Forum Questions Thread

Is this a good idea and will you use it?

• Eh... not so good idea

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Probably because the door counts as a bigger tile when open and the wire is triggered twice in two different tiles.

I don't understand. You mean to say that the door, when open, has separate regions, the open part, and the part where the door frame is, and that is what is causing the door to open only in one direction? Why does this not happen when the there is no dot of red wire on the switch then?

Does the game have separate protocols for opening and closing the door, or is opening and closing a toggle of the same thing?

Is it a bug?

Nope, it's by design. There's an RNG-based decision made in choosing the direction and sprite to use. When you manually open a door, it uses the direction you're facing to determine which way to move the door. When it's triggered by a wire, there's no cue, so it's free to make an arbitrary decision.

The red wire doesn't appear to actually do anything, and I get the same results wiring a switch to a door without it. I can also use any color wire and get the same results, and pass the wire only through a single tile of the door and get the same results (lining up 6 doors in a row and flipping the switch back and forth.

I've found it in the code, and it definitely chooses the direction at random on a 50-50 coin flip.

Added in inomanoms question and added some spacing to critcodedtuna's

Does anyone have any idea on the answer for critcodedtuna's question?
I can't use terraria at the moment, but why not test it with say 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 10 block high slopes and then extrapolate the data?
I'm not sure that it is linear but I see no reason why it would not be...

Okay, I have the next question.

How many tiles per second does a player or mob go when during up, down, left, and right hoiks?

Okay, I have the next question.

How many tiles per second does a player or mob go when during up, down, left, and right hoiks?

Jumping from one hoik tooth to the next takes 1 game tick. This means that when hoik teeth are spaced 1 tile apart, the player will move twice as fast compared to the speed when the teeth are adjacent to one another.

Where can I read something in detail about damage blocking? Is there any other options except slime statues? (I want to be able to use some melee weapon while damage is blocked) Spikes are not really working for some reason.

Where can I read something in detail about damage blocking? Is there any other options except slime statues? (I want to be able to use some melee weapon while damage is blocked) Spikes are not really working for some reason.

Spikes cannot block all contact damage, but a slime (or other mob) can if the slime is summoned ahead of any other mob.

You can "half-trap" your body in a slime chamber so that you are continuously hit by the slime and yet are free to use your weapon without killing the slime.

I got a question on building a hoik system. I followed the design of some hoik systems from pre-1.3, but the pressure plate in my hoik tunnel is never activated by the actor. I've tried various placement for pressure plates but none of them seem to work. Is the activation of pressure plate changed in 1.3? Is there any 1.3 hoik example that I can follow?

I got a question on building a hoik system. I followed the design of some hoik systems from pre-1.3, but the pressure plate in my hoik tunnel is never activated by the actor. I've tried various placement for pressure plates but none of them seem to work. Is the activation of pressure plate changed in 1.3? Is there any 1.3 hoik example that I can follow?

Can you show a pic of your set-up? Also, are you sure you're using a pressure plate that can be activated by the actor? Some pressure plates are player-only and others are NPC-only.

I have some interest in minecart behavior, particularly in the kinetic aspect of things.
Ok, so a few things off the top of my head on the movement mechanics of minecarts:
  • Diagonal track does not appear to slow the horizontal component of cart speed at all (tested with wiggly/straight tracks verses various comparative timing mechanisms). In this sense kinetic energy is not conserved. Thus the magnitude of the vertical component of minecart velocity should equal the horizontal component when leaving a diagonal end piece.
  • Max (iron) cart speed is 48 tiles/s (default wooden cart is 37tiles/s, by my reckoning, to within 1 tile).
  • Minecarts are slowed same as running speed in liquids (e.g. 1/2 in water, lava, 1/3 1/4 in honey), but resume previous speed on exit.
  • No friction at all while on rails (including while in liquids).
  • No friction while flying through 'air' - horizontal speed looks constant, but a maximum fall speed is achieved. (Be interesting to see free moving behaviour when passing into and out of liquids while in free movement. e.g. with help from bubble blocks.)
  • So, for you question about jump mechanics, one would think that finding the distance travelled (horizontally) before returning to an arbitrary altitude would require simply applying a ballistic equation, finding time of flight using only the vertical component, then multiplying the horizontal speed by the time in the air. Simples.
  • Except that I don't know how Terraria's 'gravity' is applied:
    • Quite possibly different for players and carts.
    • Significantly less in 'space' (I presume there's an abrupt cut-off point, rather than a gradient, or steps).
    • It might be *very* non-ballistic, e.g. from measuring boulder drops activating plates, they seem like they might simply have 2 velocities: slow initial and then fast after ~1s (61 tiles/s).
    • Beach balls feel fairly intuitive, i.e. like real gravity...
    • Code digging should be your friend for this (i.e. does it iterate: Y_velocity = Y_velocity + acceleration_constant? Or something messier?).
Short answer: yeah, you need to do it by trial and error...

Last edited:
Is there any specific wiring guide/tutorial that would teach me both the basics and advanced techniques of wiring?
There are a couple that cover very basics. But I think perhaps we need to create a resource here to gather up all the various useful tips and tricks from useful everyday things up to fairly advanced stuff...

What will be a fast smallest 1 bit memory cell with target dummy? I want something like: check with A output B(0) or C(1), be ready for next round.

What will be a fast smallest 1 bit memory cell with target dummy? I want something like: check with A output B(0) or C(1), be ready for next round.

Assuming you're storing the info as an actuation state of a block, it takes 1 game tick to check the state and transmit a pulse based on the state. I'm not sure if this answers your question though.

Updated!
-Changed title from Forum Help Thread to Forum Questions Thread
-Added a bunch of answered questions (every question is now listed other than @Brain Goo your question about memory cells (waiting for confirmation if DicemanX's answer is correct) and @linkboy84 your question will be added once I have added some more to my WiP guide.

Assuming you're storing the info as an actuation state of a block, it takes 1 game tick to check the state and transmit a pulse based on the state. I'm not sure if this answers your question though.

Yup, sorry for not replying for long time, I was looking for something like this modules by inomanoms:

LbOM6Cj.jpg
J7g8o7n.jpg

Good that we have them.

1. Now I have a new question, do we have some compact sub second delay systems? (like if I want B to be triggered exactly N ticks after input A). I mean something more compact than a line or a loop of N hoiks with a button in the end.

2. I saw a lot of discussions about information storage and organisation, I wonder why wont we just fill gamepedia with lots basic mechanisms and so on?

3. And a question to ZeroGravitas, what software do you use to make this small illustrative videos? Love them, need to learn.

4. Plus an off topic question, how to quote just someones name?)

Yup, sorry for not replying for long time, I was looking for something like this modules by inomanoms:

LbOM6Cj.jpg
J7g8o7n.jpg

Good that we have them.

1. Now I have a new question, do we have some compact sub second delay systems? (like if I want B to be triggered exactly N ticks after input A). I mean something more compact than a line or a loop of N hoiks with a button in the end.

2. I saw a lot of discussions about information storage and organisation, I wonder why wont we just fill gamepedia with lots basic mechanisms and so on?

3. And a question to ZeroGravitas, what software do you use to make this small illustrative videos? Love them, need to learn.

4. Plus an off topic question, how to quote just someones name?)

I can answer question 4: to quote a name do @ and then type their name (no space between the @ and their name).
If their name has a space in it just add the space like normal.
i.e. @Brain Goo (I put special tags so that it wouldn't actually tag you)

I've got one that may be console specific but not sure. It's about cross-world biomes (crimson in corruption and vice-versa). Has a bit of a story to lead in:

I built a mini crimson biome as a spawn surface in a hardmode corruption world and set up a dart battery to farm for a crimson key mold. After a number of days (real ones, on and off farming), still hadn't seen it so I started a new world to get crimson, then put it into hardmode to be able to get key molds. So I went to the crimson underground and started building a farm there. Overall I was only there about 10 minutes (real time) and had barely started building but at some point I killed an enemy and it dropped the mold.

EDIT: Should say, the artificial surface was off-screen and I was NOT in the same biome, but the correct enemies were spawning.

So, question is: Did I get extremely lucky or is there an issue with cross-world drops? I'd gotten 3 molds without much effort in the first world, but the crimson didn't seem to drop.
The notes on the wiki say "Enemies in artificially created Corruption and Crimson biomes will still drop appropriate key molds, even if the world does not have a corresponding biome chest."

UPDATE/SOLVED: The player seems to need to be in the biome, not just kill the correct enemies. Was in corruption during a solar eclipse and a corruption mold was dropped, then went to the jungle and a jungle mold was dropped. Probably a known fact but figured I'd update.

Last edited:
The player seems to need to be in the biome, not just kill the correct enemies. Was in corruption during a solar eclipse and a corruption mold was dropped, then went to the jungle and a jungle mold was dropped. Probably a known fact but figured I'd update.

Yup. That's how this biome key farm still works.

Capture 2015-08-29 11_21_19.png

Back
Top Bottom