Friends bringing in hardmode stuff, advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SodaDarwin

Steampunker
I'm trying to have a nice game on expert mode, with friends, but problem is they always insist on bringing in stuff from hardmode and thus leading to... problems. Including me feeling completely useless. One does it because they just do, I guess they hate the grind, and the other does it because they apparently 'cannot' play without that stuff anymore. At this point, I just don't know what to do, whether to just play alone or shut down the server (I do steam multiplayer) every time they try joining with those kinds of characters. The first one seems rude and boring, and the other seems /really/ rude and tedious.

As is, it's annoying and straight up unfun, as now I can't discover the joy and hilarity of things as they come and instead have them straight up thrown in my face. When it gets to be that a boss is one of them standing there and the other using a megashark with physics defying homing bullets, that's just... boring. Especially since I do nowhere near the same amount of damage they do. I don't have anybody else to play this with, as the only other person I know who has just straight up goes 'no' whenever I mention the game. (...they do that a lot)

Raining cats gets really boring after the first couple seconds, and piles of coins that lag the game and make my ears bleed when they're cut down are straight up... well, earbleeding. I need advice on how to handle this situation without looking like a giant assolotl.

personally I would tell them outright when the play through that it would be from scratch so that if they want to participate then new character no gear(maybe exceptions for vanity but that would be my limit) as it is it sounds like you have gotten to the point where you are too deep into the play through to go back to doing it correctly. I would either start a new file emphasizing the conditions. As is I recommend shutting down the server and listing your grievances those who can't play well with others don't deserve to play with others is my mentality...

You're in a spot that many have found themselves in. When push comes to shove, people who actually enjoy the fresh, new challenge of starting completely from scratch are the minority. We have to live with the fact that we are likely to have friends who do not and WILL not.

Sounds like you just have to lay down your rules. If you want to experience expert mode from the ground up, tell them that either they can start new characters and join you, or not play with you while you're doing this. If none of them are interested, just play solo.

Now, I'd also play with them some at other times, with your advanced characters or whatever, whenever you want that social experience. But if you've made it clear that you want to experience a new, from the beginning playthough, and they won't respect that, then they're the ones being rude, not you.

Well that was fast.
I've already said, multiple times, I wanted it to be from scratch, so that's already happened. We've kinda got two worlds going, one crimson the other corruption. On the latter, we've raided the dungeon and such, the other we only beat queen bee (accidentally summoned, somehow, without entering the hive. Strange.) and the EoC.
I do really want to try and force my hand, and know I won't be the one who's beeing an :red:, but still feels... rude. With how many times I have told, both blatantly and implied, that I don't want this hardmode stuff, I think they just won't listen. So yeah, I might have to run it singleplayer or somesuch.
Boo.

If they're rude, and they absolutely completely refuse to not use their old characters, stop playing with them, period.

Well that was fast.
I've already said, multiple times, I wanted it to be from scratch, so that's already happened. We've kinda got two worlds going, one crimson the other corruption. On the latter, we've raided the dungeon and such, the other we only beat queen bee (accidentally summoned, somehow, without entering the hive. Strange.) and the EoC.
I do really want to try and force my hand, and know I won't be the one who's beeing an :red:, but still feels... rude. With how many times I have told, both blatantly and implied, that I don't want this hardmode stuff, I think they just won't listen. So yeah, I might have to run it singleplayer or somesuch.
Boo.
That's not rude whatsoever. Its your server, your world, you need to lay down the law, and if they won't accept that, stop playing with them.

Well, if you can figure out how to set up an actual server (Not just from Steam's) you can get TShock which allows for server side characters. If you can't do that, then I agree with the other people in this thread as it is your server, your rules. If they don't respect that, don't play with them.

Look, if someone isn't listening to you, are they really your friend? A friend will listen no matter what, and take in what you have to say. Sounds to me like they are making excuses because they don't like starting over.

You have 2 choices here, tell them they start fresh, or consequences will ensue, or just not let them on. I like playing with other people, but if they aren't listening, why do they deserve to play with you? Its your world, your server, and your decision. Sometimes, you have to be the authority view and that may force your hand. I'm gonna bet some of the moderators here on TCF don't like banning or punishing people. But if multiple warnings do not get the person to stop, out with em.

However, this is your decision, not ours. You can live with the frustration of them constantly having endgame items, or get rid of them.

Tell them that they need to either leave their hardmode items at home, or GTFO. Why play Expert when you're just going to skip everything?

I like the "assolotl" thing, so you're okay in my book.
If you are really set on playing Expert multiplayer, I would really be happy to play with you - and I can even bring in a new character. I will say that it's above a lot of people to playthrough from scratch, so just tell 'em: "new character" and don't let them whine. House rules, I guess. It comes with the server host.

Wow that's a lot of roughly unaminous agreement: these friends are being rude and stupid.
Now the Crimson world is ready to take on the WoF whenever, but... I don't know if they'll just wreck it up and get it over with or not. To throw them out now, yeah they do rather deserve it (I'm talking to you Mr MEOW-and-Portal-me-when-I'm-Crafting and Mr Build-a-Beach-House-and-Steal-the-Villagers).
So, hopefully, I can work up the spine and nerve to confront them about this. Whenever they wake up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom