tModLoader Experience and Classes

Are the new class advancement requirements reasonable?

• Yes! Major changes are NOT needed.

Votes: 19 76.0%
  • The Monster/Boss Orb requirements are reasonable, but not the other requirements.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • The other requirements are reasonable, but not the Monster/Boss Orb requirements.

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • No! Major changes are needed.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
All auras activate every few seconds. The Priest's ichor lasts longer than the Cleric version and is nearly maintained. The range is approximately one screen in all directions.

Yeah it was great for afking in the lizhard temple. Combined with the damage aura you would come back and be level 70 after 2 hours or so.

Yeah it was great for afking in the lizhard temple. Combined with the damage aura you would come back and be level 70 after 2 hours or so.
I would like for the damage aura to scale with something so that you could choose to build around it, but I haven't found a good stat to use. The aura is still pretty effective though, especially against multi-segment bosses. In my own experience, Priest is one of the more useful classes.

Fun Fact: the damage aura ignores defense.

That's a ton of feedback, I wanna add some comments to this as well as it seems really well thought out.
I feel this should work like the paladins shield where you take the reduced damage. As otherwise there are so many ways it could be exploited by having someone else draw aggro in turtle/beetle/solar while the "tank" class avoids actually being targeted with aggro reducing items. (also this would make it straight up better than the priests defense aura below)

In addition to the more generous opening attack, I feel they could just deal higher damage in general, 0.3% per level is lower than most tier 1 classes, they have no melee speed, and their massive crit chance isn't all that useful without higher base damage to back it up. (also since most armours/late game accessories give a lot of crit chance that bonus ends up being useless for them)

I found the paladins shield system to be really buggy in multiplayer, or perhaps it was just due to modded multiplayer. And that the assassin actually had the best damage... as long as they were at full health. With endgame modded setups i was one shotting pumpkings that had 120k hp. The warrior class took more than 40 hits to kill them. I think its damage modifier is fine, just that openers need a little more leeway. Especially with mods like reduced grinding sending 200 pumpkings at you at the same time! Ludicrous levels of exp lol.

I would like for the damage aura to scale with something so that you could choose to build around it, but I haven't found a good stat to use. The aura is still pretty effective though, especially against multi-segment bosses. In my own experience, Priest is one of the more useful classes.

Fun Fact: the damage aura ignores defense.

Increases damage as your progress through bosses? Healing allies reduces cooldown between damage aura activation?

Last edited:
So it's basically a sort of Circle of Protection from Evil... whatever gets close to the priest that isn't friendly suffers a penalty. Ichor is both powerful and widespread, though... perhaps a different effect would be appropriate. Maybe something that weakens monsters' offensive power, or causes them to take damage from certain attack types. Perhaps even a Dryad-style dual, a larger weakening aura and a smaller, more personal aura that causes monsters to take damage from melee. Then you get your D&D-style cleric, the holy warrior type that blesses allies and goes toe-to-toe with foes.

Edit: By the way... yeah, we could really use a dedicated slot for these, even if only for the first one. My accessory slots get eaten up fast and leave little room for customization already, what with the virtually must-have Ankh Shield, boots, and wings... having a class item as well leaves me with almost no other specialized choices.

Last edited:
So it's basically a sort of Circle of Protection from Evil... whatever gets close to the priest that isn't friendly suffers a penalty. Ichor is both powerful and widespread, though... perhaps a different effect would be appropriate. Maybe something that weakens monsters' offensive power, or causes them to take damage from certain attack types. Perhaps even a Dryad-style dual, a larger weakening aura and a smaller, more personal aura that causes monsters to take damage from melee. Then you get your D&D-style cleric, the holy warrior type that blesses allies and goes toe-to-toe with foes.

Edit: By the way... yeah, we could really use a dedicated slot for these, even if only for the first one. My accessory slots get eaten up fast and leave little room for customization already, what with the virtually must-have Ankh Shield, boots, and wings... having a class item as well leaves me with almost no other specialized choices.
As a workaround, Cheat Sheet can be used to add several (up to 6, I think) accessory slots. These slots ARE compatible with class tokens.

I am not sure how involved creating these slots is. If it's not too bad, I'll try to add a slot eventually.

An alternative would be to allow class tokens to function in vanity slots.

I'd like to put my two cents in, but keep in mind this is my first playthrough with the mod on and I've not progressed past Plantera with it on. I only play on Expert, by the way.

As it stands I see no problem with all of the base classes. They're pretty great and seem to last up til the Mechanical Bosses, benefit wise. A couple notes that I'd make is that I think the melee classes should get some form of movement speed/jump height as well as the rogue types. They're going to be moving around a lot more than the others. I've not tinkered with the Rogue or Minion line, so I can't really say for much on them, though.

On the melee tier 3 types, I see very little reason to pick anything but Berserker. I like the idea of Tank, but unfortunately it's not really all that viable as a role in Terraria simply because Damage > Damage Mitigation nearly all times. There's no real way to think about taking hits on a normal basis. Perhaps if the Tank was more of a 'party leader' sort of role? Spitting out tiny Nebula-like spirits that buff whoever picks them up whenever the Tank defeats an enemy, or perhaps when they take damage.

On the Berserker, is there any way to make them actually feel like a Berserker? Perhaps some kind of damage boost based on how much health they've lost. I can see that getting rather broken at higher levels, but at the same time, you try fighting a boss at less than 100HP on expert and not get squished.

The Warrior seems pretty decent, but lacking in flavor really. I don't have much of a suggestion here beyond perhaps some sort of copycat of the Sage but with a Damage Aura instead?

On the Ranged classes, I've seen earlier that you mentioned you were working on them so they're not so restrictive. May I suggest something, then? Both Archer and Gunner fill the same roles just with different weapons, but they're basically the same class. While playing a ranged user in Terraria, you better believe I'm going to have more than just a gun or a bow on me at either time. The other thing is that both guns and arrows act about the same. It's a shame there's not something like 'ranged speed' akin to 'melee speed' because then there'd be a clear shot of Speed vs. Damage that you could base stats off of. And at end game, ammo consumption basically becomes more of an inventory hog than an actual issue. Ranger is pretty good, but perhaps give them the Hunter's Potion effect, and perhaps some other potions like Shine or Spelunker's. Just to fluff them out a little.

On the magic line, I see very little reason to take Sage. This goes in line with the idea of Damage > Defense. Even higher up, in the +30 range, it's still what, a half of a hit more? It could mean life or death, but that's hardly a mage's role. I'd make sage based more on casting MORE, and give them increased mana regeneration and the like, while giving Mystic the classic 'Glass Cannon' approach.

On the Cleric and Saint roles, I notice they don't really get any bonus damage or anything, they're just a walking Ichor Aura, essentially? Perhaps my idea of the Nebula-like spirits can instead come to this class, to truly make them feel 'Support'. Personally I run Thorium which adds a lot of Healer based spells and Radiant Damage for them specifically. I know it's not a good idea to require mods for other mods, but perhaps stick that in there somehow, or add a basic +overall damage just to make them more balanced with the other Tier 3 classes.

That's all I have for now. Also, Ascension Orbs seem far harder to obtain than Boss Orbs, seeing as how Eye of Cthulhu and the like can be made out of pennies for a nearly forced Boss Orb, but you'll have to set up a farm and run your PC overnight if you want to try and take more than two Tier 3 classes. 50 Ascension orbs is too much. Thanks for listening.

To be fair, Boss Orbs can be broken down into Ascension orbs, too. I'm about to reach level 25 and have the boss and ascension orbs I need for tier 3 already, but yeah, farming could be a minor hassle. Still, farming is part of the game, to some extent, and racking up AOs isn't that hard. Also, Ichor, itself, is a damage boost... but EVERYONE packs an Ichor option, which is why I suggested another effect for auras.

I've only played Range, so far, but Range is quite strong on it's own, so I can't see choosing a focus over general Ranger... I suppose that, yeah, a way to address this would be choosing playstyles instead of weapons. A Sharpshooter vs Nest Gunner approach might work: the Nest Gunner having a survivability boost and more damage with lower health, the Sharpshooter gaining an increasing damage bonus the longer they can go without getting hit, and maybe a dodge bonus. A "stand your ground" versus "dodge and snipe" choice.

Giving Tier 3s a secondary focus is also another option: Maybe give Berserker a Throwing bonus, give Clerics a small Ichor aura and melee bonus, etcetera. I'd love to see something like Nest Gunner getting an ability at level 50 or so where they do a short-range swipe with each shot, quarter the damage of the weapon but good knockback.

Thoughts, thoughts and more thoughts!

Edit: More thoughts. Range... and some of the other classes... are kind of boring in class advancement. Powerful, but boring. Perhaps, in line with the above, higher-level Sharpshooters could gain a percent chance for their shots to pierce a la Luminite arrows (special kind of piercing that doesn't trigger immunity), but only one or two targets. OR it could "ricochet" a la Thorium Mod's "Particle Whip." Nest Gunners could gain a chance to "stack" their shot with a "double barrel" effect... two or more of the same bullet overlapping a la Thorium Mod's "Obliterator"... or maybe occasionally fire a battlefield flare that "lights up the battlefield" (grants everyone in a screen's range Night Vision) and reduces the defense of monsters in the area.

Berserkers could perhaps get a "double strike" ability that adds a second, weaker strike to their melee hits, but ONLY melee, not melee-related projectiles. Perhaps, at higher levels, this second hit steals life, but this would be more appropriate if they also lost some defense. Tanks could get a Defensive Stance that grants them Thorns (sort of a riposte) and higher defense at the cost of damage.

All things considered, this mod has a LOT of potential, even on top of what you've already managed to accomplish! Kudos!

Last edited:
As a workaround, Cheat Sheet can be used to add several (up to 6, I think) accessory slots. These slots ARE compatible with class tokens.

I am not sure how involved creating these slots is. If it's not too bad, I'll try to add a slot eventually.

An alternative would be to allow class tokens to function in vanity slots.
I would use cheat sheet to get an extra slot but i can't since it is incompatible for mac I tried a week ago and it didn't work but I am not complaining just trying to give more information from me, I love your mod and would hate to have it left in the dust.

I would use cheat sheet to get an extra slot but i can't since it is incompatible for mac I tried a week ago and it didn't work but I am not complaining just trying to give more information from me, I love your mod and would hate to have it left in the dust.

Wing slot mod gives an acc slot for wings, freeing up a slot. There's also a mod called more accessories+ that makes expert Plantera drop an extra acc slot item similar to wall of flesh though at a lower rate (1/10?)

Having an extra accessory slot for this would make it unbalanced :p
Pretty much any mod unbalances the game. If you want to even it out, use Enemy Stats Config mod to increase the difficulty. But, since many folks already lose three acc slots to wings, boots and Ankh Shield, and quite possibly a fourth to Celestial Shell, there's little room for customization across playstyles unless more slots are made available.

Pretty much any mod unbalances the game. If you want to even it out, use Enemy Stats Config mod to increase the difficulty. But, since many folks already lose three acc slots to wings, boots and Ankh Shield, and quite possibly a fourth to Celestial Shell, there's little room for customization across playstyles unless more slots are made available.
accessory slots to wings and boots...gagh..argh....erkk...

Nice joke, I almost choke.

Another option is to change class tokens so that they apply their effect from the inventory instead of being an equipped item. However, this would complicate rapid class switching (some people have said that they do this) and clutter the inventory.

Added Downside: In multiplayer, your inventory is not synced with other players. Tokens can still be made to work from the inventory, but the way to do this is a bit messy. Doing this would increase the chance of encountering a sync-related bug (because built-in equipment sync is probably more reliable than explicit sync packets).

Last edited:
Another option is to change class tokens so that they apply their effect from the inventory instead of being an equipped item. However, this would complicate rapid class switching (some people have said that they do this) and clutter the inventory.

Added Downside: In multiplayer, your inventory is not synced with other players. Tokens can still be made to work from the inventory, but the way to do this is a bit messy. Doing this would increase the chance of encountering a sync-related bug (because built-in equipment sync is probably more reliable than explicit sync packets).

Have you considered some kind of in game menu to select your class? Would enable more accurate descriptions of abilities, and more flexibility for class choices. You could then have two types of class's active without having to split levels between them and without taking up multiple acc slots. For example passive classes like explorer, miner, builder, alchemist etc. And the other class could be the aggressive classes such as melee, ranged and mage etc

Wow, I don't know how this slipped under the radar for me for so many months. Looks professional and polished. I'll definitely be running this when I have time to start a new playthrough.
It's good, but you can tell what Saerus likes; some of the classes are very developed, while others barely have any character development. Compare rogue classes to rangers and you'll see what I mean.

By the way, in the vein of auras, maybe consider granting tanks a Tactical Stratagem sort of "aura" (he's shouting tactics and directing combat as he tanks) that gives other players some combat advantage, and maybe grant zerks a war cry that gives players a buff for a second or two every few seconds that "gouges" the enemy somehow, either inflicting additional damage or debilitating them somehow. Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom