Expert Mode

boiefy

Terrarian
Hello!
I've just made my first real expert mode world and God, I'm terrified. Why do completely normal zombies have 120 health? What is this madness?

Questions
Most of this thread is questions from someone who obviously isn't an expert, even with a scary number of hours on this game.
  • Which boss should I go for first (I have a corruption world)?
  • Are throwing knives an essential item, or am I just a weenie?
  • Which accessories should I go for first?
  • Should I make Tungsten armor or just cheese the EOW for Shadow Armor?
  • How should I approach dangerous areas such as the Jungle?
Other
While I have never played Expert Mode significantly, I do know some things. If anyone is reading this with the same sort of intention as me (learning how to survive this hellhole of a challenge), here are the things I know already:
  • The Amazon yoyo is extremely good and should be acquired immediately.
  • Don't try to attack zombies. Seriously, just don't.
  • Set up proper arenas for bosses focusing on their new attack patterns; For example, build a bridge out of ice and use Ice Skates for the Eye of Cthulhu, or use Hermes boots and platforms, along with a grappling hook.
  • Skeletron has apparently received a HUGE difficulty boost, and you should probably do what would be called overpreparing in normal mode.
That's basically it. Again, if you have any answers to these questions, or any suggestions, or anything at all that might help me, I'd love to hear them, because otherwise, I'm pretty much helpless. Thank you!

first, let's just start off by saying that all mobs have 2x health and 2x damage (except for bosses, they just have a slight boost)

Q: Which boss should I go for first (I have a corruption world)?
A: Eye of Cthulhu.

Q: Are throwing knives an essential item, or am I just a weenie?
A: Throwing knives are good starter weapons. They can be useful for EoC.

Q: Which accessories should I go for first?
A: Cloud in a bottle and hermes boots are a must at the start of every world. Silver/Tungsten armor you should for, as well as a gold/platinum bow with 200+ flaming arrows.
But if you're feeling risky, go get meteor armor and a space gun, which will #rek everything.

Q: Should I make Tungsten armor or just cheese the EOW for Shadow Armor?
A: NO EATER OF WORLD YET.

Q: How should I approach dangerous areas such as the Jungle?
A: Explore the Jungle after EoC. The eye has a useful accessory that you will find handy.

Now let's talk about the Eye of Cthulhu.
HE'S SO SANIC FAST, YOU GOTTA WATCH OUT!
Use the accessories I suggested above, and when he has very little HP remaining, use grenades. Because near the end, he's unstoppable. You'll take some damage from the grenades, but he'll die first. For potions, use ironskin, regen, swiftness, and archery. And life crystals? NO MORE THAN 180 HEALTH! (seriously, you'll regret it)
So now that you have the setup I described above, move and make an arena like this guy:
Once you defeat him, you are free to use more life crystals. :D

Other resources:

Pedguin:

Me :p

first, let's just start off by saying that all mobs have 2x health and 2x damage (except for bosses, they just have a slight boost)

Q: Which boss should I go for first (I have a corruption world)?
A: Eye of Cthulhu.

Q: Are throwing knives an essential item, or am I just a weenie?
A: Throwing knives are good starter weapons. They can be useful for EoC.

Q: Which accessories should I go for first?
A: Cloud in a bottle and hermes boots are a must at the start of every world. Silver/Tungsten armor you should for, as well as a gold/platinum bow with 200+ flaming arrows.
But if you're feeling risky, go get meteor armor and a space gun, which will #rek everything.

Q: Should I make Tungsten armor or just cheese the EOW for Shadow Armor?
A: NO EATER OF WORLD YET.

Q: How should I approach dangerous areas such as the Jungle?
A: Explore the Jungle after EoC. The eye has a useful accessory that you will find handy.

Now let's talk about the Eye of Cthulhu.
HE'S SO SANIC FAST, YOU GOTTA WATCH OUT!
Use the accessories I suggested above, and when he has very little HP remaining, use grenades. Because near the end, he's unstoppable. You'll take some damage from the grenades, but he'll die first. For potions, use ironskin, regen, swiftness, and archery. And life crystals? NO MORE THAN 180 HEALTH! (seriously, you'll regret it)
So now that you have the setup I described above, move and make an arena like this guy:
Once you defeat him, you are free to use more life crystals. :D

Other resources:

Pedguin:

Me :p

Thank you for the tips, and for the videos. I've actually managed to get a decent setup, and I'm about to give myself a break and just build onto my house (and by that, make it look a little less like a brown rectangle), but first I have to wait through a blood moon. Hooray.

I've got Hermes boots, and I'm gonna go for the Sandstorm in a bottle first because it's sometimes an easier find and is also a better option. I'll setup an arena, like you said, and hopefully get a demolitionist to move in for grenades. Again, thanks for the tips!

Thank you for the tips, and for the videos. I've actually managed to get a decent setup, and I'm about to give myself a break and just build onto my house (and by that, make it look a little less like a brown rectangle), but first I have to wait through a blood moon. Hooray.

I've got Hermes boots, and I'm gonna go for the Sandstorm in a bottle first because it's sometimes an easier find and is also a better option. I'll setup an arena, like you said, and hopefully get a demolitionist to move in for grenades. Again, thanks for the tips!
cool, man. let us know when you progress!

Not sure at what point you're at right now, so what i might tell you is completely unnecessary, but helpings fun, so whatever.

On the topic of Skeletron:
MOLTEN.
ARMOR.

Skeletron hits like a bus in Expert mode.

Yes, that means saving him for last in Pre-hardmode. You gotta kill EoW for the Demonite to mine Hellstone, but trust me, it's worth the effort.

Dealing with him
Some things recommended here are mentioned later, so sorry about that.

Skele takes hits like a tank, as well. At least, until you destroy both hands. In Expert mode Skeletron takes VERY little damage to the head, in the 1's and 2's type of little damage. You HAVE to take out the hands before going for the head.

You can take out the hands somewhat fairly using Spiked Balls, from the goblin invasion. But those won't do themselves. I recommend Meteor Shots and a Minishark to take out the hands, because since they take no knockback anyway, they won't be an issue for the shots. I recommend at least 2 stacks. (1998)

If you have Spiked Balls, you should have done the goblin invasion. Get some Rocket Boots from the Goblin Tinker, combine them with your Hermes boots. The elevation with them should work well when dodging his slaps.

Once his hands are down, Keep him at range. He'll be firing skulls at this point, so stay mobile, and keep firing at him. MELEE WHILE HE'S SPINNING CAN BE RISKY! He does a LOT of damage, even with Molten Armor!

Potions and Buffs

As for potions, try using the following:

Ironskin, Regeneration, Thorns, Mana Regen/Power (If you use Mage items), and Swiftness. And if you're the fishing type, Ammo Reservation. Making it requires a Double Cod, caught on the surface (or sky) Jungle.

Unless you're some sort of dodging GOD, you'll need thorns. You're bound to get hit at some point, and with the damage he does, the damage reflected should be good.

Buffs, you'll want a Campfire, for sure. Easy to make, and the passive regen, although small, might save your life.
If you have a spare heart crystal, make a Heart Lantern.
Again, if you're a mage, a Star in a Bottle is a good choice too. Both the Lantern and the Bottle give very useful regen effects.

Accessories

At this point, you should have the Worm Scarf. That is a Must. It reduces all incoming damage by 17%, which can go a long way!
As said before, the Spectre Boots are a real boon here. Getting some quick elevation could be very useful. A substitute for that would be the Fart in a Jar, or Blizzard in a Bottle. The regular Cloud in a Bottle doesn't give as much height as those, so it is recommended to get them instead, or even the Balloon variant for extra height.
As for anything else, i'm not sure. I'm not too much of an expert on the Accessory loadout for things, but the things i mentioned are musts.

Also, it's a good idea to get a lot of Warding or general defense modifiers. Although that'll cost a bit of coin in reforging, unless you're lucky.

Viable Weapons

The Minishark: A Must. You simply cannot kill the hands as easy with anything else. The Rapid fire rate and damage, along with the range capabilities
The Fiery Greatsword: If you want to be a bit risky, the FGS I Like to say Figs is a very good choice. The great damage output is really useful, and it has fair range. But like i said, Melee is risky.
The Imp Staff: Although it may not seem life saving, having something still damaging Skeletron while you're busy dodging can be a huge bonus. However, the imp might target the head, and if you haven't taken the hands out yet, that will be worthless, since all he takes is 1 Damage, a whopping 2 if it's a crit.
The Molten Fury + Hellfire Arrows: The Molten Fury bow can do a good amount of damage with the Archery Potion. Hellfire Arrows deal good damage themselves, and Explode on impact. The explosion doesn't damage you, and does good AoE, so you could damage both hands at once if you're a good shot!

The Arena

The arena is a very important factor.

You're going to want a Flat, wide, multi-level Platform arena. Try different patterns, like moving in a circle, an 8, etc. Experiment, i'm sure you'll find something that works, because i sure haven't.

Having a lot of hills and pits is just going to kill you. Fill things in, level hills, and make those platforms!

Whew, and that's just skeletron prep...

It would be hilarious if you already beat him, though. :sigh:

I Really hope you didn't so this would be useful, i spent like, and hour on this.

Back
Top Bottom