How do you organize yourself?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't understand how people can become so organized in this game. To me, it seems hopeless. I'm afraid to start an organization system for fear that storing everything will take too long or that it will be so confusing that it's pointless. What do you do? Usually I just dump everything into a gigantic vault and hope for the best, but afterwards it takes forever to find things. I feel as though I'll get to the point where if I don't start getting my stuff together soon, It'll be too late already.

So, again, what do you do?

Organize in rows?
Organize with labels?
Organize with rooms?

EDIT:

A corollary to this question; How in the world do you organize yourself potion-making-wise?

Last edited:
I just started playing the PC version a few days ago. I love the fact that you can name your chests. I have them for ores, potions, fishing/bait, building material,junk, weapons... when your pointer goes over the chest it says the name of it. Easy Peasy... :)

I start to organize as soon as I get my first chest, which is usually prior to the construction of my base. My first chest is often the ore/bar/money/gem chest, and my second chest is a potion/potion material chest. Then, I commence to make a more intricate system that would eventually contain statue chest, weapon chest, accessory chest, et cetera. You must start this from the start, otherwise you will - as you mentioned - feel that it is hopeless.

Naming chests is extremely helpful, I can’t stress that enough. Also, using specific chest types is also a good way to categorize. In the end, it’s mostly based on you coming up with some sort of system.

This is how I do it

Incoming list of stuff:

Initially, I’ll have around 5. One for armor/weapons, one for blocks, one for accessories/rare drops/tools, one for plants and seeds, and one for mob drops.

When loot begins to over fill said chests, I end up with 3 groups of chests: main, extra, and general storage.

Main includes one for each weapon type, 2 for armors, 3 for vanity, 2 for ores, 1 for blocks, 1 for fishing items, 1 for plants, 1 for mob drops, 1 for seeds, 2 for banners, 2 for furniture, 2 for accessories, 1 for ammo and summons, 1 for pets and joke items, 1 for potions, 1 for music boxes, 1 for misc materials, 1 for mana and health potions, and 1 for oftenly switched out gear. Each only has 1 stack and any full stack is moved to extra storage or sold.

Extra storage is organized in a similar way but with lines of full stacks of items. I start selling things when this storage is full.

Misc storage is where I keep all my rare rng loot that I don’t want to sell, extra unsellable vanity items, and excess blocks in huge amounts. I don’t sort these at all.

Last edited:
PFFFFFFFff, who needs to organize?

Just chuck them thingz in deh chest!

divider.png

:pirateindifferent:

So basically I use chests. I have these chests:

1x-To Sell :)red: to sell)
1x-Terrain (For Dirt, Stone, Clay, Wood etc.)
2x-Blocks (For cool blocks like: Lihzahrd bricks, Crimstone, Gold Bricks, etc.)
2x-Accessories (Some left over accessories)
2x-Weapons (Some leftover weapons)
2x-Consumables (Ammo, summoners, etc.)
1x-Ores and Bars (Ores and Bars)
1x-Potions (Just for potions)
1x-Plants (Plant stuff)
1x-Furniture (For NPC houses and decor)

I use piggy banks all the time when I go out for some big explorations.

I carry the bare essentials (Weapons, Tools, Armor, Accessories, Light sources, Money, Potions, Grappling Hook, Magic Mirror)

I have a chest system.
Example: all weapons go in like sky chest, the Ores/bars will go In jungle. Then random junk goes In gold.

I haven't different chest for ores, weapons, potions, potions making stuff (all the plants and seeds), accessories, stuff dropped by mobs (ex: crused flame), and random jubk

Last edited:
Organization? Oh right, that's what people who aren't lazy do. Yeah, I attempt to organize, but get like one chest in and get bored.

I have chests for natural blocks, artificial blocks, ores and gems, metal bars, stuff that drops from mobs and environment and for decorations in my main crafting room, ammo goes to Arms Dealer's room while weapons go into adjacent one, explosives are in the chest in Demolitionist's room, light sources, wires and mechanisms are in Mechanic's room, food stuff and dishes are in the kitchen, magic weapons and accessories are in wizard's tower.

i have a huge ocd when it comes to sortig my stuff out. its currently killing me the way my base is (im new to PC and still getting used to things) im in hardmode and im like, where the hell did i put my spelunker potion, where is this, where is that. "the twins have awoken, due to your untidyness" crap, damn you un-OCD-ish self.

on mobile version however... i love it... its just great. everything is where it should. need a flail, its on the 2nd row 3rd from left. need a vamp knives? top shelf, exact middle... need a :red: load of dirt? dig for it, i aint having that crap in my chests.

:)red: to sell)
Profanity filter fail... lol.

Anyways, I guess I'll share what I use while I'm here.

Blocks: Dirt, Stone, Bricks, etc. that you don't want to outright throw away (if you're a builder) and want to keep for later just in case.

Materials: Excess Gel and Wood (I always keep some on my character for making Torches, Flaming Arrows, Platforms, etc.) and other non-Ore crafting materials such as Lenses, Rotten Chunks, Vertebrae, Souls, Broken Hero Swords, and pretty much anything that has no use except to be crafted into something else.

Ores: Ores and Bars, with each stack of Bars adjacent to their respective Ore. (I will usually keep Shadow Scales, Tissue Samples, and Obsidian adjacent to Demonite, Crimtane, and Hellstone (respectively) as well, instead of keeping them in the Materials/Blocks Chests, just because they are required in their recipes.)

Piggy Bank:
Money (duh), Accessories, and Vanity/Pet items. (Keep a few of these in outposts around the world so you can access them easily.)

Safe: Frequently used Armor sets and other frequently used items. (Keep a couple of these in outposts around the world so you can access them easily.)

Additional optional Chests:

Alchemy: Daybloom, Blinkroot, Moonglow, Deathweed, Shiverthorn, Waterleaf, Fireblossom, and their respective Seeds, along with Potions, Bottles, and common Potion ingredients like Glowing Mushrooms. I usually keep this near an Alchemy Table setup (Table + Bottle) and the Materials Chest.

Fishing: Bait (organized by Bait Power) and Fish. (If you have an Alchemy Chest, keep this nearby, since a lot of fish are Potion ingredients.)

Dyes: Self explanatory. Just a place to keep any and all Dyes.

As others, just keep anything categorical in the same chests; ores, blocks, furniture etc.

One thing I now do with potions though. I can never remember the bloody recipes for potions so I'll put the ingredients in the chest with the potion at the beginning. For example, the rows of my potion chests will look like this:

Ironskin Potion :: Iron ore :: Daybloom :: Bottled Water
Mining Potion :: Antlion Mandible :: Blinkroot :: Bottled Water

etc. Now I know what the recipe is and have all the ingredients there to make them.

I've been naming and painting chests and barrels for a while now. It helps immensely.

I keep mined non-ore blocks in barrels outdoors near my crafting base. Dirt blocks (might need them for backfill) go in unpainted barrels, gray painted barrels for Stone, Mud in brown (paint covers the iron hoops so you can tell them from unpainted ones), Sand/Clay/Ash in yellow painted barrels, green for Silt and Slush waiting loot extraction (mnemonic: green is the color of money), red for "exotic" materials such as Crimstone, Meteorite, Hellstone, etc.

Haven't got around to painting chests indoors on my current main world, but I've a scheme for that too.

Have a chest each labeled (ex,ores,weapons,) and stuff it in there
for your inv make little sections for each item,

No matter how organized you think you are, make a small world and turn it into an item storage hub world. You can keep basic crafting stuff on your main world, but all those weapons you don't use anymore that you don't want to sell? They have no place taking up room on your main world if you aren't hanging them on weapon racks.

For an example of what I mean, refer to this image: http://i.imgur.com/lmvYtK2.jpg
You can use varying chest types to sort items by "value" or "rarity" or whatever, such as putting your melee weapons into shadow chests or putting Ankh ingredients into Lihzard chests. Make it look as good or as bad as you want, but just make sure you know where to go when you want to look for something.

In other words, just slam down chests. Lots of chests. Put maybe four or five in one hallway, slap down a sign telling you what's there, and name each of the chests as well to find what you're looking for faster. It's a lot of work (it took me about four hours to build my boring box housing + transfer all my stuff + organize everything) but it's worth it to have all your stuff in a neat, centralized location. You can take organization any direction from this point, so you're only really held back by how much stuff you have or how short your attention span is.

I recommend a small world since they load faster and you can get to the dungeon easier if you want to add NPCs such as the Mechanic and the Goblin, it's faster to mine to hell if you want to go into HM, easier Lihzard location, so on so forth.

No matter how organized you think you are, make a small world and turn it into an item storage hub world. You can keep basic crafting stuff on your main world, but all those weapons you don't use anymore that you don't want to sell? They have no place taking up room on your main world if you aren't hanging them on weapon racks.

For an example of what I mean, refer to this image: http://i.imgur.com/lmvYtK2.jpg
You can use varying chest types to sort items by "value" or "rarity" or whatever, such as putting your melee weapons into shadow chests or putting Ankh ingredients into Lihzard chests. Make it look as good or as bad as you want, but just make sure you know where to go when you want to look for something.

In other words, just slam down chests. Lots of chests. Put maybe four or five in one hallway, slap down a sign telling you what's there, and name each of the chests as well to find what you're looking for faster. It's a lot of work (it took me about four hours to build my boring box housing + transfer all my stuff + organize everything) but it's worth it to have all your stuff in a neat, centralized location. You can take organization any direction from this point, so you're only really held back by how much stuff you have or how short your attention span is.

I recommend a small world since they load faster and you can get to the dungeon easier if you want to add NPCs such as the Mechanic and the Goblin, it's faster to mine to hell if you want to go into HM, easier Lihzard location, so on so forth.
Yeah... My Console house (which I'm not very proud of) used to be a box housing a tower of NPCs and a bunch of chests dispersed in it, but not it's three side by side towers of NPCs, a Guide house under the stairs with crafting junk, and chests above that. Takes me forever to find the :red: I want, and by the time I do, I forgot why I wanted it.

Often, my best way of organizing in this game is creating different NPC houses made of certain materials, and then create a chest for that room that suits the theme and holds the generally related items. For example, I build the Clothier's house out of dungeon bricks and skull lanterns (yes I'm evil), and I place a crafted dungeon chest on a metal shelf that holds all the dungeon-related items.
And of course, ever since I started playing, I always stored bars into a gold chest near the Guide or Merchant. That's just tradition.

I have a "vault" world with a crapload of chests, arranged in rows, labeled, and with no NPCs around to block access to them.

Also, I don't keep everything. I used to, but thanks to most brick/block textures looking "different"* in 1.2, I only keep snow, glass and gel as far as blocks and materials go - and I have a whole lot of buff potions, of which I've crafted a grand total of zero.

But the thing is, I don't restart, don't limit characters to one world, and don't bother with trophies and other such RNG-slavery-contract items.

In short: It's easier to be organized when you have priorities, I guess?

* That's code for ":red:ing ugly."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom