Expand Your Terraria Empire - Pylons, Town Building, and NPC Happiness

Finally, a reason to care about NPC Housing. This will make traversing the world so much easier! This is a perfect addition to the game. I can not wait until May 16th.

just gonna point out that they made it impossible to craft the Neptune shell, and made the compass an incredibly rare drop, with full knowledge that it would annoy the community, yes they might not want to piss of the community, but if they felt it would be funny or "teach the community a lesson" they would most likely do it, because they have in the past
Considering how OP those items can become, I don't blame them for making them more rare. The cellphone, however, is a complete jerk move. It will forever evade me in non-modded games. If making the angler happy guaranteed me better drops for the cellphone, I'd literally go to redigit's house and buy him a beer personally.

Considering how OP those items can become, I don't blame them for making them more rare. The cellphone, however, is a complete jerk move. It will forever evade me in non-modded games. If making the angler happy guaranteed me better drops for the cellphone, I'd literally go to redigit's house and buy him a beer personally.
YES. MORE COMMON ANGLER DROPS. THOSE THINGS ARE SO HARD TO GET.

This. I've 100% either edited in the cell phone, or just plain kept the magic mirror and not gave a hoot. Angler's not worth the time when it's a slot machine on both quests and quest rewards.

With the fighting between some NPC’s, does that mean they effect each others happiness levels?
example: how the arms dealer and Demolitionist fight

With the fighting between some NPC’s, does that mean they effect each others happiness levels?
example: how the arms dealer and Demolitionist fight
I'm gonna' go on a limb and say that's not really entirely neccessary. Chances are, that's going to be part of the whole "I like to be around [NPC name]" situation. Some might not prefer a certain biome, but be encouraged to live in that biome by being with another npc they enjoy. This can end up separating them from those npcs they don't get along with in the process. We don't know for certain if being in a different town changes the interactions and dialogue of npcs, and I doubt that'll be the case. However, I can see Relogic going far enough as to block the npcs in a reasonable way and provide enough npcs specific to each biome so that satisfying them can garuntee a fair number of settlements and pylons around your world, while also respecting the previous relationships established between npcs in their wants and needs. This update feels like it's going to do a lot to build the personality of NPCs beyond just this aspect, and maybe your suggestion will be seen in some form.

Also, separate comment to all o' ye's who keep complaining about this change... never was it said how drastic the price differences will be, nor was it ever stated where this change was distributed. I don't think Relogic wants to alienate people who build boxes as much as they want to encourage one of their longest lasting central game mechanics after seeing how underused it is for common players. I think if there's a price change based on happiness, it's going to be a reduction of prices for happier npcs more than it will be an increase for unhappy ones. This change in price would probably also be more subtle than most of you want to believe. We can't be charging 1 platinum for a minishark as a punishment, but it also can't end up costing 10 gold. I think Relogic is riding the pylon concept more than anything, and there's no punishment for not taking advantage of them. The Pylons feel like a much needed change because, if we're being honest, I don't think many players (Including most that enjoy building) find themselves building up their npc houses and towns after their first several playthroughs.

I think the change is welcome to bringing back the character of the game. The reason we find housing for npcs a chore is because we insist on getting it out of the way instead of embracing it as a core mechanic of the game. Overall, we're just going to have to see how this pans out when 1.4 arrives. We can't complain about how this is going to be problematic before we see it for ourselves. I have my faith in Relogic, and I want to see where they take this more than anything I've seen so far from this update. I don't think they'd be showing us this if they weren't excited about it themselves, and I don't think they'd be adding it if it isn't what the game needs right now.

Honestly, it seems like you dont even need to stop building boxes; you just gotta make them bigger and spread them out.

Also, separate comment to all o' ye's who keep complaining about this change... never was it said how drastic the price differences will be, nor was it ever stated where this change was distributed. I don't think Relogic wants to alienate people who build boxes as much as they want to encourage one of their longest lasting central game mechanics after seeing how underused it is for common players. I think if there's a price change based on happiness, it's going to be a reduction of prices for happier npcs more than it will be an increase for unhappy ones. This change in price would probably also be more subtle than most of you want to believe. We can't be charging 1 platinum for a minishark as a punishment, but it also can't end up costing 10 gold. I think Relogic is riding the pylon concept more than anything, and there's no punishment for not taking advantage of them. The Pylons feel like a much needed change because, if we're being honest, I don't think many players (Including most that enjoy building) find themselves building up their npc houses and towns after their first several playthroughs.

I think the change is welcome to bringing back the character of the game. The reason we find housing for npcs a chore is because we insist on getting it out of the way instead of embracing it as a core mechanic of the game. Overall, we're just going to have to see how this pans out when 1.4 arrives. We can't complain about how this is going to be problematic before we see it for ourselves. I have my faith in Relogic, and I want to see where they take this more than anything I've seen so far from this update. I don't think they'd be showing us this if they weren't excited about it themselves, and I don't think they'd be adding it if it isn't what the game needs right now.
I agree with this, but it should be pointed out it has been said that prices increase for unhappy npcs. And yes, we don’t know the extent, that’s part of what’s so frustrating because revealing a simple number could solve the concerns of a great number of people.

Some ideas for alternate Pylon shapes I sketched up. I think this could be a really cool change to give each biome variant a unique flavor. Would also make their depictions on the minimap easier to recognize.

5949FEDC-F567-48F4-9086-D49FED397257.jpeg

Forest - Round, peaceful, calm
Underground - Thin, sharp
Jungle - Chaotic, mighty, unbreakable
Desert - Ancient, mysterious
Snow - Smooth, cold, cut
Hallow - Enchanting, beautiful, alien

Last edited:
Some ideas for alternate Pylon shapes I sketched up. I think this could be a really cool change to give each biome variant a unique flavor. Would also make their depictions on the minimap easier to recognize.

View attachment 269371

Forest - Round, peaceful calm
Underground - Thin, sharp
Jungle - Chaotic, mighty, unbreakable
Desert - Ancient, mysterious
Snow - Smooth, cold, cut
Hallow - Enchanting, beautiful, alien

Great idea it would be very easy to reconize and also some variety which would make it cool. But... will they have a corruption?

that genius if I were to be honest I didn't even think about building houses around the Terraria world. now that I know I will eventually be able to teleport to them I will build around the world. good work!

This makes NPCs feel more alive and interactive! I hope we get different dialogue for different NPCs. Maybe it will detect how much walking space and how much height their rooms have?
My greatest personal wish for NPCs is making them better able to find each other and interact. I always try to build bases that have stairs for them to reach each other.

Just because you don't like it doesn't make it poor gameplay. The mechanic literally hasn't even been revealed on a functional level yet and suddenly you think you know every single little detail about it. Just wait for it to come out. If you're still adamantly against it, then you can use a mod to change the game to your preferences.

... who are you talking to?

I ask this because you're replying to a post where, among the text you quoted was, "I don't resort to mods to 'fix' a game". It makes absolutely no sense to tell someone to do a thing in reply to a post where they specifically said that they don't do that thing.

That may seem like a minor point, but:

Also, if you seriously legitimately believe that this tiny increase in price that is incredibly simple to fix literally ruins the entirety of Terraria as a whole, then maybe you should find a new game to play. Either that or just get a mod to disable it.

Again, I have no idea who you're talking to. A direct quote from the post you're replying to: "This change isn't a deal-breaker; it's just one more irritant to throw on the pile." I don't know if you're arguing with myself or some kind of gross caricature of my arguments that you have manufactured out of whole cloth.

At the very least, it would be a good idea to more carefully read the posts you're replying to before making such a reply.

I didn't use a mod, but I did eventually give up on getting it legit and just use a map editor to give his items to me. After a while, I did the same with Biome Keys, because seriously, who has time to deal with that nonsense?

Through all this, there is probably one important view that I probably haven't mentioned:
I tend to draw up a plan of what tower I'm going to build, before I even make my character. I invest a lot of blocks and time into it, even if the build doesn't look creative. Making a change to it's layout would take hours, not minutes, even if it's just increasing the height of a room by one block (since I would need to move every floor up, and it's a tall tower).

The reason I am so frustrated is there are 3 scenarios here:
Scenario 1 - I can use the same tower I have been refining for 5 years, and these 2 weeks made me bitter over nothing. I wish the devs could have soothed my fears sooner.
Scenario 2 - I can't use that tower without getting a price hike, and I only find this out last minute. I enter my entire playthrough feeling bitter.
Scenario 3 - The devs give a teeny bit more info on the "crowded" mechanic, and I can use these 2 weeks to plan accordingly, regardless of whether my current build works. I feel gratitude to the devs for helping the community.

At this point, I just want a straight answer, I don't actually care what the answer turns out to be. If using the tower means I don't get pylons, that's on me for not working towards a new mechanic. But I want to know if it still allows my current playstyle without spending twice as long just grinding mobs for cash, which has always been my least favourite part of any video game.

Through all this, there is probably one important view that I probably haven't mentioned:
I tend to draw up a plan of what tower I'm going to build, before I even make my character. I invest a lot of blocks and time into it, even if the build doesn't look creative. Making a change to it's layout would take hours, not minutes, even if it's just increasing the height of a room by one block (since I would need to move every floor up, and it's a tall tower).

The reason I am so frustrated is there are 3 scenarios here:
Scenario 1 - I can use the same tower I have been refining for 5 years, and these 2 weeks made me bitter over nothing. I wish the devs could have soothed my fears sooner.
Scenario 2 - I can't use that tower without getting a price hike, and I only find this out last minute. I enter my entire playthrough feeling bitter.
Scenario 3 - The devs give a teeny bit more info on the "crowded" mechanic, and I can use these 2 weeks to plan accordingly, regardless of whether my current build works. I feel gratitude to the devs for helping the community.

At this point, I just want a straight answer, I don't actually care what the answer turns out to be. If using the tower means I don't get pylons, that's on me for not working towards a new mechanic. But I want to know if it still allows my current playstyle without spending twice as long just grinding mobs for cash, which has always been my least favourite part of any video game.
how about
Scenario 4 - The "price hike" isn't +900% like you think it is and the amount of time you spend killing mobs for cash is pretty much unchanged (since I promise you that money is not a hard thing to come by, I have thousands of hours of experience with this game so I'd definitely know how easy it is to come by)
or Scenario 5 - You can rearrange the NPCs in your tower to regain your lower prices
or Scenario 6 - You can learn to make new cool biome towers for the NPCs to occupy that are accessible through Pylons if you desperately want towers and perfect NPC happiness
or Scenario 7 - You can have your design be flawed from a crowding standpoint and redesign it accordingly to match up with the new mechanics

there are so many possible outcomes of this new design

why must you constantly assume the worst from the devs who pour so much love into this game

they've worked incredibly hard on this update for the past few years and just as hard on Terraria for the past 9. There is no reason to doubt their creative capabilities now on their final update after learning from all of their previous updates. Do you really expect that they wouldn't playtest their changes to make sure they're balanced and fair?

also, your personal method of creating a house is unique to you and I don't see why the devs should cater to your one specific playstyle when designing a new mechanic.

of course it is hard to design a nerf that everybody will like, because there are people who enjoyed using thing before said nerf.

let's think about Minecraft, a game everyone knows. In Minecraft, there are enchantments that you can place on your weapons. In particular, a bow is able to receive either of the two enchantments Infinity or Mending. Infinity makes it so that you only need one arrow in your inventory and you can shoot as many as you wish. Mending makes it so that all damage your bow takes is able to be restored infinitely using exp. Now together, this would obviously be a bit unbalanced, so they nerfed bows to make those enchantments mutually exclusive. Yes, this nerfed bow users who wish to have all mending tools that also prefer to use infinity on their bow, but it was a nerf made for balance. This update is just that. being able to use the entire NPC mechanic of the game to its full extent by shoving 24 NPCs into wooden prison cells isn't how NPCs were intended to be used. Now yes, this game is a sandbox, so all playstyles should be accepted, which makes sense. However, certain playstyles have obvious benefits and obvious downsides, and now building NPC houses is part of that. You want to do a run with the playstyle of only using shortswords through the entire pre-hardmode, and only using broadswords that don't shoot projectiles in hardmode? Sure, go ahead, but the game doesn't have to suddenly create an update to cater to your way of playing. Want to uncaringly throw all your NPCs into a prison system confined into one spot? Sure, go ahead, but the game doesn't suddenly have to cater to your way of playing. Saying that you should be able to use NPCs to their full extent while disregarding the criteria for their happiness is like saying you should be able to constantly have the max DPS possible for each weapon you use without using the accessories, armor, and potions required to get that DPS.

they also don't have to spoil every single thing about their new mechanic so that your fears can be soothed, since a spoiler isn't meant to tell you every single thing about a new mechanic. if you're scared, just wait for it to come out and see if your fear was well reasoned. and please, stop underestimating relogic. they made Terraria.

Back
Top Bottom