tAPI [Discontinued] tAPI - A Mod To Make Mods

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will tapi be updated for 1.3? Or is this going to be the final build?
-giant wall of text incoming-
Okay, I'll be straightforward about this. One question at a time.

• tAPI r16 will be the last update for Terraria 1.2.4.1, fixing as many issues as possible.
    • tAPI r16 will be released before Terraria 1.3 gets released, or on the same day. There is no point in keeping it unreleased afterwards.
    • tAPI r16 will require ALL MODS to be rebuilt. Can't be skipped, due to the split of tAPI.exe into tAPI.exe and tAPI Core.dll.
    • tAPI r16 should keep working after the 1.3 update, but it won't have any of the 1.3 content/mechanics/code.
    • We don't have any estimates on tAPI for 1.3.
    • Truth be told, we can't even say if tAPI will be continued. There may or may not be plans for official modding in future versions of Terraria to keep the game alive (it just makes sense for Re-Logic to consider that), and we don't plan on competing; if there was supposed to be, say, Terraria 1.3.1 with official modding API, tAPI would stop having a reason to exist, so until we know at least this much, no work towards a 1.3 release will be done.
    • If we decide to continue with tAPI, it most likely will get rewritten once again. And most likely won't have much support from @Yoraiz0r, who just doesn't have time nor the energy to continue working on it, considering how busy he is with Terraria itself. Not to mention the rest of the devs (including me) are busy with their life too. More regarding this issue below.
    • If tAPI does get a rewrite, it'll most likely drop support for 32-bit machines - it has problems handling multiple mods at once on Terraria 1.2.4.1... I'm scared of thinking how bad 1.3 will be with all the new content. Dropping 32-bit support would let us use much more memory, possibly increasing the amount of mods you could load or world size.
    • Another thing is the possible (lack) of Linux / OSX support. None of the devs (other than @MiraiMai I guess, due to her Windows setup being broken) use these. Also, that would require us to move onto Mono, causing some optimization problems. Another thing that would need to be done is handling mods for each OS. That would most likely require all mods to be pure open source (currently you have a way of releasing your mods as just .tapimod, which doesn't include the source (well, unless you decompile it, which wouldn't be very hard)).
    • One last issue is our lack of time/will to commit to tAPI. I personally would rather not revive tAPI for Terraria 1.3, unless we get permission from Re-Logic to use a public github repository for hosting code. That would mean everyone could participate in the project and see the "original" (tAPI, not original Terraria - this one would still be the decompiled version) code without decompiling it, with all variable names, comments, constants, formatting, file organization, etc. I truly doubt anyone would get officially allowed to do that though, as we'd still be exposing Terraria's code.

To get the name of the Guide, I use NPC.firstNPCName(22) which seems to work fine for me.
Thanks! That did the trick. I'm guessing that 'Main.chrName[##]' was the old way of doing it, and has been made redundant in newer updates.

I'm saddened to hear that tAPI may be discontinued. I've learnt loads about coding from my time modding, and it would be sad to say to people that they would have to miss out on the 1.3 content to play community mods.

On the other hand, it would be even greater to have official mod support, even if it meant that I needed to port my mods. If Re-Logic ever finalises updates for Terraria, official mod support would make a really nice final farewell.

Okay, I'll be straightforward about this. One question at a time.

• tAPI r16 will be the last update for Terraria 1.2.4.1, fixing as many issues as possible.
    • tAPI r16 will be released before Terraria 1.3 gets released, or on the same day. There is no point in keeping it unreleased afterwards.
    • tAPI r16 will require ALL MODS to be rebuilt. Can't be skipped, due to the split of tAPI.exe into tAPI.exe and tAPI Core.dll.
    • tAPI r16 should keep working after the 1.3 update, but it won't have any of the 1.3 content/mechanics/code.
    • We don't have any estimates on tAPI for 1.3.
    • Truth be told, we can't even say if tAPI will be continued. There may or may not be plans for official modding in future versions of Terraria to keep the game alive (it just makes sense for Re-Logic to consider that), and we don't plan on competing; if there was supposed to be, say, Terraria 1.3.1 with official modding API, tAPI would stop having a reason to exist, so until we know at least this much, no work towards a 1.3 release will be done.
    • If we decide to continue with tAPI, it most likely will get rewritten once again. And most likely won't have much support from @Yoraiz0r, who just doesn't have time nor the energy to continue working on it, considering how busy he is with Terraria itself. Not to mention the rest of the devs (including me) are busy with their life too. More regarding this issue below.
    • If tAPI does get a rewrite, it'll most likely drop support for 32-bit machines - it has problems handling multiple mods at once on Terraria 1.2.4.1... I'm scared of thinking how bad 1.3 will be with all the new content. Dropping 32-bit support would let us use much more memory, possibly increasing the amount of mods you could load or world size.
    • Another thing is the possible (lack) of Linux / OSX support. None of the devs (other than @MiraiMai I guess, due to her Windows setup being broken) use these. Also, that would require us to move onto Mono, causing some optimization problems. Another thing that would need to be done is handling mods for each OS. That would most likely require all mods to be pure open source (currently you have a way of releasing your mods as just .tapimod, which doesn't include the source (well, unless you decompile it, which wouldn't be very hard)).
    • One last issue is our lack of time/will to commit to tAPI. I personally would rather not revive tAPI for Terraria 1.3, unless we get permission from Re-Logic to use a public github repository for hosting code. That would mean everyone could participate in the project and see the "original" (tAPI, not original Terraria - this one would still be the decompiled version) code without decompiling it, with all variable names, comments, constants, formatting, file organization, etc. I truly doubt anyone would get officially allowed to do that though, as we'd still be exposing Terraria's code.
Since this is the last update for terraria why dont you guys update this for one last time :(

what date for 1.3 tapi
[DOUBLEPOST=1435766467,1435766411][/DOUBLEPOST]terraria will be worked on by a small but different team no worries
[DOUBLEPOST=1435766562][/DOUBLEPOST]its not released r16 will it be for 1.3 and 1.2.4.1 .

Since this is the last update for terraria why dont you guys update this for one last time :(
I'm pretty sure the post should be perfectly clear.

what date for 1.3 tapi
u so funy m8
Not gonna think such posts are even serious. You just can't be THAT ignorant to not read the post ABOVE.

its not released r16 will it be for 1.3 and 1.2.4.1 .
r16 is already up for 1.2.4.1, we had no time to post a changelog though.

I'm pretty sure the post should be perfectly clear.

u so funy m8
Not gonna think such posts are even serious. You just can't be THAT ignorant to not read the post ABOVE.

r16 is already up for 1.2.4.1, we had no time to post a changelog though.

oh no estimate got it
[DOUBLEPOST=1435767004,1435766829][/DOUBLEPOST]i need a standalone fancy cheat menu for 1.3 for ingame purposes does anyone have

Reading through the letter of the modding rules, I see no reason why a script, a decompiler executable and a diff patch (creating a buildable terraria) would not be allowed. No code would be published (aside from the stuff I wrote, that is), and I'm sure I could come up with a git-able delta sytem + patcher allowing for public tAPI-like development.

I'm not sure how all this magical legal thinking started happening, but I definitely do not think it makes for a healthy and mature modding community.
I'm willing to actually look at making this, provided there are people that could be interested in something like that (and I can get at least a passing OK from the devs)

When I open tAPI.exe, I see that message: "Update mandatory (r16)".
Should I update to the newest version? Is it better for me, if I download the update for tAPI?

Last edited:
When I open tAPI.exe, I see that message: "Update mandatory (r16)".
Should I update to the newest version? Is it better for me, if I download the update for tAPI?
99% of the time a newer version is better. Usually less bugs and more features.

I can't wait to be able to mod minecarts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom