Portfolio/Multi-Topic Deeper/extended oceans (structure/biome/Kraken Boss)

Aceplante

Official Terrarian
The oceans should be deeper to the point where your screen gets almost completely black and basically need the diving gear to get down that far/jellyfish necklace to see. I'm talking halfway down your world. Obviously, this would only look good if the slope was gradual meaning the oceans need to be extended too.

This could be seamlessly added to existing worlds (under the premise that "these oceans have always been there, beyond the border where we couldnt go") by having the drop off happen at the edge of current existing ocean biomes: The slope would be gradual at first, and the first part would look basically the same as the current ocean biome, but then ends in a coral reef biome (just past the current edge of the world. This minibiome would be the new way to get large amounts of coral, which would no longer generate naturally scattered around like it does now) and suddenly drops off in a much steeper rocky slope after that. Patches of kelp could generate scattered around as a new way to obtain it, which can now be cooked into a new "dried kelp" food item that gives well fed for 30 seconds or so. It can still be obtained from fishing, but of course much less often especially as you increase fishing power.

When you get down there, there is an undersea "Atlantis/temple" structure inhabited by mermen (explaining where the zombie mermen came from) with a new kraken boss? It could either drop renewable tridents or perhaps an upgrade to the existing one called "Poseidon's Trident" that grants FULL mobility in water and also an extended breathing time and damage. Or the current trident could just be reworked to a late prehardmode weapon that can only be obtained from this temple rather than in regular water chests.

For behavior, this Kraken boss would be constrained to the water (unlike it's hardmode counterpart, duke fishron, which can fly) and once summed, any player that attempts to swim to the surface is grabbed by tentacles and dragged back down, similar to getting behind/attempting to escape the wall of flesh. This means the entirely of the fight would take place underwater requiring the player to have either a gills potion, good diving gear, or manually build air pockets ahead of time. The new size of the oceans would also give him plenty of room to work with. If he warps away with the mirror/recall potions, the fight ends with the message "the kraken retreats to the depths". It would also sometimes spray the player with ink inflicting the Blackout defuff for 8 seconds or so (as if the bottom of the ocean wasnt dark enough).

It could also drop a magic breathing accessory/oxygen tank that stacks with the diving gear, or pearls as an alternative to fishing for oysters. A sand dollar accessory that boosts fishing power in the ocean? or is a new currency for an angler shop? (I am open to other ideas for items and accessories).

The new ocean could include a shipwreck structure that generates similar to pyramids as outlined in this post (Please bring more life to the ocean). Includes barnacle blocks and the anchor weapon

At the bottom of the ocean, perhaps there could be patches of bioluminescent moss too (perhaps used to craft Glowing Paint), as well as water caves going even deeper.

Potential Items:
-Drowning Shell: the aforementioned accessory that drains mana slowly to delay damage from drowning.
-Poseidon's Trident: dropped from the new kraken boss, grants full mobility in water when held, increased damage in water. Either an upgrade or replacement for the existing trident.
-Kelp Whip: obtained from water chests found in the shallower sections
-Throwing Starfish: Slightly more damage than regular throwing stars/inflict poison for a few seconds on hit? Better velocity under water.
-Giant Jellyfish Staff: Gains size from repeated summons/poisons enemies, full mobility in water, but cannot be summoned or follow you out of water
-Piranha Staff: Obtained from water chests found in the jungle, cannot be summoned or follow you outside of water. Each gains increased damage the more you summon.
-Anglerfish Bait: Light pet, increased light underwater similar to the jellyfish, found in deep ocean chests/in the temple
-Submarine Mount: obtained in hardmode somehow
-Dried Kelp: food item, kelp occasionally drops from breaking it, can be cooked into a food item that gives well fed for 30 seconds?
-Merfolk Scale Set: New armor set that increases water mobility and crit chance, obtained from merfolk

EDIT: Found some old posts with ideas of potential enemies, check them out> [Sprites] Ocean Expanded: Dangerous Depths and Ocaen Mythological and Extinct Creatures

Edit 2: At this point, this could be an entire aquatic update along with the fishing changes i've suggested: Hell Bait should not allow Lava fishing/Useful Hotline Rod and Better Biome/Critter Fishing

Last edited:
I like your ideas but on the moss instead how about bioluminescent plankton that comes at night occasionally?…like glow bugs for the ocean? Now I’m starting to talk myself into posting the idea lol.

Instead of extending ocean, it might be easier to make the ocean cave guarantee to spawn on at least one side. Then the new biome/structure can be added at the end of the cave.

Instead of extending ocean, it might be easier to make the ocean cave guarantee to spawn on at least one side. Then the new biome/structure can be added at the end of the cave.
Except those caves arent nearly deep enough. Not even close.

Expanding the ocean! Welcome to Team Aqua! Jest aside, we do have two of the popular mods that have expanded the ocean depths, creating their own unique biome.

Though, having vanilla Terraria's own underwater biome within the ocean doesn't sound like a bad idea.

However, the ocean biome itself needs to be much, much, MUCH, larger to allow having a large-scale underwater biome. This could be located on the jungle side of the world. This will also be that one specific ocean biome you can fight Duke Fishron.

Expanding the ocean! Welcome to Team Aqua! Jest aside, we do have two of the popular mods that have expanded the ocean depths, creating their own unique biome.

Though, having vanilla Terraria's own underwater biome within the ocean doesn't sound like a bad idea.

However, the ocean biome itself needs to be much, much, MUCH, larger to allow having a large-scale underwater biome. This could be located on the jungle side of the world. This will also be that one specific ocean biome you can fight Duke Fishron.
I was thinking both to reinforce the fact terraria's an island

I was thinking both to reinforce the fact terraria's an island
I always thought Terrarialand was more like a continent.

Maybe in the future they could make worldgen only create one ocean but make it much bigger. It could look weird that one side of the world just ends with an invisible forcefield that you can't go through but that's already the case below ground on both sides of the world, so maybe not.

Except those caves arent nearly deep enough. Not even close.
Unless I misunderstood something, I don't think extending ocean that long to accommodate for the depth would be good, since the majority of it is going to be boring water.

But maybe expanding the size of ocean cave to be like other underground biomes might be more fun.

He just wants more room to build in though…like Atlantis or a base which is rather big. The water could have things added like kelp which grows quite long (though from the surface) and bioluminescent plankton to make it more interesting…to fill in some.
Unless I misunderstood something, I don't think extending ocean that long to accommodate for the depth would be good, since the majority of it is going to be boring water.

But maybe expanding the size of ocean cave to be like other underground biomes might be more fun.

Also thats what oceans are.. mostly "boring" water. Im okay with that.

Also, with the addition of a kraken like boss I mentioned, I would imagine it would be confined to water unlike the hardmode duke fishron. This would require the player to have either gills potions or good diving gear, and much more room to work with. Similar to the wall of flesh, it would use tentacles to catch players trying to leave the ocean biome? Either that or it simply despawns with a message "the kraken has retreated to the depths". (But could be fairly easily respawned).

The issue with expanding the oceans is that you have to go full Team Aqua and reduce the landmass. If we want oceans that go as far down as half the world with gradual slopes, we're going to be trading a lot of what was previously land full of content for essentially empty water. Unless the world is made wider to accommodate the new oceans, and I don't know if they want to change world sizes. You're ok with that, but I have a feeling that a lot of players would object to trading a significant portion of their surface and underground for empty water. I mean, just look at the number of people already saying that radars and aglets are too hard to find.
I like the idea of more ocean content, but changes this big would be more suited to Terraria 2 or a mod, I think.

The issue with expanding the oceans is that you have to go full Team Aqua and reduce the landmass. If we want oceans that go as far down as half the world with gradual slopes, we're going to be trading a lot of what was previously land full of content for essentially empty water. Unless the world is made wider to accommodate the new oceans, and I don't know if they want to change world sizes. You're ok with that, but I have a feeling that a lot of players would object to trading a significant portion of their surface and underground for empty water. I mean, just look at the number of people already saying that radars and aglets are too hard to find.
I like the idea of more ocean content, but changes this big would be more suited to Terraria 2 or a mod, I think.
Thats why i said "extend" the ocean so we dont have to sacrifice any land or anything. It could also be seamlessly added to existing worlds since the first part would be gradual and look exactly like the current oceans before dropping off.

Also thats what oceans are.. mostly "boring" water. Im okay with that.

Also, with the addition of a kraken like boss I mentioned, I would imagine it would be confined to water unlike the hardmode duke fishron. This would require the player to have either gills potions or good diving gear, and much more room to work with. Similar to the wall of flesh, it would use tentacles to catch players trying to leave the ocean biome? Either that or it simply despawns with a message "the kraken has retreated to the depths". (But could be fairly easily respawned).
I kinda thinking of Subnautica though, instead of just straight trip to the destination, I would prefer having more things to explore. Or at least that's a better use of space than filling it with just water.

I kinda thinking of Subnautica though, instead of just straight trip to the destination, I would prefer having more things to explore. Or at least that's a better use of space than filling it with just water.
Definitely…some idk 20 ish block depth section of reefs before the gradual drop off. Then the different empty depths can be fore exploring different mobs in different sections along with I believe would help kelp sections along with bioluminescent plankton.

Definitely…some idk 20 ish block depth section of reefs before the gradual drop off. Then the different empty depths can be fore exploring different mobs in different sections along with I believe would help kelp sections along with bioluminescent plankton.
Yea, and then the bottom would have the temple/boss, plus even more underwater caves below that!

I've actually been forming an idea for a while about an alternate type of world gen where you spawn on a small island. Meanwhile, most of the world is an ocean, and the OG biomes you know and love are replaced with ocean biomes like coral reefs and kelp forests.

I've actually been forming an idea for a while about an alternate type of world gen where you spawn on a small island. Meanwhile, most of the world is an ocean, and the OG biomes you know and love are replaced with ocean biomes like coral reefs and kelp forests.
the world seed can be called island and the whole world is a big ocean with lots of islands and the game progression can be completely different and you can build boats to get around and ropes can be used to attach boats to shore

The oceans should be deeper to the point where your screen gets almost completely black and basically need the diving gear to get down that far/jellyfish necklace to see. I'm talking halfway down your world. Obviously, this would only look good if the slope was gradual meaning the oceans need to be extended too.

This could be seamlessly added to existing worlds (under the premise that "these oceans have always been there, beyond the border where we couldnt go") by having the drop off happen at the edge of current existing ocean biomes: The slope would be gradual at first, and the first part would look basically the same as the current ocean biome, but then ends in a coral reef biome (just past the current edge of the world. This minibiome would be the new way to get large amounts of coral, which would no longer generate naturally scattered around like it does now) and suddenly drops off in a much steeper rocky slope after that. Patches of kelp could generate scattered around as a new way to obtain it, which can now be cooked into a new "dried kelp" food item that gives well fed for 30 seconds or so. It can still be obtained from fishing, but of course much less often especially as you increase fishing power.

When you get down there, there is an undersea "Atlantis/temple" structure inhabited by mermen (explaining where the zombie mermen came from) with a new kraken boss? It could either drop renewable tridents or perhaps an upgrade to the existing one called "Poseidon's Trident" that grants FULL mobility in water and also an extended breathing time and damage. Or the current trident could just be reworked to a late prehardmode weapon that can only be obtained from this temple rather than in regular water chests.

For behavior, this Kraken boss would be constrained to the water (unlike it's hardmode counterpart, duke fishron, which can fly) and once summed, any player that attempts to swim to the surface is grabbed by tentacles and dragged back down, similar to getting behind/attempting to escape the wall of flesh. This means the entirely of the fight would take place underwater requiring the player to have either a gills potion, good diving gear, or manually build air pockets ahead of time. The new size of the oceans would also give him plenty of room to work with. If he warps away with the mirror/recall potions, the fight ends with the message "the kraken retreats to the depths". It would also sometimes spray the player with ink inflicting the Blackout defuff for 8 seconds or so (as if the bottom of the ocean wasnt dark enough).

It could also drop a magic breathing accessory/oxygen tank that stacks with the diving gear, or pearls as an alternative to fishing for oysters. A sand dollar accessory that boosts fishing power in the ocean? or is a new currency for an angler shop? (I am open to other ideas for items and accessories).

The new ocean could include a shipwreck structure that generates similar to pyramids as outlined in this post (Please bring more life to the ocean). Includes barnacle blocks and the anchor weapon

At the bottom of the ocean, perhaps there could be patches of bioluminescent moss too (perhaps used to craft Glowing Paint), as well as water caves going even deeper.

Potential Items:
-Drowning Shell: the aforementioned accessory that drains mana slowly to delay damage from drowning.
-Poseidon's Trident: dropped from the new kraken boss, grants full mobility in water when held, increased damage in water. Either an upgrade or replacement for the existing trident.
-Kelp Whip: obtained from water chests found in the shallower sections
-Giant Jellyfish Staff: Gains size from repeated summons/poisons enemies, full mobility in water, but cannot be summoned or follow you out of water
-Piranha Staff: Obtained from water chests found in the jungle, cannot be summoned or follow you outside of water. Each gains increased damage the more you summon.
-Anglerfish Bait: Light pet, increased light underwater similar to the jellyfish, found in deep ocean chests/in the temple
-Submarine Mount: obtained in hardmode somehow
-Dried Kelp: food item, kelp occasionally drops from breaking it, can be cooked into a food item that gives well fed for 30 seconds?

EDIT: Found an old post with ideas of potential enemies, check it out> Ocaen Mythological and Extinct Creatures

Edit 2: At this point, this could be an entire aquatic update along with the fishing changes i've suggested: Hell Bait should not allow Lava fishing/Useful Hotline Rod and Better Biome/Critter Fishing
Like the idea

Back
Top Bottom