How do you organize yourself?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Naming chests is extremely helpful, I can’t stress that enough. Also, using specific chest types is also a good way to categorize. In the end, it’s mostly based on you coming up with some sort of system.

This is how I do it

Incoming list of stuff:

Initially, I’ll have around 5. One for armor/weapons, one for blocks, one for accessories/rare drops/tools, one for plants and seeds, and one for mob drops.

When loot begins to over fill said chests, I end up with 3 groups of chests: main, extra, and general storage.

Main includes one for each weapon type, 2 for armors, 3 for vanity, 2 for ores, 1 for blocks, 1 for fishing items, 1 for plants, 1 for mob drops, 1 for seeds, 2 for banners, 2 for furniture, 2 for accessories, 1 for ammo and summons, 1 for pets and joke items, 1 for potions, 1 for music boxes, 1 for misc materials, 1 for mana and health potions, and 1 for oftenly switched out gear. Each only has 1 stack and any full stack is moved to extra storage or sold.

Extra storage is organized in a similar way but with lines of full stacks of items. I start selling things when this storage is full.

Misc storage is where I keep all my rare rng loot that I don’t want to sell, extra unsellable vanity items, and excess blocks in huge amounts. I don’t sort these at all.
What happened to the barrels...

My storage system design:
Have rooms.
Each room is 6x4, with walls floor and roof made out of a material relevant to that particular chest set's contents.
It has 3 chests in, and each of them is sorted in rows.

I just put related stuff in the same chest, Melee, Ranged, blocks, ores, bars, etc...btw etc is the last one

I usually have one big storage building, maybe divided into floors, maybe not.

In my most recent run, I was very specific about where things went. I had General Items (x3), Blocks (x6), Walls (x6), different chests for weapons of each class (ran out of room, would recommend having 2 chests for each if you collect like I do :0 ), Armor (x3), Vanity Armor (x3) (again, ran low on room), Accessories (x6), plants + seeds, healing/mana potions, buff potions, bait, "FIIIIISH!!", statues, banners, aaand it just goes on and on. I know I used the first three of six layers on that storage building, and each layer had 36 chests.

To sum it up, I had put about 108 chests into use before the rest became redundant and unnecessary. Just shows how much storage y'might need sometimes~! :dryadhappy:

Hmm... Simple to answer... for myself.

I usually thematically approach it. Utilizing NPCs, chest types, and building.

Overall I generally have a building style of my own.

• I leave all my ores, bars, explosives with the Demolitionist: Ores & bars get a separate chest. The other 3rd chest is for explosives. I either make his house near a mine or a small mine inside his house a few levels down, if not leading into one of my own mines.
  • Potions go into the hospital I make for the nurse. Red cross to mark the stucco white/grey walls as such, and glass bed & doors. I have yet to organize my potions beyond this unfortunately, as I don't use potions much beyond the healing type.
  • All the wire stuff go into the mechanics house. Which the first version looked like an observatory with a basement, while another iteration was a work area with a bedroom off to the side.
  • Ranged weapons and throwables are with the Arms Dealer. I usually make a hunting cabin for him out in a wooded area. those spikey balls that the goblins drop go in there as well. Ammo will go with him.
  • Living wood Stuff, Seeds, Components, and some natural stuff go with the Dryad. Her house is a living wood tree, or tree stump depending whether or not I want to build one, find one, or not. Regardless living wood is the them and I make it root filled with leafy bits here & there. The seeds go with the plant that grows from it, unless it biome seed; then it is basically in a row at the bottom of the chest. The plants(without seeds) & natural things; spider webs, mushrooms, etc. Also have there own chest.
  • Dye Stuff go with the Dye person. Haven't figured on a theme or special house for this one yet, but at least he gets one of my basic houses; and no it is not just a box.
  • Vanity items and costumes go with the Clothier. I make his house like a clothing store in a way, where you will see 1 of each item on display while any extras are in chests. This is also where I store silk, and sometimes spider web. The main thing I store here though is vanity and costumes.
  • Solution for the cleminator thing go with the Mushroom person. His house is a mushroom, as expected, however with a bit of my own touch to it. I may eventually put mushroom items with it, but I have not gotten that far on the pc version; Only on the console have I gotten that far.
  • paintings, banners, paint items, etc.. got with the Painter. I build a galleria and museum for him to display all the paintings and banners. I may put trophies with him, but more thinking to put that with the arms Dealer, as that would make sense.
  • The merchant get issued some basic stuff I find. Especially the items I want to keep that are common. accessories, summon items, zombie arms, manacles, and just anything that is pretty common that doesn't go anywhere else. Extra containers go with him in a chest of its' own.
  • The guide has all the slime, and a few things similar to what the merchant has. Might make him the storage keeper.
  • I have a main storage which will contain various chests. Wood gets its' own chest, as there are so many types along with building options. Furniture get their own set of chests. Dirt, stone, sand, clay, or anything not processed (not wood) block will go into a single chest. Building blocks get their own chest(s) I put wall blocks with their counter part. I have before separated wall and block, but decided that was too much a hassle. Thematic items like dungeon items I have in their own individual chests. Might as well make chests for each theme with building blocks eventually within this storage area. Also this is where I store speical weapons and armor. Will have a hallway lined with armor displays. Might do the same with weapons, making it an armory of sorts separate from the main storage.
  • Vault or piggy is where I keep weapons, armor, items still in use. As well my coins, and certain amount of supplies that are extra beyond what I keep in inventory. Also mementos go in here.
  • Party items obviously go with the Party girl. Here house is pink...
  • Bones, summons, pets, and general items related to voodoo will be with the voodoo doctor. I might move the boss summon items to him eventually. His house is made in or on the edge of the jungle with a bone,shadewood, ebonwood look usually; with maybe some bits of mahogany. This person is a hermit by nature, or well the way I end up making his house.
  • Wizard I have not gotten on the pc yet, but on the console I was probably going to put accessories with him; and possibly various magical items & weapons.
  • The angler I haven't awoken him yet... I plan to put all sorts of bait and bug displays in his house. Basically like a tackle shop, or fishing oriented like place. Might make a house with a fishing dock for him.
  • The pirate gets the golden furniture and cannons. Mainly just want to put pirate loot with him. Have not thought of what to do with him. I have only gained him on the console version so far.
  • Santa Claus will have christmas themed house and stuff in stow. At least this one will be the easiest to spot.
  • Have not figured on what I am going to put with the stylist, as I just recently got her; happiest day so far.:)
  • Cyborg never gotten, but the steam punker I plan to have steam punk related items, furniture and the like for her. I have only gotten her on console so far.
  • Tinker I put a lot of random things with, and have not really fully decided what to put with him. I do make the house a workshop similar to the mechanic; if not in the same house as the mechanic. (separate rooms in the same house.) This one is related to mechanic, and reason I put them two together.
  • Trash or items I have too many duplicates of go in trash cans I put every where outside of the many houses I build. I don't toss anything I find, or well I try not to. So having trash cans made (lots of iron/lead used) and placed outside various houses makes it easy to just toss duplicates in, and recognize that it is just another duplicate. Easy to find things to sell if I am in dire need of money(most unlikely), or need it as a component to something else. So many lenses...><
Overall I just have an incredible amount of patience that I grew up with learning and fine tuning. One thing is to start by organizing from the beginning like someone else mentioned. It is something I always do, as once a habit, it will stick for a while. At least in my experience. Practice is another tip. Try themes, or match things to what make sense to yourself. It will take time before a habit is formed; at least with this.

That is basically how I organize. Key words are Theme, Logic, and Patience.:D

It's quite easy: you create a number of of chests and separate them in 3 sections: trash loot, crafting materials, blocks.
Then you fill those chests with whatever items you never use. By "never use" I mean the 4 melee weapons that just clutter your invetory since you're a ranger. That kind of cluttering.
You shouldn't make the effort in being organised unless you've set yourself a goal (such as: today, I build a castle or i have to beat that boss, etc.). Don't feel bad about selling stuff if you're not trading anything.

It's quite easy: you create a number of of chests and separate them in 3 sections: trash loot, crafting materials, blocks.
Then you fill those chests with whatever items you never use. By "never use" I mean the 4 melee weapons that just clutter your invetory since you're a ranger. That kind of cluttering.
You shouldn't make the effort in being organised unless you've set yourself a goal (such as: today, I build a castle or i have to beat that boss, etc.). Don't feel bad about selling stuff if you're not trading anything.
You forgot the weapons, ores, bars, bricks, potions, accessories, armour, etc.

Fishing! I forgot fishing.

My main character, Alyssa Zimmerli, loves fishing. She comes from a Switzerland-like land, her original home built into the side of an alpine ridge. From a valley with a central stream, similar to the valley creeks that merge to become the Rhine River, she moved to another world — and thanks to the RNG ended up with her home in an even more mountainous area.

Being pseudo-Swiss, she considers organization and correct procedure to be de rigeur. She's not quite obsessive-compulsive, but does prefer to keep things where they belong. As long as she stays with that policy she can always find what she wants quickly and easily.

The Safe and Fishing

At present several columns in Alyssa's safe are devoted to fishing. That will change later, but while she still has in-game time to fish the safe contains a complete fishing outfit: Angler Hat, Vest, and Pants, Angler Earring, High Test Fishing Line, Tackle Box, all her Angler-reward "commercial" bait plus worms, fireflies, and grasshoppers, a big supply of each fishing-related potion, and of course the Golden Fishing Rod. (One of the Golden Fishing Rods. Once she finally got one, the Angler kept giving her more. It never rains but it pours, as they say.)

Needless to say, each item has its own slot in the Safe. If she could paint little pictures on the inventory HUD showing what was supposed to go in each slot, like a basement carpenter or mechanic with a wall of pegboard-mounted tools, she would.

Thank goodness Terraria doesn't have smell-o-vision output. I'd have to throw out this safe and get a new one.

Fish on Ice

The organization goes deeper.

On the world Thisbe, most of Alyssa's chests and barrels are in her aerial house/shop or on a long shelf suspended just beneath it. Way down on the ground, on a platform over a good-sized pond, are three Ice Chests, a Piggy Bank, a Water Candle so more bait will wander around during rain, and a row of Blue and Pink Jellyfish Jars just because.

In the Ice Chests are stored — what else? — fish. Extra quest fish, caught along with a day's quest and stored in a Piggy Bank or other container so she could catch more. Alyssa tries to catch five of each quest fish. She gives one to the Angler, then deposits the rest in one column in an Ice Chest. Three chests will handle thirty species, which should do for a while. When she runs out there are plenty more Ice Chests in storage, along with dozens of other Chests. All those Chests are neatly stored away…

In one Wooden Chest.

Hammerspace, hurrah.

Last edited:
I feel like my organization system is amazing (wow such humility), but I don't put all my chests into one place, so I end up having to run to some other room of my house to get stuff. All my old armors go on mannequins. Also, I don't use special chests (except gold) for any specific reason. They just look good. Anyways, I label all of my chests with the following names:

• Riches: Pretty much always a gold chest. Money on far left side of chest. Platinum at the top, going in descending value to copper at the bottom. Bottom row: ores: crimtane/shadow on left, going to platinum, gold, tungsten, silver, lead, iron, tin, and copper. Bars of the same ore are always one row above their respective ores. Gems on the top row (sorted by least rare -> rarest). Finally, 2nd row from top has meteorite ore on far left, going to meteorite bars, hellstone ore, obsidian, and finally hellstone bars. Shadow key/golden keys in remaining spaces. Also, chains for some bizarre reason.
  • Potion Materials: Usually, this contains both alchemy plants (including lenses, rotten chunks/vertebrae, etc., and bottles/bottled water) AND the potions themselves, but I recently ran out of space in the main chest, so I created a "potions" chest for all potions. That's it for this really. If I want to put some potions aside for events/bosses, I put them on the bottom row of the potions chest.
  • Hardmode Materials: Self-explanatory. Anything (not weapons) obtainable in hardmode goes in here. If it gets too full, feel free to create separate chests for wings/ammo/weapon materials.
  • Accessories: All accessories.
  • Building materials: anything (not furniture) that can be placed, mainly blocks (even dirt, it's useful for converting to mud & making mushroom farms) and walls. I always hang up banners and such, so they don't go in there.
  • Old weapons: (occasionally misspelled as "old wepons," herp de derp I can't type) pre-hardmode weapons that I don't feel like throwing away. This sometimes includes grappling hooks and/or bombs.
  • Hardmode Weapons: any weapon obtained during hardmode. Easy peasy.
  • Dyes and Vanity: dyes and any vanity item. When I get a complete vanity set, I put it on a mannequin. Also includes silk and cobwebs.
  • Fishing: I sometimes combine this with pets/animals, because I don't do a lot of fishing. This chest contains fishing rods, bait, fish, and sometimes sonar/chest potions.
I'm pretty sure that's it. Hope this was helpful! :D

This is the wildly overkill future-proof storage room design I use in all of my worlds:

storage.jpg

There's a total of 120 chests there, which means 720 iron/lead ore and 960 of whatever chest material, plus 200 platforms. Currently 16 of the chests are vacant; they are crossed out with blue.

It looks confusing at first, but I've been using it for several months now, so I pretty much have it memorized. And because it's exactly the same for every playthrough, I can jump to another world and still know precisely where everything is without even looking at the labels.

This is the wildly overkill future-proof storage room design I use in all of my worlds:

View attachment 37780

There's a total of 120 chests there, which means 720 iron/lead ore and 960 of whatever chest material, plus 200 platforms. Currently 16 of the chests are vacant; they are crossed out with blue.

It looks confusing at first, but I've been using it for several months now, so I pretty much have it memorized. And because it's exactly the same for every playthrough, I can jump to another world and still know precisely where everything is without even looking at the labels.
I assume not because you've already made it, but barrels would cut down on the material cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom