Game Mechanics Designation and Blocking of NPC Housing

SzGamer227

Spazmatism
Designated Housing
To put it simply, I am tired of having to assign and reassign my NPCs housing locations after they all get slaughtered by an invasion. It would be nice for them to keep the housing that you assign them to after death to avoid unnecessary inconvenience. Here's how it would work:
  • When you assign an NPC to a certain home, that home becomes their designated housing location.
  • If that NPC happens to be killed, the banner would turn grey rather than disappearing.
  • NPCs cannot move into a housing designated for another NPC.
  • When the NPC respawns, they will automatically move into their designated housing.
  • Designated housing for unspawned NPCs can be moved and canceled as if they were active.
Simple, right? That way, you can have the Nurse stay near your spawn location even if something goes terribly wrong, and if your townsfolk are killed by invading Pirates or a stray Mourning Wood, your existing NPCs wouldn't under threat of being replaced by newcomers. Also, NPCs can be kept in their own special housings this way, like if you want to keep the Steampunker in a special Steampunk-themed house, if you're into that sort of thing. Nothing complicated, just an idea I had that would solve a few common inconveniences.

Blocked Housing
In addition to this, it would be useful to have another housing option: Blocked housing. If you don't want NPCs moving into obscure faraway housing or other places where you don't want NPCs to be living, you should be able to keep NPCs out.
  • A new, grey banner labeled with an "X" will be located next to the "Housing Query" option.
  • This will be identified as "Block Housing" when hovering the cursor over it.
  • Blocked housing is assigned the way NPCs are, but can be used in any number of places.
  • Blocked housing can also be canceled by right-clicking.

Corrupted Housing
If a housing location is unsuitable to live in due to the presence of the Corruption or Crimson biome, a special tattered banner will appear in place of the regular banner. If the housing is designated or blocked, the NPC head/ X icons would still be visible on top of that. Otherwise, the tattered banner is occupied by a Skull icon.

I think I may eventually do sprites for this thread.

Yeah, I'm with Baconfry here. This does genuinely sound like a handy feature. It would also keep NPCs from moving into the dwellings that the player wants to inhabit himself. I'm so sick of those freeloaders hanging around in my castle! :D

Great idea! Although only 3 of my NPCs ever died (one of them being the guide) I would really like the block housing idea. My clother thought it be cool to live in a sky island.

You get a...
hammer_of_approval_by_milt69466-d815i4s.gif

This s a great idea! My wizard is in the house with all the blinking lights (the mechanic asked for them), the painter is in the angler's house and my friend's wizard is on a floating island and we can't seem to get him down.

This is an excellent idea. I hate when NPC's Move into my room or far away instead of where they originally were.

I think this might be the proper time to resurrect this one, as it's been almost three years since the original post and there has been no response at all from the devteam. This right here is something I've been really ticked off about for quite a while. I have had NPCs move into my workshop areas just because the workbench is considered a "table." Please please PLEASE give us the ability to tell them where NOT to live, even if you don't do any of the other stuff!

Last edited:
Well, we got the first part of this suggestion with the 1.3.5 update. However, being able to block houses would still be nice.

One thing that's missing from this suggestion is a banner for open housing. I hate finding out that housing that I thought was good had been invalidated somehow only when I notice noone's moving in to it and spend the effort to use the query button. Full support to all of the above, too.

Actually, better option: Change the current workbenches to "small tables" and make a new workbench out of just one material that doesn't count as a "table."

Back
Top Bottom