Crushing Pumpkin and Frost Moon events using Autofarms

Hey, I want to start off by saying that the farm looks amazing and I am awestruck by everything in your world!! I haven't run through a pumpkin moon or frost moon yet, so I'm wondering what I should do for a minion. I know some of the accessories are unavailable because they come from the Mourning Wood, but the minion seems like a main source of damage. I was possibly thinking of either the Duke Fishron drop, the tempest staff that spawns the sharknado. The problem I see is that the diamond thing can travel through blocks and deal damage, so I believe it would kill the slime that is providing the invulnerability. My other option would be the deadly spike ball, seeing that it does fairly high damage and cannot travel through blocks. Thank you so much for the guide!!

PS - Because of 1.3 and expert mode, slimes deal much more than 1 damage per it, and that seems to only be offset with very high defense, which is lacking on summoner armor. Are you able to change off the tiki armor and change to beetle armor for the high defense? Thanks!!!

Hey, I want to start off by saying that the farm looks amazing and I am awestruck by everything in your world!! I haven't run through a pumpkin moon or frost moon yet, so I'm wondering what I should do for a minion. I know some of the accessories are unavailable because they come from the Mourning Wood, but the minion seems like a main source of damage. I was possibly thinking of either the Duke Fishron drop, the tempest staff that spawns the sharknado. The problem I see is that the diamond thing can travel through blocks and deal damage, so I believe it would kill the slime that is providing the invulnerability. My other option would be the deadly spike ball, seeing that it does fairly high damage and cannot travel through blocks. Thank you so much for the guide!!

PS - Because of 1.3 and expert mode, slimes deal much more than 1 damage per it, and that seems to only be offset with very high defense, which is lacking on summoner armor. Are you able to change off the tiki armor and change to beetle armor for the high defense? Thanks!!!
You need to get a Banner from a Blue Slime and place it. That gives more damage and defense against the slime. If you mean the Deadly Sphere, give it a try, should work.

What would you recommend as the sixth accessory slot? (From the WoF in expert mode)
If your defense and regeneration is high enough/feel good enough take something that boosts your summon damage, if not maybe the shiny stone from the golems treasure bag.
There is one problem though.
The map DicemanX offers for download is not Expert Mode so u can`t use the 6th slot.

If your defense and regeneration is high enough/feel good enough take something that boosts your summon damage, if not maybe the shiny stone from the golems treasure bag.
There is one problem though.
The map DicemanX offers for download is not Expert Mode so u can`t use the 6th slot.
Yeah I know. I built my own version of it, with just a different aesthetic design, but the same mechanical design, and my world is on expert mode.

Ah ok then.
You could use a Dugeon Spike and replace the slime statue with a heart statue and a timer.
Oh right! I never thought of that. Thanks!
[DOUBLEPOST=1436711632,1436711136][/DOUBLEPOST]Would the Dungeon Spike damage take priority over any of the mobs in the Pumpkin Moon or Frost Moon?

Unfortunately the Spike only reliably blocks projectile damage but not contact damage, so the mob statues are still the way to go.

I'll be updating the old world very soon, and creating a new 1.3 world as well! I'll be fixing and porting over a lot of the farms and contraptions into an expert-mode world.

Unfortunately the Spike only reliably blocks projectile damage but not contact damage, so the mob statues are still the way to go.

I'll be updating the old world very soon, and creating a new 1.3 world as well! I'll be fixing and porting over a lot of the farms and contraptions into an expert-mode world.
Okay cool! When I ran through the Pumpkin Moon, it started off well, but something happened and caused me to take damage from Mourning Woods or Pumpkings. I'm not sure what happened, or if anything even happened to cause it. I'm going to fill in more caves around my character (even though I believe I filled in every spawn point) and record a run of it so I can see exactly what happens and when. Since Dungeon Spikes only block ranged damage, is the Slime like that too where it only prevents melee damage? Thanks for your help!!

PS - I'm going to do a run on your map to see if the same issue occurs. I'll let you know once I try it.

Okay cool! When I ran through the Pumpkin Moon, it started off well, but something happened and caused me to take damage from Mourning Woods or Pumpkings. I'm not sure what happened, or if anything even happened to cause it.

The slime didn't have damage priority. The cause is the slime being summoned while there's already a mob in the world that eventually dies or despawns.

The slime didn't have damage priority. The cause is the slime being summoned while there's already a mob in the world that eventually dies or despawns.
Okay. I'll try and fill in 150 blocks each direction to the left and right, then 100 blocks each direction up and down. I thought I had every block filled in the spawn area around the player, but apparently not. I believe the open area above the teleporters should be okay to leave open as to get mid-air spawns. I really appreciate your help and feedback!

So I ran through it a couple of time and it worked out better than in the past. One time I started getting damaged around wave 13, and the best time was when I started getting damaged on wave 15. I've filled in many blocks past the spawn box (37x84 around the player), but enemies are still spawning outside that somehow. Sometimes a Mourning Wood or Poltergeist will come from some direction other than the left. It's also quite obnoxious that the drop rate for the Pumpking's loot is equal for most of the items, yet he has yet to drop a Raven Staff. I've received 5 Horseman's Blades, 4 Black Fairy Dust, 3 Spider Eggs, 6 Candy Corn Rifles, and 3 Jack 'O Lantern Launchers, yet no Raven Staff. I'm guessing it's just my terrible luck and RNG being bad. Anyway, I'll keep plugging away at finding those occasional spawnpoints. Thanks again!

Didn`t know that the dungeon spike only blocks projectile attacks, sorry for that :(
Looking forward to the updated map.

Yeah I think the Deadly Sphere minion is a little glitchy. At one point, I saw one come flying in from the bottom left, going through many blocks. I believe this kills the slime at some point, because once I take damage and die, the slime is missing. Still no Raven Staff...

Note that wooden spikes flat-out don't work anymore and dungeon spikes might not as well (haven't personally tested). You're probably going to want to go with Slimes or Lava. (Use bubble blocks for standing in lava+honey at the same time)

Also note that in expert mode if you DO go with lava... you almost certainly aren't going to be able to truly AFK farm without switching from a summoner focused build and potions to a defense/regen focused build/potions. But if you're willing to semi-afk and use potions it should still be doable.

Speaking of, I was planning on building a variant on this using bubble blocks to hold in the lava, what are your thoughts on that DicemanX? Would it make it better or worse for the killing power for all the little enemies? Also do you think this arena (with minor modifications, mostly to put spike traps below the player to hit his exposed heart) could be used for the Moon Lord? Personally I'm sick of doing the fight "properly".

Using a similar albeit smaller design I was able to reach the final wave of pumpkin moon in 1.3 expert mode at 9:45 PM as a pure caster and only using one stationary summons. At one point reaching 47k DPS but usually between 6k-15k for a total of 135 Pumpking kills by morning. I must say though your designs are absolutely brilliant and I'm sure once you explore 1.3 you will some how manage to beat it at 7:45 PM.

Screenshot @ wave 15 http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=483467381

The 1.3 update also brought a quicker cool-down time for Spear Traps (1½ seconds, down from 2 seconds). I wonder if there is a way of making them do this consistently through timers? The only thing that sounds plausible to me would be something like a Bird Statue hitting two pressure plates exactly 1½ seconds apart (90 frames), each triggering 3 second timers, and the timers both triggering the same set of Spear Traps.

I can't imagine what kind of wiring complications this entails, especially if multiple double-timer series are used to get several rows of Spear Traps to hit every 10 frames.

The 1.3 update also brought a quicker cool-down time for Spear Traps (1½ seconds, down from 2 seconds). I wonder if there is a way of making them do this consistently through timers? The only thing that sounds plausible to me would be something like a Bird Statue hitting two pressure plates exactly 1½ seconds apart (90 frames), each triggering 3 second timers, and the timers both triggering the same set of Spear Traps.

I can't imagine what kind of wiring complications this entails, especially if multiple double-timer series are used to get several rows of Spear Traps to hit every 10 frames.

I've actually moved away from timers altogether and instead adopted Unftf's trick:

http://forums.terraria.org/index.ph...raria-engineering-insights.29148/#post-661031

In the post I showcase a set-up with dart traps, but this approach can be used with spear traps as well. The dummy approach guarantees that a trap will fire no later than 1 tick after the cooldown ends. It's also a much less resource intensive approach, since timers are a major pain to craft in great numbers, especially 1-sec timers.

Back
Top Bottom