Forum Questions Thread

Is this a good idea and will you use it?

• Eh... not so good idea

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Do DOT debuffs (On Fire!, Frostburn, Cursed flames, Etc.) stack? they don't appear to, (The numbers that pop up don't seem to show both debuffs) I'm trying to find the most efficient build for my melee character, and was wondering if I should use the cursed flames flask

Hey guys, I'm trying to build an animated pixel art a la @blackshadowwind and I haven't been able to close/continue the rapid teleportation loop. I have 6 pixel art frames, 6 teleporters and 6 red pressure plates on my practice dummy hoik loop. The first half of the animation works, however, when I reach the 6th teleporter, instead of looping around from teleporter 1 and continuing, I teleport slowly in reverse from tele 5 down to 1.
From lower left to right and then up around to top left the pressure plates are 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.
Plate 1 is connected by red wire to teleporter/frame 1. Plate 2 is connected by blue wire to both teleporter 1 and 2. Plate 3 is connected by red wire to both tele 2 and 3. Plate 4 by blue to 3 and 4. Plate 5 by red to 4 and 5. And Plate 6 by blue to 5 and 6.

As stated, it works perfectly from teleporter 1,2,3,4,5 to 6, but then instead of looping around, I teleport slowly in reverse. I know it's a problem with my wiring. I also know there is wire color preference/order? Red then blue then green? I've tried replacing the blue wire to teleporter 6 with red and that just causes me to teleport back and forth between 2 teleporters.

Can anyone give me a solution? or point me to an image/explanation/video showing how to close the loop? @DicemanX ? I'd really appreciate it and will give you credits for helping my brain unravel the spaghetti monster of wire in my brain. Thanks!

Can anyone give me a solution? or point me to an image/explanation/video showing how to close the loop? @DicemanX ? I'd really appreciate it and will give you credits for helping my brain unravel the spaghetti monster of wire in my brain. Thanks!

Since you're progressing from 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1 then it looks like the 6th pressure plate isn't activating. There's nothing wrong with the loop, and all 6 pressure plates should be activating, so it seems that the 6th pressure plate is not wired to the two teleporters (frame 6 and frame 1) properly. Can you post a pic of the wiring to the two teleporters from the 6th pressure plate?

Since you're progressing from 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1 then it looks like the 6th pressure plate isn't activating. There's nothing wrong with the loop, and all 6 pressure plates should be activating, so it seems that the 6th pressure plate is not wired to the two teleporters (frame 6 and frame 1) properly. Can you post a pic of the wiring to the two teleporters from the 6th pressure plate?

I successfully progress from 1-2-3-4-5-6 quickly and then 6-5-4-3-2-1 slowly. I am trying to go 1-2-3-4-5-6-1-2...etc. quickly in one loop so that the animation continues until I jump off the teleporter system, as seen in Blackshadowwind's video. I will edit this post in 10 minutes or so with the pictures:

Ok, hopefully those do the trick. @DicemanX - Thank you very much for the help, man! I plan on recording a video showing the wiring of this (after I clean it up a bit maybe) since Blackshadowwind's video doesn't show all the wiring and he's currently inactive?

That blue wire in the final shot simply connects to pressure plate 6. I tried several other things, and it used to be connected back to tele 1 with red wire, then green, etc. I just don't know how to close the circuit.

Last edited:
I successfully progress from 1-2-3-4-5-6 quickly and then 6-5-4-3-2-1 slowly. I am trying to go 1-2-3-4-5-6-1-2...etc. quickly in one loop so that the animation continues until I jump off the teleporter system, as seen in Blackshadowwind's video. I will edit this post in 10 minutes or so with the pictures:

Check that - the fact that you end up going backwards suggests that the 6th and 1st teleporter are not connected properly, and the fact that you move slower backwards would make sense as well, given the longer distance the dummy ghost has to travel to activate the pressure plate connecting the teleporter you're on and the preceding teleporter.

In any event, a picture of the wiring will quickly resolve the issue.

@Fury, Yes, wired like that, the player will oscillate back and forth between the frames.

This is how it needs to be wired:

Pressure plate 1 of hoik loop runs with red to tele 1 and through to tele 2 !
This continues:
Pressure plate 2 of hoik loop runs with blue to tele 2 and through to tele 3,
Pressure plate 3 of hoik loop runs with red to tele 3 and through to tele 4,
Pressure plate 4 of hoik loop runs with blue to tele 4 and through to tele 5,
Pressure plate 5 of hoik loop runs with red to tele 5 and through to tele 6,
Pressure plate 6 of hoik loop runs with blue to tele 6 and back to tele 1!

The ghost dummy in the hoik loop is providing the impulses to pass the player from teleporter to teleporter. The teleporters need to be wired in a loop. The different coloured wires aren't really necessary, but it will work.

EDIT:

I think you thought you were using the first pressure plate in the hoik track to move the player into the teleporter loop. You can still do this by additionally wiring tele 1 to the entrance teleporter with green from pressure plate 1 of the hoik loop. This will prevent the player from being returned to the entry teleporter while looping, since the signal to pass the player from tele 1 to tele 2 is done with red wire (earlier priority) while the signal to pass the player between the tele 1 and the entry tele is with green.

I'm not sure as to how this mechanism stops though <.<' Do you have Blackshadow's original for reference?

EDIT: I found the original video. This mechanism does not have any entry or exit teleporters. The loop is just turned on or off and the player jumps onto one of the teleporters to enter the loop. So forget what I said about green wiring.

Last edited:
Thank you, sir! Yeah, this is my first attempt at using a dummy ghost loop, so I wasn't entirely sure how to get everything working the right way. I ran wire back and forth across the entire distance of all the frames at least 12 times, heh. Ugh. I'm sure something can be built-in to stop it. I'm just planning on jumping off when I want to stop it.
Hmm, can't embed his video. Blackshadowwind - "Animated Pixel Art" on YT.

Ok, I rewired the whole thing and it's still behaving the same way, ahh! Except now, quick from tele 2 through 6 to 1 and then backwards slowly from 1 down through 6-5-4-3-2 then fast again.

Last edited:
Thank you, sir! Yeah, this is my first attempt at using a dummy ghost loop, so I wasn't entirely sure how to get everything working the right way. I ran wire back and forth across the entire distance of all the frames at least 12 times, heh. Ugh. I'm sure something can be built-in to stop it. I'm just planning on jumping off when I want to stop it.

Well, luckily (I take it you are editing in game) it's a relatively quick fix now. Just remove the connections from the horizontally running wires to the teleporters and bump them over one to the right. You can save some wire by making the wire connection from pressure plate 6 to the teleporters 1 and 6 counter clockwise around the hoik loop and underneath the teleporters. Also will save you money (assuming you are building "legitamitely", i.e. without a map editor)

EDIT: I had a look at your YT channel. Interesting content. For future reference, you can embed images directly into a thread with the "Upload a File" button. Welcome to the T-MEC forums.
[DOUBLEPOST=1451176284,1451168309][/DOUBLEPOST]
Ok, I rewired the whole thing and it's still behaving the same way, ahh! Except now, quick from tele 2 through 6 to 1 and then backwards slowly from 1 down through 6-5-4-3-2 then fast again.

@Fury Give a link for world download.

Last edited:
I'm trying to make an "S" Mount Hoik, but I can't figure out how to transfer from a side hoik to a up hoik, because it keeps ejecting me.

I am unclear of the objective here. What mount sizes do you plan on using with this track. What happens at the track end?

@Eotall made an excellent mounted actor build, http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/mount-hoik-tracks-and-teleportation.37197/, which is also the first build that I am aware of on this forum to deal with mounted actors. Eotall's thread is chock full of detailed information. Moving the actor around is not difficult if you are only concerned with one mounted actor height. Dealing with different mount heights is much harder.

Yes, as @inomanoms stated above, making a track working for all mounts is very difficult as all the mounts seem to have different sizes (mind you, not just the turtle and unicorn mounts being a size category bigger than the others, but from my testing there seems to be differences within the size categories as well).

The easiest way to build a mount hoik is following the prioritization found by inomanoms combined with the mount hoik diagram (fig.3) found in the above mentioned thread (the one showing the direction and magnitude of push made by different hoiks).
This diagram doesn't show the effects of vertical hoiking, but a lot of guides for that are available on youtube and surely on the forum.

If you're having trouble with the transitions between horizontal and vertical, just make sure to follow the prioritization and imagine where your actor will be every tick. Good luck!

(if you want more help figuring a transition out, I'll have some time for that in a few days ;) )

Basic Question: What items do you use to make your stuff? (character downloads would be awesome if possible) Also, do you use materials all legitimately earned through gameplay, or use a certain mod to give items, etc?

Can someone tell me what is wrong with this farm... Did they patch this?

Attachments

• Capture 2016-04-11 17_53_44.png
    Capture 2016-04-11 17_53_44.png
    307.3 KB · Views: 96
Can someone tell me what is wrong with this farm... Did they patch this?
Are you trying to get mimic drops? If yes, that won't work because they are statue spawned mimics.
Or are you trying to get some ectoplasm? If yes, that won't work either because "As of 1.3.0.1, statue-spawned monsters no longer spawn Dungeon Spirits."--Terraria Wiki

Also, you didn't wire the dart traps.

Are you trying to get mimic drops? If yes, that won't work because they are statue spawned mimics.
Or are you trying to get some ectoplasm? If yes, that won't work either because "As of 1.3.0.1, statue-spawned monsters no longer spawn Dungeon Spirits."--Terraria Wiki

Also, you didn't wire the dart traps.
Thanks man really Appreciated! didnt know they patched the ectoplasms!
Do you know a way to farm ectoplasms like the mimics?

What d'ya think, people? Time to archive this thread away and start a brand new Questions Thread for 1.3.1 to re-inject some energy?

Whomever is willing and able, go right ahead!;)Link back to this thread (from the top of the new one) and add a post at the end of here to link to the new one, then I'll lock this up and unpin it...

Anybody know how to make a dart trap fire randomly? Say, every 'x' seconds, the dart trap will have a 'y' percent chance to fire?

Anybody know how to make a dart trap fire randomly? Say, every 'x' seconds, the dart trap will have a 'y' percent chance to fire?
http://forums.terraria.org/index.ph...3-1-wiring-mechanics.43646/page-2#post-982621 explains how to make things random(inside the spoiler)
In a simple case where x=5 and y=50, place dart trap, 5 second timer and any logic gate with an on lamp, off lamp and a faulty lamp on top. Wire timer to faulty lamp, gate to the dart trap. Turn on the timer. If you have very precise and non-integer x and y requirements it can get somewhat more complex. Hope this helps.
P.S. Don't forget dart trap ~3.3 seconds cooldown time

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom