Weapons & Equip Hellbolt Greaves: Frostspark Boots + Lava Waders

Ryei

Official Terrarian
It really bugged me that I have to take up TWO slots for two boots (that mind you, both have Lime rarity) that could easily be combined.

They are about the same progression into the game (Lava Charm, Ice Skates, Water Walking Boots, Hermes Boots, Aglet, and Anklets are all obtainable as soon as you start with some luck, Rocket Boots are sold by Goblin Tinkerer, about post-EoW/BoC phase, which is when Hellstone/Obsidian phase starts, and Obsidian is real easy to get.)

It's a very simple suggestions. Any criticism?

(PS, I also think it should be the first nonexclusive item to have Cyan as a base rarity, because they're both Lime rarity.)

It really bugged me that I have to take up TWO slots for two boots (that mind you, both have Lime rarity) that could easily be combined.

They are about the same progression into the game (Lava Charm, Ice Skates, Water Walking Boots, Hermes Boots, Aglet, and Anklets are all obtainable as soon as you start with some luck, Rocket Boots are sold by Goblin Tinkerer, about post-EoW/BoC phase, which is when Hellstone/Obsidian phase starts, and Obsidian is real easy to get.)

It's a very simple suggestions. Any criticism?

(PS, I also think it should be the first nonexclusive item to have Cyan as a base rarity, because they're both Lime rarity.)
This is just about as overdone as any Cthulhu suggestion. No. It's OP. Just no. Unless there's some sort of balancing mechanism that the last one hundred people haven't come up with, no thanks.

(Although the name is refreshingly original and good)

1. Unoriginal
2. Unecessary
3. Having 2 at the same time adds a challenge, besides, we don't use Lava Waders all the time

So, overall,

*whacks you with a pan*

ewJjxKv.png

Feel free to use it if you want

This was already confirmed to be never getting to the game by Red.

He has stated that Lava Waders + Frostspark Boots is too OP as it is
Which doesn't make any sense, because Lava Waders don't do anything to increase combat effectiveness. They're a situational exploration tool. So how can adding them to another item make that item overpowered when they don't add any "power" to it.

Which doesn't make any sense, because Lava Waders don't do anything to increase combat effectiveness. They're a situational exploration tool. So how can adding them to another item make that item overpowered when they don't add any "power" to it.
This. I have always been confused as to why people say its overpowered. We have the ankh shield, which provides extra defence, counters 11 debuffs, and knockback immunity.

By comparison the lava waders do what? They allow you to walk on liquids, submerge in lava safely for 7 seconds, and resistance from the burning debuff, which is also part of the ankh shield. Honestly, this is mostly for mobility and exploration in the Underworld, just like the ice skates are only useful in the Snow biome. Only the liquid walking part will see use outside the underworld level, and I can't see this offering any combat utility.

Balance?
We're talking about an accessory that makes us capable of walking on lava and one that makes us capable of running considerably fast.
The same game has mounts that let you fly infinitely - for example over lava - and fast - faster than you can run - so I can't see the logic here. Today everyone yells "no it would be OP" in every single topic. Come on, we can fly infinitely... ...noone uses Lava Waders nowadays, nor does anyone use Frostspark Boots.

Okay, there were times when Frostspark Boots were almost good. Almost, combined with Asphalt it was kinda fast, but most peope ignored it even back then, because it was just simpler to fly instead of building an Asphalt arena.
Frostspark is completely ignored now because of two things:
You can fly faster and infinitely with mounts, not to mention how much faster hovering wings are then running.
Asphalt is now obsolete as MineCart Tracks are superior in every single way, so you have no reason to build asphalt arenas, the other use of Frostspark Boots.
Short version: Frostspark boots are pretty much useless now from the very first point in the game when you find Iron Ore and Wood.

Lava Waders, do I really have to tell you guys that we can now fly infinitely with mounts? No need for the ability to walk over lava. Nobody used them after killing the Wall of Flesh.
Short version: Lava Waders aren't important or strong either.

Sooo, combining two useless accessories, that wouldn't break the game.
Actually that wouldn't make much sense either, as these accessories even combined would remain useless, but why are people against it so much?

To be honest I wanted the final product to be even better than just the frostspark + waders.
Add an obsidian rose and give it full immunity from lava.
Add more speed from some lunar event drop.
Give it even more jumping ability from frog legs.
Heck give it a dash feature, so you can accelerate to full speed instantly.

Like was said just above, we can fly infinitely, so give the boots more bonuses until they are somewhat useful at endgame.

Support so much, so many people have suggested it and the people who think it is op obviously don't understand balancing at all. It gives you no real combat advantage, just small lava invulnerability and water walking. It would actually give less buffs then the Celestial Shell.

Okay, you're welcome to convince him you know the game better and he should reverse his prior decision. I'll keep switching between the two as needed. Takes a second max. Convincing the guy who made the game that he's wrong and you're right would take a little longer than that.

As for endgame items, once you've defeated the final boss balance is no longer an issue, don't you think?

[eta] By the way, there's already a mechanism for implementing things the devs haven't or won't put in the game. Mods. I think that's the appropriate route to take if you prefer getting to your goal instead of bashing your head against a wall to show how serious you are.

I would prefer to just keep them in. Situational accessories like the Lava Charm and Waders almost never get a good tinker worth using, while the Frostspark Boots are sometimes as important as wings or a shield. If you think about all the bonuses we get:
  • Walking on water
  • Walking on lava
  • Immunity to fire blocks (correct me if this is outdated)
  • 7 seconds immunity to lava
  • Weak vertical flight
  • 7% increased movement speed
  • Increase mobility on ice
  • Sprinting

Back
Top Bottom