Game runs in "Slow motion" or low fps?

I play on 800x600 res, no multicore lighting, trippy lighting, no background and fullscreen, Parallax 0%, blood and gore off.

My specs are as follows:
Processor:AMD Athelon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ 2.60 GHz
RAM:4.00 GB RAM (3454 MB)
BIOS: Phoinex-AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Graphics Card:NVIDEA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
HP Model: s3401f
I wouldn't call your specs low-tier, but since 1.3, things have gotten pretty high in terms of requirements, especially Multiplayer. However, I am aware that people with very high specs have the same issue, and I've encountered it myself to some degree. Ever since 1.3, there's been an uproar on how people are lagging when using Multiplayer or in general. A lot of that has been fixed, and a lot of it has to do with specs.

Other than waiting for them to patch it, there doesn't seem to be a fix other than messing around with Nvidia control panel to turn off V-Sync, going full screen, and other things. Google yields a good few suggestions, most of the time.

EDIT: Oh, and I'd upgrade to Windows 7 if I were you.

I wouldn't call your specs low-tier, but since 1.3, things have gotten pretty high in terms of requirements, especially Multiplayer. However, I am aware that people with very high specs have the same issue, and I've encountered it myself to some degree. Ever since 1.3, there's been an uproar on how people are lagging when using Multiplayer or in general. A lot of that has been fixed, and a lot of it has to do with specs.

Other than waiting for them to patch it, there doesn't seem to be a fix other than messing around with Nvidia control panel to turn off V-Sync, going full screen, and other things. Google yields a good few suggestions, most of the time.

EDIT: Oh, and I'd upgrade to Windows 7 if I were you.

I see a lot of people saying "the game only runs on super-computers since 1.3." It's annoying, because the game runs perfectly at 60 FPS with the highest settings possible at 720p, on my $250 laptop that has 3 GB of RAM and an AMD A6-5200 APU (512 MB VRAM), which is about as terrible as a modern computer gets these days. So people should stop giving false information saying "Your PC isn't good enough" when they have 2 GB of VRAM and a 3.0 GHz CPU with 4+ cores (I'm exaggerating, but you get the point).

*sigh*

The problem I'm having is that on my new laptop, my FPS is locked at 42-45 FPS with frameskip on or off (game running in slow-motion, occasional stuttering), and all I've found on Google so far is that I should turn on VSync in the NVIDIA control panel and turn off frameskip. I've always hated VSync because of the input delay it introduces, so I refuse to turn it on long-term.

Changing the resolution from 1080p to 720p didn't change anything, but when I have the time I'll see what turning on VSync and putting it into Windowed Mode does. *bleh*

This is my old laptop: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...m_re=HP_laptop_A6-5200-_-34-259-951-_-Product
This is my new laptop: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2848&cm_re=asus_laptop-_-34-232-848-_-Product

Running a GTX 960m, 8 GB of RAM, and an Intel Core-i7 4720HQ (2.60 GHz, 4 cores, 8 threads), and Windows 10 Home.

Last edited:
i am having horrible lag spikes mouse delaying and slow motion i have a amazing desktop computer i cant play terraria please fix all these lags

Dunno if everyone is still having problems but, I literally just went into full-screen mode instead of windowed and had constant 60 fps, hope this weird fix helps someone.

Dunno if everyone is still having problems but, I literally just went into full-screen mode instead of windowed and had constant 60 fps, hope this weird fix helps someone.

There is an issue with Aero enabled/disabled. I run it windowed with Aero enabled, and it runs fine. When I disable Aero and run it windowed it slows down to 30 fps. Fixes itself by going fullscreen and staying there. Honestly not sure if this is Terraria or just .NET being stupid.

The main reason, as far as I can tell, for the fps drop is the fact they added extremely large amounts of dynamic lighting. The fact there's no option to disable it is plainly lazy on the developer's part.

The main reason, as far as I can tell, for the fps drop is the fact they added extremely large amounts of dynamic lighting. The fact there's no option to disable it is plainly lazy on the developer's part.
Well, it could be worse. Just look at Starbound, it has absolutely no performance settings whatsoever.

When I first launched this game I was getting 50-60 fps in single player and 30-40 fps in multiplayer, but this stopped pretty much after the first launch. My usual single player rates are down to 30 tops with 10 for mp. Later when I was alt tabbing and going back and forth to the wiki I managed to freeze the game(low memory issues presumably) and it wouldn't force close at first so I forced closed everything from steam to the browser to the game. Finally my pc caught up and everything went down, when I got it back up and running I was suddenly at 40+ fps in multiplayer. This lasted until the server had to restart and I closed my game for a little bit, logging back in later and back to low 15-20 fps.

I'm on dual core 1.8ghz cpu with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600, running Windows 7. It would be awesome if I could make that weird moment stick, having high fps as a glitch seems odd.

"Hey, 1.3.1 was still 1 fps while online with friends. Let's see if they fixed it in 1.3.2!"

"Wow, it's still buggered! And now single player is slowed down too."

"Oh, 1.3.2.1? Maybe... nope still 1 fps."

1 fps while hosting or trying to play with friends. I have put 641 hours into the game, so I can't say I haven't gotten my monies worth. Hell, the only reason I started using Steam was because of Terraria. It was the 1st game I ever bought on Steam(Purchased: May 16, 2011 @ 4:06pm Terraria-$9.99 Release day.) and now.. I can't even enjoy playing it anymore. Started out being able to play it on a crap netbook, then the lighting system got a big update and I couldn't even load it on there anymore. Now I can only play in single player on my current PC but it's slowed down so much that it's hard to enjoy. I've tried full screen. I've got everything as low as I can. Tried all the options and nada makes it better.

It's pretty damn depressing to see an update and know I can't even enjoy it or play it with friends.

Last edited:
"Hey, 1.3.1 was still 1 fps while online with friends. Let's see if they fixed it in 1.3.2!"

"Wow, it's still buggered! And now single player is slowed down too."

"Oh, 1.3.2.1? Maybe... nope still 1 fps."

1 fps while hosting or trying to play with friends. I have put 641 hours into the game, so I can't say I haven't gotten my monies worth. Hell, the only reason I started using Steam was because of Terraria. It was the 1st game I ever bought on Steam(Purchased: May 16, 2011 @ 4:06pm Terraria-$9.99 Release day.) and now.. I can't even enjoy playing it anymore. Started out being able to play it on a crap netbook, then the lighting system got a big update and I couldn't even load it on there anymore. Now I can only play in single player on my current PC but it's slowed down so much that it's hard to enjoy. I've tried full screen. I've got everything as low as I can. Tried all the options and nada makes it better.

It's pretty damn depressing to see an update and know I can't even enjoy it or play it with friends.
It's not Terraria, is your hardware. Please understand not everyone has the same hardware, so different settings WILL be required to run it smoothly. If we don't know your full system specs, we cannot help you.

AMD E-350 1.6ghz Dual core
8 gigs memory
AMD Radeon HD 6310 4gig memory
DX 11
win 7

Here's my specs, from a year ago when this problem 1st started. I guess it's silly of me to hope something might've changed in that time.

To confirm, you have tried all of the different lighting and frameskip options - yeah? And nothing makes any difference?

Yes, Retro lighting. No Backgrounds, no parallax. I've tried with and without multicore lighting. Hosting or playing on friends server it's 1 fps. Full screen and windowed. It started a year ago. Before that I could play online. Course online would die horribly during any of the events. But now it's 1 fps. WIth and without gore... it's been frustrating.

Yes, Retro lighting. No Backgrounds, no parallax. I've tried with and without multicore lighting. Hosting or playing on friends server it's 1 fps. Full screen and windowed. It started a year ago. Before that I could play online. Course online would die horribly during any of the events. But now it's 1 fps. WIth and without gore... it's been frustrating.
Could you please try going to your Steam/steamapps/common/terraria directory and run the dedicated server directly, and join it via IP (127.0.0.1), and see if runs into framedrops ?
When you try to join your friends in multiplayer, do you join via steam or via IP?
(the framedrops are most likely not related to the graphics options, so use whichever ones you like)

I've done both, steam and IP.

Dedicated server, joined via IP and it's 1 (0) (0%) on the fps counter. CPU isn't even maxed out. Nor is my memory.

Main Menu runs at 40-60 fps. Single player world runs 15-30 fps cause I already know my pc sucks. Events generally trash my fps too cause there's just too much stuff going on.

I've made a suggestion before about adding an option for turning off enemy and multiplayer lighting effects to ease FPS tanking during events. But, I dunno how feasible it is.

But, this 1 fps I don't even know what causes it.

Upgrading to new windows will cause these problems, you have to install it clean. Something goes wrong with .NET when you just upgrade.

Since I haven't updated to new windows I don't think that applies to me. I was Win 7 a year ago and today and little desire to go to win 10.

Uninstalled, reinstalled.. 1 (0) (0%) fps host and play.

Last edited:
Since I haven't updated to new windows I don't think that applies to me. I was Win 7 a year ago and today and little desire to go to win 10.

Uninstalled, reinstalled.. 1 (0) (0%) fps host and play.
Ah sorry, I didn't see you were not the original poster.

Back
Top Bottom