How do i stop corruption from spreading to my house when i just entered hardmode?

AER09

Terrarian
I just recently defeated the wall of flesh and im in hardmode now. The corruption is very close to my house and in order to stop the spread i need the steampunk. And in order to get steampunk you need to defeat a mechanical boss which takes me a long time to prepare for. In that time corruption will destroy my house. I really don't wanna lose my npc:s.

Thanks in advance!

This might sound weird, but get hallowed seeds from the dryad and turn the area around your house into a hallowed biome. Corruption can't spread into the hallow and NPCs are fine with living there, and then once you have steampunker you should be able to purify the area again.

Right now your best possible action to keep the place pure would be cutting the corrupted land out, a large enough hole will do the trick until you can get a clentaminator.
First, you will want a hardmode pickaxe, orichalcum/mythril will do but adamtite/titanium is ideal, though there is not much time so make what you think is the right decision.

Corruption can spread up to 6 blocks away, so you will need to dig out an at least 6-wide tunnel separating the land, this can be a U shaped cutout of the biome or a tunnel to hell, the tunnel is a lot faster but it does mean the rest of your world is unsafe still, you can also just dig out half of the way, since you a buying time instead of a perfect solution. You can do this with a molten/nightmare pickaxe but it is way too slow to be bearable, remember to use mining gear if you have it (the miner's set, mining potion, slice of cake etc.).
Remember to dig out ~60 blocks further than where the corruption has actually reached, you want to make sure that no corrupt blocks make it to the other side while you are digging it all out. Use a biome sight potion while digging so that no sneaky blocks make it through.

Finally, the corruption has another way of spreading that will need handling, it can reach out using it's thorns which grow on grass to corrupt even further than 6 tiles. Basically, you will need to line the corruption side of the tunnel with a non-corruptible tile like mudstone brick, grey brick, obsidian brick, it depends on what blocks you have the most of, even snow will work for this actually.
This is so that no thorns will grow inside the tunnel and reach the other side, you should only need to do this once on the side the corruption is on since there are no forest thorns.

If you prepare and get the right boosts for it, the tunnel to hell should take 30-40 minutes :\

Oh right, you can also just make the place a hallow biome, eh your choice :)

This might sound weird, but get hallowed seeds from the dryad and turn the area around your house into a hallowed biome. Corruption can't spread into the hallow and NPCs are fine with living there, and then once you have steampunker you should be able to purify the area again.
Nice! How many seeds should i plant tho?

Right now your best possible action to keep the place pure would be cutting the corrupted land out, a large enough hole will do the trick until you can get a clentaminator.
First, you will want a hardmode pickaxe, orichalcum/mythril will do but adamtite/titanium is ideal, though there is not much time so make what you think is the right decision.

Corruption can spread up to 6 blocks away, so you will need to dig out an at least 6-wide tunnel separating the land, this can be a U shaped cutout of the biome or a tunnel to hell, the tunnel is a lot faster but it does mean the rest of your world is unsafe still, you can also just dig out half of the way, since you a buying time instead of a perfect solution. You can do this with a molten/nightmare pickaxe but it is way too slow to be bearable, remember to use mining gear if you have it (the miner's set, mining potion, slice of cake etc.).
Remember to dig out ~60 blocks further than where the corruption has actually reached, you want to make sure that no corrupt blocks make it to the other side while you are digging it all out. Use a biome sight potion while digging so that no sneaky blocks make it through.

Finally, the corruption has another way of spreading that will need handling, it can reach out using it's thorns which grow on grass to corrupt even further than 6 tiles. Basically, you will need to line the corruption side of the tunnel with a non-corruptible tile like mudstone brick, grey brick, obsidian brick, it depends on what blocks you have the most of, even snow will work for this actually.
This is so that no thorns will grow inside the tunnel and reach the other side, you should only need to do this once on the side the corruption is on since there are no forest thorns.

If you prepare and get the right boosts for it, the tunnel to hell should take 30-40 minutes :\

Oh right, you can also just make the place a hallow biome, eh your choice :)
Thank you for the reply!!

Nice! How many seeds should i plant tho?
6 on the side that is the most threatened by the corruption (so it should defend against rogue thorns while it spreads to the house), and 3 on the other side (a screen-ish away from the house) blocked off with some wood to contain the biome should be good.

6 on the side that is the most threatened by the corruption (so it should defend against rogue thorns while it spreads to the house), and 3 on the other side (a screen-ish away from the house) blocked off with some wood to contain the biome should be good.
Thank you!

Thank you for the reply!!
No problem, but... Unless you really want the place to be a purity forest, just do what Esther said :D
Because of the way I like to play the game, a lot of over-preparation, it just never occurred to me how easy the hallow seed method is to do.

Also, be careful with how many hallow seeds you buy, they are shockingly expensive and you want to hold on to that gold for later.

For a few other solutions, Purification Powder is small compared to the clentaminator but still cleanses it. Sunflowers also slow corruption, it doesn't stop them like pre-HM but it helps.

I'd 100% dig a 3 block wide hole (make sure thorns can't gross the gap by making the corrupt side's edge a block like wood) though. Corruption can't cross 3 blocks unless vines, thorns, or plants spread it. Don't worry about corrupt walls in the hole either, since walls can't corrupt blocks even if it looks like they can

Kind of a funny question, but how do i plant the seeds on the ground? never done it before :)

Back
Top Bottom