Working as Designed Gemspark blocks merging with other blocks now (?)

Nanoodles

Terrarian
Steam or GOG
Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Single
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
Hi all,

To start off, I'm not totally sure if this is a bug, or just a visual change for the gemspark blocks. However, I used Gemspark blocks in my 1.3 world in my entrance, but when I went to my world after updating, they looked vastly different. Gemspark blocks used to not "attach" to other blocks, ie. merge with them, but now they do. Due to this, they have lost their texture when surrounded by other blocks and are now mostly just a solid color. I'm not sure if this is intentional or not, but it kind of killed the look of my entrance.

As an example, here is a glimpse at how my entrance used to look in the past. Notice how the skyplate blocks don't "merge" with the gemspark blocks, as they have the little line around the edges of the blocks.

entranceold.jpg

Here is how they look now. They now merge with the skyplate blocks, and have lost most their texture.

entrancenew.png

Again, I'm unsure if this is a bug or a just a change, but I wanted to post here just in case.

Was wondering about this. I'm not sure where to start, but is it feasible to back port [I backed up the v1.3.-.- files] the previous block textures as use them as a texture pack? Like I said, I'm not sure how I'd go about doing so, but if it's possible I can try?

This was not a texture change, its actually a code change to their merge behavior.

It would be possible to mod this, but texture packing would not be possible.

This was not a texture change, its actually a code change to their merge behavior.

Would there be a good place that I could start to find what would need to be done? I don't mind making the changes - or at least trying to, I've no idea where to start though.

So the code change lead to the texture change and now gemspark, dynasty etc. merges and looks worse then before? Will this be reverted? Because it kinda destroys old builds and especially the usage of gemspark blocks if they just look like a flat block with color.
Also offline gemspark blocks still merge like they did before 1.4 (first gif). Is this how it's supposed to be or am I missing something?

Of course I do not have knowledge about the code itself and how it works but this makes me a little bit disappointed. It was fine the way it was before. Not only do my old builds now look way worse also the explaination sounds like "We made code change - it looked worse - so be it" (It's not a bug, it's a feature). I hope this will be reverted or someone can make a modpack.

Of course I do not have knowledge about the code itself and how it works but this makes me a little bit disappointed. It was fine the way it was before. Not only do my old builds now look way worse also the explaination sounds like "We made code change - it looked worse - so be it" (It's not a bug, it's a feature). I hope this will be reverted or someone can make a modpack.

I second this. Block merging wasn't an appropriate change made to terraria.

I've spent more time on the forums since this update went live when I discovered the changes made to block behavior.
It wasn't right to do.

This forces builders to stay on a defunct version of terraria to get the effects they want.

For 7 Major PATCHES stone slab and sandstone slab behaved in unique ways to avoid fusion with surrounding blocks and overnight, this went to hell.

I hope this will be reverted or someone can make a modpack.

@Nirke The passage I underlined was a point I wanted to rebut. At any time, A mod author can discontinue a mod they worked on which results in builds that were made in non vanilla being broken because of either a hotfix or major patch. I've seen this happen before and because of this, I will only undertake major projects on vanilla.

As for the non underlined points, I'm with you on that. I hope this will be reverted.

Please fix this, relogic. Please do it soon because I want nothing more than to build again and this patch has caused me nothing but grief

I've spent more time on the forums since this update went live when I discovered the changes made to block behavior.
It wasn't right to do.

This forces builders to stay on a defunct version of terraria to get the effects they want.

For 7 Major PATCHES stone slab and sandstone slab behaved in unique ways to avoid fusion with surrounding blocks and overnight, this went to hell.

@Nirke The passage I underlined was a point I wanted to rebut. At any time, A mod author can discontinue a mod they worked on which results in builds that were made in non vanilla being broken because of either a hotfix or major patch. I've seen this happen before and because of this, I will only undertake major projects on vanilla.

As for the non underlined points, I'm with you on that. I hope this will be reverted.

Please fix this, relogic. Please do it soon because I want nothing more than to build again and this patch has caused me nothing but grief
Discussion for or against this topic is not relevant to the bug report. Please instead use threads for discussing that change: Renovate some block behaviour in Journey's End to prevoius or alternate it.

I'm sorry to revive this post, but I began to play Terraria recently and I'm loving it. I found your post with this awesome base and I fell in love. OP, do you still have this world available? I'd love to get the world file to go around and explore your base if it's not too much trouble. Awesome base, awesome design.

Back
Top Bottom