Crushing Pumpkin and Frost Moon events using Autofarms

Good job on the autofarm... I see no way this could be improved except with a Pumpkin Pie or Bowl of Soup. ;):merchantwink:

Yep, got that covered :). It's under the protocol for generating the strongest minions - I mention eating Pumpkin Pie and drinking a Rage Potion to improve minion damage. I wonder if there are any other ways of increasing damage output for the event? I still need to more thoroughly test using Sharknados over Ravens, but it is not so easy to make an arena with Sharknados since they kill the slimes that protect you. One solution would be to elevate the player above the Mourning Woods, but then tehre would be too much separation between the Woods and Pumpkings. Still working on it!

Yep, got that covered :). It's under the protocol for generating the strongest minions - I mention eating Pumpkin Pie and drinking a Rage Potion to improve minion damage. I wonder if there are any other ways of increasing damage output for the event? I still need to more thoroughly test using Sharknados over Ravens, but it is not so easy to make an arena with Sharknados since they kill the slimes that protect you. One solution would be to elevate the player above the Mourning Woods, but then tehre would be too much separation between the Woods and Pumpkings. Still working on it!
Oh, never noticed you mentioned those :joy:

Near the end of the moon do u reapply summoning potions?? they don't last long enough for the whole night...

No, I don't reapply, since this farm is meant to be completely AFK. It's OK though, the potions don't boost spear trap damage that much, so it's not a big loss. The minion damage boost stays on the minions throughout the event though.

@Diceman...
I'm on Xbox one, have finished all hardmode bosses besides the two moon events.
I just had a few questions about your set up, which I plan to replicate.
When I zoom in on the pics it gets blurry especially with the wiring, hard to see.
On top of the spear traps, the very top of the wired part, what are those? Are those timers for each dart trap or 1 timer linked to just the row of wiring?
Also the top left and the bottom portion of the "arena" with the red tetris like blocks?? what are those? just aesthetic blocks?

@Diceman...
I'm on Xbox one, have finished all hardmode bosses besides the two moon events.
I just had a few questions about your set up, which I plan to replicate.
When I zoom in on the pics it gets blurry especially with the wiring, hard to see.
On top of the spear traps, the very top of the wired part, what are those? Are those timers for each dart trap or 1 timer linked to just the row of wiring?
Also the top left and the bottom portion of the "arena" with the red tetris like blocks?? what are those? just aesthetic blocks?

On top of the spear trap batteries there isn't anything there except a wall (or torches in some cases for aesthetic reasons). The only timers are those above the pressure plates in the bird tunnel on the far left. The tetris-like blocks are also purely for design purposes, nothing else :).

As a quick side note for everyone trying to replicate the arena - this arena is of course fully AFK and very effective against Pumpkin Moon (great for farming) but Frost moon only goes up to wave 17 (which is a record for AFK farming). If one wants to farm drops from Frost Moon, the Horseman's Blade arena is much better since the 20th wave can be reached around 1am, maybe sooner. Additionally, if the AFK farm in this thread is used for Pumpkin Moon only, then all of the traps to the right of the player can be omitted, along with the traps at the very top of the arena - all those traps are only for Ice Queens. The farm then becomes far less resource intensive.

On top of the spear trap batteries there isn't anything there except a wall (or torches in some cases for aesthetic reasons). The only timers are those above the pressure plates in the bird tunnel on the far left. The tetris-like blocks are also purely for design purposes, nothing else :).

As a quick side note for everyone trying to replicate the arena - this arena is of course fully AFK and very effective against Pumpkin Moon (great for farming) but Frost moon only goes up to wave 17 (which is a record for AFK farming). If one wants to farm drops from Frost Moon, the Horseman's Blade arena is much better since the 20th wave can be reached around 1am, maybe sooner. Additionally, if the AFK farm in this thread is used for Pumpkin Moon only, then all of the traps to the right of the player can be omitted, along with the traps at the very top of the arena - all those traps are only for Ice Queens. The farm then becomes far less resource intensive.

Awesome, if we don't include said traps, will we need to block off those areas to keep enemies from spawning on either side? or maybe even mirror image the left side with the right and handle any enemies from either side?

My next question (and thank you for being so kind and a teacher) is what are those things on top of the lava?
I am assuming the lava helps damage mobs, but how do you collect the loot afterwards? Isn't there a limit to how much loot can be present? Do you lose any throughout the afk run?
[DOUBLEPOST=1427474103][/DOUBLEPOST]

I hate to bother, but by chance do you have a screenshot without the wiring?

Awesome, if we don't include said traps, will we need to block off those areas to keep enemies from spawning on either side? or maybe even mirror image the left side with the right and handle any enemies from either side?

No need to block off those areas that remain on-screen while you farm. You will have to block off areas just off-screen, but that holds true even if you did keep those spear traps.

I did initially mirror what was on the left side so that I had enemies coming from the left and right, but that was before I realized that limiting the spawns to one side only didn't affect the overall spawn rate. If you have spawns on both sides the ravens won't be as efficient in helping kill Mourning Woods since their attention will be split between the two sides. Plus, you'd need even more spear traps.

My next question (and thank you for being so kind and a teacher) is what are those things on top of the lava?
I am assuming the lava helps damage mobs, but how do you collect the loot afterwards? Isn't there a limit to how much loot can be present? Do you lose any throughout the afk run?

I hate to bother, but by chance do you have a screenshot without the wiring?

75534D3E979A5BB591D89A62417FC3BFF1815183

I recently installed a teleporter directly above the slime chamber. This allows for easier loot collection after the Moon event is over. There is a switch directly above where I'm standing, connected to the actuated teleporter between the two campfires.

Some loot will be lost because there is a 400 item limit in the world, but the lava does help in burning away some of the drops of small value (the spooky wood, coins, and hearts). I have obsidian platforms above me that have one purpose: to trap the Headless Horsemen when they teleport in from the spawn area on the far left (the inbound teleporters are in the lava directly above my character). Without the platforms the Horsemen tend to run to the left once they teleport in, out of raven range. With the platforms the horsemen jump up onto the platforms, and get trapped where all the event bosses are, and the ravens hit every mob/boss there simultaneously.

However, I use the platforms to set final wave time records. The platforms are best omitted if you're planning to farm so that they don't trap the low value items, and instead let them fall into the lava.

You can expect around 10 platinum per Pumpkin Moon event. Not bad for an AFK farm :). You'll have to make a lot of trips back to home base to sell everything off though! As a result you might consider installing a King or Queen statue nearby to call a vendor NPC and sell off the items.

No need to block off those areas that remain on-screen while you farm. You will have to block off areas just off-screen, but that holds true even if you did keep those spear traps.

I did initially mirror what was on the left side so that I had enemies coming from the left and right, but that was before I realized that limiting the spawns to one side only didn't affect the overall spawn rate. If you have spawns on both sides the ravens won't be as efficient in helping kill Mourning Woods since their attention will be split between the two sides. Plus, you'd need even more spear traps.

75534D3E979A5BB591D89A62417FC3BFF1815183

I recently installed a teleporter directly above the slime chamber. This allows for easier loot collection after the Moon event is over. There is a switch directly above where I'm standing, connected to the actuated teleporter between the two campfires.

Some loot will be lost because there is a 400 item limit in the world, but the lava does help in burning away some of the drops of small value (the spooky wood, coins, and hearts). I have obsidian platforms above me that have one purpose: to trap the Headless Horsemen when they teleport in from the spawn area on the far left (the inbound teleporters are in the lava directly above my character). Without the platforms the Horsemen tend to run to the left once they teleport in, out of raven range. With the platforms the horsemen jump up onto the platforms, and get trapped where all the event bosses are, and the ravens hit every mob/boss there simultaneously.

However, I use the platforms to set final wave time records. The platforms are best omitted if you're planning to farm so that they don't trap the low value items, and instead let them fall into the lava.

You can expect around 10 platinum per Pumpkin Moon event. Not bad for an AFK farm :). You'll have to make a lot of trips back to home base to sell everything off though! As a result you might consider installing a King or Queen statue nearby to call a vendor NPC and sell off the items.

great! Thanks!
i am mainly farming just to actually farm haha. I have plenty of platinum, so i just wanted to actually get the items from the mobs to craft.
From the wiring pic, above the lava are these things that look like pressure plates almost that aren't visible in the un-wired pic..what are those?

i am going to try and build tonight when I get home...if I have questions, i will post again for troubleshooting! haha

great! Thanks!
i am mainly farming just to actually farm haha. I have plenty of platinum, so i just wanted to actually get the items from the mobs to craft.
From the wiring pic, above the lava are these things that look like pressure plates almost that aren't visible in the un-wired pic..what are those?

Those are minecart tracks :). It's how I used to access the chamber above the slime box and collect drops. It wasn't very convenient, so I replaced it with the teleporter you see in the pic above.

i am going to try and build tonight when I get home...if I have questions, i will post again for troubleshooting! haha

Good luck! Let me know if you have any further Qs anytime!

Hello was just messaging you on youtube finally let my account be confirmed lol..

Great, glad you were able to post! So it looks like some of the timers were not getting activated, correct? Is the dart trap not killing the bird when it reaches the end of the track? There are seems to be a strange bug on console, where objects can be activated by wire that is 1 block away - for instance, I presume all your mob teleporters are working even though the wires are not passing directly through the pressure plates?

Great, glad you were able to post! So it looks like some of the timers were not getting activated, correct? Is the dart trap not killing the bird when it reaches the end of the track? There are seems to be a strange bug on console, where objects can be activated by wire that is 1 block away - for instance, I presume all your mob teleporters are working even though the wires are not passing directly through the pressure plates?
Yes that's exactly what seems to happen they're able to fly back to deactivate some so by time a couple of set of birds spawn the timers seem out of whack.. I've tried spacing the trap further but it always seems to happen.. :( All teleporters work perfect though.. Also when the dart fires killing all birds some timers are inactive but it takes like 2 seconds for next bird set to spawn..

Yes that's exactly what seems to happen they're able to fly back to deactivate some so by time a couple of set of birds spawn the timers seem out of whack.. I've tried spacing the trap further but it always seems to happen.. :( All teleporters work perfect though.. Also when the dart fires killing all birds some timers are inactive but it takes like 2 seconds for next bird set to spawn..

You can also kill off the bird using a "ghost wall" with lava beyond it. I used this approach in another build:

3uJBjfu.jpg

The ghost walls are on the far right, at the ends of various bird tracks. The ghost wall consists of an actuated sloped block, a solid block beyond it, and lava beyond the block. The actuated sloped block makes it so that a mob or player can pass through the solid wall behind it.

You cannot slope blocks so that they taper down, but you can slope them so that they taper up on console. Upward sloping actuated blocks will have the same effect.

Hey Diceman!

After trying to replicate your setup (at least in function, not completely in aesthetics) from the screenshots I had a point where the wiring was making no sense to me and it turns out, after I drained all the lava in the downloadable world 7.5, that first of all you not only forgot to remove a few pieces of wire and left useless switches behind the lava (you messy :O) but you also did not connect the second teleporter from the left to an output teleporter, the wire ends in empty space! Just wanted to let you know as you're trying for effective builds here :D

See ya!

Hey Diceman!

After trying to replicate your setup (at least in function, not completely in aesthetics) from the screenshots I had a point where the wiring was making no sense to me and it turns out, after I drained all the lava in the downloadable world 7.5, that first of all you not only forgot to remove a few pieces of wire and left useless switches behind the lava (you messy :O) but you also did not connect the second teleporter from the left to an output teleporter, the wire ends in empty space! Just wanted to let you know as you're trying for effective builds here :D

See ya!

Cool thanks for bringing that to my attention! I do a lot of tinketing to improve builds so sometimes I leave a mess but I'll make sure to clean it up :).

Were you able to replicate the set-up successfully?

Im about to put the lava in in my build and it'll be time to test it out, though I'm still far from optimal equipment as I still need a lot of items, especially for the initial summoning. But I'm confident it'll work, though it took a lot of hours to build, getting more time-efficient with each layer of traps, etc.
I plan on testing it out as soon as I'm finished getting together the best gear I can get together from my stock at the moment so I'll give some feedback afterwards!

//edit: so 30 minutes later I started my first try and forgot to seal off a spawn zone which wasted my first try but the second one was a lot better, getting me to the final wave at 12:35 with my very sub-optimal equipment which consisted of:

1) Put on Tiki Armor (no Spooky yet T_T), Menacing Hercules Beetle, 2nd Menacing Hercules Beetle, Menacing Pygmy Neclace, a sun stone (still daytime) and a Menacing Eye of the Golem I had somewhere

2) No Summon Potion (Q_Q), no Wrath Potion (._.) but a well fed buff! (and tipsy-(de)buff for crit)

3) Summon.. I think 5 pygmy (no raven staff yet)

4) Swap menacing beetle for lucky pygmy necklace, swap menacing pygmy necklace for another lucky one

5) Summon two more pygmy

6) Swap Menacing Eye of the Golem for the lucky counterpart, swap Hercules Beetle for Lucky Destroyer Emblem, swap Sun Stone for Lucky Warrior Emblem (just for the crit)

7) Put Legendary Katana in active slot, get up to 64% critical strike chance for the traps

This all is still very suboptimal and unrefined as I still need to farm a lot of equip (and by now platin as well) but it works, which is very satisfying after putting in SUCH a long ammount of time! I'm actually pausing the game right now and am hoping to get a raven staff to get that sweet aoe damage!

Last edited:
Im about to put the lava in in my build and it'll be time to test it out, though I'm still far from optimal equipment as I still need a lot of items, especially for the initial summoning. But I'm confident it'll work, though it took a lot of hours to build, getting more time-efficient with each layer of traps, etc.
I plan on testing it out as soon as I'm finished getting together the best gear I can get together from my stock at the moment so I'll give some feedback afterwards!

//edit: so 30 minutes later I started my first try and forgot to seal off a spawn zone which wasted my first try but the second one was a lot better, getting me to the final wave at 12:35 with my very sub-optimal equipment which consisted of:

1) Put on Tiki Armor (no Spooky yet T_T), Menacing Hercules Beetle, 2nd Menacing Hercules Beetle, Menacing Pygmy Neclace, a sun stone (still daytime) and a Menacing Eye of the Golem I had somewhere

2) No Summon Potion (Q_Q), no Wrath Potion (._.) but a well fed buff! (and tipsy-(de)buff for crit)

3) Summon.. I think 5 pygmy (no raven staff yet)

4) Swap menacing beetle for lucky pygmy necklace, swap menacing pygmy necklace for another lucky one

5) Summon two more pygmy

6) Swap Menacing Eye of the Golem for the lucky counterpart, swap Hercules Beetle for Lucky Destroyer Emblem, swap Sun Stone for Lucky Warrior Emblem (just for the crit)

7) Put Legendary Katana in active slot, get up to 64% critical strike chance for the traps

This all is still very suboptimal and unrefined as I still need to farm a lot of equip (and by now platin as well) but it works, which is very satisfying after putting in SUCH a long ammount of time! I'm actually pausing the game right now and am hoping to get a raven staff to get that sweet aoe damage!

12:35am is still pretty impressive - once you get it to be more optimal, we'll see if you can beat the record of 10:59pm :). Perhaps you or anyone else can find a way of improving the design? I'd definitely be interested to see if the final wave time can be beaten! I have some ideas myself but I need to wait a little until I have a bit more free time.

Why couldn't you leave the world the same. Can we either get the link to the farm in the video or an updated tutorial??? Because I downloaded your world which for the most part, looks the same. Then I go to the farm and it's completely different. I have no idea where to go and every place I tried going lead to my death by the damn tree guy who just shot through the floor.

Why couldn't you leave the world the same. Can we either get the link to the farm in the video or an updated tutorial??? Because I downloaded your world which for the most part, looks the same. Then I go to the farm and it's completely different. I have no idea where to go and every place I tried going lead to my death by the damn tree guy who just shot through the floor.

The autofarm in this thread is practically identical in the most recent map (version 10.1). You obviously must have gone to the wrong place if the "damn tree guy" shot you through the floor.

Download the latest version of the map and enter A1 in the hub.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4b_4cIU1vVBckZrR0tXM2FQRjg/view?usp=sharing

Back
Top Bottom