Working as Designed Critical hit chance of projectiles uses currently held weapon to determine critical hit chance.

Mail

Official Terrarian
Steam or GOG
Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Single
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
The critical hit chance of the currently held weapon is applied to the critical hit of all projectiles from the same player, even if they are from a different weapon type.
The critical hit chance of a projectile is not influenced by the weapon that created that projectile unless that weapon happens to be held while damage is being dealt.
Projectiles do not use the player's critical hit rate from when they were fired, but instead get it from the player when damage is dealt, changing mid-flight when buffs and equipment change.

How to test:

Remove all critical hit chance increasing gear.

Use Crimson Rod or Nimbus Rod over some target dummies.

Observe the low frequency of critical hits.

Switch weapons to a Sniper Rifle reforged with +5% critical hit chance.

Observe the very high frequency of critical hits.

Similar Bug: Sharpening Station applies to minions, ranged projectiles, magic projectiles.

Last edited:
its a feature
I doubt that. At the very least, the game could check the weapon type (melee/ranged/magic) and apply the crit bonus only to projectiles of the same class.

In that case, a mage would have to use sky fracture to boost magic crit rates of the magnet sphere instead of a sniper rifle.

Currently Crimson Rod/Nimbus Rod get a significant dps boost from melee and ranged weapons since they tend to have higher crit rates.

Thanks for the report. I have been advised this is expected behaviour. Projectile critical hit chance is calculated on the fly, so it uses the currently equipped weapon to determine the chance.

Thanks for the report. I have been advised this is expected behaviour. Projectile critical hit chance is calculated on the fly, so it uses the currently equipped weapon to determine the chance.
Spellcasters using Rainbow Rod, Magnet Sphere, Crimson Rod, needing to switch to sniper rifle for max dps is intended behavior??? It really makes no logical sense.

Can you please provide a link to your source?

Spellcasters using Rainbow Rod, Magnet Sphere, Crimson Rod, needing to switch to sniper rifle for max dps is intended behavior??? It really makes no logical sense.
Apparently it is as I said in the other topic:
I even solved this problem in the engine that I mentioned, but not all engines have the same rules.

The most ridiculous aspect of this behavior is that turning smart cursor on instantly changes the critical chance of your projectiles and spells. Your rainbow gun ends up getting it's crit rate from the torch in your hand.

Last edited:
The most ridiculous aspect of this behavior is that turning smart cursor on instantly changes the critical chance of your projectiles and spells. Your rainbow rod ends up getting it's crit rate from the torch in your hand.
Lol, very messy

Just noticed this, but I have a question: I did a test using a Sniper Rife with about 101% crit chance (boosted by vortex armor and two sniper scopes), then, I tested a Nimbus Rod and Nebula Arcanum (both with 4% crit), then, it seems strange: after I fire the weapon and swap to the sniper rife, the crit chance seems neither 4% nor 100%, it seems about 50%. What could be the reason? Is some cirt boost not counting to the projectiles?

Just noticed this, but I have a question: I did a test using a Sniper Rife with about 101% crit chance (boosted by vortex armor and two sniper scopes), then, I tested a Nimbus Rod and Nebula Arcanum (both with 4% crit), then, it seems strange: after I fire the weapon and swap to the sniper rife, the crit chance seems neither 4% nor 100%, it seems about 50%. What could be the reason? Is some cirt boost not counting to the projectiles?
Vortex armor only applies to ranged projectiles. Psycho knife stealth mode probably only works on melee projectiles.

The bug applies the weapons base critical hit chance plus modifier bonus across weapon damage types, but most other bonuses only work with projectiles with a matching damage type.

Back
Top Bottom