Do Ice Bats and Spiked Ice Slimes go extinct in Hardmode?

Laluzi

Skeletron
The wiki says both become uncommon, but I've been parked in an underground ice arena for an extremely long time. Shaving off a few tally-counter kills that might have taken place at the start of hardmode, I've used this arena to kill 1500 ice tortoises, 2800 icy mermen, 2850 armored skeletons, 230 cyan beetles, and maybe 900 snow flinxes. This arena has yielded 4 frozen keys, which is actually pretty unlucky for the amount of death that's taken place here. Point being, I've been here long enough to filter out RNG from the equation. I've gotten dozens of nymphs and undead miners.

In all of this time, I haven't seen a single spiked ice slime or ice bat. Plenty of giant bats and even a few cave bats, but no ice bats. Meanwhile, I have an identical arena in pre-hardmode which spawns these enemies quite regularly.

If the spawn rates for these truly are zero, I think they should be slipped back in, with about the same frequency as hardmode undead Vikings. I understand why Wall Creepers obsolete, but in this case it feels like a loss of diversity rather than a difficulty spike. (Nor do analogous enemies like hellbats or spiked jungle slimes ever vanish from the game.)

They shouldn't have a complete 0% chance of spawning in HM.

Only enemy that really gets replaced in Hardmode is the giant worm for the digger. Even then the digger still has the same drop and banner as the giant worm.

I think it is just bad luck overall. With the addition of many new enemies in HM. It probably makes it less likely to appear.

To be sure. I'll also try for myself to ensure these enemies still spawn in HM when I can.

Please - I'd love for someone else to test this. I've been doing this for so long that I really can't draw any other conclusion, but more data can't hurt. (I'd forgotten about the diggers, mainly because yeah, they have the same name on the tally counter as their predecessor. Which isn't the case for wall creepers, but wall creepers have the statue to keep their banners from obsoletion.)

I mainly bring this up because if the spawn rates actually are zero, I'm assuming it's an oversight and should be fixed.

I explored the Hardmode Underground Ice Biome for 12+ mins, and also have not seen any Ice Bats or Spiked Ice Slimes.

I did another five hours tonight. Still nothing. Up to 4000 armored vikings now.

Perhaps I should post this (or move the thread, if you'd be so kind) to bug reports.

They're definitely gone, yeah.
When I'm in the underground of the snow biome, the only guys I see are toxic slimes and possessed armours, e.g. guys that belong in the regular underground.
I don't mind not seeing ice bats/spiked ice slimes in the caverns, but these guys could at least appear in the underground.

From what I can gather from the code is that Spiked Ice Slimes indeed disappear come Hardmode, and that Ice Bats get replaced by Ice Elementals. Mother Slimes also seem to go extinct in Hardmode for the same reason as Spiked Ice Slimes.

Back
Top Bottom