Other Literature Even Darker-er: The Re-Darkening: Zero

Next episode will be going up either Sunday or Monday.

Spoiler alert: If you think things were going super well so far, this next one is sure to rustle your jimmies.

Edit: I'd give you guys a real spoiler but it'd spoil everything.

I went to the dentist today for a root canal, and didn't work on this too much today, so have a spoiler.

h1AqAia.jpg

Nah, just kidding. For a REAL ACTUAL spoiler, open at own risk.

UZPkfvz.jpg

I said that this episode wouldn't be so heavy on Dialogue, but I actually couldn't resist putting lots of story / dialogue into it, and will have less screenshots than anticipated.

Let me know if you guys prefer more screenshots to less story, or less screenshots and more story.

The episode will comprise of Weeks 4, 5, 6, and 7 (So 4 dungeons) and will likely go up....Tuesday night or Wednesday morning. Maybe earlier if I feel better. Maybe later if I don't.

Last edited:
Had a rough week and didn't finish it. (I'm working on it, just haven't finished it.) Work's been particularly exhausting and some days I come home and actually just eat chips and salsa for like 5 hours. I'll finish it up and post it probably like Sunday or Monday, since those are my days off and I'll be able to focus on it.

Right now I have weeks 4 and 5 done writing / editing, and will do the other two weeks soon. Apologies to the delays for anyone who's super eager to read on.

Now, in typical fashion, I will buy your forgiveness by posting spoilers. Don't question it, it works.

Spoiler 1: I didn't run out of torches. I completely forgot to pack them. Some might call me a dumb, but it's an interesting plot device.
PudhE5I.jpg

Spoiler 2: Omnir is a leper.

So I named one after him in the game.

utmSs55.jpg

Uh, I see two Jesters in there. Matsu the Jester better have learned how to clone himself or my salt will flow.

3f9b0c80730119f2b3c63b5be88bb526.jpg

:dryadwink:

Also, we haven't been getting any healers (Actually none other than Haru and Bucket), so our team composition is a bit uh...skewed.

Look, new episode!

Haru looked around the Hamlet. The buildings were shaping up a little bit, and the small trickle of new adventurers breathed a small amount of life into the otherwise desolate area. She knew she would need to head out soon, to chart out unfamiliar territories. The more of the surrounding areas they explored, the more insight they could gain as to what forces drive the evils plaguing this place.

Reynauld and Dismas told her of the place they cut through in order to get to the Hamlet. A forest forgotten by civilization itself. Lurking with so many dangers that people have remained unsuccessful in charting it. A place that nobody even knows the size of. Sprawling wilderness as far as the eye can see, as if Mother Nature had assumed direct control in making sure that this particular patch of woodlands remained unmarred by the influences of man. The ruins were treacherous, but the thought of braving this new peril was enough to make Haru shudder. However, the new recruits seemed eager. Too eager. Foolhardy even.

Haru approached the glaive-wielding woman, whose demeanor boasted an air of confidence that was both misplaced, but somehow appreciated by Haru. Crystal, she called herself. Not too far behind her, having arrived on the stagecoach with her, was another Crusader. At least, Haru assumed he was a crusader, as his armor bore a striking resemblance to Reynauld's. He called himself MoloMech, and did not seem to be a man of many words. Strong and silent, Haru had figured.

With much of the team currently busy and disposed of, Haru would have to make do with the new recruits, who seemed confident enough, but would their will of fire be enough?
This Hellion, as she calls herself, seems to be a bit too confident for my liking. Boisterous and loud, she swings her weapon with a surprising lack of precision, but equally surprising power. However, their confidence puts me on edge. Overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer, after all.

_______

It seems apparent that the Weald itself does not want us to progress any further than we have been. Before we hardly got a hundred yards into it, did a massive overgrowth of vines and thorns block our path. It took hours to clear out. It would have been easier if we had the foresight to pack tool to help ease our burden. Without tools, we had nothing but flesh and bone. The aura of confidence had considerably dwindled, replaced with an uneasy tension, as it already began to grow dark. The canopy above, combined with the setting sun, had quickly let us know of the danger we found ourselves in.

_______

It seems MoloMech came prepared with Holy Water. He seems well versed in religious rituals, as he had the knowledge to pour Holy Water into a religious altar, which glowed with a soothing light. With a small grunt of approval, it was as if he gained some sort of insight from this action. Curious...I may have to try that if I dare spend hard-earned coin to procure some Holy Water.
The creatures Haru and the others encountered were quite unusual. Haru recalled the skeletons in the ruins, but the skeletons in the Weald seemed to be a bit different. As she approached them, some manner of sentient slime sprang to life, covering the bones. The slime molded around the bones, joining them together not too unlike tendons. The party was confused, but curious. Bucket, the resident Occultist, mused that maybe the slime needed the skeleton to act as some sort of sturdy support, in order to effectively combat. What was more unusual, is that when a slime was felled, it deteriorated to a puddle. However, if any other slimes were nearby, they would split off to help the fallen one to regain its form and continue combat, without losing any mass.

uiUtIFy.jpg

Any sort of researcher would love to discover how the slimes could share mass, but without actually losing mass itself. Some sort of strange reproductive cycle at owork, maybe? Our adventurers were not there to study the native flora and fauna, however.
MoloMech led the way, trying to chart and mentally plan a path for the party. As he was the only one wearing any meaningful armor, the group found it prudent to leave him in the front.

"Halt" He spoke, as he kneeled down. A thick, silvery strand of webbing in his hand as he stood back up. "Spiders. Big ones. Be on guard."

Haru shuddered at hearing this, muttering under her breath as she followed closely behind Crystal. "I hate spiders..."

No sooner than she uttered those words, than did her biggest fear come true. Barring their path was a massive, surprisingly ornate spider web, littered with spiders. Not small ones either.

jPsiX9f.jpg

"T-they're as big as a dog!" Haru spoke out, trembling at the sight of them.

"Steady now...a dog or a bull, nothing is a match for my blade!" Shouted Crystal, charging forth. She struck one down with relative ease, but a particularly nasty one leapt with surprising agility, sinking sharp fangs directly into her shoulder, sending her reeling.

"Gods DAMN it!" She called out, grabbing one of its legs and jerking it away from her shoulder, blood flowing out. She felt a burning sensation long after the spider's fangs left her skin, a venom spreading through her. She felt a bit dizzy, but a dosage of antivenom was enough to dull and neutralize the toxins.

MoloMech took advantage of the situation, and was quick to dispatch several spiders with a few very well placed chops. Crystal also gave a retaliatory thrust of her glaive, making short work of the remaining creatures.

"...Hate spiders." Haru said, nodding to punctuate the statement, as she tried to calm her nerves after the encounter. They continued their trek through the overgrown forest, trying to remember the path they took, lest they get lost and overwhelmed by the various inhabitants.
The enthusiasm is all but gone. The newcomers have been shown the horrors the await us all. Tensions are running high, responses are getting snappy. Where confidence once was, now fear and uncertainty lingers. I worry for Crystal. The way her grip shakes as she holds her weapon now. The bold shell that hides insecurity and fear within. But she continues on, her jokes and humor forced with her voice shaking, but eliciting equally forced laughs from us all. Even a fake laugh to break the silence, otherwise deafening.
The Weald is host to many unusual creatures and plants. Noneso more unusual than the various types of fungal presences found within them. Unfortunately, Crystal unwillingly made a discovery that didn't help their state of minds any. She'd strayed a bit too far from the path the others were walking, and triggered a most unusual trap. It would appear that certain fungi have adapted predator-like qualities, as well as defense mechanisms. As she approached, too lost in her own thoughts, the fungus emitted a shrieking noise, and a cloud of spores erupted from them, directly in Crystal's vicinity. The realization that even plants she considered docile and harmless would be hellbent on inflicting injury was more than she could handle. Her body shook, as it seemed like the spores contained some sort hysteria-inducing properties. Her pupils dilated, the light itself seemed to terrify her. She cried out, a horrific scream...and just like that fell silent. She shook still, but it seemed like the immediate danger had passed. The spores had no negative effect on her physically, but it seemed like her resolve had all but crumbled.
mbIfYe6.jpg
We need to get out of here or we will all perish. The mushrooms that had released the toxins at Crystal must have surely attracted unwanted attention. Corpses, shambling of their own accord, rose up from beneath beds of mushrooms. The spores had filled their lungs, parasitic fungi had assumed control of whatever muscles the corpses had that wasn't decomposed. This is the fate that awaits us here. There is nothing else but this, for our end. Human remains, walking on hands and feet like a dog, but looking closer to a spider with a hulking mass of mushrooms erupting from its back. Empty eye sockets staring into our souls, waiting to make us their unwilling hosts. Releasing gas that burned our insides to breathe them in. Nicknamed "Artilleries" by Crystal, as they preferred to stay in the back and strike us with spines that attracted more ire and attacks.

We need to flee. I don't want to be here. I don't want to be a part of this.
ubSJUxy.jpg
Humans were not the only creatures that fell victim to the treachery in the weald. The women in the party were thoroughly broken by the terrors, whereas the men tried to project a false bravado to keep spirits high. But they soon became aware that they were being followed. Stalked even. Haru was the first to notice them, and alert the party to their presence. She'd cried out in fear, as a pack of vicious dogs, or at least what once were dogs, advanced on their position. Their skin was tattered, bones were exposed, and the adventurers had difficulty discerning whether they were living or dead. Reanimated or barely surviving, holding onto any thread of life, as animal instincts drive them to continue living.

But for such pathetic looking creatures, they were fast. Able to leap and strike with surprising force and agility, with a jaw that certainly was host to many terrible diseases. As they struck, the party struggled to withstand their power and speed, nearly crumbling under the intense pressure alone, setting aside the possibilities that their bodies could not withstand. They were buckling under the stress, and it was MoloMech who soon fell victim to the sheer weight on his psyche.
ry0Xocn.jpg
"Is that the best you got!? Come on, hit me!" shouted MoloMech, as the dogs lunged, circling the party. He walked forth, showing no fear, but an incredible amount of haphazard. The dogs focused their attention on him. Whether this was an act of heroism or stupidity has yet to be determined, though Haru decided it was surely the latter, as he refused to have his wounds tended to by Bucket.

"No! A wound this incredible would surely leave an impressive battle scar.." Came MoloMech's response.

"You fool..." Bucket had said to himself, the effort of preparing his magicks gone to waste by the foolhardy crusader, who thought it upon himself to fight all of the dogs on his own. Eventually, the dogs had lost interest in him, and instead turned suddenly on Haru, who screamed as her arm had received a particularly nasty gash.

"Mmm...your cries of pain are like angel-song to my ears," MoloMech had said under his breath, much to Bucket's annoyance, who was becoming quite skeptical of his motives.
g29Quet.jpg

"You cannot even control your own thoughts, weakling!" shouted Bucket, making the party jump as such a loud noise comes from someone who normally remained so quiet.

As the party fought and squabbled amongst themselves, Crystal had slain most of the dogs, protected by Haru's divine powers and prayers. They were afraid, but not so helpless to let themselves become a meal. They'd had enough and wanted to go back to the Hamlet. MoloMech, once most of the dogs were dispatched, realized he would not be receiving any more "battle scars," managed to deflect the last dog's attack, countering by slicing the head clean off of its body.

"Let's go...I think we got what we came for." Haru had said, but didn't elaborate on what they came for. Or what they got. But what they kept was their lives. Their resolves shattered, their bodies bleeding, but they were on their way "home."
The trek home was quiet. Eerily quiet. We'd managed to settle down, but we didn't want to speak to each other. We didn't want to speak at all. We didn't want to speak of this ever again. I don't trust MoloMech, but he seems to be in slightly better spirits, and in a slightly better state of mind. Slightly. He spoke of all the pain they might be able to give him in the Brothel, to satisfy his urge to see his own blood. I don't have the heart to tell him they might not exactly be willing to satisfy those deviant tendencies. I think he'll learn on his own.

The silence was broken by Crystal, as the Hamlet came into our view. Her voice was uncharacteristically quiet, and she mused that maybe we should have brought something to help us get through nature's barricades. We all gave a half-hearted laugh, even MoloMech. Even fake laughs feel nice.

Sera sat in the stagecoach, folding her arms. Though nobody could see, she had an annoyed expression on her face. "Why do I have to babysit" she thought to herself, as she stared at three new faces, all of which sat across from her in the stagecoach, as they traveled to the Weald.

With the disaster that the last expedition had brought, the team didn't have many other options. So she was stuck with three completely new people. Directly across from her, a big, burly soldier. A shield almost as tall as she was, a mace with a head bigger than her own. She let a small "Tch" noise escape her lips, drawing the attention of the other two passengers. The veteran, thrice her age likely, did not seem to hear her. The ones who did, however, were clowns. Well, "jesters" they had called themselves. One in a bright garb, the other in a much more dreary palette.

Tragedy and Comedy, they introduced themselves as. Partners in crime. Sera shook her head with a slight amount of annoyance. She never did like clowns, but this was her team. It was her job to make sure they got back to the Hamlet alive, so she made sure that their trip into the Weald was a very short one. She let her mind go back to Haru, who was currently the first occupant into the sanitarium, for a very violent case of the runs. Sera couldn't help but smirk at the thought. She then remembered at MoloMech being evicted and subsequently forbade entry from the brothel for masochistic tendencies, and let out a clearly audible snicker. Ryan refused to leave the Brothel, and Crystal threw a fit because he was hogging all of the workers there. So that's why she was stuck watching these new recruits cut their teeth on a simple mission.
The rain began to come down harder as the stagecoach stopped and dropped them off, then subsequently turn around and disappear into the distance on the now-muddy path. Nothing stirring in the Weald other than Sera, Dr. C the veteran Man-at-Arms, and the dynamic duo of Torteval and Matsu, tragedy and comedy, respectively.

"You and you, no funny business." Sera pointed accusingly at the jesters, an index finger extended for each of them. She was annoyed enough at having to babysit, she was not in the mood for clown shenanigans. "You...you're alright." She gave a nod to Dr. C, looking most assuredly more imposing than anyone else present.
I didn't know what I expected out of them, being new recruits, but they seemed decently capable...maybe.

"Alright. Get the torches, Matsu." I instructed to the clown currently fussing around with his green and red outfit.

"Yes, ma'am!" He saluted me. I narrowed my eyes a little bit. It's going to be a long trek, isn't it? "Bad news, boss...the torches are unusable..."

Unusable? How could this be? Surely they made sure to keep the sack closed to prevent water from damaging, it right? I found my answer when I walked closer to inspect it...no. All of the torches were soaked. Not a single one usable in the lot. I felt my anger rising, but I looked up at the sky...torches wouldn't be too useful anyway. The rain was falling harder and harder, any torch we would be able to light would be extinguished soon after. But any light was better than no light right?

fIRGEUx.jpg

"It's fine. Be on guard. The rain will deter certain foes, but I'm sure others will be attracted." I'd told them, trying to be supportive and keep morale high. But it seemed like their morale remained largely unaffected as it is. We continued on a very inconspicuous path, hardly visible but it seemed like it was a path. Eventually, the rain stopped, and with that, the Weald was silent except our footsteps. I didn't like it. The silence was deafening. But there seemed to be a caveat to this.

I can't explain it, but it seemed as if it was easier to see treasure. As if, without the light to distract us, we could see that the treasure was faintly glowing in the blackness of the night. Within several hours, our sacks were overloaded with trinkets, heirlooms, and gold. What a case of dumb luck. No creatures anywhere, but we'd already nearly tripled what we spent to fund this supposedly-doomed expedition. Things were looking very fortunate, much to Matsu's delight. He spoke of going to the Brothel. "Ah-hah! The irony in that in the darkest hour of the night, fortune shines brighter than anything!"

The gloomy one, Torteval, remained quiet. Not a word was spoken. Quiet except for the jingling of coin in our purses, and rattle of Dr. C's armor.

A couple hours later, still no creatures to be seen, and the clouds had dissipated, to leave us with an eerie view of the moon. Then, Dr. C halted suddenly, causing Matsu to crash into him. The burly soldier didn't even notice. Or seem to notice.

"Stop...something fast approached...ready yourselves!" He shouted suddenly, withdrawing his weapon from his holder and turning around. Before I had time to even turn around, I sensed something was there. Something sinister, and overwhelming pressure on my very soul. When I faced the source of this negative energy, my heart sank. Moonlight reflected off of the figure, and where its head should be was a skull, encased in some sort of torture device, I assumed. Robes cloaked the rest of its body, and when I looked downwards, I noted there was no feet. The creature was floating several inches off of the ground, looking positively ghastly as it soundlessly drifted towards us, bringing with it a cold wind.

"Never fear, for I, Matsu, will strike down the enemy with a single blow!" He leapt into action with surprising speed, while laughing, and sank his knife into the creature's chest. It was a devastating blow, and strangely enough, blood seeped out of the wound as Matsu withdrew the blade. Encouraged by his vigor we unloaded several vicious attacks. We felt victorious even though the battle hadn't started.

sxjql56.jpg

A glimmer of red from the creature's eye, and the motion of its cloak were all we saw, before a blinding flash of light. When we'd recovered, we saw several floating objects. As our eyes adjusted, we discovered they seemed to be disembodied heads of some sort. It was unsettling to us. 3 of them, each more grotesque than the last. Within a second of appearing, they attacked. An apparition, that we thought was harmless, had managed to gravely wound both of the clowns. A gash down both of their chests, before they even had time to realize they were hurt.

ilfF7lW.jpg

Dr. C shouted something, what could have been a retreat, but I didn't hear it. A few moments later, he grabbed my arm and easily jerked me away from the creature. The jesters, gravely wounded, were still full of such adrenaline that their bodies hadn't even realized how lucky they were to be alive...and rich! Though a great deal of this money will end up going to wound care, as well as funding the brothel trip that Matsu is sure to need.

gcBLRkv.jpg

I hate clowns.

The clowns are doing fine to recover from their wounds. Sorry, the "jesters." They consider it terribly derogatory to call them clowns, and I wouldn't want them to be laughed at. It only took a few days and intensive healing, but they were back to their old selves. Matsu went to pray, and Torteval decided to take some time to quietly meditate. Even Crystal was finally relieving stress, now that Ryan managed to take himself out of the Brothel for a decent moment.

But myself? I'd hardly a chance to recuperate from my ordeal, than I was requested to help field another expedition. The team was quickly recognizing me as a bit of an expert on the ruins. But even experts need to rest, yeah?
The team this time around was Reynauld, Dismas, and Sera, returning to the ruins. They were joined, however, by an interesting fellow. Omnir, he called himself. He was a religious type, a god-fearing type. Sufferer of a terrible case of leprosy, he wore a mask as both a service to himself, and to his allies. Lest they become uncomfortable around his appearance, and lest he become uncomfortable with his allies viewing it. It greatly put Sera's mind at ease to be with the ever-capable Reynauld and Dismas, but strangely enough, she was comfortable with the thought of being back in the ruins.

She felt as if she knew the ruins better, and despite her stress over last week's horrific expedition, she felt confident. Not too confident, but just confident enough. Enough to make her feel like the party won't die a horrible death that is.

And it seems like her confidence was pretty well placed. Despite not having any healing magic to support her expedition, it seemed like any foe they encountered were quickly enough dispatched to not cause any sort of grief to them. Sera was tactical, though. Tactical and calculating. Disorienting blasts to ensure ranged targets were temporarily out of commission, repeatedly attacking vital points with poisonous blasts. Sera was coming into her own as an expert of the horrors faced in this forsaken place.

Omnir proved himself to be a worth and interesting addition to their team, as well...
sVYcYdO.jpg
"Omnir, I don't think you should be touching that." Reynauld warned, as Omnir fiddled about with a station that appeared quite alchemic in design. "I'm telling you, you shouldn't do it..."

Omnir blatantly ignored Reynauld in favor of his own foray into scientific study. After several moments of tweaking various beakers and bottles, Omnir pulled a bowl of medicinal herbs he had tucked away on his person. Carefully he pushed the herbal mixture into a test tube, and slowly adjusted the heat. It simmered for a few minutes, and then, after a rather loud banging noise, the herbs had disappeared, and what was left, in another beaker, was gold.

"How did you even...?" Reynauld asked with confusion, while Dismas' eyes showed curiosity for the first time in this endeavor, at the glint of gold.

"It's just science." Omnir replied shortly, as they continued on. The monsters were no match for the team's weapons, as they seemed empowered and ready for the monsters. Stronger, more confident, with better weapons to boot. After an unventful fight, they stopped at a cabinet. It was quickly surmised that it was locked, after Dismas had hastily tried to pry it open for valuables.

Omnir, however, had began to meticulously investigate it as he did with the alchemy station. The team, putting trust into him, watched as he investigated the lock, and then the glass.

"Do you think you can get it open?" Dismas asked, shifting his weight a little uncertainly, as if he expected an answer he didn't like.

"Of course I can...just give me a bit more time..." Omnir circled the cabinet slowly, before retreating to their pack of supplies. He pulled out a shovel, and Dismas cocked his head, and then his eyes lit up.

"Of course, you can use the shovel to pry open the ---" He didn't even have time to finish his sentence, because just then, Omnir figured out the mystery of the cabinet. Forcibly. With a shovel. A huge crash echoed down the otherwise quiet halls, as Omnir had smashed the shovel right into the cabinet, spreading shards of glass and wood around the floor. Gold coins were splayed all over the floor, some rolling away, never to be seen again. Omnir discarded the shovel, now broken in half, and picked up his sack as the party fumbled over the gold coins and to salvage the valuables they could find.

"Science."
With coin in hand, looking hale and hearty, the team decided that this trip into the ruins was a success. Nobody was severely injured, no healing needed. Even Sera's stress had began to wane as a result of being in the ruins, it's almost like she enjoyed it. The discovery, the mystery, even the danger.
iwbrvzH.jpg

Sera decided to meditate on her discoveries and realizations when she got back to the Hamlet with the others. She felt herself being drawn more and more by the mysteries of the ruins, and she was determined to find out what the secret was. She believed she was on the bring of discovery, about the creatures that lay within.

Reynauld was impressed with Omnir's unorthodox method of swordsmanship, and the two of them sparred together, believing they could learn much from each other's skills and practice. The Hamlet definitely seemed a lot more lively as of late, and things were finally looking good for our brave union of explorers.

Another party sent to the Weald. This time, it was Matsu, Torteval, Dr. C, and a newcomer. Linkboy84 was what he was called. He appeared to be a prisoner of some descript, tattered rags were his wear, though covered in chains and bondages. He spoke of a grave horror he kept within himself, making the party wary, but it didn't stop Matsu from relentlessly poking fun at him whenever it was convenient.

"Why do they call you Linkboy? Is it because you have so many chain links adorning your body?" Matsu flicked the chains, making a little jingle.

"No." Linkboy84 responded, both uninterested and unperturbed by this Jester's antics.

"Why is there a number?" Matsu danced around a little in front of Linkboy84's path, who sidestepped and walked right past him.

"It's the number they assigned me." Came the response, making Matsu's face contort into a little pout, as he realized his efforts to rile up the newcomer were being expertly deflected. He shrugged though, and the party continued in silence.
It wasn't long before they realized they'd made a pretty dire mistake. A hulking mass of roots and tentacles had blocked their path, and they'd forgotten to bring shovels to clear out the debris. A collective groan could be heard from the two Jesters, as they realized they had to spend the next several hours clearing it out. It did not bode well for the morale and stress of the party. After time had passed, and their hands were wrought with several incidentally small cuts (though the stress of having to manually clear out so many roots would not soon heal) they continued on. Only to be happened upon by another pack of feral dogs.

Matsu and Torteval decided to play music in an effort to relieve stress for the coming battle. It had a small effect, but was appreciated, though Dr. C and Linkboy84 were not likely to manage the pack of rabid animals by themselves. As the two parties exchanged blows, with two jesters playing music, a monstrous howl erupted, silencing the music, as well as freezing all creatures within range. A deafening howl, echoing and bouncing off of the trees only brought silence as it ended.

Three of our heroes looked for the source of the noise. The fourth one -was- the noise. The terrifying sound of metal creaking under an extreme amount of duress pierced the otherwise silent night. As they looked on, Linkboy84, was undergoing a horrific transformation. They knew he had eldritch blood in his veins, but they could not have predicted this. Even though he was on their side, they couldn't help but feel terrified. Unsurety and uncertainty coursed through their veins faster than their blood, as their pulses quickend at witnessing such a monstrosity taking place.

The creature that lay before them in the cloak of darkness, other than glowing eyes that pierced the night was most assuredly Linkboy84, though it was much less a human, and much more akin to a wolfman. But yet, it bore the same scar that Linkboy84 himself had. The rabid dogs didn't stand a chance against something that was their superior by leaps and bounds. Linkboy84 showed no delicacy as he was able to completely shred the canines to pieces with a massive claw, howling as he, or it, did. The danger was long over, though the sound of flesh being shredded lingered for some time.

Linkboy84 eventually emerged from the darkness, covered in blood that was definitely not his own, looking almost as rattled as the rest of his comrades, but he was healthy. More than healthy, at that. It looked as though he'd just enjoyed a meal.
Matsu was the first to approach him, though it was evident he was rattled by this transformation and turn of events. "H-hey, how is it that when you transformed back, your chains aren't brok--" A blank stare let Matsu know that he probably shouldn't continue this question. The answer might not be what he was looking for. It wasn't too long, however, until more dogs approached them as they continued on the path. The crew exchanged furtive glances, stealing looks at Linkboy84's back, expecting him to transform again. He made it abundantly clear that he wasn't interested in doing that again unless their life was in grave peril.

The party was already reaching their breaking point, as another massive hurdle of vines was placed before them just prior to this attack, and they hadn't even had a chance to properly recover. Linkboy84 opened up by swinging at one of the dogs, and the crew realized just how heavy those chains were, as the feral creature's skull was struck with a thunderous blow. Matsu was stunned at the strength of Linkboy84, and made a mental note that maybe he shouldn't purposely try to attract his wrath anymore. That opening was all that a dog needed, to dive in and knock Matsu to the floor, biting deep into his side before Dr. C smashed it in the face with his shield, knocking it back.

Something inside Matsu snapped at that moment, as he noted the similarities between Linkboy84 and the very creatures that were sinking their fangs into him. Torteval was much less perturbed and much more interested in stabbing the dogs in the head. Which is exactly what he did, while Matsu's joyish demeanor crumbled in favor of a festering distrust among his allies. Long after the mutts had taken their final breath of pungent Weald air.

"We should camp...I think we could all use a little bit of a break." Dr. C suggested, sensing that the party was getting adequately stressed thanks to all of the action happening. The team agreed, though Matsu more reluctantly than the rest.

They sat around the campfire, feasted on the food they had. Matsu had prepared his own meal, for fear that it might have been poisoned by one of the others, particularly Linkboy84. He even distrusted his own friend, Torteval, who suggested they play a melody to ease the team.
Filthy animal. He smells just like the rest of the animals that attack us. He thinks I don't know. He thinks I haven't made that connection...I have. How many of his own comrades would he sacrifice to strike down his enemies? Too many, likely. I don't trust anyone that wears chains as a fashion statement. Where does he even get so many chains? Nobody knows.

There will be no sleep for me tonight, and there will be no rest for the wicked. The best way to ensure survival is to ensure your own survival, and nobody else's.
Jaeews6.jpg
"Wake up, they're almost upon us!" Dr. C had yelled out into the night, as several large spiders had attempted to strike them as they were resting and sleeping. Matsu was awake, and seemed briefly like he would have rather left his party to fend for themselves. But as he seen the spiders would hold no mercy, he realized maybe his manner of thinking had been flawed.

Dr C and Torteval shouldered the brunt of the attack, facing off against several spiders as they entered the makeshift camp. Dr. C barked commands to help rally the party to fight against the dangerous foe, as Torteval and Matsu tried to play songs to buff and reduce the stress. Linkboy84 slammed his chains down upon several spiders, earning a distasteful glare from Matsu. The lapse in concentration nearly costed Matsu his life, but instead, it costed Dr. C's blood. He intervened as a spider's fangs sank into his neck, but the poison seemed not to even affect him, as he ripped the spider off of himself and smashed it with his mace.

"Focus!" Ordered Dr. C, as Torteval sank his dirk into a spider's abdomen. It seemed like Dr. C was at his breaking point, however. His body shook as he watched his party members slowly being overwhelmed by enemies, taking such an opportune time to ambush them. "R-reinforcements! Stand firm!" His voice was quavering as he watched Torteval take an incredible hit, staggering backwards.
9JnSN1l.jpg

"Not like this!" shouted Dr. C, but Torteval was not one to crumble so easily. He got back to his feet after the blow, bruised, bleeding, and battered, but focused.

"Matsu, my friend...we need you more than ever. Fight with me, fight with us. Together we can prevail." Torteval entreated to his childhood friend. Matsu seemed to snap out of his stupor, feeling empowered by his comrade's words, and he nodded, tightening his grip on his knife. A few minutes ago, he'd felt like his friends were trying to put a knife in his back, and like he'd gladly do the same. But now he saw his purpose, the light cracking the sky, ushering in the dawn after the longest night.
BGlFyty.jpg

"You're right...it's time to end this!" Matsu leapt into action with the same vigor he showed previously, ending the final spider's life, though now the issue of the reinforcements remained. Dr. C, frantic, didn't want his wounded allies to suffer anymore for what he perceived as his own lapse in commanding. He took blow after blow, as he desparately tried to protect them. Even if it meant his own life. He'd seen too many of his soldiers die, while he grew older. Old men digging young men's graves, his heart couldn't handle this longer. He lived a full life, and wanted to ensure his comrades did as well.

As Torteval fought valiantly, dealing incredible damage to his foes, he was just one man. The artillery had shot a spore-coated spine, which would let its allies know to focus a threat. Torteval had no interest in letting this stop him, as he slashed the artillery down, though that put him in a rather precarious position. He was surrounded, flanked, and wounded. Mercilessly singled out by the enemy. And the enemy was closing in.

"So this is how it ends..." Torteval whispered under his breath as he focused on the mushroom-man approaching him, kneeling but not taking it lying down. A bitter fighter to the end, Torteval raised his weapon, ready to take the creature down with him if it was his time to go. But he didn't even see the enemy approaching from behind. He heard a skittering noise, followed by a clanging of armor. Then a rush of warm liquid on his face and eyes.

'So this is death...it's less painful than I would have expected...' he thought to himself, his vision blurred by the liquid. He waited for the pain that never came. After a few moments, he heard a hoarse voice speak to him.

"It...hasn't ended yet..." Torteval's vision slowly came back to him as he looked upwards, and saw a huge figure looming above him. It was Dr. C, kneeling but still massive compared to the jester, propped up on his mace, his shield on the ground. Torteval briefly thought he was already dead, but the screeching sound let him know he wasn't. Linkboy84 had smashed the mushroom-man with his chains, and was struggling to hold it back from finishing Torteval off. The screeching noise came from Dr. C. Or at least, it came from his neck region, as Matsu had stabbed the spider that was attached to hit by the fangs. It took Torteval a bit to understand what was happening, but as Matsu dispatched the spider, and Dr. C slumped down, it became clear to him.

Dr. C had protected him from the spider. This liquid was blood, and it wasn't even his own...he'd gotten reckless, and as a result didn't cover his flank. It was Dr. C that paid the ultimate price, as he risked his life to save Torteval's. Linkboy84 knew the party was in dire straits, as him and Matsu were fighting for their lives, while Dr. C was incapacitated, and Torteval was too shocked to move. He transformed with another unsettling howl, and cleaved the mushroom man in half entirely, before circling the rest of his party members, growling at any creature that approached them so there would be no more reinforcements.

Matsu and Torteval tried to tend to Dr. C's wounds, but he knew better than the jesters it was already too late. "Leave me...an old soldier like me wants nothing more than to die on a battlefield..." He choked out. It was Dr. C's turn to feel warm liquid on his face now, as Torteval looked down at him, tears slowly streaming down his face. They mixed with the blood and gave him a particularly haunting expression without his mask, as if he were crying blood.

"No, old friend...you deserve to die amongst your friends...and to be given a proper burial." Torteval insisted, trying hard to keep his voice steady.

"That...sounds nice.." Dr. C said, giving a smile up at his comrades, before closing his eyes.
Dr. C did not make it back to the Hamlet. The stagecoach became his deathbed, but the old soldier went peacefully. They others had managed to bandage him up nicely, cleaned him from blood. The sun was shining and birds were chirping as they approached the Hamlet. He would get a soldier's burial after all. Torteval would make sure of it. He owed him that much.

I spent roughly the last 8 hours working on this, and then many hours before this. I haven't eaten in awhile, so I won't be updating the Hub tonight, most likely. Will do it tomorrow perhaps, or tonight after I eat and feel better.

Remember that you can tell me if there's any particular skill preferences you want your character to have, or if you got any suggestions, etc. As you might notice, I'm a bit reluctant writing from the POV of characters I don't know too much about, since it's hard to try and mimic their personality, or if you don't like certain characters, etc.

Also, the lack of healers happening is extremely frustrating at times. But we'll get through it.

That being said, I said it wasn't gonna be wordy, but instead, it's wordy. Still working on balancing things out, but I imagine it'll be a problem that resolves itself with time. Because eventually, trash battles are going to be uneventful and boring to write about, and there'll be meatier stuff to write about, such as bosses. Also working on developing interesting side stories to fill the gaps between battles and action. Keep in mind I didn't meticulously edit this one, and it's 4 AM, there may be lots of errors and grammar and stuff I don't care about.

Also, I should probably tag people when their character is sent on an expedition so they can read about things, but I'm too lazy to do that right now.

Last edited:
"Why is there a number?" Matsu danced around a little in front of Linkboy84's path, who sidestepped and walked right past him.

"It's the number they assigned me."

I like it! I didn't think of that little fact but you just rolled with it. Amazing!

I feel as if I should thank you. I probably wouldn't have found that game if this wasn't in the new posts section. More importantly than that I enjoyed reading that a lot. I look forward to seeing later posts.

I'm a little conflicted. Though I would prefer being a hound master it appears you need more healers.

I feel as if I should thank you. I probably wouldn't have found that game if this wasn't in the new posts section. More importantly than that I enjoyed reading that a lot. I look forward to seeing later posts.

I'm a little conflicted. Though I would prefer being a hound master it appears you need more healers.

Hrmm...well, it's really about the luck of the draw with which classes appear for us. The game's RNG just hasn't given us healers to recruit...but we also don't even have anyone who wants to be a Hound Master. You can be a Hound Master and we'll just roll with what the game gives us~ Just give us a name (and your dog) and we'll sign you up.

(Though honestly, Crackshot and Cerberus sounds like pretty badass names for a Houndmaster and Dog, too)

______

And to everyone else, thanks so much for the feedback! It means a lot, and it's nice to see people enjoying an admittedly highly experimental project that I'm trying to do, but I think (barring a few hiccups), it's turning out to be more successful than I thought.

I haven't started "recording" the new episode (As in actually playing the game, since I play the game in small chunks and then write about it) yet; I'll give it a few days so people can discuss and give feedback if they want anything changed. I already have a couple side-stories lined up for the immediate future, some of which might be surprising, others, expected.

Just thought of something. Could you, if my abomination lasts that long, have him slowly embrace his bestial side?

Just thought of something. Could you, if my abomination lasts that long, have him slowly embrace his bestial side?

Mmhm! That's definitely one of the side stories I'm working on, as well as how the others deal with it. I only transformed him twice so far, but when I become more comfortable with him, I'll have him transform more often. (It was actually the first dungeon I've ever used an abomination on, ever, so the reluctance to have him transform was a real thing)

(Though honestly, Crackshot and Cerberus sounds like pretty badass names for a Houndmaster and Dog, too)
What. WHAT!

It was right in front of my face the entire time and I didn't think of that. Let's go with that. That saved me a ton of time.
And to everyone else, thanks so much for the feedback! It means a lot, and it's nice to see people enjoying an admittedly highly experimental project that I'm trying to do, but I think (barring a few hiccups), it's turning out to be more successful than I thought.
I think it was a good idea. Anyone could play through a game and record their progress, you've taken your writing talents and made it come alive.

Well I should probably get the character information type stuff listed in the case of me joining this adventure.

I'd like to focus on Hound's Rush, Guard Dog, and maybe lick wounds? Have just enough invested in whistle to be able to use it. Whistle marks the enemies and Hound's Rush deals significantly more damage to marked enemies.

Save the dog treats for extremely dire circumstances or boss battles. Only get 2 per time I head out after all. Make sure to mark the boss before using the treat.

I get the sense that a former lawman would be suspicious of Linkboy84. I'll go with your judgement on story based things.

If there's anything else you'd like me to write feel free to tell me.

I wonder what you'll do with the name considering the hound master only uses a cudgel.

Back
Top Bottom