How to farm for mimics?

IXBlackWolfXI

Terrarian
I've tried making farms I've found online, but the stupid things only seem to spawn mimics after sitting there for 20 minutes, holding a water candle and chugging battle potions non-stop. I've only found 4 so far, and the fourth one was a hallowed mimic that was able to teleport into my afk volcano and slaughter me, rendering one of my farms completely useless for farming mimics.

I can't fill up all the empty space around my farms, my map seriously has more empty space than it does dirt. I would have to fill up my inventory with stacks upon stocks of dirt blocks just to fill up all the spaces in my caverns so I have a decent mimic farm.

Does it actually have to be in the caverns? Long ago before 1.2 I built one in the underground, it worked fine. Can an old farm like that still work???

I asked this on yahoo answers, but I still haven't got a reply, and for some reason I can't find a guide on this site on how to build a mimic farm that gives you 1. mimics you can kill, and 2. mimics that spawn more than one every half hour (real time).

Maybe I'll just go into the game right now and see if building an old mimic farm near the surface still works.

This is stupid. No matter where I dig down, I run into massive caverns that literally have no end. Normally I struggle to find such caverns, I have to tunnel everywhere just to find ore. I've gotten into the habit of rushing over to the jungle as soon as I can before I even start searching for ore because I rarely find caves, I have to dig from the surface and dig my way to every single ore pocket. Now, I literally can't find a spot underground that ISN'T massive empty space that makes it impossible to get a cross necklace.

This is getting beyond stupid. I can't progress because I don't have the items I need, and I can't find freaking mimics at a decent rate so I can actually get the items I need. I mean, this isn't even technically grinding. Its me just holding a water candle for hours on end praying to god that a stupid mimic will spawn, and that it won't give me a third philosopher's stone.

Why don't you just try and find Mimics by means of moving about? Mimics don't lend themselves well for the purpose of AFK farming without any traps or the like.

If you have a Hellbridge you can try to obtain spider gear and then farm mimics in the Underworld. The only thing you should care about is standing on a place that about 40 blocks above the bridge so the Mimics can spawn, then your spiders slay them.(Or you can use Pirate Staff)

@Kazzymodus

I've actually done that, run around my caverns in circles holding a water candle. I think I did stumble upon a corrupt mimic once, which of course slaughtered me. These corrupted and hallowed mimics take off 90% of my hp with one attack.

If it matters what equipment I'm using, an adamantite repeater with adamantite armor (ranged helmet). With my accessories, my armor is 40 something. And I have a titanium sword. And yes, I have 400 hp.

I also tried the thing of falling down my hellevator with a hunter potion active, no luck.

And as for my traps, one is an afk volcano with dart traps set up to talk up mimics (it did get me one gold mimic when I first built it).

The other is just a long track I run along holding a water candle. That one got me two brown mimics. It hasn't produced another one though for some reason.

Maybe I'll go and try to run around my caverns again. There really isn't much in the way of flat ground for them to spawn on (I have a lot of tall caverns with steep walls).

Spent probably an hour running around all the caverns I've exposed. Found a frost mimic, and a gold mimic. Still don't have my cross necklace though. Eventually, I got tired of hunting for mimics, so I got myself some battle potions, stood on the highest floating island I could, just to grind the wyvern. With all my jester arrows and my adamite repeater, I was able to kill it in seconds. Don't know how many times I killed it. Got myself some wings now at least. I guess that's progress. Still don't know how long its going to make me to get my cross necklace.

And just so we know, I haven't really been mining much. I found the hardmode ores so rare I gave up on it, and just fished for crates. That was so much more effecient. I actually crafted all my armor and my weapons with ore I fished for. Adamite didn't even spawn in my world.

Maybe wait a bit for a Blood Moon or something that rapidly changes the mob spawn rate. When I had Blood Moons, I've got at least 2-3 surface mimics during the night.

You can get mimics on the surface during a bloodmoon???

Yeah. They appear often during Blood Moons. Just leave some empty space, even close to the spawn and they might appear on the surface or slightly underground. I recommend a Lifeform Analyzer for this.

Ironnically, my house is in the jungle. I originally built a little city for my npcs near the center of the map, because I never liked the apartment building look. But I found this very difficult to defend during a bloodmoon, or a goblin invasion (when either happened I would run off a good distance away to fight the mobs just to protect my npcs). And besides, I wanted a demon alter in my crafting room so I spent hours building a brand new house in the jungle, and transferring my 3 dozen chests over there.

Sadly though I don't really have a good arena. When a bloodmoon came I would just run back over to the arena I was originally using, but that's now being overtaken by the corruption. The hallow in the world actually cut right through a corruption area when it spawned, preventing it from spreading. I had to make a small hallow biome just to keep the corruption from destroying my jungle (my house is built out of mahogany). I also ended up making another larger hallow biome just so I could farm hallow mobs (that's how my more elaborate mimic farm got hallowed, I filled in the gaps with pearlsand since the entrance is right next to a desert).

As for the situation around my house, I built it into the side of a mountain (I had to if I wanted that demon alter in my house). On the right side are huge pools that I fish in (they're natural, and I don't see anyway I could drain them). To the left is a long field of shallow water, which leads to a corrupted area that's separated from my jungle by a single hallowed chasm. That's where I've been doing my goblin evasions, sadly though there's a large track of land suspended in air above this area (its a natural formation I turned into a mahogany farm), which kinda makes aerial mobs hard to kill. Like I said, I would just run back to my original arena when a bloodmoon started, but now its completely corrupted, and the corruption is starting to spread through my original base too.

And I did think about putting some jungle blocks (rows of mud seeded with jungle grass) in a space I had filled with pearlsand, to try and increase the spawn rate, but after getting owned by a hallowed mimic, I probably won't be using that farm anytime soon. I was using it during a few bloodmoons, but since its in the caverns I don't think I really got the benefit of it.

And as for my other farm, I think I'll take some holy water and turn it into a crystal farm. Like I said, the hallow isn't naturally spreading because its cut off by corruption on both sides, so I haven't really been able to farm crystals. My crappy mimic farm is just a long stone platform (or a pair actually, 3 spaces apart), so it would be an ideal structure to use for a crystal farm. Well, that one's actually under my original base, so maybe I should just build a new farm much closer to my current base.

What kind of farms are you making?

Personally I find it easier to just dig out a large square and use it as an arena, flying around, killing stuff as I go. I'm constantly running into mimics.
If you dig out such an arena you'll need to make sure everything spawns to the left and right of you. Make sure the area above your arena doesn't have too many caves where enemies can spawn in. Below the arena, just dig everything out and put lava in there so enemies can't spawn there either.

If you do it right it'll end up looking like a big empty square with a giant bridge in the middle.

If you like I can go make some screenshots.

I think I would prefer screen-shots.

As for what I'm building, basically I just replicated what this guy made:

My cheap farm I mentioned is basically what his started off as before he built the 'volcano'.

I also built a jungle spore farm much earlier, but I botched it because I didn't know to flood all the platforms to stop ferns and such from growing.

Another 'farm' I made before that was just a glass greenhouse where I grew potted plants. I still haven't built a new one near my new house. I still haven't depleted the stockpile I brought over from the first house.

And I'm not sure how to move huge quantities of liquid in this game. I do have some liquid replicators, though they're not that big really. I also made a cheap stair replicator to fill in a pond for my fisherman npc. I didn't have access to pumps at the time, the thing was literally just me running up and down the stairs with buckets of water. I deconstructed it once I got the pond filled.

This is one of my arenas, zoomed out:
arena2.png

They're all basically like this. The ceiling has been dug out to a nice height, so enemies don't spawn there and get stuck.
The bottom has been dug out and filled with lava (which was conveniently available here) and several small caves in the botton also got a small layer of lava so enemies can't spawn there. I filled up any remaining caves with a few rows of tiles, so space is too narrow for anything to spawn.
I made sure there's not even one tile for them to spawn on, except left or right of the bridge.

I didn't make use of any traps since:
- I kill stuff much quicker than traps.
- The new mimics basically throw hair in your soup anyway since they attack through blocks, so you have to keep moving.

Click on the image for a close-up.
Ignore the railroad. It's just there for kicks 'n giggles.

I've never built anything even close to that size. I have built an arena before, but I didn't find it very useful (I couldn't shoot through the platforms).

Just had a bloodmoon. Not a single mimic spawned. I was fighting in the corruption, on the surface.
Then go underground and spend time hollowing out a giant box similar to what has been posted. The time you spend looking for mimics blindly (and complaining about not finding them) could be spent just digging out a box to fight stuff in. It doesn't even need to be hallowed or corrupted if you just want regular mimics, so you don't need to worry about biome mimics ruining your day. If you're having trouble with little caves everywhere eating spawns, then get a lot of sand or put in little lava layers as previously suggested.

Personally though, I've just never gone out of my way to look for them. If I get an early cross necklace that's neat, but if I don't then I just make do with what I've got.

If your luck is exceptionally bad over time though, I suppose just post a thread in the trading forums asking for a cross necklace. There's plenty of hoarders out there that have about twenty too many of them.

Last edited:
Just had a bloodmoon. Not a single mimic spawned. I was fighting in the corruption, on the surface.
Been a while since I've played, but as far as I know all mimics spawn underground, with the exception of the Frostmoon mimic and maybe that brown one.

You need to be deep underground. Running across the surface is going to net you nothing.

Decided to make another mimic farm, this time in the underground (instead of the caverns). I got 2 mimics to spawn. I got myself some dynamite and used it to harvest a few stacks of sand from a 'normal' desert (and a meteorite while I was at it). Still have gaps to fill in, mostly in the ceiling. I may make a afk volcano here too. Though I think first, I'll put down some jungle tiles to increase the spawn rate. Btw, one of those mimics spawned in a space above my farm. I discovered it when I decided to go exploring with a hunter potion, since my radar thing was showing more than 10 enemies consistently, but I rarely ever saw one. I did fill in a few spaces, and now I see a non-stop stream of enemies. Still though, I don't actually see any until my radar shows more than 4 enemies. Still have a few gaps I guess.

Can anyone tell me how far away enemies can spawn from you? I thought I had it all covered, but there was one water-filled chamber I hadn't seen that had like 6 or 8 mobs in it, and I even saw a few in areas I had already filled when I went to explore this new chamber.

Back
Top Bottom