How do you think about your Terraria pets, mounts, and minions? Names? RP-type interactions?

Bethany

Empress of Light
So far in late pre-hardmode play I've found or crafted several pet, mount, and minion summoning items: Zephyr Fish, Tartar Sauce, Amber Mosquito, Unlucky Yarn, and Magic Pumpkin Seed; Fuzzy Carrot and Hardy Saddle; Slime Staff, Hornet Staff, and Imp Staff.

In my imagination some of the summoned creatures have more personality than others, so I tend to want to name them. Here are the names I've given.
  • Black kitty, summoned using the Unlucky Yarn = Eater of Mice, even though she never eats them while I'm looking. Must be after I shut down the game.
  • Zephyr Fish, summoned using the Zephyr Fish item = Frank, after Italian filmmaker Franco Zeffirelli. An allusion but not really a pun since Zeffirelli's name is derived from the word (spelt "zephyr" in English) for a light breeze.
  • Baby dinosaur, summoned using the Amber Mosquito = Saint Claude, after one of the arondissements in the French division of Jura. The Jurassic period and the division were both named for the Jura Mountains, the movie Jurassic Park was named for the geological period, and the Amber Mosquito and baby dino are a reference to the movie.
  • Giant bunny, summoned using the Fuzzy Carrot = Harvey, named for Elwood P. Dowd's companion pooka in the play of the same name.
  • Imps, summoned using the Imp Staff = Da Boys, who speak in a thick Brooklyn, New York street-tough accent. I imagine that when asked whether different imps come every time I use the staff, they would reply "We dunno, boss! We can't tell ourselves apart eitha."
How about you? Do you name your pets, et cetera? Do you imagine them as having personalities, think about talking with them, asking their advice, telling minions to stop being lazy and go fight something?

I tend to call the Twins minions the Twinions. Except when I have a veritable army of the guys, then they're The Mob.

Outside that, the Turtle pet will always be Tank to me, and my trusty Bee Mount is named Arthur.

Thread moved to the Crossroads: General Cross-Platform Talk section. The Off-Topic section is NOT for Terraria related topics. If you wish the thread to be in a platform specific section, then please report the opening post and request the thread be moved to the desired section.

How I call them pets?

Pets who are just there to be cute: Useless trash.
Light-giving "pets" (wisp and such) : Useful trash.
Enemy-attacking summons: DPS

I don't waste time nicknaming pixels.

How I call them pets?

Pets who are just there to be cute: Useless trash.
Light-giving "pets" (wisp and such) : Useful trash.
Enemy-attacking summons: DPS

I don't waste time nicknaming pixels.
I swear they are slaves. And one thing you don't do with slaves is naming them.

The only slaves I consider useful are the wisp(for the light) and that weird sapling cause it lights up areas when it flies.

I give them names occasionally, but I don't really give them personalities. Come to think of it, I should start doing that, sounds fun! :D

@Razor Knight & @Freenight : If that's how you like to play the game, great. I prefer a more immersive experience. I'm more into imaginative play than a direct drive for the goal, so to me thinking about the other creatures and people in the game is enjoyable. One of the best things about Terraria is that players can have fun in many different ways.

@Super Prism : Can't hurt, takes next to no effort, and I find it makes the game milieu seem deeper. I get more play value approaching the game this way, feel more engaged with the game when things become familiar. Names are a big part of familiarity. Also, pegasister/brohoof to you! /) (\

Thanks to everyone who's shared their thoughts so far.

I suck at naming, so i prefer not to do it. But if i would have a chance to name a pet of mine, it would be the Crash bandicoot mask, don't know the in-game name. It would be called: Mr. Floaty.

I named the Frost Hydra Fludd.

The Sharknadoes? Taz.

The Twins? Spazzy and Contackt.
Yes, it is spelled that way.

If I could have a penguin I'd name it either Gunter or King Dedede.

I don't name my pets, but I name the bosses. I don't give them personalities
Eye of Cthulhu: Eric.
Eater of Worlds: Geoffrey and Jane.
Brain of Cthulhu: Brock.
Skeletron: Skelly.
Queen Bee: Queenie.
Wall of Flesh: Waffle.
The Destroyer: Dessie.
The Twins: Retty and Spaz.
Skeletron Prime: Skelly Prime.
Plantera: Terry.
The Golem: Golem.
Duke Fishron: Fishyron.

Baby Dinosaur: T-Bone and Rodan, named after my little brothers stuffed animal T-Rex and Pterodactyl.
Baby Penguin: Shady, after ShadyPenguinn.
Skeletron Head: Darkside, after a character a made a long time ago.
Turtle: Winston. Winston will rule the world one day.
Baby Truffle: Louie, after another character I created.
Baby Snowman: I don't have this one yet Q-Q
Baby Eater: Soul-Air, after everyone's favorite SunBro.
Baby Hornet: Beedrill, because Pokémon.
Sapling: Makar, after the sapling from WindWaker.
Tiki Spirit: Crash, in homage to the Crash Bandicoot games.
Eyeball Spring: Alior, another created character (And brother of Louie).
Black Cat: Loki, named after my sister's cat.
Cursed Sapling: Stumpy. :>
Spider: Freja, after The Duke's Dear Freja from Dark Soul's 2.
Puppy: Pal. No idea why.
Squashling: Bogmire, the name I use for any Pumpkin companion in video games. He's my partner.

I named my pet werewolf jacob .
In all seriousness though i have only named two pets which Are :
my pet worm which i named , jeff, since that was the first worm i killed in worms 3 ._.
And my zombie called ed
Short for ed gein ( serial killer that inspired the Texas chainsaw movie)
Annndd the rest of them i normally name them random rude words

I don't name my pets but I do simplify whatever the pet is named to my liking. Such as the Mini Minotar, I just call it minotar. I'm sure a lot of people do this.

Some interesting replies here, quite a few surprises. I had to think twice about "Waffle."

Good on all of ya for giving your imaginations free rein.

My, how time passes. I finally got around to naming a few of my newer pets and mounts.
  • Unicorn mount — Shahmat, from the Persian phrase شاه مات that taken literally means, approximately, "the king is helpless." In English it became "checkmate." I use Shifting Sands Dye so she looks desert-like, so I considered various Arabic and Persian names.
  • Slime mount — Oscar, inverting the owner-pet relationship between Oscar the Grouch and Slimy the Worm on Sesame Street.
  • Baby Eater pet — Kronos, after the Titan who was also a baby eater.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom