Console Console Update Timing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's play that out then.

You ask today what % is done. Let's say the answer is 90% and they think they will be done in three weeks. The next day, they find out about a horrible bug that needs fixing - say cross saves or anything else you want - and said bug will take a month to fix or they can keep to their initial date.

What % done are they? Did the 90% make you feel better? Did they break a promise by delaying the update to fix necessary issues? Stuff happens like this EVERY DAY in game development. I can promise you it happens on the PC side too, but we have the advantage of being the "source" code.

My "monthly" comment was that - of late, especially since the bringing on of the new CS and CM - the communication frequency certainly seems a lot higher than it once was (i.e. at least monthly). Prior to that, it was far more infrequent - but maybe I'm wrong.....I would have to go look. Regardless, it is a point of emphasis I have raised before and will do so again.

That said, my understanding is that they just have nothing new to say - just making a post to say "we are working away" won't be enough....so then they give a guess at a date and then the risk for the above starts all over again.

I know it sucks, but I suppose I just see both sides of the street here..... /shrug

Let's play that out then.

You ask today what % is done. Let's say the answer is 90% and they think they will be done in three weeks. The next day, they find out about a horrible bug that needs fixing - say cross saves or anything else you want - and said bug will take a month to fix or they can keep to their initial date.

What % done are they? Did the 90% make you feel better? Did they break a promise by delaying the update to fix necessary issues? Stuff happens like this EVERY DAY in game development. I can promise you it happens on the PC side too, but we have the advantage of being the "source" code.

My "monthly" comment was that - of late, especially since the bringing on of the new CS and CM - the communication frequency certainly seems a lot higher than it once was (i.e. at least monthly). Prior to that, it was far more infrequent - but maybe I'm wrong.....I would have to go look. Regardless, it is a point of emphasis I have raised before and will do so again.

That said, my understanding is that they just have nothing new to say - just making a post to say "we are working away" won't be enough....so then they give a guess at a date and then the risk for the above starts all over again.

I know it sucks, but I suppose I just see both sides of the street here..... /shrug

I completely agree with you Loki, both sides are stuck between a rock and a hard place at the moment.

People that make the game are doing there best, whether that is 20% effort or 120% effort. Development cycles are a complete pain in the :red:, and it's hard for them to feel like it is worth it if everybody complains.

People that have purchased the game feel like they have a right to speak their minds, even if it is a negative comment or issue. It's hard for them to hear that the game they purchased feels incomplete or lacking what certain other versions have had added. It's even harder for certain people that have purchased Terraria only to find their game broken or lacking compared to certain other versions (cough cough PC cough cough)

Personally I have been frustrated for many reasons, but the most frustrating is that I have purchased this game over 5 separate platforms, have spent over $100 on all of this, and the most functioning version I have is the new 1.3.1 update on pc...thank god for controller support!

But it still hurts feeling like I've bought 4 useless versions of the game before I finally find a complete version to finish(damned ADHD)

Both sides are 100% valid, but neither side seems to want to agree with the other. Honestly I just hope the team moves away from the original game, and focuses on the next game. Also, that when it comes to Terraria Otherworld, that they do not add new content until all platforms(next gen & pc) are equal in content.

Not everyone has a pc, but ALL CUSTOMERS deserves the same game.

Side note, keep up the good work!

Personally I have been frustrated for many reasons, but the most frustrating is that I have purchased this game over 5 separate platforms, have spent over $100 on all of this, and the most functioning version I have is the new 1.3.1 update on pc...thank god for controller support!

But it still hurts feeling like I've bought 4 useless versions of the game before I finally find a complete version to finish(damned ADHD)

Not everyone has a pc, but ALL CUSTOMERS deserves the same game.

I hope I don't come out as an :red:, I just wanted to put my two cents in on this non-pc versions concern... I too have many copies of this game: PC, PS3, PS4(x2), Vita, Mobile(x3)... And to be honest, other than some mobile versions crashing, and PS3's occasional sound-tearing, I haven't had a problem with the other versions.

I did have a serious problem with the Vita version, until after a few events that caused me to have to send in for a new Vita from Sony. After I got the new Vita, that version of Terraria started working perfectly... I'm not saying you're in the wrong in any way, as I know a lot of usability problems can come from the application itself, but I guess what I'm trying to ask is, have you checked to see if it could be a fault of the platform? (Another reason I ask is sometimes the PS3 and PS4 won't run games properly, and I've found rebuilding the database can fix such problems, or how rebuilding a cache on Steam can fix a multitude of performance problems.)
Not trying to nitpick or defend any particular side per se, and again, I hope I'm not coming off as a jerk in any way, just a suggestion that may save you some stress or frustration, as I agree, everyone deserves to be able to play this game.

I don't even get why people are defending this.

I mean its clear that console players are getting screwed over here, they don't even care enough to give us an update on the situation, were just expected to wait while they clearly show that they care more about things like bringing out a 3DS version and a Wii U version, a new patch for the PC etc etc than they do adding roughly 100 missing items to an already released patch.

I mean really how hard is it to add the rest of a patch that they already brought out over the span of roughly 6 months?

And we have been getting shafted like this since Terraria came out on the consoles.

Heck at this rate by the time we finally get 1.3.0 terraria 2 will likely be out with several patches in.

I understand that coding isn't the easiest thing to do and of course its always possible for issues to come up but I highly doubt that's the issue at hand here, I mean they had 6 MONTHS to work on this and you're trying to tell me that they haven't made enough progress to even give us an update/release date on the rest of a patch?, that's bull:red: plain and simple.

Besides even if coding was the issue, by no means does it excuse the lack of communication and disregard they had towards console players after all those pretty promises they made recently and 2 years ago, heck I'd even go as far as to say that it feels like they're trying to piss off console players with this new controller support patch, as if to say "You can now play Terraria on PC with a controller, the console players can stop whining now and do that while we focus on things that we find more important"

Probably not what they're actually trying to say with this ill admit but it sure as hell feels like it.

I wouldn't even be surprised if the Wii U version that's expected to release on June 28 will have the full 1.2.4 update sooner than the Playstation and Xbox players.

Last edited:
first of all..PC is done by Relogic. Console is done by Engine Software. 3DS,Wii U and mobile are being done by Codeglue. Relogic are the original devs behind the game on PC. Engine Software is porting the game to more than just one console and from what I understand some systems have a different infrastructure so you can't just copy and paste and get away with it. Codeglue is using console AND mobile as the base for the 3DS and Wii U.

first of all..PC is done by Relogic. Console is done by Engine Software. 3DS,Wii U and mobile are being done by Codeglue. Relogic are the original devs behind the game on PC. Engine Software is porting the game to more than just one console and from what I understand some systems have a different infrastructure so you can't just copy and paste and get away with it. Codeglue is using console AND mobile as the base for the 3DS and Wii U.

Fair enough but that doesn't change my main point, they still had 6 MONTHS to get this :red: done, bull:red: that they actually heavily focused on it but still cant even give us an update much less a release date.

Its not like this is a complete patch, its just roughly 100 items that haven't been added yet, and again at this rate the Wii U version that come's out on June 28th will have the complete version of the patch before the PS4 and Xbox one do who already had the patch 6 months prior.

That's ridiculous and you know it, besides its not like this is new either, Xbox/PS players have been getting shafted like this since the game released on said platforms.

not really. They've switched up QA teams and the reason for delays could most likely be bugs were found that we would've complained about like rabid animals if they released it. Delays happen for a reason..It's not because "Screw the fans" it's because taking your time yields better results..as the saying goes...measure twice..cut once.

not really. They've switched up QA teams and the reason for delays could most likely be bugs were found that we would've complained about like rabid animals if they released it. Delays happen for a reason..It's not because "Screw the fans" it's because taking your time yields better results..as the saying goes...measure twice..cut once.

Not when you piss your fans off to the point that they don't want to play your game anymore.

Also if you actually paid attention to earlier news on the situation you would know that those "Bugs" were confirmed 6 month's ago, that's the entire reason the content hasn't been put into the game yet, because they're supposedly still busy with the bugs that they were talking about 6 months ago.

You might buy into that bull:red: but I sure as hell don't, I like the game but I'm not naive enough to believe that its creators can do no wrong and they certainly haven't show that they gave a :red: these past months.

Last edited:
I'm grateful for the pc statue resprites and the console Horned God resprite, thanks. We own a Wii U and an Android tablet and a New Nin 3ds, I will never purchase a 505 game, knowingly, for those devices. "Bitten off more than they can chew," comes to mind. And comments concerning update purchases? The pc game cost what? $10? The console is $20. I do not know of a Terraria update that pc users have had to purchase for Terraria. - I could very well be wrong about that. So, any comment/stance that states that idea is null, imo.

i so BORED JUST PLEASE 505 PLEASE UPDATE IVE BEEN WATING FOR A YEAR AND A HALF JUST UPDATE IT BUT UR NOT GOING TO READ THIS ARE YOU IVE POSTED SO MANY BEGS AND INFO IM LITERLY BEGING FOR U TO UPDATE BUT I BET NON OF THE DEVELOPERS WILL READ THIS AND IT WILL BE ONE OF THOSE 4MONTHS AGO POST AND STILL WONT BE A FREKIN UPDATE so please just finsh that update

u know wat im going to get my pc windos 7 download terraria attach it to my wide screen plug in my controler to my computer AND IM GOING TO PLAY1.3 LIKE IM ON THE CONSOLE! ]:> DUCK YEA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[doublepost=1464237619,1464237293][/doublepost]may i suggest u add the severs option on pc to consoles

bug will take a month to fix
Shhhh.... , it is an ominous and unfathomable-horror of this career.
It is always forbidden to talk about, in public.
Oh no! You have just made the evil come real. Bugs will crawl around your bed this night.

"Bitten off more than they can chew," comes to mind.

This is probably the most on-point comment that has been made. 505 has definitely bitten off more than they can chew. I have purchased the PC version 3 times over at full price, Console twice, 3ds, and ios. i know that they all have different Devs. and unfortunately i can't play it on my PC anymore, it runs too slow. I have given up any optimism for console to be updated with any quality, and without needing hotfixes because of some game breaking issues. I just wish they would stop trying to make us happy by saying it's coming when they really cannot back it up.

Is it so much hassle too actually hire a bigger team too do the porting because everyone can see there struggling anyway

Last edited:
Same, I ended up giving my console and game to my 6 year old niece, at least none of this will bother her.

At least I can say, with 1.3.1 on pc, the controller support is decent, though not the same as console controls. Now I can finish this damned game and be done with it
Well controller support is going fine for me I'm enjoying 1.3

I have watched from afar for too long... It is time, now I will reveal myself.

Both of the arguments onthis forum are greatly flawed, first the flaws of the side for 505 and Engine.
  • The first (and only) point is that they have failed to keep their deadline, not once but twice now,(three times if you include the holiday update) it does not matter that there were still problems, they gave themselves a deadline and were therefore obligated to meet said deadline. However since they were unable to then they should have pushed back the deadline as early as possible, rather than as late as possible.
Now on to the argument against 505 and Engine.
  • To expand on what I have previously said, I must first aask a question. "Why did they give themselves a deadline?" The answer is, For Us, they didn't have to say when they thought the update might come out, they only did so that we would have something to look forward to.
  • Another foolish argument that I personaly find sickening is the "Well I'm a skilled programmer and -fill in the BS-" Ok if you're such a skilled programmer then you port terraria to console, or how about explain how to port terraria.

Now if you can already tell I do lean more for than against 505 and Engine, this does not mean that I find them faultless in the matter (if you think that then you clearly didn't read my first point) but were it not for them, we would not have terraria on console at all.

This logical argument brought to you by
-Your Friendly Neighborhood Gamer
aka- Drewman the Useless Mage

I have watched from afar for too long... It is time, now I will reveal myself.

Both of the arguments onthis forum are greatly flawed, first the flaws of the side for 505 and Engine.
  • The first (and only) point is that they have failed to keep their deadline, not once but twice now,(three times if you include the holiday update) it does not matter that there were still problems, they gave themselves a deadline and were therefore obligated to meet said deadline. However since they were unable to then they should have pushed back the deadline as early as possible, rather than as late as possible.
Now on to the argument against 505 and Engine.
  • To expand on what I have previously said, I must first aask a question. "Why did they give themselves a deadline?" The answer is, For Us, they didn't have to say when they thought the update might come out, they only did so that we would have something to look forward to.
  • Another foolish argument that I personaly find sickening is the "Well I'm a skilled programmer and -fill in the BS-" Ok if you're such a skilled programmer then you port terraria to console, or how about explain how to port terraria.

Now if you can already tell I do lean more for than against 505 and Engine, this does not mean that I find them faultless in the matter (if you think that then you clearly didn't read my first point) but were it not for them, we would not have terraria on console at all.

This logical argument brought to you by
-Your Friendly Neighborhood Gamer
aka- Drewman the Useless Mage

Like I previously said, it doesn't matter if its for us or not when they take so long and show such disregard that people don't want to play their game anymore.

I mean the content should have been already out twice, instead we don't even have a release date yet, at this point its more likely that the Wii U version will come out with the full 1.2.4 patch before we even have it, and that's ridiculous considering the time that has gone by since we received the first part of the patch.

On top of that look at the bigger picture, PC is at patch 1.3.1 now and we don't even have 1.2.4 completely yet, if mere bugs take them more than 6 months to fix than how long will it take for the console versions to even reach the 1.3.0 patch.

At this point I don't even believe anymore that its ever going to happen and if it does happen it will likely be after Terraria 2 is not only released but several patches in, in which case it won't even be relevant anymore.

No matter how you look at the situation, its undeniable that PS and Xbox players are getting shafted here, and its hardly something new too considering the fact that this has been the case since the game released on said platforms.

Like I previously said, it doesn't matter if its for us or not when they take so long and show such disregard that people don't want to play their game anymore.

I mean the content should have been already out twice, instead we don't even have a release date yet, at this point its more likely that the Wii U version will come out with the full 1.2.4 patch before we even have it, and that's ridiculous considering the time that has gone by since we received the first part of the patch.

On top of that look at the bigger picture, PC is at patch 1.3.1 now and we don't even have 1.2.4 completely yet, if mere bugs take them more than 6 months to fix than how long will it take for the console versions to even reach the 1.3.0 patch.

At this point I don't even believe anymore that its ever going to happen and if it does happen it will likely be after Terraria 2 is not only released but several patches in, in which case it won't even be relevant anymore.

No matter how you look at the situation, its undeniable that PS and Xbox players are getting shafted here, and its hardly something new too considering the fact that this has been the case since the game released on said platforms.

Look at it this way, Cenx announced yesterday on Twitter that 1.3.2 is well on the way for pc. They get that information a week after 1.3.1 is released.

Last gen owners are never going to get anything more than the last bit of 1.2.4 if they're lucky. As for current gen, fingers crossed, but at this point Terraria is a game I would not recommend to anyone that isn't a PC player

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom