Hotbar and menu bugs (possibly alt-tab related)

Awakened_Arti

Terrarian
I've owned Terraria since around 2011-2012, and have clocked about 2100 hours on it, and I have never encountered this bug before.

**THIS BUG APPEARED A WEEK PRIOR TO MOD INSTALLATION, SO I AM ONE HUNDRED PERCENT CERTAIN IT ISN'T MOD RELATED**

Whenever I alt-tab, or click outside the game window, Terraria will sometimes react in frustrating, gameplay disrupting ways. Including:

-The hotbar refusing to allow you to scroll to different items
-The hotbar jumping back to a previous item once the attack button isn't pressed down
-forcing the character to run in one direction until that direction button is pressed
-automatically consuming buff potions
-automatically dropping an item (even with no throw button assigned)
-the keybindings menu ignoring mouseclicks and randomly choosing a key when you CAN interract
-automatically grappling to a nearby surface

Along with this, I have had an issue where the cursor on the main menu will automatically jump to the topmost selection when you click, no matter where on screen you do so, forcing the mouse to instantly jump there (I almost had this delete a game save, I had to forcibly alt-f4 out of the game, since I couldn't actually manually exit through menus))

I have a video here that displays some of the mentioned bugs.

(I recorded this to log it, my attitude is just general frustration, not directed at anybody)

I have already dug around online and have only found one or two old posts relating to it, and even those are only tangentially related to my issue, with no solutions in sight.

Any assistance from folks here would be MASSIVELY appreciated. It is making playing the game immensely frustrating.

**EDIT:

Here is a video displaying the same bugs in vanilla, just to set in stone that it isn't because of a mod (even though I was already 100% sure, this is for those who would tell me I was incorrect.)

Last edited:
I'm going to move this to tech support; you indicate the issue did not used to happen, and as far as I can tell, it appeared recently for you. Terraria hasn't had any recent updates, so its unlikely to be a specific issue on our end.

If I had to guess, something changed in a recent Windows update or possibly other drivers or programs on your computer are interfering.

I'm going to move this to tech support; you indicate the issue did not used to happen, and as far as I can tell, it appeared recently for you. Terraria hasn't had any recent updates, so its unlikely to be a specific issue on our end.

If I had to guess, something changed in a recent Windows update or possibly other drivers or programs on your computer are interfering.
Any idea how I could check on that? I am not computer-savvy enough to try and figure out the solution. I have a friend who also plays, and uses windows 10, so I am baffled as to why they are not suffering the same issue : (

Also, sorry for posting in the wrong forum, I generally never use forums, but I've gotten desperate regarding this issue. I have found it is ABSOLUTELY associated with clicking outside the window or alt-tabbimg. I can play for hours with no issue, but the moment I click outside terraria any number of these issues will occur.

1 Year later and I still have the same problem. :(

May I ask what keyboard you use? Does the issue still happen with another keyboard? If you reinstall your keyboard drivers, does the same behavior still happen? (let me know if you need to know how to reinstall keyboard drivers.)

Back
Top Bottom