Game Mechanics Grappling Hook Mods

stormconure

Duke Fishron
Yes, it's me again, back for ANOTHER suggestion about modifiers. Grappling hooks have kinda become their own class of tool, so why not apply mods to them? I'm hoping to make this thread short and sweet, so let's get to it shall we?

Modifiers could affect the following things:
Reach: Simply changes how long a hook can reach out.
Speed: Affects both how fast the hook flies when thrown and how fast it pulls you in.
Hooks: Increases or decreases the amount of hooks that can be active at any one time.
Knockback Resistance: affects how much you are affected by knockback while the hook is active (explained below).

I would also like to change one thing: the whole issue with being 100% knockback resistant while hooked. Here is how it should be changed:
If you get hit while grappled, you are thrown back half as much as you would be normally. You are then pulled back to position, remaining grappled. However, 25% of the time the hook will break, causing you to take normal knockback.
If you have multiple hooks active, the knockback is reduced even more. It is cut in half for every active hook. For one hook you take half as much; for two hooks you take 1/4 as much; for three you take 1/8 as much, and so on. Also, every hook has its own breaking chance; one hook could break and another remain.
Modifiers would affect this (stated above); for a hook with +5% knockback resistance, you would take 45% knockback after being hit, and so on.
Any of the Cobalt Shield upgrades will prevent both the knockback and the breaking of the hooks

One more thing: the tile reach is now stated in the hook's tooltip.

Kinda complex. Hopefully you understood at least some of that. What do you think?

(I didn't really succeed at the short and sweet thing, did I?)

Last edited:
I support the modifiers, but not the thing about knockback. It would mess up my Pumpkin/Frost Moon setup, as I would have to either wear the Ankh Shield (which takes away DPS) or re-grapple every minute.

I support the modifiers, but not the thing about knockback. It would mess up my Pumpkin/Frost Moon setup, as I would have to either wear the Ankh Shield (which takes away DPS) or re-grapple every minute.
Well i figured it would balance the game more. It makes more snese than a rope preventing all motion...

This seems like a cool idea, but i was wondering if anybody had the code or some sort of tutorial for a custom hook?

i have an idea for a grappling hook mod:
grappling mobs
grappling smaller mobs pulls them towards you, grappling larger mobs pulls you towards them
or you are pulled towards the mob, regardless of size

Could you imagine a portal hook? You use it and it immediately grabs the platform/block and pulls you through the portal. That would be an OP end game item.

Back
Top Bottom