimmer Permanent Upgrades

• Shimmer Upgrades are weird, most of them are bad even for their rarity... here are a few changes I'd do.
    • Galaxy Pearl: .03->.05 luck
    • Vital Crystal: Health Regen replaced with Respawning at Max HP
    • Gummy Worm: 3 Fishing Power->5 Fishing Power
    • Arcane Crystal: 5% Mana Regen->10% Mana Regen
  • It's easier to explain them all at once instead of in-depth, first, Galaxy Pearl, insanely rare, doesn't even give the full amount of luck that a Horseshoe gives, this brings it up to a Horseshoe. Vital Crystal, as is, damage you take in 6 seconds is restored in 5 seconds, not great. Bumping it up to 30% makes it do the same in about 4 seconds instead, which is more noticeable and still very much so not overpowered. Gummy Worm is the same story as Galaxy Pearl, incredibly rare, and doesn't even give 5 fishing power. Arcane Crystal gives negligible mana regeneration to the point where it's not noticeable, even doubling it doesn't impact it that much.

Last edited:
Increase Ancient Horn drop rate.

Fix Basilisk double jump not working when the player has other double jumps.

Nerf Golf Cart and Basilisk speed and get rid of Basilisks knockback immunity. These mounts are simply ridiculous. 41 mph speed, high jump height, damage upon going at high speed at an enemy, high acceleration, Basilisk has a double jump and knockback immunity. This is all with 0 accessory slot investment. You can use these mounts with 5/6/7 offensive or defensive accessories and be a god.

Shimmer Permanent Upgrades

• Shimmer Upgrades are weird, most of them are bad even for their rarity... here are a few changes I'd do.
    • Galaxy Pearl: .03->.05 luck
    • Vital Crystal: 20% increased base life regen->30% (6 seconds=4 seconds?)
    • Gummy Worm: 3 Fishing Power->5 Fishing Power
    • Arcane Crystal: 5% Mana Regen->10% Mana Regen
  • It's easier to explain them all at once instead of in-depth, first, Galaxy Pearl, insanely rare, doesn't even give the full amount of luck that a Horseshoe gives, this brings it up to a Horseshoe. Vital Crystal, as is, damage you take in 6 seconds is restored in 5 seconds, not great. Bumping it up to 30% makes it do the same in about 4 seconds instead, which is more noticeable and still very much so not overpowered. Gummy Worm is the same story as Galaxy Pearl, incredibly rare, and doesn't even give 5 fishing power. Arcane Crystal gives negligible mana regeneration to the point where it's not noticeable, even doubling it doesn't impact it that much.
I agree with buffing the Galaxy Pearl and Gummy Worm due to their rarity, but the Vital Crystal and Arcane Crystal are fine how they are. Their boosts are small but they stack with all the other items and accessories that have been added over the years. It’s very easy to power creep with a bunch of similar small boosts.

I think that every world should have at least one Enchanted Sword Shrine. That's how it used to be, and not everyone wants to fish a bunch for an Enchanted Sword. Also, they're beautiful and add to the world.

EDIT: I also think that Gladius could use a buff. Its DPS is pretty low, even for its tier.

Last edited:
I think that every world should have at least one Enchanted Sword Shrine. That's how it used to be, and not everyone wants to fish a bunch for an Enchanted Sword. Also, they're beautiful and add to the world.

EDIT: I also think that Gladius could use a buff. Its DPS is pretty low, even for its tier.
That's a good one, I think its issue is it uses Static Immunity over Local Immunity

Increase Ancient Horn drop rate.

Fix Basilisk double jump not working when the player has other double jumps.

Nerf Golf Cart and Basilisk speed and get rid of Basilisks knockback immunity. These mounts are simply ridiculous. 41 mph speed, high jump height, damage upon going at high speed at an enemy, high acceleration, Basilisk has a double jump and knockback immunity. This is all with 0 accessory slot investment. You can use these mounts with 5/6/7 offensive or defensive accessories and be a god.
Yeah, a 1/50 drop chance is quite low; a 1/30 drop chance would be more fair, especially considering how hellish the HM Underground Desert is. I also think that the nerfs Hoovy is proposing would more than justify said drop rate increase.

For suggestions like these, I always fall back on the same question(s), so I guess I'll ask you as well [mostly in reference to the pre-Hardmode Armor sets].

Why?

What content do you believe exists~ this early-on to suggest such elaborate set bonuses, stats or features~ necessary? EoC? Blood Moon? Goblin Army? EoW? BoC? I'd certainly give you Skeletron or Enraged Queen Bee, but by the time you reach either of them, you'll have items like Spiky Ball, Vampire Frogs, Worm Scarf, Brain of Confusion, Shield of Cthulhu and Explosive Trap. I really don't see a point to any of these buffs... 🤔 📖

I dunno about you, but I sure don't feel the need to make full sets of armour until hardmode, except molten but that's just because I like the way it looks with my texture packs. Having actually interesting set bonuses a la Shadow Armour would change that and make the game more interesting earlier on.

For suggestions like these, I always fall back on the same question(s), so I guess I'll ask you as well [mostly in reference to the pre-Hardmode Armor sets].

Why?

What content do you believe exists~ this early-on to suggest such elaborate set bonuses, stats or features~ necessary? EoC? Blood Moon? Goblin Army? EoW? BoC? I'd certainly give you Skeletron or Enraged Queen Bee, but by the time you reach either of them, you'll have items like Spiky Ball, Vampire Frogs, Worm Scarf, Brain of Confusion, Shield of Cthulhu and Explosive Trap. I really don't see a point to any of these buffs... 🤔 📖
To encourage diversity/going out of your way to get rare items. If the rare item is weaker than a more common item, what's the point of the rare item? The rare item should have some reward to encourage getting the item. Most of the items I suggested to get a buff are generally rare, uncommon items without the reward for being rare.

Could make Hero Shield crafted from Cobalt Shield + Flesh Knuckles instead of Paladin's Shield. It would then lose the effects of Paladin's Shield but would be available way earlier.

As for Ankh Shield, make it give immunity to almost all debuffs in the game except for the obvious ones like Potion Sickness, Mana Sickness and Moon Bite etc. Could also make it available Pre-Hardmode by moving its ingredients to Pre-Hardmode enemies.

Make Hand Warmer be dropped by Snow biome enemies. Add it to Ankh Charm recipe.

I enjoy long crafting trees. It's fun to grind, explore and collect items IMO.

To encourage diversity/going out of your way to get rare items. If the rare item is weaker than a more common item, what's the point of the rare item? The rare item should have some reward to encourage getting the item. Most of the items I suggested to get a buff are generally rare, uncommon items without the reward for being rare.
...but we already have diversity as of 1.4.4.9, haven't you noticed?! 🤔 📖

There are still debates going around about Ruby Staff vs. Thunder Zapper, Bee Gear vs Obsidian Set-up, Night's Edge vs. Trimarang, Brain of Confusion vs. Worm Scarf, and "starter-packs" similar to Flinx Gear; defeating Skeletron, Queen Bee or Deerclops first? These types of conversations are already happening, and with the additions of upgraded Phaseblades and Magic Yoyos, likely even more-so? What kind of non-existing diversity are you going for exactly~ that we don't already have as of 1.4.4.9?

wha about optic/deadly sphere/tiki/pirate staff. they all really weak.(ehem out classes by blade staff / sanguine staff)

and all golem drop weapons are weak

All spears too especially gungnir(NO one uses it. They just make excalibur)

...but we already have diversity as of 1.4.4.9, haven't you noticed?! 🤔 📖

There are still debates going around about Ruby Staff vs. Thunder Zapper, Bee Gear vs Obsidian Set-up, Night's Edge vs. Trimarang, Brain of Confusion vs. Worm Scarf, and "starter-packs" similar to Flinx Gear; defeating Skeletron, Queen Bee or Deerclops first? These types of conversations are already happening, and with the additions of upgraded Phaseblades and Magic Yoyos, likely even more-so? What kind of non-existing diversity are you going for exactly~ that we don't already have as of 1.4.4.9?
Early-game Melee: Enchanted Sword is strictly worse than Starfury, while also being far more common. Terragrim is incredibly rare and small, which makes it terrible for fending off enemies.
Early Game armor: Ninja armor is outclassed by everything at this stage. Gi can be paired with Ninja armor for a combo that only loses 10% movement speed in total.
Crimson armor: Straight up worse than everything at this stage. Shadow is better in every way possible and competes with class armor.
Fossil armor: Terrible stepping stone armor into Necro or even Shadow/Crimson(in a perfect world), rarely ever used if you know how negligible the bonuses end up being.

Queen Bee, Skeletron, and Deerclops are already in the same tier as each other, by the way.
Night's Edge vs. Trimarang
I'm... sorry? Night's Edge is strictly better.
Night's Edge: 40(60/24)1.04=104 DPS
Gonna add this right here, Night's Edge SAYS it has 25 use time on the Wiki, but in reality, it has a use time of 24 due to Terraria's weird rounding for swords.​
Trimarang: 21(60/20)1.04=66 DPS (rounded up from 65.52)

Not to mention NE has a giant aura to protect you. The others are pretty valid, except Ruby Staff and Tunder Zapper. One is for Multi-Target, and the other is for Single Target.

wha about optic/deadly sphere/tiki/pirate staff. they all really weak.(ehem out classes by blade staff / sanguine staff)

and all golem drop weapons are weak

All spears too especially gungnir(NO one uses it. They just make excalibur)
While you're right about Tikis and Pirates being heavily outclassed, you couldn't be farther from the truth for Optic and Deadly Sphere, and Sanguine isn't that great for pure Summoner, either.
I'm assuming you haven't played 1.4.4? Because in that update, Optic and Deadly Spheres were buffed significantly, while Sanguine and Blade were nerfed, Sanguine incidentally due to a bug fix, but still a nerf.

For comparisons of each Summon at their base value, in the current version, which again I'm assuming you haven't played:
Sanguine Staff: 1.1 HPS, 35 Variable Damage, 38.5 DPS, Local Frames (Notes: More likely to hit single targets closer to you, than pierce through multiple targets.)
Pirate Staff: 2 HPS, 40 Variable Damage, 80 DPS, Local Frames (Notes: Practically unable to hit anything in the air, or if you're in the air. Near unuseable despite the DPS.)
Blade Staff: 4.25 HPS, 6 Variable Damage, 0-12.5 Piercing Damage, 25.5-78.6 DPS, Local Frames (Notes: 25% Less Tag Damage, but excellent at targeting and piercing.)
MiniSpaz: 1.75 HPS, 24 Variable Damage, 42 DPS, Static Frames / MiniRet: 1.5 HPS, 27.6 Variable Damage, 41.4 DPS, NoPierce, / Combined Total: 3.25 HPS, 83.4 DPS
(Notes: Use in open areas for their AI to take full effect, but you're still unlikely to mess up their AI unless you have a lot of weirdly placed blocks.)
Pygmy Staff: 1.5 HPS, 40 Variable Damage, 30 Static Damage, 60 + 30 DPS, NoPierce (Notes: Shoots 2 times a sec, but seemingly on purpose?, misses 25% of the time, and breaks in air.)
Deadly Sphere Staff: 2 HPS, 40 Variable Damage, 80 DPS, Local Frames (Notes: Solid targetting, and can technically hit more times if on top of an enemy.)

HPS, stands for Hits Per Second if that wasn't clear.

Last edited:
You still haven't answered my question though, what kind of diversity are you looking for exactly~ that doesn't already exist as of 1.4.4.9? "Choice of Weapon and Armor are subsidized by Accessories [x.Balloons, Frog Gear, Mounts], these suggestions don't add anything new necessarily. What new feature are you looking to see come of these suggested changes to pre-Hardmode?

Early-game Melee: Enchanted Sword is strictly worse than Starfury, while also being far more common. Terragrim is incredibly rare and small, which makes it terrible for fending off enemies.
The Castlevania Swords have always been bad, I'll give you that, but the other comparisons you're drawing seem like a reach. It's kinda odd that you consider how much coverage a sword has for the Player later on, but it's not applied to Enchanted Sword here.

Early Game armor: Ninja armor is outclassed by everything at this stage. Gi can be paired with Ninja armor for a combo that only loses 10% movement speed in total.
...but King Slims is also, technically the "first Boss" [what stage of the game are you talking about, the very beginning?]. I'm not sure exactly what you'd expect here?

Crimson armor: Straight up worse than everything at this stage. Shadow is better in every way possible and competes with class armor.
The ability to heal has and always will be "cumulative" [this is a bad assessment of Crimson Armor], I'm starting to get the sense that you're another type of Player that doesn't value utility...

Fossil armor: Terrible stepping stone armor into Necro or even Shadow/Crimson(in a perfect world), rarely ever used if you know how negligible the bonuses end up being.
I'll give you this one too, but honestly, guns don't really need any help pre-Harmode. You're better off just running Melee Armor with a gun or Summoner Gear with a gun. Guns are kinda OP in this game.

Queen Bee, Skeletron, and Deerclops are already in the same tier as each other, by the way.
"Thanks for the info..." 😏 📖

I'm... sorry? Night's Edge is strictly better.
Night's Edge: 40(60/24)1.04=104 DPS
Gonna add this right here, Night's Edge SAYS it has 25 use time on the Wiki, but in reality, it has a use time of 24 due to Terraria's weird rounding for swords.​
Trimarang: 21(60/20)1.04=66 DPS (rounded up from 65.52)
This is your opinion~ and I don't think you're wrong here, but that's exactly what I'm interpreting~ that you're asking for with your suggestions, or am I still missing something?

Not to mention NE has a giant aura to protect you. The others are pretty valid, except Ruby Staff and Tunder Zapper. One is for Multi-Target, and the other is for Single Target.
...exactly... so again, what are we lacking exactly, that you'd like to see in the game with your suggestions?

The ability to heal has and always will be "cumulative" [this is a bad assessment of Crimson Armor], I'm starting to get the sense that you're another type of Player that doesn't value utility...
Crimson armour's set bonus takes all your armour slots and gives you about as much regeneration as a band of regen, on average. The more you get hit, the more you move, the less it helps you, to the point where it is in fact essentially worthless.
This is your opinion~ and I don't think you're wrong here, but that's exactly what I'm interpreting~ that you're asking for with your suggestions, or am I still missing something?
since when were hard numbers opinions? Night's Edge deals twice as much damage per target and on average hits over twice as many targets as Trimerang, and that's being generous to Trimerang. In addition, Night's Edge hardly even has to be aimed, simply being a large circle around the player; compare this to trimerang's small linear attack that tries its best to only hit one thing. This was never up for debate: Night's Edge is objectively far superior to Trimerang. Hell, Trimerang doesn't even necessarily outclass its own component parts, but I digress.

You still haven't answered my question though, what kind of diversity are you looking for exactly~ that doesn't already exist as of 1.4.4.9? "Choice of Weapon and Armor are subsidized by Accessories [x.Balloons, Frog Gear, Mounts], these suggestions don't add anything new necessarily. What new feature are you looking to see come of these suggested changes to pre-Hardmode?
I just want items to be more viable across the board. I'm not looking to change anything drastically, but having more options at every stage is just "nice", IMO. It's not a new feature I'm looking for, I just enjoy having a large variety of weapons to choose from, it's fun to have choices between weapons and armor instead of one being directly better.
The Castlevania Swords have always been bad, I'll give you that, but the other comparisons you're drawing seem like a reach. It's kinda odd that you consider how much coverage a sword has for the Player later on, but it's not applied to Enchanted Sword here.
Enchanted Sword lacks the aura. I suggested giving it an aura. It's pretty small, all things considered. Comparing it to Starfury is pretty fair, as back in the days of 1.3, you could obtain both at around the same time. Since then Enchanted Swords have been made harder to find on top of being stat nerfed.
...but King Slims is also, technically the "first Boss" [what stage of the game are you talking about, the very beginning?]. I'm not sure exactly what you'd expect here?
King Slime might be the first boss by a technicality, but it's rarely the first boss you fight in a practical sense, reminder, you have to go out of your way to get Ninja armor, because you have to kill King Slime more than once, which is more tedious than mining/exploring for armor.
The healing is strictly bad. It works in a very awkward way where it boosts "natural" health regeneration instead of increasing it by a flat amount, meaning you have to wait between getting hit for Crimson armor to start beating a Band of Regeneration after 15 seconds.
I'll give you this one too, but honestly, guns don't really need any help pre-Harmode. You're better off just running Melee Armor with a gun or Summoner Gear with a gun. Guns are kinda OP in this game.
Guns aren't OP, they're very good, but not OP, Fossil armor being outclassed by melee armor or summoner armor is exactly the issue, however. The armor simply isn't worth getting.
Hard numbers are facts and strictly objective. NE has 4x the pierce of Trimarang and never needs to be aimed.
...exactly... so again, what are we lacking exactly, that you'd like to see in the game with your suggestions?
First point

"Thanks for the info..." 😏 📖

You're acting like we already have too much diversity, and more diversity is bad, what are you talking about with your first comment? Just because we already have some diversity, doesn't mean we can't have any more to make the game more fun with some more thought and viable items.

Also, the ability to heal from Crimson Armor, is way less utility than Shadow Armor's increased acceleration, so I don't know why you're taking a jab at "not valuing utility".

Also, guns aren't op. In fact, guns in my experience tend to do the worst DPS-wise compared to other options of classes damage, and yes, I even used minions and sentries with the other weapons, which hurt Summoner, but Summoner STILL came on top of guns. At least in pre-hardmode, which is where this discussion is.

And, as stated, facts aren't opinions, so again, what are you talking about when you look at hard numbers and call that an opinion?

Back
Top Bottom