Blocks & Decoration Heated and Electrified Wire - Making Any Block Dangerous!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daimera

Terrarian
This is an old suggestion of mine that I'm resurrecting from Terraria Online. I looked around and couldn't find anyone else bringing it up here (though it's hard to go through everything, but I tried a few searches and didn't turn anything up so I'm gonna plop it here.

This idea was brought to mind by making this monstruosity:
9jRTfme.jpg
...I was wondering how it could be made functional. Aside from the fact that I'd need to double the size to make gravity-flip physics work. Adding existing spikes is all well and good, but it just doesn't have quite the shocking appearance with the economy of space as angled gemspark blocks.

So my suggestion is a type of actuator-esque wire addon that can turn any solid block into a 'damage' block.

DB5XGtK.gif

Shown are a normal actuator, next to symbols for heated wire, electrified wire, and... ...well, probably-best-not-to-touch-this-wire.
- Heated wire would make a block function like Hellstone, Hellstone brick, and meteor. Likewise, heated blocks could be mitigated with accessories. It could possibly emit a fire particle at a glance.

Naturally, it would be nice for this to be preceded with a fix to angled heat blocks not actually hurting people, as has been pointed out by multiple other users.

- Electrified wire would deal contact damage similar to spikes. What kind of spikes they mimic would depend on if the world is Hardmode or not. Either that or there could be two variants (with different color). It could possibly emit a slight sparking particle at a glance.

- The last one is... well... Something that will kill you. Very quickly, if not instantly. Not sure about a particle effect, but probably faint black 'flame' particles. Probably needs a better name than Death wire (as much as I would love to call it 'lol u ded wire")

- Wiring up existing spikes or heat blocks with any of these may or may not compound their effects and kill you way quicker, depends on how hard that would be to code.​

- Like actuators and lights, they can be toggled on and off with switches, and should synergize with gemspark lighting. Light up that elecrified floor!

This is an aesthetic suggestion that would mainly serve the purpose of allowing more visual flexibility in the construction of challenge and/or themed adventure maps, so that persistent environmental damage sources are not limited to two types of spikes, three types of 'heat blocks' (meteor, hellstone, hellstone brick), and lava. Make some neat timer-based jumping puzzles. Create a lab with draconian security. Make your dungeons really, REALLY punishing.

Outside of challenge maps, there could also possibly be PvE variants (the way there is a distinction between types of pressure plates), which could be used to deal damage to mobs, for more varied base defense than lava moats and Lihzahrd Traps, though since no other damage blocks in the game as of yet affect mobs, I'm not sure how that would be implemented. But it's a thought.

Last edited:
Wow, you have made something from this game in space that has a light blue flipping creature...

Also, yes please! I would like that! Also please fix burning blocks not burning you when slanted AND not wearing gear that removes the burning debuff.

I find myself slightly perturbed by the "Death" one. I feel that in PVP scenarios, it would be OP. But I'm also not a PVP player, so whatever. In any case:

RXqBtvH.png

Scironex Seal of Approval

i like this idea. having more things to kill you is always fun (not) right?
but with the death one, maybe when you step on it, it would give a sound and after a second or 2, cause its efect. only the death one, since it may insta kill you.
support.

I find myself slightly perturbed by the "Death" one. I feel that in PVP scenarios, it would be OP. But I'm also not a PVP player, so whatever.
but with the death one, maybe when you step on it, it would give a sound and after a second or 2, cause its efect. only the death one, since it may insta kill you.
Yeah, I don't really know how to balance the "death" wires... it's more based on the idea that instadeath is a thing in harder games and might be fun for, again, challenge and adventure maps, but not so fun for casual play. Making them delay the death with a tell to let people know would sort of defeat that aesthetic, which is why it'd be nice if they had a particle effect so you'd know at a glance that this gon kill u o shi-. Maybe it's not JUST a particle effect, but also a pattern overlay, like black 'veins' or cracks.

An alternative would be it just affects you damage-wise as if you were touching lava, though again that sort of defeats the purpose. Maybe "lava" could be an alternate heated wire type or setting. The floor is lava! Without actually being lava!

Perhaps death blocks could just be buried in the source code for people who use map editors or creative-mode mods to put together adventure maps to use, but can't be found naturally, bought, or otherwise crafted in-game for players just playing normally. And if people use cheats or mods to add them for trolling purposes... well, that's on them being jerks and others would have to take that into consideration before playing with them. :dryadtongue:

I only worry about hardcore characters, but even so, if you're going to run a hardcore character in an unfamiliar world given to you by someone who is known to use mods, you should be careful anyway. Either that or they're just hard-coded to not affect hardcore characters. idek.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom