Console Dual Threat: Terraria is Coming to Wii U and 3DS

Status
Not open for further replies.
We might not get dyes? I could understand not having like, 1.3's special dyes, but none at all seems kinda odd, that's one of the bigger things of the game for me, is having dyes.

Unfortunately, there are always going to be certain compromises made in bringing this game to the 3DS. Maybe its something we'll return to post launch if it really turns out to be a deal breaker for people. It'll need a rethink of the Equip screen, certainly. There's already a lot to show on there on the (relatively) small bottom screen.

I'm sure I can manage without it, but I am a little curious as to what causes this limitation. Is it something like, the game is having trouble with loading character appearances, and dyes would make that even harder?

Unfortunately, there are always going to be certain compromises made in bringing this game to the 3DS. Maybe its something we'll return to post launch if it really turns out to be a deal breaker for people. It'll need a rethink of the Equip screen, certainly. There's already a lot to show on there on the (relatively) small bottom screen.
Taking another look at the equipment menu on the bottom screen, if you're worried about space, scrolling could always be applied to it. Perhaps others won't see that as such a straight solution, but I don't think any clarity would be lost through doing so. In its current state, there also doesn't appear to be any vanity accessory slots either, though a quick review through Terraria's update notes show that visible accessories weren't even a thing until 1.2.3, so I suppose that's a bit ahead of things.

Taking another look at the equipment menu on the bottom screen, if you're worried about space, scrolling could always be applied to it. Perhaps others won't see that as such a straight solution, but I don't think any clarity would be lost through doing so. In its current state, there also doesn't appear to be any vanity accessory slots either, though a quick review through Terraria's update notes show that visible accessories weren't even a thing until 1.2.3, so I suppose that's a bit ahead of things.
If the reason dyes don't work is what I think it is, visible accessories might be even harder to add than dyes, especially with putting dyes on those. I may be wrong though.

We've got hideable vanity items, it's just the dyes that are missing.

Scrollable UI screens are a bit messy IMO. In some instances, such as the main inventory, you can't really avoid it. We also have rules for how big a touchable icon needs to be on screen, with the idea being that most things need to finger navigable instead of needing a stylus.

Without getting too boring on the business side, we have a release window in mind for the game. We have a list of content, and we decide what we think is most important to the overall experience for launch. Bear in mind that even the PC version took time to evolve to where it's at today, and we're intending to update post launch on 3DS so it's not a one-shot deal.

I can only apologise if something you value more highly than us misses the initial cut, but I hope you still give the game a chance.

Wait so no biome backgrounds? I thought they'd be there, just not in 3D.

We have those. They're in that last video, aren't they? They won't have been in the first video that did the rounds because they weren't ready at that point.

If the reason dyes don't work is what I think it is, visible accessories might be even harder to add than dyes, especially with putting dyes on those. I may be wrong though.

As well as the UI being a massive pain, I'd need to check how the PC version handles dyed items. If they are basically held in RAM as a separate coloured version, we'd run into difficulties there on 3DS for sure.

Scrollable UI screens are a bit messy IMO. In some instances, such as the main inventory, you can't really avoid it. We also have rules for how big a touchable icon needs to be on screen, with the idea being that most things need to finger navigable instead of needing a stylus.
Another idea (coming from someone with no professional experience with UI design) that I can see, if you're keen to avoid scrolling UI, would be to have highlightable icons next to the name of the equipment type (clothes and accessories) that, when tapped, swap out the slots for the appropriate replacement as indicated by the highlightable icon, with these icons being vanity and dyes, should the latter ever make it into the game.

Of course, as I stated, I'm no expert, and you're likely to have already thought of this at some point. I simply thought that it wouldn't hurt to at least put it out there.

I can only apologise if something you value more highly than us misses the initial cut, but I hope you still give the game a chance.
I don't think anything short of a game breaking glitch could keep me away from this port. Despite my eagerness to play this, I still have realistic expectations and completely understand that many things simply aren't going to be possible, given the 3DS provides a mere 96MB of RAM to games. It's amazing how much CodeGlue and 505 have managed to pull off so far.

As well as the UI being a massive pain, I'd need to check how the PC version handles dyed items. If they are basically held in RAM as a separate coloured version, we'd run into difficulties there on 3DS for sure.
Dyes don't actually require any extra sprites or graphics, they simply apply a color overlay. That's why on some darker colored things, the dyes barely make a difference.

You know, like if you've ever played Super Scribblenauts, and you create an object with a color modifier, it just has an overlay, not a separate graphic. It works like that.

As Nike noted, Deanzor can easily get the real answer directly. :)

Haha what? There's no way that recolored versions of items are filed under different ID's. That'd be crazy! ...Uh, is there actually a chance that the game was built like that?

I'm sorry if this was already answered but I have a question about the grappling hook so is it gonna be like the Xbox 360 where you click a button and it grapples or do you need to have it in use.

I'm sorry if this was already answered but I have a question about the grappling hook so is it gonna be like the Xbox 360 where you click a button and it grapples or do you need to have it in use.
Although the video is a bit old by now and possibly outdated, the controls listed in Family Gamer TV's first Terraria 3DS video show that the 'A' button is bound to 'Interact / Grapple'. In other words: Yes, it has a button.

We discussed world size before, but I don't recall this detail: are the worlds smaller than in the mobile phone version?
I'm pretty sure they said that they are still trying to see what is possible. If I had to guess I would go with smaller though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom